Bulls too slow

Bulls too slow

Post by Jonathan Taylo » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Just got back from probably the most frustrating game I have ever seen.
Bradford wasted enough chances to win this match 3 times over.

Bradford's main weekness seems to be their lack of pace in the backs.  Time
and time again this season I have seen teams score from long distance in
broken play simply because no Bradford player is fast enough to track back.

This weakness hasn't been exploited by other British teams because Bradford
have got an excellent attack, especially when near the line. However, this
isn't enough against Aussie teams who normally have solid defences.
Penrith scored 3 tries from long distance after Bradford had spilled the
ball.  Also when Bradford broke tackles, they never looked like scoring
because Penrith tracked back and got tackles in.  

This problem with lack of pace has been exacerbated by Matthew Elliott's
decision to sell Paul Cook, the one genuinely quick player Bradford had. He
has now resorted to playing Matt Calland, a forward, on the wing!  

Bradford probably have a big enough lead to win Super League but if they
wish to remain at the top they will need to sign somebody with speed and
not a hulking back /forward.

Jon Taylor

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Agree with all your points on Bradford's lack of pace. It doesn't help
when you have a winger with a centre of gravity just under his chin. Jon
Scales can trip over a blade of grass.

: This problem with lack of pace has been exacerbated by Matthew Elliott's
: decision to sell Paul Cook, the one genuinely quick player Bradford had. He
: has now resorted to playing Matt Calland, a forward, on the wing!  

Matt Calland was, is and probably ever will be a centre. I don't think
he's played in the pack for Featherstone or Bradford.

: Bradford probably have a big enough lead to win Super League but if they
: wish to remain at the top they will need to sign somebody with speed and
: not a hulking back /forward.

Well, I've heard this rumour 6 times now from different people so there
may be some inkling of truth in it, somehow I doubt it though. It would
seem that, in exchange for Jeff Wittenberg and Loughlin plus a wad of cash,
Bradford are going to sign Henry Paul.

--
Chris Russell           | Bradford Bulls - Wembley 1997
Electronic Imaging Unit |
University of Bradford  | Tough on St.Helens
TEL: +44 1274 385463    | Tough on the causes of St.Helens.

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Chalk » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00



[Snip]

Quote:
>  Also when Bradford broke tackles, they never looked like scoring
> because Penrith tracked back and got tackles in.  

Never looked like scoring.  I could have sworn the Bulls scored three tries!

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Mr P Halliwel » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> Just got back from probably the most frustrating game I have ever seen.
> Bradford wasted enough chances to win this match 3 times over.
> Bradford's main weekness seems to be their lack of pace in the backs.  Time
> and time again this season I have seen teams score from long distance in
> broken play simply because no Bradford player is fast enough to track back.

Jon,
I watched the 2nd half and Bradford gave the game to Penrith.
You are right in saying Bradford fluffed enough chances in the 2nd
half to put the game beyond Penrith.

There were a few differances.

1 - That damn Aus lack of playing the ball properly.
2 - The high tackles the Aussies get away with.
    Although Bradford started getting stuck in later on and rightly so.
3 - Lack of pace in Bradford to chase a breakaway by Penrith.
4 - ***finnishing by Bradford. And a lack of vision to go for drop goals.
    Had they landed a couple of these they would have won.
5 - Not putting up high balls in the Penrith in-goal area when on the last
    tackle.  And no kick and chases out of defense.
6 - Lastly and most importantly,  Scales and McNamara stood there like
    a couple of tackle bags Whilst Penrith scored the winner.

--

http://SportToday.org/;|\_/^~^~^~^\_/|
Wigan Warriors RLFC                        \__|\0\ /0/|__/
But still Wigan RLFC to me                    \   I   /
                                               \ -=- /
                                                ^^^^^

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by WiganRLf » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
(Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats) writes:
>t would
>seem that, in exchange for Jeff Wittenberg and Loughlin plus a wad of
cash,
>Bradford are going to sign Henry Paul.

Err who is / what is Wittenberg?  And why would Wigan want Loughlin?  Why
would they want to get rid of H. Paul?

***y strange idea this one.

Dave

Wigan RLFC - Simply THE Best.

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Steve Morri » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Agree with all your points on Bradford's lack of pace. It doesn't help
>when you have a winger with a centre of gravity just under his chin. Jon
>Scales can trip over a blade of grass.

Yep its a choice, Bradford need to isolate the backs one on one to make
their size tell. Speed of thought was their undoing rather than their
speed of foot.

How many sets of six completed? how many pointless offloads turning over
position. How many aimless kicks.

Bradford still should have won. Should have played the game tighter,
they were clearly on top, they should have just kept turning the screw,
if they were behind or at least 16 points clear throw the ball around a
bit in the last 15 minutes.  

Quote:
>: This problem with lack of pace has been exacerbated by Matthew Elliott's
>: decision to sell Paul Cook, the one genuinely quick player Bradford had. He
>: has now resorted to playing Matt Calland, a forward, on the wing!  

>Matt Calland was, is and probably ever will be a centre. I don't think
>he's played in the pack for Featherstone or Bradford.

>: Bradford probably have a big enough lead to win Super League but if they
>: wish to remain at the top they will need to sign somebody with speed and
>: not a hulking back /forward.

Bradford did more than enough to win last night. They have a trade off
between power and pace, last night the equation would have worked in
Bradford's game plan had been to put them under pressure by retaining
posession and playing a clever kicking game.

Real pace is always an assett, but that's not why Bradford lost.

Quote:

>Well, I've heard this rumour 6 times now from different people so there
>may be some inkling of truth in it, somehow I doubt it though. It would
>seem that, in exchange for Jeff Wittenberg and Loughlin plus a wad of cash,
>Bradford are going to sign Henry Paul.

Why do Wigan need a goal kicker or a loose forward.

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00


: (Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats) writes:

: >t would
: >seem that, in exchange for Jeff Wittenberg and Loughlin plus a wad of
: cash,
: >Bradford are going to sign Henry Paul.

: Err who is / what is Wittenberg?  And why would Wigan want Loughlin?  Why
: would they want to get rid of H. Paul?

: ***y strange idea this one.

I don't believe it either. I believe it may have been suggested to Wigan,
but I believe it will be thrown in the bin.

From last night's show in the second half Henry Paul is the last player
Bradford need right now. It's just been suggested to me by enough people
for me to believe there is some element of truth in the rumour.

That guy that copped an elbow last night against Penrith is Jeff
Wittenberg. Decent enough player just starting to find a bit of form. I
think he'd shape up to be a solid prop forward and that Bradford haven't
seen all of what he is capable of yet.

--
Chris Russell           | Bradford Bulls - Wembley 1997
Electronic Imaging Unit |
University of Bradford  | Tough on St.Helens
TEL: +44 1274 385463    | Tough on the causes of St.Helens.

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Hmmmm... » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

<Snip>

Quote:
> This problem with lack of pace has been exacerbated by Matthew >

Elliott's decision to sell Paul Cook, the one genuinely quick player >
Bradford had. He has now resorted to playing Matt Calland, a forward, > on
the wing!  

Agreed !!

Quote:
> Bradford probably have a big enough lead to win Super League but if >

they wish to remain at the top they will need to sign somebody with > speed
and not a hulking back /forward.

Small point I know, but Calland was a three quarter both at Rochdale and
Featherstone and to my knowledge has never played in the forwards for any
noticeable period.

Quote:

> Jon Taylor

Hmmm....
 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Jame » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>(Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats) writes:

>>t would
>>seem that, in exchange for Jeff Wittenberg and Loughlin plus a wad of
>cash,
>>Bradford are going to sign Henry Paul.

>Err who is / what is Wittenberg?  And why would Wigan want Loughlin?  Why
>would they want to get rid of H. Paul?

>***y strange idea this one.

>Dave

>Wigan RLFC - Simply THE Best.

    Wigan want Wittenberg and Loughlin ?

    That's a cracker. It really is.

    For Henry Paul ?

    That really is an absolute belter.

    Regards,

    James.

 
 
 

Bulls too slow

Post by Henry F Franci » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> There were a few differances.

> 1 - That damn Aus lack of playing the ball properly.
> 2 - The high tackles the Aussies get away with.
>     Although Bradford started getting stuck in later on and rightly so.
> 3 - Lack of pace in Bradford to chase a breakaway by Penrith.
> 4 - ***finnishing by Bradford. And a lack of vision to go for drop goals.
>     Had they landed a couple of these they would have won.
> 5 - Not putting up high balls in the Penrith in-goal area when on the last
>     tackle.  And no kick and chases out of defense.
> 6 - Lastly and most importantly,  Scales and McNamara stood there like
>     a couple of tackle bags Whilst Penrith scored the winner.

That's what I like about this WCC.
Learning off each other can only make the game better.
I saw the game the same way,fair assessment.
Penrith looked very nervous,(unusual for them)it was a big occasion for
them.Alot of young kids in the team.They know how good the Bulls and
Wigan are.
Henry:)
Quote:

> --

> http://SportToday.org/;|\_/^~^~^~^\_/|
> Wigan Warriors RLFC                        \__|\0\ /0/|__/
> But still Wigan RLFC to me                    \   I   /
>                                                \ -=- /
>                                                 ^^^^^