RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by alan.caldw.. » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:57:41


Quote:

>>Gerald, last year you said:  "Mark my words, the Oilers will make the
>>playoffs."
> The young Oilers lost an incredible number of 1 goal games last year,
> and they refused to play ugly hockey (like the expansion teams and
> San Jose just to make the playoffs).  So I was a little premature...

Excuses, excuses. They lost those games, one goal or not.

Quote:
> a bad first 40 games makes me technically have to admit my prediction
> was wrong, but if the Oilers are able to sign most everyone they

But of course, you didn't admit you were wrong. Not publicly.

Quote:
> At least no one can claim I am spewing the conventional wisdom of
> the moment...

True. Nor will anyone claim you know a shit about hockey.

Alan Caldwell

Rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames
Al MacInnis: Wearing Blues, but forever a Flame.

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by alan.caldw.. » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:57:40

Quote:

> Not to mention, that if NHL refereeing were competent, the Flames
> would not have won the Cup.

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, Gerald.

Of course, you'll agree with me that if the officiating had been competent in
1990, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup.

Bitter about the Oilers sucking, are we?

Alan Caldwell

Rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames
Al MacInnis: Wearing Blues, but forever a Flame.

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by alan.caldw.. » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:57:39

Quote:

> Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman? C'mon, Leeman had only 2 really notable
> seasons,  while Gilmour had 144 pts the year before. Dave Andreychuck

144 points? Try 81. He had 144 PIM his last full season in Calgary. :-)

Alan Caldwell

Rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames
Al MacInnis: Wearing Blues, but forever a Flame.

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by Gerald Olcho » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 00:06:50

Quote:


>> Not to mention, that if NHL refereeing were competent, the Flames
>> would not have won the Cup.

>Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, Gerald.

>Of course, you'll agree with me that if the officiating had been competent in
>1990, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup.

Really...consider what happened the following spring when the
Oilers were without Jari Kurri and a powerplay, because Rexy
had gone back to Europe...with a weaker team, they still
beat the Flames.  

Gerald

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by Colin Layfie » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 04:18:46

Quote:


>> Not to mention, that if NHL refereeing were competent, the Flames
>> would not have won the Cup.

>Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, Gerald.

>Of course, you'll agree with me that if the officiating had been competent in
>1990, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup.

>Bitter about the Oilers sucking, are we?

Wow, It's Alan!  The 1-man Flames Force!!!!  ;-)

 Colin Layfield            | "I said what I meant and I've never pretended
                           |  as so many others do intending just to please
 The University of Calgary |  if I damned your point of view
 Computer Science          |  could you turn the other cheek"

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by Barry Pear » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 03:58:39


Quote:


> >> Not to mention, that if NHL refereeing were competent, the Flames
> >> would not have won the Cup.

> >Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, Gerald.

> >Of course, you'll agree with me that if the officiating had been competent in
> >1990, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup.

> Really...consider what happened the following spring when the
> Oilers were without Jari Kurri and a powerplay, because Rexy
> had gone back to Europe...with a weaker team, they still
> beat the Flames.  

So in a nutshell; if the Oilers win it is because of heart,skill,and courage.
If the Oilers lose, it is because of officiating. Imagine if the NHL had consistently
good officiating. The Oilers would have gone unbeaten since they came over from the
WHA. What a team!

--BP

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by Gerald Olcho » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 01:56:48

Quote:

>> Really...consider what happened the following spring when the
>> Oilers were without Jari Kurri and a powerplay, because Rexy
>> had gone back to Europe...with a weaker team, they still
>> beat the Flames.  

>So in a nutshell; if the Oilers win it is because of heart,skill,and courage.
>If the Oilers lose, it is because of officiating. Imagine if the NHL had consistently
>good officiating. The Oilers would have gone unbeaten since they came over from the
>WHA. What a team!

I have never blamed the officials or refereeing for an Oiler loss...
I occasionally blame officials in games not involving the Oilers,
as I did in relation to Game 7 in the Flames-Canucks series in 1989.

There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary, and I dare you to
produce it.

Gerald

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by <LY.. » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 00:26:42

To say that Neil Smith was not instumental in the Ranger Stanley Cup win is
having your head in Keenan farted clouds. Aside from Leetch and Richter (both
Patrick's drafts) every member on the Rangers has either been a Smith
acquisition, either through trade, draft or signings. And the Rangers were
always a mediocre team, so Smith didn't build this team through the draft, but
through strong trades and signings, Furthermore, if Keenan had his way, the
Rangers would have traded Amonte one-on-one for Noonan. It was Smith who held
out and got Matthieu for free. If Keenan had his way Richter would have been
gone in spring training, and Kovalev would have been gone mid season.
What Keenan did was take an already great team and turn them into winners and
he deserves credit for that, but that's where it ends. And if it was up to
me who to keep, I'd stay with Smith over Keenan any day. Imagine the prospect
of Keenan as GM. He made one good trade in his career -Savard for Chelios-
and he did not because he thought Chelios was such a great player, but because
he hated Savard. He is a man who puts personal feelings ahead of team need,
so you know Kovalev will -the teams future- will be gone immediately and you
can forget about a welcome for last years 1st round draft, Sundstrom, why
would he want an exciting scorer who makes art on the ice. If the Rangers
get rid of Smith they will make the same mistake they made a few years back
by firing Patrick, who went on to build one of the best teams in the league
(though underachievers they were) and win the Cup twice in the Ranger's face.
Smith is on of the best GMs in the league, and he's only gonna get better.

Let's Go Rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Gene

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by Lydia Manci » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 12:26:32

Quote:


>> Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman? C'mon, Leeman had only 2 really notable
>> seasons,  while Gilmour had 144 pts the year before. Dave Andreychuck

>144 points? Try 81. He had 144 PIM his last full season in Calgary. :-)

Oops! I thought that was high. That's what you get for posting at 2 in the
morning. Good night.

-- Lydia

--
 (==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)
  Lydia Mancini       | "Oh drat these computers are so *** and so

  McGill University   |  -- Marvin The Martian from Loony Tunes

 
 
 

RATE THE NHL GM'S (WA

Post by alan.caldw.. » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 06:52:02

Quote:



> >> Not to mention, that if NHL refereeing were competent, the Flames
> >> would not have won the Cup.

> >Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, Gerald.

> >Of course, you'll agree with me that if the officiating had been competent
in
> >1990, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup.

> Really...consider what happened the following spring when the
> Oilers were without Jari Kurri and a powerplay, because Rexy
> had gone back to Europe...with a weaker team, they still
> beat the Flames.  

You're talking about 1991. I'm talking about 1990. In OT of game 6 of the 1990
Calgary - L.A. Smythe semifinal, Denis Morel waved off a goal by the Flames
that replays clearly showed to be in. So, you say that if Joel Otto's
kicked-in goal in the 1989 Smythe semi-final had been disallowed, Calgary
would not have won the Cup. By the same logic, had Morel allowed the 1990
goal, Calgary _would_ have won the Cup. Right?

It's all a crock of shit, Gerald. I don't *** about the Flames getting
screwed in 1990 and I'll thank you not to *** that they got away with one
in 1989. God knows your team won enough Cups in the 80's that they don't need
to be reduced to whining about the ones they didn't win. Or do you?

Alan Caldwell

Rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames
Al MacInnis: Wearing Blues, but forever a Flame.