The most famous man in the world on CNN!

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Fred » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Will this thread ever die?
> >Who was the most famous man on CNN?

> Why, PELE, of course.
> The Sportsman of the century.

Well I always thought Don Bradman was.
 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by jin.. » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>> >Will this thread ever die?
>> >Who was the most famous man on CNN?

>> Why, PELE, of course.
>> The Sportsman of the century.

>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

Not surprising, coming from an Aussie.  Although I thought you'd say
Shane Warne or one of the Waughs.  Bradman's WAY up there though.

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Ben Armstron » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

Who? :)
--
Ben

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by D.C. » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:12:43 +0000, Ben Armstrong

Quote:

>>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

>Who? :)
>--
>Ben

                Ben,

                Don Bradman, Don Bradman . . . come on, you're
                putting us on with that who routine.

                DCI    

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by D.C. » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:


>> >Will this thread ever die?
>> >Who was the most famous man on CNN?
>> >:>

>>                        Saddam Hussein!

>>                        DCI

>Really!, DCI you're a legend(not).

                        Fred,

                        Sorry, it just sorta slipped out.

                        DCI

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Vern Faulkne » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

 D>   Don Bradman, Don Bradman . . . come on, you're
 D>   putting us on with that who routine.

Never heard of him. What hockey team is he with?

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Ben Armstron » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

Ohh... Him.....
The cricketer
--
Ben :)
 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Fred » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:12:43 +0000, Ben Armstrong

> >>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

> >Who? :)
> >--
> >Ben

>            Ben,

>            Don Bradman, Don Bradman . . . come on, you're
>            putting us on with that who routine.

>            DCI    

Don Bradman!
 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Fred » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> >> >Will this thread ever die?
> >> >Who was the most famous man on CNN?

> >> Why, PELE, of course.
> >> The Sportsman of the century.

> >Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

> Not surprising, coming from an Aussie.  Although I thought you'd say
> Shane Warne or one of the Waughs.  Bradman's WAY up there though.

Nope, stick to Bradman.
 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by D.C. » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

>> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:12:43 +0000, Ben Armstrong

>> >>Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

>> >Who? :)
>> >--
>> >Ben

>>                Ben,

>>                Don Bradman, Don Bradman . . . come on, you're
>>                putting us on with that who routine.

>>                DCI    
>Don Bradman!

                Yup!

                DCI

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Tim Fountai » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> >> >Will this thread ever die?
> >> >Who was the most famous man on CNN?

> >> Why, PELE, of course.
> >> The Sportsman of the century.

> >Well I always thought Don Bradman was.

> Not surprising, coming from an Aussie.  Although I thought you'd say
> Shane Warne or one of the Waughs.  Bradman's WAY up there though.

Bradman has to be sportsman of the century.
The only others to come close that I can think of would be Walter
Lindrum (billiards) and probably Pele.
But I have not heard of anybody dominating their sport to the extent
that Bradman did, and still statistically he is almost twice as good as
anyone elese in his sport.
Honourable mentions for Mohammed Ali and Martina Navratilova.

Most famous, definitely O.J. Simpson, but hardly sportsman of the
century.
--
-------------------------------------------------

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Fred » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Bradman has to be sportsman of the century.
> The only others to come close that I can think of would be Walter
> Lindrum (billiards) and probably Pele.
> But I have not heard of anybody dominating their sport to the extent
> that Bradman did, and still statistically he is almost twice as good as
> anyone elese in his sport.
> Honourable mentions for Mohammed Ali and Martina Navratilova.

> -------------------------------------------------


Exactly, for Michael Jordan to come anywhere near him, he'd have to
average 50 points per game.
 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Huw Morr » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Yes, virtually nobody actually plays it around the world.  But because no
> one wants to, so watching it on TV makes it like nothing else.  In the
> 3-hour span, we only get to see the 20 or so minutes of action, and not
> the boring ***that fills the other 2.5 hours

For that matter, virtually nobody plays it in the USA either. You have the
NFL, the college football, and anything else?

Quote:
> yourself a protolific spectator sport.  Watching a game in the stands is
> TERRIBLE.  It's just plain boring, as you don't have the show they put on
> for you on television.  To top the lack of action, you are sitting by
> hordes of Joe Sixpack's.

Well I used to watch the Birmingham Bulls in the old Budweiser League
before I moved out of the area. Watching a game live is fine. When you
watch the NFL highlights on Channel 4 here, you just know every drive is
going to be a scoring one because they cut out all the rest! Boring!

Huw

--
"I want to be young and wild.  Then  

 And then I want to be old and annoy  
 people by pretending I'm deaf."              -= BOING BOING!! =-

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Douglas Gla » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: > > Football - The ultimate spectator sport.  Entertaining every game.
: >   ...  
: > > major problem: 30 total minutes of action in a 3-hour span.  

: > Football is played for 60 minutes(!).

: The game lasts about 3 hours. The actual play totals about 15 minutes. (!)
: Much as I like it, I'm not sure that anyone in their right minds could
: call American Football "the ultimate spectator sport" other than in the
: sense that virtually nobody actually plays it.

I normally hate crossposted threads. But saying that nobody plays football
is ridiculous. Every kid in America plays football at some point. True,
most don't play with full pads and 22 players but how many times do people
in soccer loving countries play on a full court with 11 man teams and
regulations goals?

The difference between sandlot football and pro football is a lot like the
difference between pro golf and the golf that everyone else plays. The
pros do it right, but that doesn't prevent everyone else from doing a
bastardized version of the same sport.

 
 
 

The most famous man in the world on CNN!

Post by Marvin Marti » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:



> : > > Football - The ultimate spectator sport.  Entertaining every game.
> : >   ...  
> : > > major problem: 30 total minutes of action in a 3-hour span.  

> : > Football is played for 60 minutes(!).

> : The game lasts about 3 hours. The actual play totals about 15 minutes. (!)
> : Much as I like it, I'm not sure that anyone in their right minds could
> : call American Football "the ultimate spectator sport" other than in the
> : sense that virtually nobody actually plays it.

> I normally hate crossposted threads. But saying that nobody plays football
> is ridiculous. Every kid in America plays football at some point. True,
> most don't play with full pads and 22 players but how many times do people
> in soccer loving countries play on a full court with 11 man teams and
> regulations goals?

> The difference between sandlot football and pro football is a lot like the
> difference between pro golf and the golf that everyone else plays. The
> pros do it right, but that doesn't prevent everyone else from doing a
> bastardized version of the same sport.

        I love football ( go Pats), but I can't defend it.  You have
to watch it for years and basically be brought up on it to understand
it.  I don't think a more complicated game could be imagined.  If
someone outside the U.S. thinks it looks like a bunch of muscleheads
bumping into each other, they are right, from a certain point of view.
Football is only the ultimate spectator sport for those who have lots
of extra time to learn all the intricasies of all the many many rules
that bind play.  Otherwise, if you like football, its likely you just
like the *** of it, which is a different story altogether.

        Jason