PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

Post by sonny hays-eber » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 02:27:35




Quote:
> Ulf may have had a few questionable moments (yes, I am just kidding) - he also
> had one of the most solid and CLEAN hits I've seen this year.  Late in the game
> , some Sabre (not sure which), has his head down to regain control of the puck
> as he skates towards the net .... what else is there to say? You know what happ
> ens next.  Refs blew the whistles not because of a penalty but because they ass
> umed he HAD to be hurt after so vicious a blow.  He stayed down for a minute or
>  two and skated off. Vicious hit. Scary hit (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be
>  near the net for the rest of that game). But, in the end, CLEAN HIT BY ULF.  G
> od bless him.

of course in the first period he was boxed for a vicious two handed slash
at the side of a sabres players knee.

one good clean hit (on khymylev) does not make up for the rest of what he
does on the ice. it's sad, because that hit shows ulf could be physical
enough to play a respectable game, instead of the cheap-shot ***he
normally tries.

--
albert einstein nailed space-time
but the wild thing had him stumped
al baby, two and two make five and a quarter
that's why people fall in love
            -- t. dolby

sonny hays-eberts

 
 
 

PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

Post by mpc » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 21:33:46

Ulf may have had a few questionable moments (yes, I am just kidding) - he also
had one of the most solid and CLEAN hits I've seen this year.  Late in the game
, some Sabre (not sure which), has his head down to regain control of the puck
as he skates towards the net .... what else is there to say? You know what happ
ens next.  Refs blew the whistles not because of a penalty but because they ass
umed he HAD to be hurt after so vicious a blow.  He stayed down for a minute or
 two and skated off. Vicious hit. Scary hit (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be
 near the net for the rest of that game). But, in the end, CLEAN HIT BY ULF.  G
od bless him.

             Mark Correa

 
 
 

PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

Post by m.. » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 04:58:55

 {stuff deleted}
Quote:
>Hasek's style is scary.  I don't know what he was thinking coming out to the
>top of the faceoff circle to stop Robatille.  If Luc had been a little more
>alert he could have just skated right by him.  One time he was so far out of
>goal that one of his teammates (Manson?) had to make a glove save against
>Robatille in front.

  sure his style may be scary but its hard to condone it when his goals
  against average is below 2 a game for the 2nd year in a row. (yea i know the
  season is still young)
    matt
Quote:
>Cheers,
>     Steve
>  D      A      L      L      A      S  
>   t??????t ????????  %/%     t??????t  t??????t    Steve Conover

>         T     T    %/\%  T               T
>  ??????      ?   %/\% ?     ??  ??????      "Before you say anything,
>                  I was aiming for that
>          \\ //           corner" - Ron Hextall
>            \\//
>              \\//         Wakaluk for (permanent) starter!
>             //_?_\\
>            //_//    \\_\\     ROY IS GOD.  Note for Bob - get Neely!
>          //_/             \\__\\
>


 
 
 

PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

Post by Valerie Hamme » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 02:15:31

Quote:

> {stuff deleted}
>>Hasek's style is scary.  I don't know what he was thinking coming out to the
>>top of the faceoff circle to stop Robatille.  If Luc had been a little more
>>alert he could have just skated right by him.  One time he was so far out of
>>goal that one of his teammates (Manson?) had to make a glove save against
>>Robatille in front.

Huddy.  Manson doesn't play for the Sabres.

Quote:
>  sure his style may be scary but its hard to condone it when his goals
>  against average is below 2 a game for the 2nd year in a row. (yea i know the
>  season is still young)

He wanders a lot less so far this season.  That was the farthest he's
come out of net to challenge a shooter thus far this season.  Oddly
enough, as a Sabres' fan, I've started laughing when he pulls stuff
like this.  The other team never expects it, it's not a rational thing
to do.  I don't know if he's been burned more than once by it, if
that, and he certainly is doing his part in front of a tattered,
injury-riddled Buffalo defense (Muni, Houda, Sutton and Zhitnik all
out on defense, Smehlik just back from an injury, and a rookie
(Melanson) called up from Rochester a few games back (and good chance
of another callup soon, as there are only five healthy defen***)).  

He did get a little rattled against Pittsburgh, which is quite unlike
him, and I wonder what's up.  But I'd rather have Hasek out at the
blue line challenging a shooter occasionally than have Fuhr or
Stauber in goal. :-)  

 
 
 

PENS - sabres game -- HOLY SHIT THEY ARE FOR REAL!

Post by sonny hays-eber » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 01:03:09


Quote:

> What game were you watching?  He slashed no Sabre's knee in that game.
> Against Hartford, he slashed Jocelyn Lemieux who faked a little
> while(Ulf did deserve the penalty).  And it wasn't Khymylev, it was
> Smehlik that he laid out.

go back and check the boxscores. it was called (in the 1st period, i think)
and shown cleanly on the replay, with quite a bit of commentary from
shoenfield. while it hardly bordered on vicious with intent to injure, it's
just one of many examples of ulf choosing to play with a slightly looser
interpretation of the rules than most.

the sabres player had his backed turned to ulf, who chopped right across
the back/outside of the left knee and dropped the sabre and was
subsequently boxed for 2. it was kind of hard to miss

--
albert einstein nailed space-time
but the wild thing had him stumped
al baby, two and two make five and a quarter
that's why people fall in love
            -- t. dolby

sonny hays-eberts