FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Jack...out there somewhe » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00


1- they force playoff games to be on sunday AFTERNOON instead of sunday
evening. This means I miss half the games due to family committments (a
personal problem I know).

2- they force teams to play 2 games back to back instead of having a day to
recover in between. How many teams will loose games, nay entire playoff
series, because of exhaustion?

3- they have 15 or 20 commercial breaks a period. Sometimes these breaks
force a stoppage in play causing teams to lose momentum and giving someone
a chance to recover when the pressure is on. This is no good.

4- their announcers usually suck. Either they're asleep or they get the
players' names wrong or they natter incessantly (mike emrick) or are
flaming homers (john davidson)

5- those fuking robots. This is hockey, not a SEGA game. Lose those fuking
things.

6- worst of all, fuking Fox will have exclusive rights to games 1, 4, 7 of
finals.  All poorly done, making the experience a shitty one.

Thank God I have ESPN2. They make Fox and ESPN look like shit.

--
Later, Jack

"...the nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the
means. On the contrary, the means always determine the end."-Aldous Huxley

 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Bri Farene » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> 1- they force playoff games to be on sunday AFTERNOON instead of sunday
> evening. This means I miss half the games due to family committments (a
> personal problem I know).

You're right. It is a personal problem. I have no problem
with Sunday afternoon games. At least that means they'll get over
at a decent hour; perhaps World Series organizers should take
note.

Quote:
> 2- they force teams to play 2 games back to back instead of having a day to
> recover in between. How many teams will loose games, nay entire playoff
> series, because of exhaustion?

This is a bit of an overstatement. After all, don't both teams
have to deal with the same situation? Teams with depth usually do
better in the playoffs anyways.

Quote:
> 3- they have 15 or 20 commercial breaks a period. Sometimes these breaks
> force a stoppage in play causing teams to lose momentum and giving someone
> a chance to recover when the pressure is on. This is no good.

Agreed.

Quote:
> 4- their announcers usually suck. Either they're asleep or they get the
> players' names wrong or they natter incessantly (mike emrick) or are
> flaming homers (john davidson)

...your humble opinion.

Quote:
> 5- those fuking robots. This is hockey, not a SEGA game. Lose those fuking
> things.

Agreed.

Quote:
> 6- worst of all, fuking Fox will have exclusive rights to games 1, 4, 7 of
> finals.  All poorly done, making the experience a shitty one.

> Thank God I have ESPN2. They make Fox and ESPN look like shit.

Unfortunately, not all of us have ESPN2. We'll take our Fox
and ESPN where we can get it thank you very much.

BTW- Learn how to spell your expletives.
--
Bri Farenell                  Hey parents: the kids' sports belong to the kids

Finger this acct. for Italian Serie A soccer tables and AHL playoff skeds
        America has a holiday to celebrate term limits: Election Day.

 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Valerie Hamme » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
>Thank God I have ESPN2. They make Fox and ESPN look like shit.

And while my team is out of the playoffs, I also get HNiC off CBC.  :-)

--
Valerie Hammerl


 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Clark Pet » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
>1- they force playoff games to be on sunday AFTERNOON instead of sunday
>evening. This means I miss half the games due to family committments (a
>personal problem I know).

So that doesn't count.

Quote:
>2- they force teams to play 2 games back to back instead of having a day to
>recover in between. How many teams will loose games, nay entire playoff
>series, because of exhaustion?

Er, don't they get an extra day of rest beforehand? So this doesn't count
either.

Quote:
>3- they have 15 or 20 commercial breaks a period. Sometimes these breaks
>force a stoppage in play causing teams to lose momentum and giving someone
>a chance to recover when the pressure is on. This is no good.

Agreed to a point. Haven't you heard all the complaining about FOX missing
peices of action because they're away at commercial? Apparently they're not
holding the game up all that much. But the games are definitely taking longer
when FOX covers them.

Quote:
>4- their announcers usually suck. Either they're asleep or they get the
>players' names wrong or they natter incessantly (mike emrick) or are
>flaming homers (john davidson)

JD is only a homer when it comes to the Rangers. I'm sorry you don't like Mike,
but he's a well respected play by play man and is considered one of the best.
I have firsthand knowledge that ESPN is not happy about losing him.

Quote:
>5- those fuking robots. This is hockey, not a SEGA game. Lose those fuking
>things.

Oh, calm down. They're trying to attract young fans, they only run these
things during stoppages so you're not missing anything. I hate 'em to, but
in the scheme of things this is pretty minor. Really. At least you're getting
coverage.

Quote:
>6- worst of all, fuking Fox will have exclusive rights to games 1, 4, 7 of
>finals.  All poorly done, making the experience a shitty one.

Your dislike for Emrick and JD and the robots is all you're complaints boil
down to. Pretty weak if you ask me.

Quote:
>Thank God I have ESPN2. They make Fox and ESPN look like shit.

You gotta be kidding. Darren Pang? Steve Levy and Tom Mees (?) doing play
by play? And you *** about Emrick and JD? You're nuts, jack...:-)

I had a chance to compare CBC and FOX with the first FLYERS Ranger game, and
I thought FOX blew CBC away. I'm gonna get flamed big time for saying this
sacrelige, but here goes...

I have a satellite dish, so I get CBC and all the FOX telecasts. I'm also a
FLYERS season ticket holder and naturally am going to all of the playoff
games. When I go to games, I usually tape the game so that I can see replays
and get rulings that I missed at the game because I only saw it once, that sort
of thing.

One of the joys of my new dish was the ability to watch HNIC every Saturday
night, and nightly during the playoffs. I've thoroughly enjoyed the coverage,
there are definitely some quality people on the broadcasts. And Don Cherry is
worth watching all by himself...:-)

For game 1 I wanted to tape the CBC feed, but I was worried that I'd pick the
wrong transponder and get the Detroit game instead, so on the VCR hooked up
to the dish I taped CBC, on the other VCR I taped FOX.

1/2 way through watching the CBC tape I got so frustrated that I switched
tapes and finished the game on FOX, and to my surprise FOX blew them away. At
least on this game. First off, I'm a huge fan of Mike Emrick, I thought his
play by play was easily superior. Second, I got sooo sick and tired of not
being told who commited penalties, what the penalty was and when it happened.
Sorry, I don't have any access to real time box scores, I want to know this
information. FOX had more and better angles on replays, the "end zone view"
is a wonderful innovation. The last straw was when there was a power play, but
CBC decided to show the Sharks instead. They cut back to the FLYERS game just
in time to see the puck enter the net. All the people griping about FOX missing
a goal, well, if they could have scored a little faster (we missed about 30
seconds of action I think), CBC would have missed it. They did miss everything
that led up to it, then couldn't be bothered to queue up a fast replay to show
us what happened.

The FOX intermission shows don't even compare to CBC's, I can certainly live
without Brown and Maloney. But for coverage of the game itself FOX was far
superior. Even with the stupid robots...

pete clark - rsh FLYERS contact

 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Percy Selor » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00


: > 1- they force playoff games to be on sunday AFTERNOON instead of sunday
: > evening. This means I miss half the games due to family committments (a
: > personal problem I know).

: You're right. It is a personal problem. I have no problem
: with Sunday afternoon games. At least that means they'll get over
: at a decent hour; perhaps World Series organizers should take
: note.

I don't mind the Sunday afternoon games either, I have no problem with
it, games end by 6... not bad.

:  
: > 2- they force teams to play 2 games back to back instead of having a day to
: > recover in between. How many teams will loose games, nay entire playoff
: > series, because of exhaustion?

: This is a bit of an overstatement. After all, don't both teams
: have to deal with the same situation? Teams with depth usually do
: better in the playoffs anyways.

Some teams aren't forced, probably depends on which Conference is playing
that day. Cliff Fletcher refused to play Sunday afternoon and had the Leafs
play Saturday night. (might have been game 1... not sure)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lowell Selorio              | "Now the 2-2... Well hit down the left   |



|-----------------------------|  THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS!!!!!"             |
|GO LEAFS GO!! GO LEAFS GO!!  |                -Sean McDonough, CBS      |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Jack...out there somewhe » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00


Jeez, I got more flack for this post than I thought I would. Ah, well.

Quote:


> >1- they force playoff games to be on sunday AFTERNOON instead of sunday
> >evening. This means I miss half the games due to family committments (a
> >personal problem I know).

> So that doesn't count.

Ah, perhaps in an objective analysis it doesn't. Mine is quite subjective
so it counts for me.

Quote:

> >2- they force teams to play 2 games back to back instead of having a day to
> >recover in between. How many teams will loose games, nay entire playoff
> >series, because of exhaustion?

> Er, don't they get an extra day of rest beforehand? So this doesn't count
> either.

I think it does. Hypothetically,  does it matter if they have 10 days off
before game 1 and are then forced to play 3 games back-to-back-to back?

Tired teams lose. I'd rather see rested teams go at it rather than
exhausted teams.

Quote:

> >3- they have 15 or 20 commercial breaks a period. Sometimes these breaks
> >force a stoppage in play causing teams to lose momentum and giving someone
> >a chance to recover when the pressure is on. This is no good.

> Agreed to a point. Haven't you heard all the complaining about FOX missing
> peices of action because they're away at commercial? Apparently they're not
> holding the game up all that much. But the games are definitely taking longer
> when FOX covers them.

I think it breaks the flow of the game, breaks the tension as it were. It
impedes enjoyment of the game in any case.

Quote:

> >4- their announcers usually suck. Either they're asleep or they get the
> >players' names wrong or they natter incessantly (mike emrick) or are
> >flaming homers (john davidson)

> JD is only a homer when it comes to the Rangers. I'm sorry you don't like Mike,
> but he's a well respected play by play man and is considered one of the best.
> I have firsthand knowledge that ESPN is not happy about losing him.

My personal predilection, as you point out. I guess my favorite announcer
pair has to be ESPN's Thorne and Bill Clement, mostly because of Clement.

Quote:

> >5- those fuking robots. This is hockey, not a SEGA game. Lose those fuking
> >things.

> Oh, calm down. They're trying to attract young fans, they only run these
> things during stoppages so you're not missing anything. I hate 'em to, but
> in the scheme of things this is pretty minor. Really. At least you're getting
> coverage.

I am calm. If they want young fans perhaps they should have puppets
dangling from strings after every goal. Think of the after market sales ! I
understand it's a minor point, but the point of my thread was what it is
Fox does that pisses me off. The robots are one of those things that erk
me. I'm not gonna throw a shoe at the TV, I just change the channel.

Quote:

> >6- worst of all, fuking Fox will have exclusive rights to games 1, 4, 7 of
> >finals.  All poorly done, making the experience a shitty one.

> Your dislike for Emrick and JD and the robots is all you're complaints boil
> down to. Pretty weak if you ask me.

I disagree. And I'm not really asking anyone. I'm stating my opinion,
subjective as it might be.

Quote:

> >Thank God I have ESPN2. They make Fox and ESPN look like shit.

> You gotta be kidding. Darren Pang? Steve Levy and Tom Mees (?) doing play
> by play? And you *** about Emrick and JD? You're nuts, jack...:-)

I didn't say I listened to the announcers :-). I usually have the sound
turned off and only turn it up for the goal summaries or penalties. ESPN2
has the best coverage of the three (ESPN, Fox, ESPN2) stations i get.

Quote:

> I had a chance to compare CBC and FOX with the first FLYERS Ranger game, and
> I thought FOX blew CBC away. I'm gonna get flamed big time for saying this
> sacrelige, but here goes...

Never saw CBC. In Fox's defense, I'll say they do have good camera angles
at times. And it's better than seeing no hockey at all.

--
Later, Jack

"...the nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the
means. On the contrary, the means always determine the end."-Aldous Huxley

 
 
 

FOX hockey coverage sucks because...

Post by Sean Ka » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> I had a chance to compare CBC and FOX with the first FLYERS Ranger game, and
> I thought FOX blew CBC away. I'm gonna get flamed big time for saying this
> sacrelige, but here goes...

OH come now... Fox has been pretty decent for their first year...
They've had problems with some of their play-by-play guys being really
bad and the colour guys being even worse... JD and Emrick haven't been
too bad, although JD is a homer... Mind you, CBC tends to be the Maple
Leafs network on occassion... That's a ratings thing though, so that
can be forgiven (and I am a Leafs fan!)...

But to say that Fox was better than CBC for even one game is
ludicrous... I saw the game in question... I have to disagree... Not
because I think HNIC is the best thing any Canadian network has ever
done, but simply because they are the premier network for hockey...

If I had a wish list for Fox, it would consist of them getting better
on camera crews (play-by-play and colour people), less camera flipping
(this got better, but the first week I was dizzy!) and fewer
commercials... Oh yeah, and s***the Foxbots, they are kinda silly...

And for all of you out there complaining about Fox games taking too
long for commercials, that ends starting the semi-finals... CBC is
the lead broadcaster and they therefore have final control over
commercials and when games gets played... CBC has been generous to Fox
in terms of scheduling and TV timeouts, but that ends as of this
round... CBC calls the shots because they pay top dollar for the
NHL... So, we can all sit back and enjoy some solid hockey coverage!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Kaye
2nd Year Arts
Carleton University


----------------------------------------------------------------------