Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by sle.. » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 13:09:43


Quote:
> 3) Wendell Clark's Knee
> 6) Wendell Clark's Back
> 9) Wendell Clark's Shoulder
> 13) Wendell Clark's Hip

It's Wendel's ankle.  And he'll be back any day to re-take his
rightful place as the league's top goal-scorer -- healthy body intact
from head-to-toe.  Prime to lead his fellows onward into and through
the play-offs.

Quote:
> 1) The Detroit Red Wings

The Wings are a mish-mash of some talented and other over-the hill
players, topped off with a batch of useless goal-tending.  They have
little direction and even less leadership -- without Yzerman they're
toast.  With Yzerman they still won't beat the Leafs in seven games.

Quote:
> 5) Pat Burns' inability to coach winning playoff hockey

Didn't Burns win a cup in his first year in Montreal?  I could be
wrong.

Quote:
> 7) An injury prone team

Nonsense.  A flurry of injuries at mid-season hardly will affect
their play-off performance.  Especially considering how well everyone
is returning to the line-up -- and how even after their slump they're
still first overall.

BTW, Peter Zezel is the best kept secret in the league -- his
performance will allow the Leafs to play even above their current 1st
overall level.

Quote:
> 11) The L.A. Kings

The Kings' only hope is to begin thinking for their future -- trade
Gretz for some younger fresher talent.  If they think they're going to
keep hockey trendy on the "hockey mad" American west-coast, they'd
better stop thinking they can win a cup with their current line-up.

Maybe they could convince Michael Jordon to lace up?  That should be
good for some bucks.

Quote:
> Get used to it. The Wings have the most talented team in the NHL
along
> with the best playoff coach in the history of the NHL.  Scotty does
very
> well with talented teams.

I'm of the mind that Lemieux had more to do with the PENS' cups than
Bowman.  Theoretically, it should be easy to coach a talented team.
What's difficult is to take a team with a relatively no-name defense
and produce the second best defensive core in the league (as Burns did
in his first season in Toronto) -- what's hard is to take a "less
talented" team and get them to work so hard that they get one game
from the final.

However, I'll give credit where credit is due (unlike some people
around here) -- Bowman is the winningest coach in the NHL, right?  
Perhaps he is the guy who'll make some sense from the mix-up that is
the Detroit Wings.  How does Bowman's lifetime win-loss ratio stack up
against Burns'?  Either way, I doubt he'll get past Burn's Leafs if
they meet in the playoffs.

Quote:
> TO took LA to OT in the seventh game.  Gretzky was _not_ called on a
clear
> stick infraction against Doug Gilmour and he scored the winning goal
while
> Gilmour was off getting patched up.

Actually, that happened in game 6.  

Quote:
> The seventh game was an absolute travesty and was the most shameful
> episode of inferior referreeing that I have ever witnessed.  

I don't recall the Leafs' being overly or unfairly punished by
penalties in game 7 -- the Kings won because of Gretz.  Game 6,
however, should have ended with Gretz in the box (or the shower) for
trying to give Gilmour a shave with a Sherwood.

Regardless, it isn't very sportsmanlike to blame the loss of the
series on the refs.  Over time, those bad calls seem to even out both
ways.

Quote:
> And Wendel punched the shit out of McSorley.

A highlight of the year!  Too bad the Kings were stupid enough to
trade him away, the Leafs won't get to play against him nearly as much
anymore.

How's this for a thought?  Captain for Captain -- Gretzky for Clark --
he's the only guy *I'd* trade Clark for.  The Kings get the best power
forward in the game, the best team leader, and someone who will
challenge for the goal-scoring lead for at least the next several
seasons.  And the Leafs get the Great-One's last couple seasons --
he's on his way down-hill, and this year with the Leafs would be his
last best chance to grab another cup.

Not to mention that the t-shirt sales alone should pay for a new
Maple Leaf gardens.

Stephen LEAF Legge

St. John's, NF  CANADA

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by dany.. » Mon, 17 Jan 1994 01:36:03

|> How's this for a thought?  Captain for Captain -- Gretzky for Clark --

Who's gonna be the 1st line centre for Toronto then?
Gretzky or Gilmour?

|> he's the only guy *I'd* trade Clark for.  The Kings get the best power
|> forward in the game, the best team leader, and someone who will
|> challenge for the goal-scoring lead for at least the next several
|> seasons.  And the Leafs get the Great-One's last couple seasons --
|> he's on his way down-hill, and this year with the Leafs would be his
|> last best chance to grab another cup.

Gretzky is on his way down-hill??  Last time I checked he led the
league in points......

This is a crazy trade idea....  Toronto does not need another
2-way playmaking centre and L.A. cannot lose their only 2-way
playmaking centre.

|> Stephen LEAF Legge

|> St. John's, NF  CANADA

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by CRAIG MEISN » Mon, 17 Jan 1994 02:01:53

Quote:


>Subject: Re: Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)
>Date: Sat, 15 Jan 1994 04:09:43 GMT
>> 3) Wendell Clark's Knee
>> 6) Wendell Clark's Back
>> 9) Wendell Clark's Shoulder
>> 13) Wendell Clark's Hip

>It's Wendel's ankle.  And he'll be back any day to re-take his
>rightful place as the league's top goal-scorer -- healthy body intact
>from head-to-toe.  Prime to lead his fellows onward into and through
>the play-offs.

>> 1) The Detroit Red Wings

>The Wings are a mish-mash of some talented and other over-the hill
>players, topped off with a batch of useless goal-tending.  They have
>little direction and even less leadership -- without Yzerman they're
>toast.  With Yzerman they still won't beat the Leafs in seven games.
>> 5) Pat Burns' inability to coach winning playoff hockey

>Didn't Burns win a cup in his first year in Montreal?  I could be
>wrong.

Actually, yeah you are, but that's o.k.

Quote:

>> 7) An injury prone team

>Nonsense.  A flurry of injuries at mid-season hardly will affect
>their play-off performance.  Especially considering how well everyone
>is returning to the line-up -- and how even after their slump they're
>still first overall.

Well said.

Quote:
>BTW, Peter Zezel is the best kept secret in the league -- his
>performance will allow the Leafs to play even above their current 1st
>overall level.

Again, well said.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

>> 11) The L.A. Kings

>The Kings' only hope is to begin thinking for their future -- trade
>Gretz for some younger fresher talent.  If they think they're going to
>keep hockey trendy on the "hockey mad" American west-coast, they'd
>better stop thinking they can win a cup with their current line-up.

>Maybe they could convince Michael Jordon to lace up?  That should be
>good for some bucks.

>> Get used to it. The Wings have the most talented team in the NHL
>along
>> with the best playoff coach in the history of the NHL.  Scotty does
>very
>> well with talented teams.

>I'm of the mind that Lemieux had more to do with the PENS' cups than
>Bowman.  Theoretically, it should be easy to coach a talented team.

You write so well, but you got to spend more time on your coaches.  Bowman
is a shitty coach and all he did for the Pens was help them lose to NYI.

Quote:
>What's difficult is to take a team with a relatively no-name defense
>and produce the second best defensive core in the league (as Burns did
>in his first season in Toronto) -- what's hard is to take a "less
>talented" team and get them to work so hard that they get one game
>from the final.

Pat Burns best move was getting Lefebvre from Montreal.

Quote:
>However, I'll give credit where credit is due (unlike some people
>around here) -- Bowman is the winningest coach in the NHL, right?  
>Perhaps he is the guy who'll make some sense from the mix-up that is
>the Detroit Wings.  How does Bowman's lifetime win-loss ratio stack up
>against Burns'?  Either way, I doubt he'll get past Burn's Leafs if
>they meet in the playoffs.

Actually if you look at the teams he had their is few coaches in the NHL
that wouldn't be able to claim that title.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>> TO took LA to OT in the seventh game.  Gretzky was _not_ called on a
>clear
>> stick infraction against Doug Gilmour and he scored the winning goal
>while
>> Gilmour was off getting patched up.

>Actually, that happened in game 6.  

>> The seventh game was an absolute travesty and was the most shameful
>> episode of inferior referreeing that I have ever witnessed.  

>I don't recall the Leafs' being overly or unfairly punished by
>penalties in game 7 -- the Kings won because of Gretz.  Game 6,
>however, should have ended with Gretz in the box (or the shower) for
>trying to give Gilmour a shave with a Sherwood.
>Regardless, it isn't very sportsmanlike to blame the loss of the
>series on the refs.  Over time, those bad calls seem to even out both
>ways.

>> And Wendel punched the shit out of McSorley.

>A highlight of the year!  Too bad the Kings were stupid enough to
>trade him away, the Leafs won't get to play against him nearly as much
>anymore.

>How's this for a thought?  Captain for Captain -- Gretzky for Clark --
>he's the only guy *I'd* trade Clark for.  The Kings get the best power
>forward in the game, the best team leader, and someone who will
>challenge for the goal-scoring lead for at least the next several
>seasons.  And the Leafs get the Great-One's last couple seasons --
>he's on his way down-hill, and this year with the Leafs would be his
>last best chance to grab another cup.

Never happen, Gretzky is the Kings, and Clark is no Gretzky.  Gretzky will
likely end his career in L.A. and then move up to the front office.

Quote:
>Not to mention that the t-shirt sales alone should pay for a new
>Maple Leaf gardens.

>Stephen LEAF Legge

>St. John's, NF  CANADA

*****************************************************************
*                                                               *
*   Felix Potvin,     Doug Gilmour,     Sylvain Lefebvre        *
*  -----------------------------------------------------------  *
*   The best never rest!!!!!                                    *
*   Leafs will have best record in February!                    *
*   'Nuff said                                                  *
*                                                               *
*****************************************************************

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by caldwell8.. » Fri, 21 Jan 1994 23:53:40

Quote:

>> 5) Pat Burns' inability to coach winning playoff hockey

> Didn't Burns win a cup in his first year in Montreal?  I could be
> wrong.

You are wrong. The Habs went to the final in Burns' first year but lost in six
to Calgary. You may be thinking of Jean Perron, who won with Montreal in his
first season, 1985-86.

Pat Burns is a playoff choker. Ask any Montreal fan and they will relate many
a sad story of early playoff exits with Burns at the helm.

Alan Caldwell

Rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames
Al MacInnis for the Norris Trophy!

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by Roger Mayna » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 08:14:26

Quote:


>You are wrong. The Habs went to the final in Burns' first year but lost in six
>to Calgary. You may be thinking of Jean Perron, who won with Montreal in his
>first season, 1985-86.

And that is a choke?  He lost the final with a team that had no business even
getting past the first round...

Quote:
>Pat Burns is a playoff choker. Ask any Montreal fan and they will relate many
>a sad story of early playoff exits with Burns at the helm.

The problem is that Montreal fan's are stupid enough to think that anything
less than the Cup is a "choke".  In Montreal and Toronto Burns got far more
out of his team than any other coach would.

As for Demer's victory last year - the overtime streak was the most singular
streak of luck in the history of the league.  If I was a Hab fan I would be
embarrassed.  There were teams that didn't even make the playoffs that had
more talent than the Habs did last year and this remains the case.

Instead of crying about what a "choke" Pat Burns was Hab fans should be taking
a closer look at the record of Serge Savard.  As a GM he is outrageously
over-rated.  Montreal has no talent whatsoever.  None.  They have a goalie,
a Dionne and Vincent Damphousse.  Not worth a damn.

cordially, as always,

rm
--
Roger Maynard

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by Deepak Chhab » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 08:32:37


Quote:

>The problem is that Montreal fan's are stupid enough to think that anything
>less than the Cup is a "choke".

Horseshit.  Burns is not a playoff choker.  But he is an overrated coach
whose record is partially the result of having had two of the game's
finest goaltenders play for him.

Quote:
>If I was a Hab fan I would be embarrassed.

Whatever.

--
Deepak Chhabra                 |  "If it weren't for physics and law

 
 
 

Why the Leafs Won't Win (and trade suggestion)

Post by Pat Flanne » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 05:40:17

: The problem is that Montreal fan's are stupid enough to think that anything
: less than the Cup is a "choke".  In Montreal and Toronto Burns got far more
: out of his team than any other coach would.

Maybe the reason Montreal fans want nothing less than the Cup is because
their team has never gone more than 7 years without one.  Too bad certain
other teams' fans have to pat themselves on the back for third place.

: As for Demer's victory last year - the overtime streak was the most singular
: streak of luck in the history of the league.  

"You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good."

: If I was a Hab fan I would be
: embarrassed.  There were teams that didn't even make the playoffs that had
: more talent than the Habs did last year and this remains the case.

How can I be embarrassed by a team that won the Stanley Cup?  I try and
try but I just can't do it...  

The fact that the Habs won the Cup with less than the most talent is
certainly a testimony to their outstanding grit, teamwork and coaching.

: Instead of crying about what a "choke" Pat Burns was Hab fans should be taking
: a closer look at the record of Serge Savard.  As a GM he is outrageously
: over-rated.  Montreal has no talent whatsoever.  None.  They have a goalie,
: a Dionne and Vincent Damphousse.  Not worth a damn.

And even so, we just keep on winning that big silver thing.

: cordially, as always,

: rm
: --
: Roger Maynard

- Gateway
  (The Senators are still #1)