American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by olympic_watch » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
major league pros to demolish these guys???

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Ed Surany » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

> Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> major league pros to demolish these guys???

Because the major league is just coming upon the most critical part of
the season -- the last few games of the regular season and the start of
the league championship series.  None of the major league baseball
teams will ALLOW their best players to go to Sydney.  And frankly, most
of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
winning a gold medal.

If I remember correctly, in Nagano the NHL hocky season was actually
put on hold during the Olympics, so that NHL stars could play there.
Baseball decided not to do that.

Ed Suranyi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by White Zombi » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> major league pros to demolish these guys???

The olympics are _supposed_ to be for excellence in "amatuer" sport, and MLB
is professional.  However, that isn't the case with hockey or basketball in
the olympics... I suspect it has more to do with the almighty dollar.
Baseball players are not willing to take time off from a pennant race to
play for nothing on the other side of the planet.

Just a guess, anyway.

BTW, I'm new to the group.. hullo all...

WZ

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by midi-ma » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

An idea that I had is that there could be a world championship of
baseball played sometime between November and February, possibly in
the southern hemisphere for warm weather.  This is so the US pros
could go.  

midi-man

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Thor Storfjel » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Quote:


> > Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> > haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> > major league pros to demolish these guys???

> Because the major league is just coming upon the most critical part of
> the season -- the last few games of the regular season and the start of
> the league championship series.  None of the major league baseball
> teams will ALLOW their best players to go to Sydney.  And frankly, most
> of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
> winning a gold medal.

> If I remember correctly, in Nagano the NHL hocky season was actually
> put on hold during the Olympics, so that NHL stars could play there.
> Baseball decided not to do that.

> Ed Suranyi

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You could still put together an incredible team from players on teams who
are not in contention for post season play.
 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Sam » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

The IOC removed the world amateur from its charter long ago.  It was a hoax
anyway.  I mean those guys playing hockey for the USSR could probably not
fire a gun any better than I can.

It is not a matter of the baseball players not wanting to take the time off,
the Games are occurring in the midst of a pennant race.  If you are near
Toronto that should be evident since they are in the hunt for a playoff
berth.  If you live in Montreal, you probably are not even aware of the
existence of baseball:)  The players have contracts with their teams and
must honor them.  In fact one of the better US players was recalled from
Sydney because his team needed him for the playoff run.

Taking a "break" in the season would be bad for baseball.  The season
already stretches from the end of March (or beginning of April depending on
how the calendar falls) to the end of October potentially (in fact it could
even go into November).  Taking 3 weeks off is not practical.

In future Games where the dates are in July or August (as has become the
norm when held in the Northern Hemisphere), using minor leaguers makes a lot
of sense.

As for the game against the Cubans, look at the average age and experience
level of the members of the team.  I bet the Cubans are several years older.

As for never having heard of them, I bet few people had ever heard of the
1984 team although several players went on to good to great major league
careers.

Quote:



> > Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> > haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> > major league pros to demolish these guys???

> The olympics are _supposed_ to be for excellence in "amatuer" sport, and
MLB
> is professional.  However, that isn't the case with hockey or basketball
in
> the olympics... I suspect it has more to do with the almighty dollar.
> Baseball players are not willing to take time off from a pennant race to
> play for nothing on the other side of the planet.

> Just a guess, anyway.

> BTW, I'm new to the group.. hullo all...

> WZ

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by olympic_watch » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:21:39 -0400, "White Zombie"

Quote:



>> Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
>> haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
>> major league pros to demolish these guys???

>The olympics are _supposed_ to be for excellence in "amatuer" sport, and MLB
>is professional.  

That was before MONEY was associated so much with winning medals. And
ALL Cuba players (in any sport) are PROS. The IOC is as much to blame
for this situation as any one as they are the biggest money g***s
in the world. But baseball now allows PROS and I just wanted to see
the USA pro players kick some Cuban butt...
 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Les Bonse » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

To answer the question at hand, I'd guess they're either minor league
players or college players.

Les

--
Les Bonser
Writer and Photographer
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
http://home.att.net/~photodoglv (Home of the PhotoDog!)
http://home.att.net/~lbonser (Personal home page including fan fiction and
toy poodle info)


Quote:


> > Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> > haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> > major league pros to demolish these guys???

> Because the major league is just coming upon the most critical part of
> the season -- the last few games of the regular season and the start of
> the league championship series.  None of the major league baseball
> teams will ALLOW their best players to go to Sydney.  And frankly, most
> of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
> winning a gold medal.

> If I remember correctly, in Nagano the NHL hocky season was actually
> put on hold during the Olympics, so that NHL stars could play there.
> Baseball decided not to do that.

> Ed Suranyi

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Mike Hal » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:40:35

Quote:

>> Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
>> haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
>> major league pros to demolish these guys???

>Because the major league is just coming upon the most critical part of
>the season -- the last few games of the regular season and the start of
>the league championship series.  None of the major league baseball
>teams will ALLOW their best players to go to Sydney.  And frankly, most
>of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
>winning a gold medal.

>If I remember correctly, in Nagano the NHL hocky season was actually
>put on hold during the Olympics, so that NHL stars could play there.
>Baseball decided not to do that.

Hmm, I wonder if they renamed it from the World Series to something
more like what it really represents whether they might consider going
for gold instead. :P

Same deal with european soccer though, a lot of over aged players
just aren't able to attend whether they wanted to or not.


 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Om » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Quote:


> And frankly, most
> of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
> winning a gold medal.

What countries actually play in the "World Series"
 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by M. Zaiem Be » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

->What countries actually play in the "World Series"

Baseball's World Series is named that because the World Newspaper in New
York sponsored the games. It's just an example of corporate sponsorship
from a long time ago. The name stuck and people naturally assume it's
called the World Series because it's supposed to be "the best in the
world".

While teams do refer to major league championships as "world titles"
(which is completely silly), this is not one of those cases.

     -M. Zaiem Beg

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Jim Lede » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Most of the athletes in the Olympics ARE professional. Very few could
actually qualify as true amateurs. How about those cute Chinese gymnasts,
given over to the state at an early age and raised to be nothing other than
'gymnasts'. Seems like a PRO to me...

--

***************************************************
               Jim Leder
         IBM retiree since 1996
 Amateur radio operator K8CXM since 1961
          PC bigot since 1981
***************************************************

Quote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:21:39 -0400, "White Zombie"



> >> Who are these American baseball players who lost to the Cubans?  I
> >> haven't heard of any of them... Why don't the Americans send in their
> >> major league pros to demolish these guys???

> >The olympics are _supposed_ to be for excellence in "amatuer" sport, and
MLB
> >is professional.

> That was before MONEY was associated so much with winning medals. And
> ALL Cuba players (in any sport) are PROS. The IOC is as much to blame
> for this situation as any one as they are the biggest money g***s
> in the world. But baseball now allows PROS and I just wanted to see
> the USA pro players kick some Cuban butt...

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by Sam » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Canada has 2 major league teams.

Also a lot of countries are represented in the major leagues and their minor
league affiliates.  Almost every Central American country and many South
American countries have players in the Major Leagues.  Add to that list
players from Japan, Korea and some Australians and the league is decently
represented.

At the time the World Series started, the US was pretty much the only place
where baseball was being played so in a sense it was the championship of the
baseball world.  (Okay I stretched that last one:)

Quote:



> > And frankly, most
> > of those players consider winning the World Series more imporant than
> > winning a gold medal.

> What countries actually play in the "World Series"

 
 
 

American Baselball Olympians... Who are these guys?

Post by T.R. » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Childish -THUGS!