Track & Field

Track & Field

Post by Larry Ehm » Thu, 23 Jul 1992 23:26:42


Does anyone know what the US record is for most top 3 finishers at the
Track & Field Trials who have not competed at the Olympics?  

Most people know by now that Kami Keshmiri had more than back problems
after the Trials.  My understanding is that his positive test was from
April.  Why didn't it surface until after the Trials?

The heartbreak kid, Steve Placencia, who finished 4th in both the 10,000
and 5,000 now has both events to choose from.  Neither Ken Martin (10K) or
John Gregorek (5K) made the Olympic standards.  I've heard Steve will run
the 10K only.  This would provide the 5K spot to Rueben Reina, who was a
bit under the weather at the trials and was the next best finisher to hit
the Olympic Standard.

Anyone know more about the women's javelin and other events where being in
the Top 3 at the Trials hasn't meant a trip to Spain?

Who is the lowest finisher at a Trials to actually make a US Olympic team?

Any more news on whether or not Patti Sue Plumer will run the 1500m at
Barcelona.  Immediately after the Trials she was considering/fairly certain
to step aside and let the fourth place finisher, Mary Slaney, get another
shot at the Olympics.  I haven't heard anything since then, but I believe
Slaney has either been sick or a bit injured and might not be able to race
anyway.

Larry Ehmer

 
 
 

Track & Field

Post by Marc Reid » Fri, 24 Jul 1992 01:22:37


Quote:

>Does anyone know what the US record is for most top 3 finishers at the
>Track & Field Trials who have not competed at the Olympics?  

  I don't know the answer to this question, but I noticed yesterday in
T+FN that in the men's running events, only 8 spots (out of 30) were
filled by repeaters from 88.  Johnny Gray was the only Trials champ to
repeat.  For the women it was 9 repaeaters out of 27.  The field events
had a slightly better percentage of repeaters, but not by much.  This
says a lot about the depth of talent in the US>

  However my guess is that repeat Olympians is probably much more common
now than in earlier years.  The making of track into a somewhat
professional sport means athletes can have long careers spanning more
than one Olympiad.  Before this I guess most athletes left the sport
after an Olympic appearance to earn a living.

Quote:
>Most people know by now that Kami Keshmiri had more than back problems
>after the Trials.  My understanding is that his positive test was from
>April.  Why didn't it surface until after the Trials?

  Keshmiri claims innocence, and the story he told is quite suspicious.
It's hard to tell who is cheating and got caught, versus who is being
framed and who is cheating and not being caught.  What a mess.

Quote:
>The heartbreak kid, Steve Placencia, who finished 4th in both the 10,000
>and 5,000 now has both events to choose from.  Neither Ken Martin (10K) or
>John Gregorek (5K) made the Olympic standards.  I've heard Steve will run
>the 10K only.  This would provide the 5K spot to Rueben Reina, who was a
>bit under the weather at the trials and was the next best finisher to hit
>the Olympic Standard.

>Anyone know more about the women's javelin and other events where being in
>the Top 3 at the Trials hasn't meant a trip to Spain?

  Amber Welty got her qualifier in the high jump.  In the javelin, I
think Karin Smith is going.

Quote:

>Who is the lowest finisher at a Trials to actually make a US Olympic team?

  Doug Padilla finished near last at TAC last year in the 5000 but made
the World Champs team since no one else in the final had a qualifier.

Quote:
>Any more news on whether or not Patti Sue Plumer will run the 1500m at
>Barcelona.  Immediately after the Trials she was considering/fairly certain
>to step aside and let the fourth place finisher, Mary Slaney, get another
>shot at the Olympics.  I haven't heard anything since then, but I believe
>Slaney has either been sick or a bit injured and might not be able to race
>anyway.

  I don't think Slaney was named to the team.  As you mentioned, she has
dropped outof European meets for medical reasons.

Quote:
>Larry Ehmer


  Only 9 days until the fun starts.

        Marc Reider


 
 
 

Track & Field

Post by nagor.. » Sun, 26 Jul 1992 02:49:24

Marc Reider writes that Doug Padilla made the US World Champs team in the 5000
last year because he was the only finalist who had made the cut. Actually,
there was at least one athlete who had the cut and finished in the top 3:
Bob Kennedy, graduate of Indiana and Westerville North High School here in
Columbus, who went on to make the finals and then qualify for the Olympics last
month. I got to race Kennedy once in high school, actually, although not head-
to-head: at a relay meet he anchored the 4X1600 relay and I lead off for
another team (they got first, we got second :-)). The only Olympian I've ever
competed against, although I have swum at meets that Joe Hudepohl has competed
in.
Anyone else care to share their experiences competing against Olympians?

nate

 
 
 

Track & Field

Post by Karen Kud » Sun, 26 Jul 1992 05:36:04

Quote:

>Anyone else care to share their experiences competing against Olympians?

>nate

    I have an indirect experience to share.  The event happened a year or two
before I joined the swim team at my high school, so I only heard about this
incident from several people, including my sister, who were on the team at the
time.  

    I went to high school in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.  The late Victor Davis
was also a high schooler in Guelph, but at a different school.  He was on a
relay team (I don't remember if it was the medley relay or freestyle) along
with Mike West and two other students from the same high school.  Their relay
team lapped our relay team (or came very close to lapping us) and our relay
team lapped the other 4 teams (or came very close to lapping them).  Our
swim team ended up winning the overall meet, however.

Karen

 
 
 

Track & Field

Post by David Co » Mon, 27 Jul 1992 18:51:34

Quote:

>Marc Reider writes that Doug Padilla made the US World Champs team in the 5000
>last year because he was the only finalist who had made the cut. Actually,
>there was at least one athlete who had the cut and finished in the top 3:
>Bob Kennedy, graduate of Indiana and Westerville North High School here in
>Columbus, who went on to make the finals and then qualify for the Olympics last
>month. I got to race Kennedy once in high school, actually, although not head-
>to-head: at a relay meet he anchored the 4X1600 relay and I lead off for
>another team (they got first, we got second :-)). The only Olympian I've ever
>competed against, although I have swum at meets that Joe Hudepohl has competed
>in.
>Anyone else care to share their experiences competing against Olympians?

>nate

Well, almost. I'm a moderately competitive cyclist, and the Australian
Institute of Sport cyclists (who make up almost all of our Olympic cycling
team) train in Adelaide, where I live. There are only two velodromes in
Adelaide (3 soon, thanks to our new 250m, 43 degree bank, indoor, wooden
velodrome - nearly completed), and most track racing is held on only one
of these, from October through to March, every week, mainly on Friday night,
sometimes on Saturday. Most races though, are separated into grades, so
A grade will be mostly AIS riders, and I end up in C or D grade ... But
once, the main event for the night was an '800m derby' - something like
5 or 6 person sprints. Anyway, in my heat of that, I found myself sitting
on the wheel of Robert Burns, Commonwealth Games gold medallist in the
50km Point Score ! (yes, I lost :-) I might look through my old programs,
to see if I've raced against any of the current Olympians.

Now that I think about it, it would be easy to race against them - each
year, there is a criterium held around the streets of Adelaide, and that
often has not only a top quality Australian field, but sometimes world
class (eg, Last year, I think, Danny Clark, one of Australia's and the
worlds best 6-day event riders, was in it, as well at Steve McGlede,
winner of World Championship 50km Point Score, and Gary Neiwand, one
of the top 3 sprinters for some years now). But, because they have to
close off city streets to run this race, they don't have time to run
more than the junior, women's, and men's races, so there are no graded
races : therefore, if I entered it (after improving my fitness about 50%, of
course :-), I could say I've raced against _lots_ of Olympians :-)

(I should also mention that Stuart O'Grady is a member of the same cycling
club as me (Port Adelaide District ACC) :-) Go Stuart ! Go Australia ! :)

--

Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths, Adelaide Uni.
"Behind the lines, a face that glimmers. Still looking for a face that shines."
       - Heartland, The Sisters of Mercy