The Judge is a Manly supporter too!

The Judge is a Manly supporter too!

Post by Peter Davie » Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> Its not a monopoly, if you'd bother to read newspapers and even *gosh*
> the other postings on this newgroup, you'd know that ARL holds no
> monopoly on Rugby League, tho it sounds like it, ARL still has to fight
> other sports for the commercial dollar.

Yes but within RL they have been able to fix prices, hold down wages and do
what they liked and fine anyone who dares complain. (Except for Bozo, Gus etc
etc) I'm not a legal person like Judge Burchett but i'm a Rugby League fan
unlike Burchett who said he didn't know anything about RL. Probably a union
fan. A Sydney person not knowing league. Yeah and John Howard doesn't know
anything about unions.

Quote:

> > Well as SL takes it's last gulp of air in a whirlpool of corruption and greed, Rugby League subsides
> >  once again into the dark ages of ARL mismanagement and favouritism.


> Not many complained about there Management before Superleague arose remember.

No not true. I have been writing to them complaining. Quayle said thank you
for your interest in *our* game. People's game eh! The Super League happened
because the ARL are bozos. They have taken a great game and have been
screwing it for whatever reason they give. Super League is the result of
their ineptitude and testimony that other people have thought likewise and
for a long time.

Quote:

> > If this Manly Judge only knew what a disastrous monster it is that he
> > has just revived and how much he has just killed the game we love and call
> > Rugby League.

> Do you have some deepset hatred of Manly or what?, where the hell idea
> did you get the idea he was a Manly supporter.

Maybe it is wrong to say the Judge supports Manly but the Judge is only
helping Rugby Union. People's contempt for Manly goes back a long way,
probably before you were born, but it is there you can't argue that. And it
is not irrational. Having a fool like Arko running the game when he has
always been Manly thru and thru is stupid. This mess can only be blamed on
the people who run the game. Give them the chop for the good of the game.

Quote:
> Create.

============
Peter Davies
 
 
 

The Judge is a Manly supporter too!

Post by Peter Davie » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


> >Yes but within RL they have been able to fix prices, hold down wages and do
> >what they liked and fine anyone who dares complain. (Except for Bozo, Gus etc
> >etc) I'm not a legal person like Judge Burchett but i'm a Rugby League fan
> >unlike Burchett who said he didn't know anything about RL. Probably a union
> >fan. A Sydney person not knowing league. Yeah and John Howard doesn't know
> >anything about unions.

> What prices have been fixed? ground entry?, its cheaper to go and see a couple
> of games of RL than to go and see a movie. Hold down wages? for who's benefit,

Create said it was not monopoly. I'm asking where is the competition. Of
course there is none. They can do what they like because they have a monopoly
over RL. That is why they went to court to protect their monopoly. They do
not have the best interests of the game at heart. And neither does the judge.
The judge has ruled that RL competes with other codes but does not understand
or does not want to understand that true RL fans want RL and within that
market the ARL have a monopoly. You'd think the ARL management would
understand that but they don't care because they're a business interested in
gaining a monopoly. They have forgotten the true roots of this game.

Quote:
> it couldn't have been Manly and Easts they are both rich clubs and could
> afford to spend all they wanted it only restricted them. As far as I can
> remember last year the only person who copped a fine was 'Gus' Gould $10000.

Does Gus get paid as much as Malcom Reilly?

Quote:
> The judge is a soccer fan, I know people in Sydney (and who have always lived
> there) who have no interest at all in RL and have no idea about the game at
> all, there must be people like that in Canberra too.

Yes but do you really think that the judge is one of them. To quote your hero
Arko "Blokes don't just come from nowhere".

Quote:

>>> Not many complained about there Management before Superleague arose remember.

>>No not true. I have been writing to them complaining. Quayle said thank you
>>for your interest in *our* game. People's game eh! The Super League happened
>>because the ARL are bozos. They have taken a great game and have been
>>screwing it for whatever reason they give. Super League is the result of
>>their ineptitude and testimony that other people have thought likewise and
>>for a long time.

> When he says *our* means everyone including himself, he could have said your
> game but then that wouldn't include himself and he's part of the people!.

This is getting too silly. Why are they in court if there concerned over the
game?

Sure

Quote:
> people complained, some people complain about anything, but the way you
> portray things you'd think there would constantly have been headlines about
> mismanagement, incompetence, I don't recall many if any.

OK there are ARL people (like yourself) scratching their heads saying "Whats
everybody going on about".

Quote:

> You think the ARL are bozos, what does that make SL, they have been
> incompetent from the start, look at the position they are in now, and you'd
> prefer these people to run the game?

Competition improves things. If the ARL had to compete they would too.

Quote:

> >Maybe it is wrong to say the Judge supports Manly but the Judge is only
> >helping Rugby Union.

> Well if the SL people would accept the judges decision and wait for the appeal
> to be heard we'd be into the 2nd week of the competition now and in a much
> better position to combat RU wouldn't we, and you say it is the ARL who is
> destroying the game?.

The ARL are running it. They defied the IRL cos they want a monopoly or is
Packer in it for his mates.

Quote:

> >Having a fool like Arko running the game when he has
> >always been Manly thru and thru is stupid. This mess can only be blamed on
> >the people who run the game. Give them the chop for the good of the game.

> So before Arko was Kevin Humphries also a fool because he was Balmain, Bill
> Buckley (Newtown), 'Jersey' Flegg (Easts) all these men had ties to their
> respective clubs.

The game was run by all the Sydney clubs and the Country leagues. You have a
lot of trouble with history don't you.

Quote:
> this mess can only be blamed on the people who run the game, it's the people
> who want to run the game!.

> Richard

So you'd blame John Howard for the last 13 years of Labor Government too.

============
Peter Davies

 
 
 

The Judge is a Manly supporter too!

Post by James Smi » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
Peter Davies writes:
>> What prices have been fixed? ground entry?, its cheaper to go and see a couple
>> of games of RL than to go and see a movie. Hold down wages? for who's benefit,

> Create said it was not monopoly. I'm asking where is the competition.

The Ericcson cup, the AFL, the rugby union competition, the local Brisbane
comp, the local Newcastle comp, ..., the Australian Opera.

The judge has ruled that the marketplace that the ARL competition competes in
is wider than just the list of rugby league competitions, and in fact extends
to all sporting competitions and other entertainments. He has also ruled that
the marketplace for players' talents, though not as wide, extends to other
sports besides rugby league. Hence the ARL do not have a monopoly.

Quote:
> The judge has ruled that RL competes with other codes but does not understand
> or does not want to understand that true RL fans want RL and within that
> market the ARL have a monopoly.

Anyone can set up a rugby league comp in Australia and run it in competition
with the ARL, in the same way that anyone can brew a new beer. The ARL has
an advantage in that it has been at it longer, but that's life. The fact
that no one else has chosen to set up in opposition does not mean that no
one can.

The rulings against superleague are not about preventing other leagues from
competing with the ARL. They are about preventing a group who sought to
destroy the ARL and/or take over control of it in an illegal manner from
benefitting from their actions.

If News had simply set up their own competition and proceeded from there
their would have been nothing the ARL could have done. The fact is that
they were never interested in competing, only in gaining exclusive access
to a particular sport in order to gain pay TV subscriptions.

Quote:
>> The judge is a soccer fan, I know people in Sydney (and who have always lived
>> there) who have no interest at all in RL and have no idea about the game at
>> all, there must be people like that in Canberra too.

> Yes but do you really think that the judge is one of them. To quote your hero
> Arko "Blokes don't just come from nowhere".

He has said he has no interest in league--why don't you believe him. You got
quite hot under the collar the other day when someone cast aspersions on
your own statements.

Quote:
>> When he says *our* means everyone including himself, he could have said your
>> game but then that wouldn't include himself and he's part of the people!.

This business over using 'our' in a letter is really a matter of
interpretation, and while it is open to multiple readings (or at least I
assume so from the comments I have seen) I do think that you are placing too
much emphasis on it. It's most likely that John Quayle did not regard your
letter as very important--perhaps it was one of hundreds he recieved on the
same subject--and simply drafted a quick reply. The fact that he goes to no
effort to justify himself would support that. It would be interesting to know
just how many letters the ARL get from angry fans each time such an incident
happens.

Quote:
> Competition improves things. If the ARL had to compete they would too.

Hopefully the threat of competition in 2000 will be enough to get some
'improvements' happening.

Quote:
> The game was run by all the Sydney clubs and the Country leagues. You have a
> lot of trouble with history don't you.

Mostly the Sydney clubs. Country sides have always played second fiddle.
You only have to look as far as the 1945 State Championships to see that.

Jim
--
James J Smith             | One of the biggest obstacles to the future
Faculty of Engineering    | of computing is C. C is the last attempt
Newcastle University      | of the high priesthood to control the

--------------------------+ and the Pharisees who did not want the
masses to learn to read and write.                  -- Jerry Pournelle