Hockey-What else.

Hockey-What else.

Post by Malcolm M. Sn » Sat, 13 Nov 1993 13:50:45


When are you people going to realize that Ranford, Belfour, and
Potvin are all overrated, especially Belfour. I would like to
hear comments on Barrasso. I Know he is not playing well not,
but I think before the year is up he will prove just how good
he really is. The Pens would not have won two cups without him.
Roy no doubt is the best. Montreal would not have won the cup
without him either. Most goalies are only as good as the defense
before them. Great goalies win games by making great plays
without a supporting cast. Not many great ones these days.
They are a dime dozen.  GooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooPens.
 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Rob Polinsk » Sat, 13 Nov 1993 10:33:59


Quote:
>When are you people going to realize that Ranford, Belfour, and
>Potvin are all overrated, especially Belfour. I would like to
>hear comments on Barrasso. I Know he is not playing well not,
>but I think before the year is up he will prove just how good
>he really is. The Pens would not have won two cups without him.

Yeah, that's true, but the Penguins may have won a 3rd Cup if they didn't
have him.  Obviously, you're not going to win games when you give up 6 and 7
goals but that was obviously what happened in games 4 and 6 in Nassau.
Barrasso just plain stunk.  He's really struggling so far this year.  Wregget
seems to be pretty sharp.  I would play Wregget for awhile and let him handle
it until he goes bad.  Maybe it'll teach Barrasso a lesson.

Quote:
>Roy no doubt is the best. Montreal would not have won the cup
>without him either. Most goalies are only as good as the defense
>before them. Great goalies win games by making great plays

Really?  The Penguins have no defense!!!!!!! (giggle)

Quote:
>without a supporting cast. Not many great ones these days.
>They are a dime dozen.  GooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooPens.

2-2-2 road trip.  6 losses in 18 games.  Pathetic for a team that only lost
21 games last year. :(


Pens: '91, '92 Champions    + '93 - '94   -  1. Better Than You-Lisa Kei.


 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Aron Wallak » Sat, 13 Nov 1993 23:01:40


: When are you people going to realize that Ranford, Belfour, and
: Potvin are all overrated, especially Belfour. I would like to

   Oh yeah, I really think Ranford is overrated. Like the other
   night when Edmonton's totally lame defense allowed Detroit,
   a very strong offense even without Stevey Y., to take 48 shots
   on net - and the Oilers still managed to win 4-2. Right.
   Put Bourasso in that situation and he would probably have
   a *** allergy by the end of the night. If Ranford was
   backstopping for Philly,Toronto,Montreal,New Jersey or any
   larger-market team with actual defen***t he would be a
   MAJOR star, as opposed to "that poor guy who plays net for
   the Oilers" Check out his save % some time, for Ranford a
   90% level is LOW. Plus Ranford's been doing this for years
   now - get a life, if anything Ranford is underrated by
   virtue of the fact that most of the hockey media ignores
   him for being in Edmonton.
   (Although it was nice to see him interviewed on TSN
    yesterday).

   -Aron
-----------------------------------------------------------------

| IBM - PC Cards & Subsystens          | IBM Toronto            |
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The views expressed here are not neccesarily those of my employer;
not even the coherent ones.

 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Deepak Chhab » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 00:38:46



Quote:
>When are you people going to realize that Ranford, Belfour, and
>Potvin are all overrated, especially Belfour.

One out of three isn't bad....Belfour is very overrated, IMO.  Ranford
is, if anything, _underrated_.  Potvin isn't yet as good as some people
think, but he (IMO) is in the top four in the league (Roy, Ranford, and
Joseph are the other three).  After these four you have goaltenders like
Vanbiesbrouck, McLean, Essensa, Terreri, Belfour, etc, all of whom are
*good*, but not what I would call elite.  Barrasso probably fits in with
this category.  Put it this way:  if it was OT in game seven of the
Stanley Cup Final, who would you want minding your net?  I'll take the
first four I mentioned, in that order.

--
Deepak Chhabra                 |  "If it weren't for physics and law

 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by MACLEOD » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 00:02:07

If any of you are involved in hockey pools, you may be interested in the
Hockey Pool Manager, a computer program designed to save you time and effort
tracking your pool, large or small. Please address any interest through EMail.
 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Nelson » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 09:33:47

Quote:

>this category.  Put it this way:  if it was OT in game seven of the
>Stanley Cup Final, who would you want minding your net?  I'll take the
>first four I mentioned, in that order.

Hmmm...  Wouldn't you want Ron Hextall?  Then, you don't need to waste
a roster spot dressing a goon... :-)

===============================================================================
GO EDMONTON OILERS!  Go for playoffs!  Bill Ranford for Vezina!
GO DALLAS STARS!  Go for playoffs!  Ulf Dahlen for Lady Byng!
===============================================================================

rec.sport.hockey contact for the San Jose Sharks

 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by MACLEOD » Mon, 15 Nov 1993 07:08:15

If any of you are involved in hockey pools, you may be interested in the
Hockey Pool Manager, a computer program designed to save you time and effort
tracking your pool, large or small.
Please address any interest through EMail.
 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Michael Collingrid » Wed, 17 Nov 1993 04:14:07

Quote:


>: When are you people going to realize that Ranford, Belfour, and
>: Potvin are all overrated, especially Belfour. I would like to

>   Oh yeah, I really think Ranford is overrated. Like the other
>   night when Edmonton's totally lame defense allowed Detroit,
>   a very strong offense even without Stevey Y., to take 48 shots
>   on net - and the Oilers still managed to win 4-2. Right.
>   Put Bourasso in that situation and he would probably have
>   a *** allergy by the end of the night.

Or how about by the end of the second period? Saturday, Barrasso
faced 23 shots on goal in two periods of play, and let in 7 goals.
Well, EJ had seen enough and replaced Tom with Wregget who held the
Wings scoreless with 16 shots on goal in the 3rd.

Granted the Pens defense wasn't all there in that game. Even so that is
what Ranford has to face day in and day out and he still manages just
fine...

Quote:
>                                             If Ranford was
>   backstopping for Philly,Toronto,Montreal,New Jersey or any
>   larger-market team with actual defen***t he would be a
>   MAJOR star, as opposed to "that poor guy who plays net for
>   the Oilers" Check out his save % some time, for Ranford a
>   90% level is LOW. Plus Ranford's been doing this for years
>   now - get a life, if anything Ranford is underrated by
>   virtue of the fact that most of the hockey media ignores
>   him for being in Edmonton.

Couldn't of said it better. Ranford would be a welcomed addition in
Detroit. But I hear Sather will not even consider traded him until
close to the deadline in March. Oh, well, just in time for the playoffs.

Quote:
>   (Although it was nice to see him interviewed on TSN
>    yesterday).

>   -Aron
>-----------------------------------------------------------------

>| IBM - PC Cards & Subsystens          | IBM Toronto            |
>-----------------------------------------------------------------
>The views expressed here are not neccesarily those of my employer;
>not even the coherent ones.

MC
--
Mike Collingridge|"...One, two! One, two! And through and through| The
Disclaimer: Any  |    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!       | Power
views expressed  | ..."   -- Lewis Carroll's _Jabberwocky_       | Play!

 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Lori Iannami » Fri, 19 Nov 1993 13:09:38



Quote:

>Yeah, that's true, but the Penguins may have won a 3rd Cup if they didn't
>have him.  Obviously, you're not going to win games when you give up 6 and 7
>goals but that was obviously what happened in games 4 and 6 in Nassau.
>Barrasso just plain stunk.  He's really struggling so far this year.  Wregget
>seems to be pretty sharp.  I would play Wregget for awhile and let him handle
>it until he goes bad.  Maybe it'll teach Barrasso a lesson.

Yes, Barrasso played poorly.  But so did the entire team.  They
were outcoached, outplayed and outhustled by the Islanders.  The
loss was a team effort.  And even if they had squeaked past the
Islanders, I doubt they'd have lasted 4 games against the Canadiens.
They just weren't playing well enough.  To assume they would
have won the Cup again is absurd.  Hell, they struggled against
NJ.  They were not prepared for a third cup run.

And, considering how much you whoop it up about the Pens, I'm surprised
(Well, no I'm not.)you don't know that Barrasso usually does struggle
at the beginning of every season until the month of December.  Last
year's great start, by Barrasso's own admission, was a fluke.  

Lori

 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Rob Polinsk » Fri, 19 Nov 1993 23:30:06


Quote:

>Yes, Barrasso played poorly.  But so did the entire team.  They

                                              ______
Well, Francis had a good series :)  He got ejected in game 6, but that was
questionable.  I saw the game live and thought it was a bad call.  In game 7,
with the Penguins trailing 3-1, I told the person next to me that the
Penguins were finished unless Francis rescues them.  Boom -- one goal and one
assist, just like that.  Francis is definitely the unsung hero!  (Well, Errey
was.  He still is! :) )

Quote:
>were outcoached, outplayed and outhustled by the Islanders.  The

They were for much of the time, I agree.

Quote:
>loss was a team effort.  And even if they had squeaked past the

A loss is always a team effort, so is a win.  Some people just***or shine
 more than others, though.  My argument is that Barrasso was a Vienza trophy
candidate (Some may beg to differ, but he was among the final three candidates)
I don't care how bad your defense sucks, if you're a Veienza trophy candidate
you should not be giving up 6 goals in the playoffs, especially twice.  (The
7th goal in game 6 was an empty netter)  Yes, the Blackhawks were swept, but
Belfour never gave up 6 goals.

Quote:
>Islanders, I doubt they'd have lasted 4 games against the Canadiens.

I beg to differ.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but after the Penguins
survived past the Rangers and Caps, they turned it on.  Once you get to
that point in the playoffs, you want it more.  The Penguins just said, "Oh,
this a preliminary round, who really cares?"  That's what the Rangers did
in '92 against the Penguins.  You would have thought that the Penguins
learned their lesson from what they did to the Rangers.

Quote:
>They just weren't playing well enough.  To assume they would
>have won the Cup again is absurd.  Hell, they struggled against

I'm not assuming that they would have won the Cup.  I said they might have.
Big Difference, Lori!  You're saying the Pens might have been swept by the
Candaiens.  To assume they would have been swept is absurd.

Quote:
>NJ.  They were not prepared for a third cup run.

Exactly!

Quote:
>And, considering how much you whoop it up about the Pens, I'm surprised
>(Well, no I'm not.)you don't know that Barrasso usually does struggle
>at the beginning of every season until the month of December.  Last

Hell, Barrasso has always struggled.  He's never been a consistent goaltender
until last year.  Given his regular season performance last year, some of us
were hoping that he would show some consistency for a change (Obviously you're
not one among us or you wouldn't have wrote the above).  Instead, he's taking
the Mario Lemieux "#$%^ it until the playoffs" attitude.  That was the
attitude they had in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs last year.  Some of
us are really concerned (Oh, you're not on the mailing list, you wouldn't
know that) about this attitude and about the lack of defensive strategy in
the coaching.  This team looks the Penguins of 87-88-89-90 with the "We'll try
to score 10 goals and hope to only give up 9"  It's an attitude the kept the
Penguins out of the playoffs for 3 of those 4 years. '86 was a so-so year.
I think the Penguins were finding themselves in 84-85-86.

Quote:
>year's great start, by Barrasso's own admission, was a fluke.

That's why I'm saying give Wregget a chance.  He did all right in Barrasso's
abscence to start off the year.  He WANTS to play.  He might not be as good
as Barrasso, but someone who WANTS to play and has the attitude to try their
best is better than someone who doesn't have a 'who cares' attitude.  Granted,
the defense is real lousy in front of them.  I think Barrasso is tired of
shining for a poor defense...but Roy did that quite a few times last year
which led to the Habs winning a lot of games they else would not have won.

Quote:
>Lori


Pens: '91, '92 Champions    + '93 - '94   -  1. Better Than You-Lisa Kei.
STEELERS 23, AFC Champs 0   - Lady Lions  +  2. I'd Do Anything-Meat Loaf
Pens 11, Flyers 5 -- Jagr!  + basketball  -  3. Again-Janet Jackson
 
 
 

Hockey-What else.

Post by Anna Matya » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 22:00:06

On 18-Nov-93 in Re: Hockey-What else.        

Quote:

>Hell, Barrasso has always struggled.  He's never been a consistent goaltender
>until last year.  Given his regular season performance last year, some of us
>were hoping that he would show some consistency for a change (Obviously you're
>not one among us or you wouldn't have wrote the above).  Instead, he's taking
>the Mario Lemieux "#$%^ it until the playoffs" attitude.  That was the

I'd like to know where you read or heard Barrasso say that he's taking
a "wait until the playoffs" attitude this year.  I think if anyone is
concerned about the whole team (all season long) it's Barrasso.  His
attitude towards shut-outs is an example of that.

I'm ambivalent about Barrasso (as I am about most goaltenders) but your
comments irked me a little.  From the way you write it's difficult to
tell if you're repeating something you heard him say in an interview or
if it's just your opinion that he's cruising.

Quote:
>That's why I'm saying give Wregget a chance.  He did all right in Barrasso's
>abscence to start off the year.  He WANTS to play.  He might not be as good
>as Barrasso, but someone who WANTS to play and has the attitude to try their
>best is better than someone who doesn't have a 'who cares' attitude.  Granted,
>the defense is real lousy in front of them.  I think Barrasso is tired of
>shining for a poor defense...but Roy did that quite a few times last year
>which led to the Habs winning a lot of games they else would not have won.

Your argument is full of holes, Rob.  First you say that Barrasso has
a bad attitude and is just waiting for the playoffs; then you say that he's
tired of shining for a poor defense.  And then you say that he's always
inconsistent -- if so, how is it he's tired from shining?  If he's
inconsistent, he's NOT shining.  And if he shines just occasionally, how
could he be so tired of that already?

Anna