Fox Coverage Sucks!

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Richard Shannon Pag » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00


Plus, despite Fox's 'Badboy' reputation, the *** network won't show
fighting. Fighting is amd always has been part of the game. Will they stop
airing punt returns in next years football coverage?

Screw those dopy robots.

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Eric Fi » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

I just have to make a comment here.  I was wondering if anyone else was
disappointed by the coverage of the games on Sunday?  I was thouroughly
disgusted by the number of commercial interuptions, the commercials that
they ran while play was going on, and the shoddy handling of the broadcast
in general.

It seemed to me that they totally ruined the usual flow of the game by
stopping it every two minutes to try and sell me something.  They even ran
commercials when they weren't official timeouts, only a "break in the
action".  This really annoyed me.  They were constantly missing play by
coming back from commercial late.  Fortunately for them they didn't miss
any really important action.  I don't know about anyone else but I like to
see what goes on prior to the faceoff.  As soon as the whistle blew it was
another commercial fro Pizza Hut or something else.  No analysis or other
action.  Often times there is more action after the whistle.  (You know
extracurricular activity as they like to call it.)

They also quite often had graphics covering large portions of the screen
at critical times. (less than 5 mins. to play and they put the announcers
names over top of a third of the screen.)  I was literally screaming at
the tv I was so pissed at Fox.

In general I like what Fox is trying to do, but it would be nice if they
could put some better people in charge of the production.  I hope that
they are successful in gaining new fans, the NHL can always use more, but
I don't think they will be too successful unless they improve their
quality.

BTW I was watching the Flyers-Sabres game.

I look forward to your comments,

Eric
--
|  Eric C. Finn                        | "It's a dog eat dog world and    |
|  West Chester University             | I'm wearing milkbone underwear"  |
|  Administrative Computing            |                                  |


 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Kenny Cheetah Ch » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Ya I agree.  They keep going to commercials too often.  
One thing I liked about the FOX game was the sound they provided
of the action on ice and from the crowds.  It made the game
(from home) more livelier (sp?).  I found the games on TSN
(ESPN for Americans I think) were a little bit 'dead' compared
to FOX's.  On TSN (Detroit vs. Dallas), there was hardly any
pickup of sound from the crowds or from the action on ice.  
This is one thing FOX has going for it.      

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Jack...out there somewhe » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00



Quote:

> I just have to make a comment here.  I was wondering if anyone else was
> disappointed by the coverage of the games on Sunday?  I was thouroughly
> disgusted by the number of commercial interuptions, the commercials that
> they ran while play was going on, and the shoddy handling of the broadcast
> in general.

> It seemed to me that they totally ruined the usual flow of the game by
> stopping it every two minutes to try and sell me something.  They even ran
> commercials when they weren't official timeouts, only a "break in the
> action".  This really annoyed me.  They were constantly missing play by
> coming back from commercial late.  Fortunately for them they didn't miss
> any really important action.  I don't know about anyone else but I like to
> see what goes on prior to the faceoff.  As soon as the whistle blew it was
> another commercial fro Pizza Hut or something else.  No analysis or other
> action.  Often times there is more action after the whistle.  (You know
> extracurricular activity as they like to call it.)

> They also quite often had graphics covering large portions of the screen
> at critical times. (less than 5 mins. to play and they put the announcers
> names over top of a third of the screen.)  I was literally screaming at
> the tv I was so pissed at Fox.

> In general I like what Fox is trying to do, but it would be nice if they
> could put some better people in charge of the production.  I hope that
> they are successful in gaining new fans, the NHL can always use more, but
> I don't think they will be too successful unless they improve their
> quality.

> BTW I was watching the Flyers-Sabres game.

> I look forward to your comments,

Fox sucks for hockey. They always show me some stupid detroit/dallas game
that is a total non-contest. They have a thing about demographics that's
about 30 years old in concept (i.e., people without a hockey team want to
see the team in geographic proximity to them. Most hockey people in denver
come from east of mississippi. We want games showing new york, philly,
boston. Yet we get dallas and st.louis or lame-ass chicago)

And fuk those robots, those ridiculous time outs, and james brown treating
hockey to football analogies.

Quote:

> Eric
> --
> |  Eric C. Finn                        | "It's a dog eat dog world and    |
> |  West Chester University             | I'm wearing milkbone underwear"  |
> |  Administrative Computing            |                                  |


--
Later, Jack

"...the nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the
means. On the contrary, the means always determine the end."-Aldous Huxley

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Christopher Peter Gronlun » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Yeah....some of the graphics are really cheesy...I'm lucky to be able to
see games that I want tho'....I understand the whole thing about what one
poster said about not necessarily wanting to see the closest team if you
don't have one(or they're not being televised).

I can't get over how they just kinda "zoom" out of the game for a
commercial...I've seen quite a few games now that they figure nothing
will happen in the last few minutes of a period...and they'll go to a
commercial during a fight!!!  When you get back, you wonder what's going
on?  Who got hurt, who got kicked out, etc.

They also wait too long to tell you this info after they get back and the
game's under way.

I still watch Fox, namely because there isn't much televised hockey
here(maybe we  need cable :) and reception where I am stinks :P

Who knows...maybe they'll make some more changes for next season.

Cynth

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Brian Kin » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> Fox sucks for hockey. They always show me some stupid detroit/dallas game
> that is a total non-contest. They have a thing about demographics that's
> about 30 years old in concept (i.e., people without a hockey team want to
> see the team in geographic proximity to them. Most hockey people in denver
> come from east of mississippi. We want games showing new york, philly,
> boston. Yet we get dallas and st.louis or lame-ass chicago)

> And fuk those robots, those ridiculous time outs, and james brown treating
> hockey to football analogies.

> > Eric

Fox demographics do suck.  But it really sucks if you are wedged between
two Fox markets. St Louis and Kansas City.  I live midway between the
two and I am a Blues fan.  Needless to say, I only get the KC Fox station
here.  I had to watch Rangers games all year, and now they are showing
Detroit games....

I see your point about Denver, but for Kansas City not to show Blues
games to me is criminal.  There HAS to be a greater percentage of Blues
fans in their viewing radius than any other team!  Oh well, not much
to be done about it, except go to the local bars for satellite feed.

Someday I hope Fox gets their act together, but for now Im glad ESPN is
still covering the playoffs...

Brian King

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Brian Kin » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> I can't get over how they just kinda "zoom" out of the game for a
> commercial...I've seen quite a few games now that they figure nothing
> will happen in the last few minutes of a period...and they'll go to a
> commercial during a fight!!!  When you get back, you wonder what's going
> on?  Who got hurt, who got kicked out, etc.

> They also wait too long to tell you this info after they get back and the
> game's under way.

> I still watch Fox, namely because there isn't much televised hockey
> here(maybe we  need cable :) and reception where I am stinks :P

> Who knows...maybe they'll make some more changes for next season.

> Cynth

Exactly!!! Time and time again, when the pushing and shoving starts, and
just when you think a fight may be brewing, BANG!! cut to commercial.
I think FOX is trying to *Censor* the *** of the game to focus more
on the finesse aspects.  Or, at the very least, they want to only show
what goes on during play, and not the "extracurricular" activities. I dont
think they realize how much these things can change the momentum in games.
Then again, by the very nature of FOX's extra TV timeouts, most momentum
of the game is stiffled anyway...

Fox can fit a commercial anywhere.  Sundays Blues/Nucks game-- we had
a commercial break, a faceoff, about 3 seconds of play, then the puck
went over the board, then another commercial break.  Give ME a break.
I could take everything else - the poor announcing, those same old
robots (I expected new ones for the Playoffs -- WRONG!), but the excessive
commercials are the absolute kick in the head.  For crying out loud, we
who of us doesnt know that SOMEONE on Melrose is going to get shot?
Who the hell cares?

Ooops, Im rambling here, FOX can really get the old *** pressure
rising...

Brian King

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by tom wils » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:


>> I just have to make a comment here.  I was wondering if anyone else was
>> disappointed by the coverage of the games on Sunday?  I was thouroughly
>> disgusted by the number of commercial interuptions,...

You should have seen Boston/NJ. I never saw so many break. Thanks to the NJ
trap, there were lots of icings and offsides. The other games seemed to have
fewer commercials (granted, I only saw parts of the other games when I changed
from the Bos/NJ commercials). I don't have a problem with any other part of the
broadcast. I tend to get really involved in the action and don't pay much
attention to the announcers, graphics, etc.

Quote:
>> could put some better people in charge of the production.  I hope that
>> they are successful in gaining new fans, the NHL can always use more, but
>> I don't think they will be too successful unless they improve their
>> quality.

For the majority of people, it's better than the SportsChannel days since a
small percentage got that channel.

Now for Jack's comments:

Quote:
>Fox sucks for hockey. They always show me some stupid detroit/dallas game
>that is a total non-contest. They have a thing about demographics that's

Your location sucks. All the games are on the dish, same satellite in fact
so that you can flip channels between games. If your local Fox shows Was/Pit,
someone else will *** about not seen a midwest team. They can't please
everybody. Be glad there was a game on at all. Since the final was 4-3, I can't
imagine what you are talking about. You could have gotten the 5-0 NJ blowout
game and you would have been happy, right?

Quote:
>We want games showing new york, philly,
>boston. Yet we get dallas and st.louis or lame-ass chicago)

Buy a dish. I think even a little one will get you all the games.

Quote:
>And fuk those robots

I don't care for them. But I think they are great for young kids since kids'
toys are robots nowadays (transformers, etc.). I remember the days of Peter
Puck -- that was great. I'm sure the young ***s *** about a cartoon during
a hockey game, but it hooked me as a little kid. If Fox did something that
attracted more women to the game, I could put up with that too.

Finally, you only have to suffer with Fox for one day a week, if you can even
call it suffering. I don't think they have the Sunday games all the way until
the end either (could be wrong there). There was still a game on Sunday night
on ESPN2, if you get it.

I can think of worse things to complain about (like not getting games at all).
If you don't like what game your getting, talk to your local Fox station.
Complaining to us won't make it happen. Complaining to them won't make it
happen either since they will claim that others in your area want the game they
are showing (and they might be right). So it looks like you'll have to
eliminate a good part of the population in your area first. (Of course, I'm
just poking fun here, so don't get too pissed off 8-)

Tom

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Christopher Peter Gronlun » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Brian,
hehehe...I know what you mean(not including past post for sake of saving
space)

I also get a little "spaced" with their announcers...

Since I'm a Texan (yes...I know..) I have only known about hockey since
the Stars have been here...and I like their announcers...unfortunately
they aren't televised a lot.  Ah well...I'm still getting my hockey
fix...and I'm quite happy

(but I know what you mean :)

Just glad to get to see Moog and Belfour dance for a while...even if
that's all they did ;)

Cynth (Stars and Hawks fan :)

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Jennifer Lyl » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> > Fox sucks for hockey. They always show me some stupid detroit/dallas game
> > And ***those robots, those ridiculous time outs, and james

brown treating > > hockey to football analogies.
Quote:
> > > Eric

> Someday I hope Fox gets their act together, but for now Im glad ESPN is
> still covering the playoffs...
> Brian King

Fox isn't perfect. I'll be the first to agree but, for those of us who
don't have access to cable it's a godsend.  Since we can't get cable I
have to either not watch games or drive 1/2 hour to my grandmother's
house to see them.  I think Fox will get better as it goes along but at
least they deem hockey "worthy" enough to show on TV.

Jennifer

 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Michael Nove » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

|> Fox demographics do suck.  But it really sucks if you are wedged between
|> two Fox markets. St Louis and Kansas City.  I live midway between the
|> two and I am a Blues fan.  Needless to say, I only get the KC Fox station
|> here.  I had to watch Rangers games all year, and now they are showing
|> Detroit games....
|>
|> I see your point about Denver, but for Kansas City not to show Blues
|> games to me is criminal.  There HAS to be a greater percentage of Blues
|> fans in their viewing radius than any other team!  Oh well, not much
|> to be done about it, except go to the local bars for satellite feed.
|>
|> Someday I hope Fox gets their act together, but for now Im glad ESPN is
|> still covering the playoffs...

Why?  Do you like seeing the Rangers every other night?  ESPN sucks
worse.  At least Fox _TRIES_ to do regional coverage even if they
***it up now and then.

* Michael Novean            :  ***ia Polytechnic Institute  *


 
 
 

Fox Coverage Sucks!

Post by Matthew Siraws » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

: Exactly!!! Time and time again, when the pushing and shoving starts, and
: just when you think a fight may be brewing, BANG!! cut to commercial.
: I think FOX is trying to *Censor* the *** of the game to focus more
:
: ...

: Brian King

I noticed that too (BTW I got to see Bruins/Devils).  Everytime
there was a fight, they'd cut to commercial or pan around the ice
as if they were looking for something else to show and then back
after the players were on the ice.  I think that in the spirit of
the robots, they are trying to make the game PC.  I was getting
frustrated...

mjs