Kick out Mats Naslund!

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Eric Rick » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 05:20:45


That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
not the whole tournament.  Now US is left with only 6 defenseman (Young
plays defense, but still...).  Anyway, I'm watching the game and it is
getting very rough.  

I hate to say it, but if Naslund did that a couple yaers ago in the NHL,
he would have been taken off on a stretcher.
--

Go: Penguins, Red Wings, Jr. Barons, Thunderbirds, and Cavs!

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Mark Shneyder 432-42 » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 05:29:23


Quote:

>That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
>that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if

Brown should be back by next game gainst France or Czech. on Wed.
Donato just made it 2-zip. Go USA. Looks like Swedes will play Unified Team
and that's going to be a war. I think this Swedish team is quite***y
and  overly arrogant. I hope Russians knock them out.

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Bri Farene » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 07:59:54

Quote:

>That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
>that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
>not the whole tournament.  Now US is left with only 6 defenseman (Young
>plays defense, but still...).  Anyway, I'm watching the game and it is
>getting very rough.  

I hate to disagree with you Eric, but what makes you think that the hit
was warranting of a Olympic ban (even if it's temporary). Note that Naslund
glided not skated before the hit and did not use his stick either. The
fact that he left his feet was due to his diminutiveness...it doesn't justify
it but it explains it. There was absolutely no malicious intent in my opinion.

Was a major due? Perhaps. An ejection? I doubt it. A suspension? No way in hell.
Don't let you like of Team USA overcome your sense of fairness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

GO                      
Phoenix Suns:   1975-76 WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS
Boston Bruins   1929, 1939, 1941, 1970, 1972 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
U. of Arizona Wildcats basketball   1984-1991 PAC-10 CHAMPS
Adirondack Red Wings            1981, 1986, 1989 CALDER CUP CHAMPS      
Clarkson Golden Knights hockey  1962, 1966, 1970 NCAA FINALISTS

USA HOCKEY      1990 Goodwill Games Silver Medalists (higher than Canada!)
                1991 Canada Cup Finalists  
                1992 World Junior Bronze Medalists (higher than Canada!!)
                1992 Olympic ____ Medalists ?   (higher than Canada?)

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Bri Farene » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 08:04:25

Quote:

>That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
>that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
>not the whole tournament.  Now US is left with only 6 defenseman (Young
>plays defense, but still...).  Anyway, I'm watching the game and it is
>getting very rough.  

BTW- Was it Brown or Hill who was hit?

BRI

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Nelson » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 08:18:37


Quote:
>and that's going to be a war. I think this Swedish team is quite***y
>and  overly arrogant. I hope Russians knock them out.

About arrogance, is it arrogance or just coincidence that Sweden started Roger
Nordstrom in goal rather than Tommy Soderstrom?  If my impression is right,
Soderstrom is definitely the No. 1 guy, and you would expect him playing in
this important a game...

===============================================================================
"Craven for chocolate?  Kiss some Hershey Bears!"
GO LOS ANGELES KINGS!  Wayne Gretzky for Ross and Hart!
GO SAN JOSE SHARKS!  Perry Berezan for Selke!  Pat Falloon for Calder!
===============================================================================

rec.sport.hockey contact for the San Jose Sharks

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Nor Aazizam Mohd Aas » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 09:03:24


Quote:

>That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
>that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
>not the whole tournament.  Now US is left with only 6 defenseman (Young
>plays defense, but still...).  Anyway, I'm watching the game and it is
>getting very rough.  

>I hate to say it, but if Naslund did that a couple yaers ago in the NHL,
>he would have been taken off on a stretcher.

        One question:  What distinguishes a clean hard check than the
one performed by Natslund on Brown?  It sure looked like a good check
to me, but I don't really watch too many hockey games....

===------
NorAazizam MohdAAsif    
The white man made many promises to us but they never kept but one; they
promised to take our land and they took it.
                                                        Red Cloud

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Glenn Tann » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 09:16:15

Quote:

>That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
>that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
>not the whole tournament.  Now US is left with only 6 defenseman (Young
>plays defense, but still...).  Anyway, I'm watching the game and it is
>getting very rough.  

Didn't Mats Naslund win the Lady Byng Trophy several times?

Tan

 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Eric Rick » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:00:55


Quote:
>I hate to disagree with you Eric, but what makes you think that the hit
>was warranting of a Olympic ban (even if it's temporary). Note that Naslund
>glided not skated before the hit and did not use his stick either. The
>fact that he left his feet was due to his diminutiveness...it doesn't justify
>it but it explains it. There was absolutely no malicious intent in my opinion.

>Was a major due? Perhaps. An ejection? I doubt it. A suspension? No way in hell.
>Don't let you like of Team USA overcome your sense of fairness.

In the NHL, you can always call up another defenseman from the farm for
the next game.  In Olympic hockey, you can't.  US is now stuck with 6
defensmen (true ones, that is) through no fault of their own.  Olympic
hockey isn't not supposed to be rough, and you should NEVER EVER leave
your skates to make a check, and that should go doouble for olympic
hockey.  Naslund should pay for the consequences of his actions, even
though you contend he didn't mean to do it.  Who cares?  The main point
is that he purposely left his skates to mmake a check, and he did put
out a player, possibly for the rest of the tournament.  There is no
excuse for a check like that, especially given the fact that USA is not
(now) short through no fault of their own.  Sweden and Naslund should
pay for a stupid play.

Quote:

>-----------------------------------------------------------------

>GO                  
>Phoenix Suns:       1975-76 WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS
>Boston Bruins       1929, 1939, 1941, 1970, 1972 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
>U. of Arizona Wildcats basketball   1984-1991 PAC-10 CHAMPS
>Adirondack Red Wings                1981, 1986, 1989 CALDER CUP CHAMPS      
>Clarkson Golden Knights hockey      1962, 1966, 1970 NCAA FINALISTS

>USA HOCKEY  1990 Goodwill Games Silver Medalists (higher than Canada!)
>            1991 Canada Cup Finalists  
>            1992 World Junior Bronze Medalists (higher than Canada!!)
>            1992 Olympic ____ Medalists ?   (higher than Canada?)

--

Go: Penguins, Red Wings, Jr. Barons, Thunderbirds, and Cavs!
 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Eric Rick » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:02:19


Quote:
>About arrogance, is it arrogance or just coincidence that Sweden started Roger
>Nordstrom in goal rather than Tommy Soderstrom?  If my impression is right,
>Soderstrom is definitely the No. 1 guy, and you would expect him playing in
>this important a game...

Soderstrom even warmed up in the goal crease and roughed it up.  The
Swedes, right before the faceoff to start the game, all gathered around
the goal, and when they parted, Nordstrom was in goal.
--

Go: Penguins, Red Wings, Jr. Barons, Thunderbirds, and Cavs!
 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Eric Rick » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:05:07


Quote:
>    One question:  What distinguishes a clean hard check than the
>one performed by Natslund on Brown?  It sure looked like a good check
>to me, but I don't really watch too many hockey games....

In this case, Naslund left his skates to make a hit on Brown, who wasn't
even involved in the play.  Brian said that in fairness to Naslund, he
was coasting before he make the hit.  If he was coasting, he saw that
Brown passed the puck a couple seconds ago, and could have turned away.
Instead, he basically took a run at Brown.

Quote:

>===------
>NorAazizam MohdAAsif        
>The white man made many promises to us but they never kept but one; they
>promised to take our land and they took it.
>                                                        Red Cloud

--

Go: Penguins, Red Wings, Jr. Barons, Thunderbirds, and Cavs!
 
 
 

Kick out Mats Naslund!

Post by Carl Hall » Wed, 19 Feb 1992 11:09:45


   That hit on Sean Hill was totally uncalled for.  I hope the IOC reviews
   that hit and kicks him out for at least as long as Brown will be out, if
   not the whole tournament.

Swedish TV had two US players, both playing in the Swedish elitserie,
in the studio. Both of them claimed that it was a clean check and that
no penalty should be called at all. The coach of the French team,
Kjell Larsson also said that it was a clean check.

        Carl Hallen