Mario is talking about retirement

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by one bad-ass bit » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 15:48:19



Quote:
>    Mario has had problems in the past with referees who never call any
> penalties.  Because of his complaining last time, the league instituted rules
> that were supposed to limit clutching and grabbing.  However, after three

        I thought this had more to do with the slowing down of the game
due to lesser talented teams employing a 'neutral zone trap' and not some
cow-towing to one player.

Quote:
> weeks...things were back to the normal ways.  Now, Fraser is requesting that
> Mario be suspended.  This is so disheartening to Mario that he is talking
> about retirement.               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                   oh please.            

        Go. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote:
> He now refuses to do anything to promote the league in any
> way shape or form.

        He _can't_ do anything to promote the league. He is unmarketable.
I wish people would understand that. He may have impressive statistics
and be an excellent player but you cannot market statistics. He is
uncharismatic and unco-operative and fundamentally uncomfortable with
being marketed. He dislikes the public persona. You will fail trying to
market someone like this because it takes too much effort. It's like
trying to get *** out of a stone.

Quote:
> As teammate Ron Francis said
> People like Mario and Gretzky are the reason fans come to the games.  They
> don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.

        Then let Ron Francis retire. Let the rest of the ***ing Penguins
retire and have Mario skate around in front of 19,000 people alone. Let's
see how many people come out to watch that. People don't come out to
"watch the stars". They come to watch hockey. "Average players" make up
the game of hockey. Mario Lemieux is used, the way Wayne Gretzky is, to
introduce and get people _initially_ interested in the game. The 'average'
players are what keep people there. Without them, who would Mario pass
to? Who would pass to him? Who would try and stop the shots? Would a
string of empty netters be really _that_ exciting?

Quote:
> It's about
> time the league does something to protect their stars.

        I'd rather they protect the 'average player'. It's the prima
donna attitude that sickens me and it's that cow-towing to it that keeps
players like Tom Barrasso from getting due credit on nights he's played
brilliantly. (And playoff series, she wrote thinking of a Conn Smythe
trophy that sould have been awarded to Barrasso a few years ago.)

Quote:
> The NFL protects
> quarterbacks, and the NBA used to protect Jordan, so why doesn't the NHL
> learn from this?

        Why be like everyone else?

Cyn


                             let's shave the cat

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Mike Lana » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 21:18:12



: > don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.

:       Then let Ron Francis retire. Let the rest of the ***ing Penguins
: retire and have Mario skate around in front of 19,000 people alone. Let's
: see how many people come out to watch that. People don't come out to
: "watch the stars". They come to watch hockey. "Average players" make up
: the game of hockey. Mario Lemieux is used, the way Wayne Gretzky is, to
: introduce and get people _initially_ interested in the game. The 'average'
: players are what keep people there. Without them, who would Mario pass
: to? Who would pass to him? Who would try and stop the shots? Would a
: string of empty netters be really _that_ exciting?

People don't come out to see hockey, they come out to see the best players
in the world play hockey. Otherwise they would save their 30+ dollars per
seat and go see a rat hockey game for free. People don't pay to see Dirk
Graham, they pay to see Jeremy Roenick. A team without stars is like....
well, it's like Hartford. Put Mario Lemieux, Gretzky and Federov on the
Whalers, and they'd sell out.

: > It's about
: > time the league does something to protect their stars.

:       I'd rather they protect the 'average player'. It's the prima
: donna attitude that sickens me and it's that cow-towing to it that keeps
: players like Tom Barrasso from getting due credit on nights he's played
: brilliantly. (And playoff series, she wrote thinking of a Conn Smythe
: trophy that sould have been awarded to Barrasso a few years ago.)

Barrasso is a slightly above average goalie at best who has been in the
right place at the right time. He's wearing two Stanley Cup rings on his
hand because of Mario Lemieux.

: Cyn

Michael Lanasa


 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Neil Horns » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 04:08:40


: Well, it's time for Mario to talk about retirement.  After finally getting
: his back into what appears to be good shape, Mario has resumed playing.
: He appears to be back to his phenomenal self which should boost Pittsburgh
: to another Stanley Cup.  However, in the game the other night against Tampa
: Bay, Mario was repeatedly hauled down by flagrant penalties.  In one instance,
: Mario was coming in shorthanded and was tackled by two Tampa players.
: After looking to referee Kerry Fraser for a penalty, he layed on the ice for
: a couple of seconds in disbelief as Fraser didn't call anything.  This pissed
: Mario off.  Granted, sometimes Mario takes dives to draw penalties (all
: players do) and sometimes he is accused of whining, but this time he had a
: legitimate gripe.  Still, no penalty.
:       So, later in the first period, he was again being victimized by some
: Tampa player.  Mario again saw no penalty coming, so he elbowed the guy.
: This time there was a penalty, but it was against Mario.  He went to the
: box without any trouble, but when he got there he flipped out.  He threw his
: stick back onto the ice and Fraser subsequently gave Mario a 10 minute
: game misconduct.  Mario got extremely upset and charged Fraser from the penalty
: box.  If it wasn't for teammates Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr, Mario might
: have gotten to him.  Anyway, he was ejected from the game.
:       Mario has had problems in the past with referees who never call any
: penalties.  Because of his complaining last time, the league instituted rules
: that were supposed to limit clutching and grabbing.  However, after three
: weeks...things were back to the normal ways.  Now, Fraser is requesting that
: Mario be suspended.  This is so disheartening to Mario that he is talking
: about retirement.  He now refuses to do anything to promote the league in any
: way shape or form.  Frankly, I can't blame him.  As teammate Ron Francis said,
: People like Mario and Gretzky are the reason fans come to the games.  They
: don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.  It's about
: time the league does something to protect their stars.  The NFL protects
: quarterbacks, and the NBA used to protect Jordan, so why doesn't the NHL
: learn from this?
:       It will be a sad day in Pittsburgh if Mario retires, but if he does
: retire I would not blame him one bit.  He spends all season busting his ass
: to come back from back surgery, not to mention the many other comebacks, just
: to be the victim of flagrant violations that would only serve to put him out
: of the game again.  It has to stop somwhere.

I agree completely!  I would also not blame him if he retired.  The poor
guy has never and will never get the respect that he deserves from fans
and other players.  He is the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey.  He will never
be able to do anything to make his critics happy.  I just hope that he
will forget his critics, play for his team and fans, and bring another cup
to the 'burgh.  I hope that he doesn't worry about the morons who don't
respect him.  There are a few of us who realize how amazing he is.

: The opinions expressed above are mine only and are probably right  :)
Yes, they are!

Neil Hornsey

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Jason Cockro » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 03:43:18

Quote:
> :  Then let Ron Francis retire. Let the rest of the ***ing Penguins
> : retire and have Mario skate around in front of 19,000 people alone. Let's
> : see how many people come out to watch that. People don't come out to
> : "watch the stars". They come to watch hockey. "Average players" make up
> : the game of hockey. Mario Lemieux is used, the way Wayne Gretzky is, to
> : introduce and get people _initially_ interested in the game. The 'average'
> : players are what keep people there. Without them, who would Mario pass
> : to? Who would pass to him? Who would try and stop the shots? Would a
> : string of empty netters be really _that_ exciting?

> People don't come out to see hockey, they come out to see the best players
> in the world play hockey. Otherwise they would save their 30+ dollars per
> seat and go see a rat hockey game for free. People don't pay to see Dirk
> Graham, they pay to see Jeremy Roenick. A team without stars is like....
> well, it's like Hartford. Put Mario Lemieux, Gretzky and Federov on the
> Whalers, and they'd sell out.

That's true in towns like LA.  Did anybody notice that the rink was
half empty 12 minutes left in the "802" game with the Kings down by 2.  
Totally disgusting.  Are these hockey fans or mere wannabees?  Should the
league cater to their whims?  Sure it is a business to some, and some of
those wannebee "fans" have bucks to spend ... but it has nothing to do with me
or why I enjoy the game.  Hockey is a team sport.

-jake.

shaaaaAAARRRKKKKK ATTACK!
Epicenter 209/16/5

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Steve Co » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 04:18:55

Please do!
 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Richard Stuev » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 06:42:48


Quote:

>    So, later in the first period, he was again being victimized by some
>Tampa player.  Mario again saw no penalty coming, so he elbowed the guy.
>This time there was a penalty, but it was against Mario.  He went to the
>box without any trouble, but when he got there he flipped out.  He threw his
>stick back onto the ice and Fraser subsequently gave Mario a 10 minute
>game misconduct.

Which was completely deserved.

Quote:
>Mario got extremely upset and charged Fraser from the penalty
>box.

According to the rule book, this is worth a ten-game suspension.  It's
very clearly spelled out; there is no room for interpretation.

It's Rule #66, if you want to look it up.

Quote:
>If it wasn't for teammates Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr, Mario might
>have gotten to him.  Anyway, he was ejected from the game.

Which was completely deserved.

Quote:
>Now, Fraser is requesting that
>Mario be suspended.

Fraser has no choice, and neither does the League.  Mario has earned
himself a ten-game suspension.  It's that simple.

Quote:
>This is so disheartening to Mario that he is talking
>about retirement.

Gee, that's too bad.  Maybe he should take up badminton.

Quote:
>He now refuses to do anything to promote the league in any
>way shape or form.  Frankly, I can't blame him.  As teammate Ron Francis said,
>People like Mario and Gretzky are the reason fans come to the games.  They
>don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.

His teammate Ron Francis is wrong.  Fans go to the games to see hockey,
not whining punks.

Quote:
>It's about
>time the league does something to protect their stars.  The NFL protects
>quarterbacks, and the NBA used to protect Jordan, so why doesn't the NHL
>learn from this?

Football is a dull boring game.  Basketball is worse.

Quote:
>    It will be a sad day in Pittsburgh if Mario retires, but if he does
>retire I would not blame him one bit.

Many Penguins fans have adopted Mario's whining attitude as their own,
it would seem.

Quote:
>He spends all season busting his ass
>to come back from back surgery, not to mention the many other comebacks, just
>to be the victim of flagrant violations that would only serve to put him out
>of the game again.  It has to stop somwhere.

Yep...it has to start with consistent enforcement of all of the rules,
regardless of the salary of the offending player.

See ya, Mario.  Have fun on the golf course.

gak

---

        Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance.
        It is a species of untemperance within itself, for it goes
        beyond the bonds of reason in that it attemps to control a
        man's appetite by legislation and makes crimes out of things
        that are not crimes.  A prohibition law strikes a blow at the
        very principles upon which our goverment was founded.

                        - Abraham Lincoln, December 18, 1840

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by one bad-ass bit » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 17:09:51

Quote:



> : > don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.

> : see how many people come out to watch that. People don't come out to
> : "watch the stars". They come to watch hockey. "Average players" make up
> People don't come out to see hockey, they come out to see the best players
> in the world play hockey. Otherwise they would save their 30+ dollars per
> seat and go see a rat hockey game for free. People don't pay to see Dirk
> Graham, they pay to see Jeremy Roenick. A team without stars is like....
> well, it's like Hartford. Put Mario Lemieux, Gretzky and Federov on the
> Whalers, and they'd sell out.

        I respectfully disagree. I understand your point but I think you
miss mine. People do come out to see hockey. Teams like Montreal haven't
always had stars along the lines of Gretzky or Lemieux and last year's
team is an example I'm thinking of. But still, Montreal won the Cup.
Hartford isn't just a team without stars, it's a team that plays bad
hockey in a demographic area that may not actually be able to support it,
regardless of whether or not they get "stars" on the team. Plenty of
years the Rangers haven't had a real "star" on the team and yet the team
has never suffered for lack of support. 54 years without a Cup, go
figure. Perhaps I should qualify my statement by saying that people come
out to watch _good_ hockey. But I don't think the fan base of the sport
is that superficial that people only come out to watch the stars. I mean,
who knows, maybe some people do come out to watch Dirk Graham...besides
his family.

Quote:
> :  I'd rather they protect the 'average player'. It's the prima
> : donna attitude that sickens me and it's that cow-towing to it that keeps
> : players like Tom Barrasso from getting due credit on nights he's played

                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
> : brilliantly. (And playoff series, she wrote thinking of a Conn Smythe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
> : trophy that sould have been awarded to Barrasso a few years ago.)

> Barrasso is a slightly above average goalie at best who has been in the
> right place at the right time. He's wearing two Stanley Cup rings on his
> hand because of Mario Lemieux.

        Re-read what I wrote again please. Here, I'll underline it for you.
Even slightly-above-average goalies can play brilliantly from time to
time and often do. Sometimes it's just for a game, sometimes for an
entire series. Witness Glenn Healy last year vs. the Penguins. Not being
a goalie and not having the guts to want to do it, I can't comfortably
dismiss all good saves as "well, He just happened to be at the right
place at the right time" Well, no shit. But I wouldn't have been at the
right place because I know shit about being a goalie. However, I can fake
being a pylon/defenseman pretty well... anyway. I think Mario owes that
second ring to Barrasso as much as Barrasso owes it to Lemieux, hockey
being a team sport. Having watched that series, I would have given the
Conn Smythe to Barrasso but that's just my opinion.

Cyn


                             let's shave the cat

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Pat Flanne » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 22:58:52


: Well, it's time for Mario to talk about retirement.  After finally getting
: his back into what appears to be good shape, Mario has resumed playing.
: He appears to be back to his phenomenal self which should boost Pittsburgh
: to another Stanley Cup.  However, in the game the other night against Tampa
: Bay, Mario was repeatedly hauled down by flagrant penalties.  In one instance,
: Mario was coming in shorthanded and was tackled by two Tampa players.
: After looking to referee Kerry Fraser for a penalty, he layed on the ice for
: a couple of seconds in disbelief as Fraser didn't call anything.  This pissed
: Mario off.  Granted, sometimes Mario takes dives to draw penalties (all
: players do) and sometimes he is accused of whining, but this time he had a
: legitimate gripe.  Still, no penalty.
:       So, later in the first period, he was again being victimized by some
: Tampa player.  Mario again saw no penalty coming, so he elbowed the guy.
: This time there was a penalty, but it was against Mario.  He went to the
: box without any trouble, but when he got there he flipped out.  He threw his
: stick back onto the ice and Fraser subsequently gave Mario a 10 minute
: game misconduct.  Mario got extremely upset and charged Fraser from the penalty
: box.  If it wasn't for teammates Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr, Mario might
: have gotten to him.  Anyway, he was ejected from the game.
:       Mario has had problems in the past with referees who never call any
: penalties.  Because of his complaining last time, the league instituted rules
: that were supposed to limit clutching and grabbing.  However, after three
: weeks...things were back to the normal ways.  Now, Fraser is requesting that
: Mario be suspended.  This is so disheartening to Mario that he is talking
: about retirement.  He now refuses to do anything to promote the league in any
: way shape or form.  Frankly, I can't blame him.  As teammate Ron Francis said,
: People like Mario and Gretzky are the reason fans come to the games.  They
: don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.  It's about
: time the league does something to protect their stars.  The NFL protects
: quarterbacks, and the NBA used to protect Jordan, so why doesn't the NHL
: learn from this?
:       It will be a sad day in Pittsburgh if Mario retires, but if he does
: retire I would not blame him one bit.  He spends all season busting his ass
: to come back from back surgery, not to mention the many other comebacks, just
: to be the victim of flagrant violations that would only serve to put him out
: of the game again.  It has to stop somwhere.

I don't believe this!  The guy freaks out over a penalty call, charges out
of the box after a ref for Chrissakes! and all the Pens fans can do is
whine about how tough it is on poor Mario.  Boo hoo, I'm making millions
for playing hockey but now I'm gonna quit because the League won't suck up
to me.  Hey Mario, sometimes you don't get the calls, sometimes life ain't
fair...if you can't deal with it get the hell out.

--
 -------------------------
Gateway
"GO SENS!  Even Sexton can't keep us down forever..."
"GO BILLS! Five in '95..."
"GO JAYS! Teachin' the Yanks to play ball..."
"GO NOBODY!  Playing basketball, playing with yourself...can you see the
 difference?"

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Mike Lana » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 13:56:26



: > People don't come out to see hockey, they come out to see the best players
: > in the world play hockey. Otherwise they would save their 30+ dollars per
: > seat and go see a rat hockey game for free. People don't pay to see Dirk
: > Graham, they pay to see Jeremy Roenick. A team without stars is like....
: > well, it's like Hartford. Put Mario Lemieux, Gretzky and Federov on the
: > Whalers, and they'd sell out.

:       I respectfully disagree. I understand your point but I think you
: miss mine. People do come out to see hockey. Teams like Montreal haven't
: always had stars along the lines of Gretzky or Lemieux and last year's
: team is an example I'm thinking of. But still, Montreal won the Cup.
: Hartford isn't just a team without stars, it's a team that plays bad
: hockey in a demographic area that may not actually be able to support it,
: regardless of whether or not they get "stars" on the team. Plenty of
: years the Rangers haven't had a real "star" on the team and yet the team
: has never suffered for lack of support. 54 years without a Cup, go
: figure. Perhaps I should qualify my statement by saying that people come
: out to watch _good_ hockey. But I don't think the fan base of the sport
: is that superficial that people only come out to watch the stars. I mean,
: who knows, maybe some people do come out to watch Dirk Graham...besides
: his family.

Montreal did win the Cup last year, but they did have a player who may
eventually come to be known as the best goaltender in the history of the
game.
I do see your point. I know that people come out to see good hockey, and
I know that having a "real star" on a team does not guarentee good
hockey (see LA), and I don't think that many true hockey fans are
superficial, but attendance is higher for teams that win, and teams that
win, usually win because they have the best team (usually), and usually
that means that there are great individual talents on that team.

: > :        I'd rather they protect the 'average player'. It's the prima
: > : donna attitude that sickens me and it's that cow-towing to it that keeps
: > : players like Tom Barrasso from getting due credit on nights he's played
:                                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > : brilliantly. (And playoff series, she wrote thinking of a Conn Smythe
:     ~~~~~~~~~~~
: > : trophy that sould have been awarded to Barrasso a few years ago.)
: >
: > Barrasso is a slightly above average goalie at best who has been in the
: > right place at the right time. He's wearing two Stanley Cup rings on his
: > hand because of Mario Lemieux.

:       Re-read what I wrote again please. Here, I'll underline it for you.
: Even slightly-above-average goalies can play brilliantly from time to
: time and often do. Sometimes it's just for a game, sometimes for an
: entire series. Witness Glenn Healy last year vs. the Penguins. Not being
: a goalie and not having the guts to want to do it, I can't comfortably
: dismiss all good saves as "well, He just happened to be at the right
: place at the right time" Well, no shit. But I wouldn't have been at the
: right place because I know shit about being a goalie. However, I can fake
: being a pylon/defenseman pretty well... anyway. I think Mario owes that
: second ring to Barrasso as much as Barrasso owes it to Lemieux, hockey
: being a team sport. Having watched that series, I would have given the
: Conn Smythe to Barrasso but that's just my opinion.

You missed my point on Barrasso. I'm not saying he doesn't make great saves
or that he doesn't have great games. I'm not even saying that he didn't
deserve to win the Conn Smyth (I'm not sure what year you're talking about
here; when the Pens swept the Hawks in '92, I saw all 4 games and was at
the 2 in Chicago, and I thought Lemieux was the best player on the ice).
What I'm saying, is, there's probably 10 or more goalies in the world who
could have taken Barrasso's place both of those years, and the Pens would
have still won the Cups, but there is no player on planet earth who could
have done the same for Lemieux.

: Cyn

Michael Lanasa

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by one bad-ass bit » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 21:54:20

Quote:



> Montreal did win the Cup last year, but they did have a player who may
> eventually come to be known as the best goaltender in the history of the
> game.

        History of the game? ahhh, I think Roy is great but I just can't
commit to that kind of statement....not yet at least. Best so far, in my
lifetime of watching? Yes. But I'm still young :-)

Quote:
> I do see your point. I know that people come out to see good hockey, and
> I know that having a "real star" on a team does not guarentee good
> hockey (see LA), and I don't think that many true hockey fans are
> superficial, but attendance is higher for teams that win, and teams that
> win, usually win because they have the best team (usually), and usually
> that means that there are great individual talents on that team.

        True, but having watched the Rangers for ^&%*^% years, it's not
always the case. Sometimes you're dealing with demographics and people
crazy enough to watch a losing team...over and over again. BUT ANYWAY!!
I agree with you on this. I mean from an owner's point of view, you want
a star, something to draw the fans in, a good team, a winner. I just
think that the Pens management has gotten themselves into a situation
where they're over a barrel when it comes to Lemieux. Anything they do or
want to do must take his salary into consideration. To their detriment in
the long run, in my opinion. I mean, it's alot of cash we're talking
about... That's alot of attitude to swallow from him.

Quote:
> : right place because I know shit about being a goalie. However, I can fake
> : being a pylon/defenseman pretty well... anyway. I think Mario owes that
> : second ring to Barrasso as much as Barrasso owes it to Lemieux, hockey
> : being a team sport. Having watched that series, I would have given the
> : Conn Smythe to Barrasso but that's just my opinion.

> You missed my point on Barrasso. I'm not saying he doesn't make great saves
> or that he doesn't have great games. I'm not even saying that he didn't
> deserve to win the Conn Smyth (I'm not sure what year you're talking about
> here; when the Pens swept the Hawks in '92, I saw all 4 games and was at
> the 2 in Chicago, and I thought Lemieux was the best player on the ice).
> What I'm saying, is, there's probably 10 or more goalies in the world who
> could have taken Barrasso's place both of those years, and the Pens would
> have still won the Cups, but there is no player on planet earth who could
> have done the same for Lemieux.

        Perhaps. But I think this is just a matter of a difference of
opinion. I am speaking of the '92 series and while I wasn't at any games
(you lucky dog), I still think Barrasso should have won it. But not to
get too fervent about it because, really, I'm not a fan of the Penguins
so I'm not putting too much energy into this. I also think it helped that
Chicago seemed pretty beat up by the time they got to the finals. Jeremy
Roenick's face looked like shrapnel had hit it. If they had met Chicago
one round earlier, I think Mario would have had a much harder job but I
can't say that Barrasso wouldn't have played as well. Besides, I have a
soft spot in my heart for goalies. I went down to block a shot last night
and flinched at the last moment...

Quote:
> : Cyn

> Michael Lanasa


two people who have managed to have a discussion on rsh without sarcastic
comments and flaming the shit out of each other.

Cyn


                             let's shave the cat

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Eugene M Curcio » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 01:00:33

Game summary deleted

Quote:
>>Mario got extremely upset and charged Fraser from the penalty
>>box.

>According to the rule book, this is worth a ten-game suspension.  It's
>very clearly spelled out; there is no room for interpretation.

>It's Rule #66, if you want to look it up.

>>If it wasn't for teammates Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr, Mario might
>>have gotten to him.  Anyway, he was ejected from the game.

>Which was completely deserved.

>>Now, Fraser is requesting that
>>Mario be suspended.

>Fraser has no choice, and neither does the League.  Mario has earned
>himself a ten-game suspension.  It's that simple.

>>This is so disheartening to Mario that he is talking
>>about retirement.

>Gee, that's too bad.  Maybe he should take up badminton.

>>He now refuses to do anything to promote the league in any
>>way shape or form.  Frankly, I can't blame him.  As teammate Ron Francis said
,
>>People like Mario and Gretzky are the reason fans come to the games.  They
>>don't come to see average players, they come to see the stars.

>His teammate Ron Francis is wrong.  Fans go to the games to see hockey,
>not whining punks.

>>It's about
>>time the league does something to protect their stars.  The NFL protects
>>quarterbacks, and the NBA used to protect Jordan, so why doesn't the NHL
>>learn from this?

>Football is a dull boring game.  Basketball is worse.

>>        It will be a sad day in Pittsburgh if Mario retires, but if he does
>>retire I would not blame him one bit.

>Many Penguins fans have adopted Mario's whining attitude as their own,
>it would seem.

>>He spends all season busting his ass
>>to come back from back surgery, not to mention the many other comebacks, just
>>to be the victim of flagrant violations that would only serve to put him out
>>of the game again.  It has to stop somwhere.

>Yep...it has to start with consistent enforcement of all of the rules,
>regardless of the salary of the offending player.

>See ya, Mario.  Have fun on the golf course.

>gak

I could not agree more.  What is the deal with these some of the Mario
supporters??  So the league should protect their most valuable players,
huh?  Well, seeing how the bruins lost both Cam Neely and Ray Bourque
to knee injuries I guees there will have to be a new rule instated
which clearly says that no star player may be hit anywhere near the
knee area.  Although now that I think about it, if they get hit at all
they might fall and get hurt, so from now on no hitting the sis being
played he picked the wrong way to show it.  Up until now I had always
liked and to some extent even respected the guy.  I probably could have
still salvaged some respect for him if after the game he had made an
apology for what he had done and admitted he messed up, even though
throwing a stick at an official is probably the worst thing you can
do in my opinion.  But after the way he insulted the league, pack your
bags Mario.  There are plenty of other deserving players who would love
to play in the NHL who may not be as skilled but will treat the game
with the respect it deserves.  See ya.  
--
*******************************************************************
"The only reason the Red Sox     Go Bruins         Gene M. Curcio
won today is because it will                Engineering Computing Center    
hurt more if they lose tomorrow."                University of Dayton  
 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Dean J. Falcion » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 11:46:58

Quote:

>Sorry about that last post...I was SO frustrated...

>A fine of $500 is a joke.  The fact that Mario said he won't represent the
>NHL anymore is a joke.  The ONLY person Mario represents is himself.(Sure
>has'nt been Canada much!)

Mario Lemieux has donated between $200,000 and $500,000 each year for
the past 8 years to cancer research.   Is THAT representing only himself?
I've seen him at children's hostpital in Pittsburgh signing autographs for
kids on their death bed just to cheer them up.  Is THAT only representing
himself?

And why SHOULD he represent Canada?  English-speaking Canadians have been
railing against him from day one simply because he's a francophone.  And yet
he still was the main reason Canada won the 1987 Canada Cup.

Quote:
>A to make things worse, they seem to be giving excuse making, self centered
>lessons at the Mario fan club meetings.  Amazing how many fans of Mario
>seem to _portray_ the same characteristics as the man himself in this forum.

No one's making excuses, just explanations.  He was wrong for his reaction to
Fraser, but you people are blowing this thing WAY WAY out of
proportion!  Anti-Lemieux folks just lay in wait for Mario to do
something less than saintly so they can jump out from under their rocks
and proclaim "See! SEE!  I told you he was a wimp/whiner/***/evil-
incarnate!"  Must've really pissed you off to see him fight so hard and
successfully beat cancer, huh?  What a wimp!  What a ***!  Couldn't
even handle being told he had cancer without feeling sorry for himself!
Anybody could've gotten hodgkin's disease and then come back to score 56
points in 20 games despite having a month of radiation treatment that leaves
most people unable to get out of bed in the morning without help for weeks!
Right?  RIght?!?

You people are pathetic.

Quote:
>Mario may well be the best offensive force the NHL has ever seen, but he's an
>***!

>Sorry to be so narrow minded...but I had to say this.

You said it, not me.

Dean

ps. Sorry to be so confrontational, but it makes the mind wonder where these
    peple come from!  I mean, a guy has a dispute with an official and people
   are climbing out of the woodwork to prosecute him!  Get a perspective!

 
 
 

Mario is talking about retirement

Post by Pat Flanne » Mon, 18 Apr 1994 07:00:58


:  
: Mario Lemieux has donated between $200,000 and $500,000 each year for
: the past 8 years to cancer research.   Is THAT representing only himself?
: I've seen him at children's hostpital in Pittsburgh signing autographs for
: kids on their death bed just to cheer them up.  Is THAT only representing
: himself?

It certainly could be.  Professional atheletes, like anyone else in the
public eye, can only gain from positive PR.  Maybe he is donating all this
money out of a pure and saintly sense of altruism.  Maybe he is part of an
ongoing effort by pro atheletes to justify their huge salaries in a
cash-strapped society.  Maybe the team told him to do charity work to help
out the Pens image.  Maybe he hopes to help himself out should his cancer
reappear.  Who knows?

: No one's making excuses, just explanations.  He was wrong for his reaction to
: Fraser, but you people are blowing this thing WAY WAY out of
: proportion!  

Absolutely.  The whole thing is hugely out of proportion, as any incident
involving a public figure of Mario's stature is likely to be.

Anti-Lemieux folks just lay in wait for Mario to do
: something less than saintly so they can jump out from under their rocks
: and proclaim "See! SEE!  I told you he was a wimp/whiner/***/evil-
: incarnate!"  Must've really pissed you off to see him fight so hard and
: successfully beat cancer, huh?  What a wimp!  What a ***!  Couldn't
: even handle being told he had cancer without feeling sorry for himself!
: Anybody could've gotten hodgkin's disease and then come back to score 56
: points in 20 games despite having a month of radiation treatment that leaves
: most people unable to get out of bed in the morning without help for weeks!
: Right?  RIght?!?
:  

Wrong.  The cancer was diagnosed early and the radiation treatments were
very low-level.  Whenever anyone hears about radiation treatment, they
always think of leukimia (sp?) patients and the hell they go through.
Mario's rad treatment probably induced some nausea and weakness, but
that's about it.  This incident was also blown out of proportion.

-------------------------
Gateway
"GO SENS!  Even Sexton can't keep us down forever..."
"GO BILLS! Five in '95..."
"GO JAYS! Teachin' the Yanks to play ball..."
"GO NOBODY!  Playing basketball, playing with yourself...can you see the
 difference?"