The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Johan Mattss » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00


Medlas/10 millons

1, Australia 22.78
2, Neatherlands 12,78
3, Denmark 11,48
4, Irland  11,17
5, Sweden  9,06
6, Germany 7,95
7, Finland 7,83
8, Greece  7,65
9. Canada  7,43
10, France 6,36

Other great nations..;)

Russia 4,27
USA with the amazing score of 3,84

So whatever you say....USA was really bad in this olympic as usually...

Source: Eurostat

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Debbie O'Lear » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Medlas/10 millons

>1, Australia 22.78
>2, Neatherlands 12,78
>3, Denmark 11,48
>4, Irland  11,17
>5, Sweden  9,06
>6, Germany 7,95
>7, Finland 7,83
>8, Greece  7,65
>9. Canada  7,43
>10, France 6,36

>Other great nations..;)

>Russia 4,27
>USA with the amazing score of 3,84

>So whatever you say....USA was really bad in this olympic as usually...

>Source: Eurostat

Is this supposed to be funny? Because I didn't see any smiley faces. We
would have to win 500 medals by this logic. Do you see that this would
not be possible? Or is that your goal? Give the U.S. an impossible job --
THAT WAY WE CAN BEAT THEM!!!! Yeah!!! We're so proud of ourselves!!!
Debbie

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Anders Thelem » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>1, Australia 22.78
>2, Neatherlands 12,78
>3, Denmark 11,48
>4, Irland  11,17
>5, Sweden  9,06
>6, Germany 7,95
>7, Finland 7,83
>8, Greece  7,65
>9. Canada  7,43
>10, France 6,36

I can't see Tonga here!    :)
How was this calculated?
#

http://www.algonet.se/~anderst/bik/bik.htm

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by mach » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Subject: The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

>Date: 15 Aug 96 16:09:47 GMT
>Medlas/10 millons
>1, Australia 22.78
>2, Neatherlands 12,78
>3, Denmark 11,48
>4, Irland  11,17
>5, Sweden  9,06
>6, Germany 7,95
>7, Finland 7,83
>8, Greece  7,65
>9. Canada  7,43
>10, France 6,36
>Other great nations..;)

Actually hans...they're gonna figure the medals count out by medals/hemorrhoid
sufferers...

How many you need??

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>Russia 4,27
>USA with the amazing score of 3,84
>So whatever you say....USA was really bad in this olympic as usually...
>Source: Eurostat

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Peter Kin-Ym Kw » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

The medal "density" (medal divided by population size) is NOT a
good measure of the "goodness" or athletic superiority of a
nation because (1) population of a nation varies from moment
to moment and (2) im most events (like basketball) each
country is allowed to send only one team or a fixed number of
representatives regardless of the population size of that
country.  Counting the density biases in favor of the less
populous countries.

Peter

--
Peter K. Kwok                   |  "The best therapy to nonsense

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~kwok  |          --- Paul Kurtz (1989)

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by David Wut » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

[some nonsense about the best nation...]

The best Nation did not compete in the Olympics... only the best ATHLETES.

And... *SUPRISE*... all the best Athletes were winners just by being there.
And their victory was AWESOME!!!

David

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by R Weems » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Other great nations..;)

: Russia 4,27
: USA with the amazing score of 3,84

: So whatever you say....USA was really bad in this olympic as usually...

 Thank you for this information. Now go back to whatever insecurities
you might have about your country in relation to the US.

 All of these posts remind me of the old commercials where the other
copier brands salesman would say "It's just as good as a Xerox". All these
people from so many countries are spending so much energy trying to
convince us that they are just as good or better as the US.

 So who really has the insecurity here ?

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Johan Mattss » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>>Medlas/10 millons

>>1, Australia 22.78
>>2, Neatherlands 12,78
>>3, Denmark 11,48
>>4, Irland  11,17
>>5, Sweden  9,06
>>6, Germany 7,95
>>7, Finland 7,83
>>8, Greece  7,65
>>9. Canada  7,43
>>10, France 6,36

>>Other great nations..;)

>>Russia 4,27
>>USA with the amazing score of 3,84

>>Source: Eurostat

>Is this supposed to be funny?

This is not my statistics.. It is the offical EU statistics institution
named Eurostat and I just did forward it...

Quote:
>Or is that your goal? Give the U.S. an impossible job  

This is fact and nothing else..This 21 countries that was included in
this statistic and no, It's not my goal..My goal was to give you some
facte from Eurostat.I think it's quite amazing of Australia to take 41
medlas with a populotion of 18 millons..Do you agree with me??
 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Kari Yli-Ku » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

[..]
: Is this supposed to be funny? Because I didn't see any smiley faces. We
: would have to win 500 medals by this logic. Do you see that this would
: not be possible? Or is that your goal? Give the U.S. an impossible job --
: THAT WAY WE CAN BEAT THEM!!!! Yeah!!! We're so proud of ourselves!!!
: Debbie

Now, was _this_ supposed to be funny?? I didn't see any smileys either...

--
/Kari (male, btw.)
--
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by uchi » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>> Medlas/10 millons

>> 1, Australia 22.78

>> Other great nations..;)

>> Russia 4,27
>> USA with the amazing score of 3,84

>When do I get my .000000384 share of a medal?

>Jennifer

You are a darling indeed !! :-))
 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by Jesper Laurids » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
> All of these posts remind me of the old commercials where the other
>copier brands salesman would say "It's just as good as a Xerox". All these
>people from so many countries are spending so much energy trying to
>convince us that they are just as good or better as the US.
> So who really has the insecurity here ?

I'm not here to pass judgement, but the typical american seems very
defencive every time this issue is raised. Perhaps they're a wee bit
insecure?
 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by WizardOfO » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00


Quote:


>>Medlas/10 millons

[...]

Quote:
>Is this supposed to be funny? Because I didn't see any smiley faces. We
>would have to win 500 medals by this logic. Do you see that this would
>not be possible? Or is that your goal? Give the U.S. an impossible job --
>THAT WAY WE CAN BEAT THEM!!!! Yeah!!! We're so proud of ourselves!!!
>Debbie

Deb,

You don't have to win 500. You just have to win enough so that you deny
the other countries from getting a higher medals/10 million population
score.
The best thing about these threads on alternative medal tallies, I think,
is how much they stir the Americans. Sorta like how their silly claims of
"Michael Superman Johnson Is The Fastest Man In The World" stirs us.
Let's call it even...

Martin.

 
 
 

The best Nation in Atlanta was Australia....

Post by WizardOfO » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00


Quote:


>> Medlas/10 millons

>> 1, Australia 22.78

>> Other great nations..;)

>> Russia 4,27
>> USA with the amazing score of 3,84

>When do I get my .000000384 share of a medal?

>Jennifer

I want mine too!
And do I deserve a bigger share for cheering more and staying up late? :-)
(Oh no, my first "me too" post!)

Martin