The Tallis incident

The Tallis incident

Post by Mugwu » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Well, to be quite honest I think you are all being a little unfair
on our Australian cousins.

Sure the Tallis/O'Connor incident was a bit ugly but you have got
to take into account that *** (i.e. punch-ups) are viewed completely
differently in Australia than they are in Britain.

When Grandstand covers a match and it starts to get ugly they pan the
cameras away so we the public can be protected from such displays
of thuggery :-)

On Channel 9 they actually pan in closer, with the commentators egging
each of the opponents on!

To be quite honest, one of the reasons why I used to watch State-of-Origin
was to see the big dust up when the first bloke who caught the ball carted
it up and got clobbered.

You can't blame the Australians for not taking severe action against a
player for fighting, when it is almost second nature in their game.

I know all you Wiganers a seething because O'Connor got his face panned
in - but lets face it, I wouldn't have shed a tear if O'Connor had thrown
the first punch and had knocked Tallis flat on his arse for no reason.

Fighting - I love it, and so do you, only you won't admit it, the risk
of causing serious injury in a punch up is nothing compared to that of
getting an elbow in the face. Remember knuckles banging on a head usually
results in the knuckles receiving the shit end of the stick.

IMO the sin-bin is the ideal punishment for fighting and the red card
is over-kill - my thoughts anyway.

Mugwump.
    !!    |-------------------------------------------|    !!

   !!!!   |        --iNTERzONE iNcORpOrATED---        |   !!!!
  /    \  |-------------------------------------------|  /    \
 ( O||O ) |"I think it's time for you boys to share my| ( O||O )
 (  /\  ) |last taste of the true black meat - flesh  | (  /\  )
  (/##\)  |of the giant aquatic Brazilian Centipede"  |  (/##\)

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Lloyd J. Barkha » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Well, to be quite honest I think you are all being a little unfair
>on our Australian cousins.

Why should we be fair to this bunch of convicts.

Quote:
>Sure the Tallis/O'Connor incident was a bit ugly but you have got
>to take into account that *** (i.e. punch-ups) are viewed completely
>differently in Australia than they are in Britain.

You have to look at the events that led up to the punch up. Tallis tries
to decapitate Tony Smith which is ignored by the ref, and then spear
tackles O'Connor. IMHO it was definitely a spear tackle. Tallis put his
hand in between O'Connors legs (no ***ty replies please :-)), lifted
him and dumped him on his head. Harrigan ignores this as well. If we
ignore the punch up as advocated by Mugsy then the events preceding
should have been grounds enough for Tallis to be put on Report and
banned.

Quote:
>When Grandstand covers a match and it starts to get ugly they pan the
>cameras away so we the public can be protected from such displays
>of thuggery :-)

>On Channel 9 they actually pan in closer, with the commentators egging
>each of the opponents on!

>To be quite honest, one of the reasons why I used to watch State-of-Origin
>was to see the big dust up when the first bloke who caught the ball carted
>it up and got clobbered.

Fair comment. I even replayed the fight on the video for my wife who
hates RL but she certainly enjoyed it.

Quote:
>You can't blame the Australians for not taking severe action against a
>player for fighting, when it is almost second nature in their game.

>I know all you Wiganers a seething because O'Connor got his face panned
>in - but lets face it, I wouldn't have shed a tear if O'Connor had thrown
>the first punch and had knocked Tallis flat on his arse for no reason.

>Fighting - I love it, and so do you, only you won't admit it, the risk
>of causing serious injury in a punch up is nothing compared to that of
>getting an elbow in the face. Remember knuckles banging on a head usually
>results in the knuckles receiving the shit end of the stick.

>IMO the sin-bin is the ideal punishment for fighting and the red card
>is over-kill - my thoughts anyway.

Maybe, but see my comments above re what should have been punished.

Quote:
>Mugwump.

--
Lloyd


 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Paul McNal » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Fighting - I love it, and so do you, only you won't admit it, the risk
>of causing serious injury in a punch up is nothing compared to that of
>getting an elbow in the face. Remember knuckles banging on a head usually
>results in the knuckles receiving the shit end of the stick.

Agreed. It was probably the most agressive one for a while but I bet
it's got the game more publicity than it would have got!

It's prolly done more good than harm. I was going to the return match
anyway but now I'm even looking forward to it, if only for Cowie's
inevitable cheap shot that'll spark a mass brawl.

Wonder if Wigan and Brisbane will join forces and complain when they
get fined for that one.

Paul

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Paul McNal » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:37:15 +0100, "Lloyd J. Barkham"

Quote:

>You have to look at the events that led up to the punch up. Tallis tries
>to decapitate Tony Smith which is ignored by the ref, and then spear
>tackles O'Connor. IMHO it was definitely a spear tackle. Tallis put his
>hand in between O'Connors legs (no ***ty replies please :-)), lifted
>him and dumped him on his head. Harrigan ignores this as well. If we
>ignore the punch up as advocated by Mugsy then the events preceding
>should have been grounds enough for Tallis to be put on Report and
>banned.

The high one was bad but I have seen worse this season.

He obviously just flipped out Cantona style.

Quote:
>Fair comment. I even replayed the fight on the video for my wife who
>hates RL but she certainly enjoyed it.

I did for my girlfriend who just looked at me in wonder and said
"Which one's Wigan?" :)

Paul

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Jim Whur » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Agreed that the odd punch up is part of the game, but is not dealt with
consistently. 2 seasons ago the same would have happened here... 2 x
sin-binning. Now, however, we have an *image* concious administration -
so... sendings off and bannings. All I want is the same treatment in the
WCC no matter which side of the world we play at.

Btw, for real punch-ups watch US Ice Hockey, some pretty awesome fighting.
At the end the refs just decide who started it and sin bin em... in the
meantime the media are showing re-runs to decide who did start it (and
along the way admiring the technique shown by the adversaries). Mind u with
the padding those guys wear... :))

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Antonioni P » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> Date: 19 Jun 1997 16:33:57 GMT

> Newsgroups: rec.sport.rugby.league
> Subject: Re: The Tallis incident

> Agreed that the odd punch up is part of the game, but is not dealt with
> consistently. 2 seasons ago the same would have happened here... 2 x
> sin-binning. Now, however, we have an *image* concious administration -
> so... sendings off and bannings. All I want is the same treatment in the
> WCC no matter which side of the world we play at.

> Btw, for real punch-ups watch US Ice Hockey, some pretty awesome fighting.
> At the end the refs just decide who started it and sin bin em... in the
> meantime the media are showing re-runs to decide who did start it (and
> along the way admiring the technique shown by the adversaries). Mind u with
> the padding those guys wear... :))

Agreed, but that doesn't explain why Brisbane got the penalty. that was
fairly suspicious, and secondly why the disciplinary board took the action
they did.
P.J.
 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Henry F Franci » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Agreed that the odd punch up is part of the game, but is not dealt with
> consistently. 2 seasons ago the same would have happened here... 2 x
> sin-binning. Now, however, we have an *image* concious administration -
> so... sendings off and bannings. All I want is the same treatment in the
> WCC no matter which side of the world we play at.

> Btw, for real punch-ups watch US Ice Hockey, some pretty awesome fighting.
> At the end the refs just decide who started it and sin bin em... in the
> meantime the media are showing re-runs to decide who did start it (and
> along the way admiring the technique shown by the adversaries). Mind u with
> the padding those guys wear... :))

People come to watch a fair contest.With the popularity of RL not it's
best, making a side play with 12 men (especially the big matches)isn't
what I personally like to see.I'm sure I speak for quite a few.
Tallis is a bad bastard, we know it,O'Connor didn't I guess.But we don't
hear what is said between players and IMO Tallis was pushed into the
fight.
Henry
 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 07:06:19 +0800, Henry F Francis

Quote:

>People come to watch a fair contest.With the popularity of RL not it's
>best, making a side play with 12 men (especially the big matches)isn't
>what I personally like to see.I'm sure I speak for quite a few.
>Tallis is a bad bastard, we know it,O'Connor didn't I guess.But we don't
>hear what is said between players and IMO Tallis was pushed into the
>fight.

People come to watch a fair contest where both teams are playing to the
same rules, and thugs get punished. If a team are cheating by unfairly
trying to injure the opposition, they do not deserve to play with the
full team.

Face it, Tallis can't fight and is a wimp. Any decent player shouldbe
able to put someone down with 5 clear blows to the head. As for being
pushed into the figh you are talking utter bollocks. Pushed into the
fight is when another player is just hitting you and the ref does sod
all. The phrase involving sticks and stones springs to mind.

Paul Matthews
http://www.triton.u-net.com

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Henry F Franci » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 07:06:19 +0800, Henry F Francis

> >People come to watch a fair contest.With the popularity of RL not it's
> >best, making a side play with 12 men (especially the big matches)isn't
> >what I personally like to see.I'm sure I speak for quite a few.
> >Tallis is a bad bastard, we know it,O'Connor didn't I guess.But we don't
> >hear what is said between players and IMO Tallis was pushed into the
> >fight.
> People come to watch a fair contest where both teams are playing to the
> same rules,

There was no need for O'Connor to mouth and shove Tallis.And I say again
it was not the first time in that game.He could not get the better of
Tallis in play so he tried to mix it.
O'Connor was ready for another go in the Canberra game.He's just an
angry loser.Every one elses fault is it?.

 and thugs get punished. If a team are cheating by unfairly

Quote:
> trying to injure the opposition, they do not deserve to play with the
> full team.

O'Connor started the trouble,lets not forget that. It took a few
attempts but he finally got it going.How it ended up is a different
thing.

Quote:
> Face it, Tallis can't fight and is a wimp.

You stand toe to toe with him and tell him that,O'Connor has about 10-15
kilos on Tallis and thought that was enough to intimidate him.

 Any decent player shouldbe

Quote:
> able to put someone down with 5 clear blows to the head. As for being
> pushed into the figh you are talking utter bollocks. Pushed into the
> fight is when another player is just hitting you and the ref does sod
> all. The phrase involving sticks and stones springs to mind.

Sicks and stones works fine until you call someone a black bastard or a
***, then(down here anyway)you are in trouble.
We'll never know what was said because he(Tallis)sorts his own troubles.
Quote:
> Paul Matthews
> http://SportToday.org/


 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by WiganRLf » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>There was no need for O'Connor to mouth and shove Tallis.And I say again
>it was not the first time in that game.He could not get the better of
>Tallis in play so he tried to mix it.

What a load of rubbish.  O'Connor pushed Tallis because Tallis was messing
about at the PTB.  Just as do most of the Aussie SL players.  Players
shove players at the PTB all the time and don't get thumped.

Messing about at the PTB seems part and parcel of Aussie SL whereas in GB
they have tried to stamp it out.

If you mess about at the PTB you should expect to get shoved away.

Reacting to that by grabbing hold of the oponent and attacking him as
Tallis did is to put it mildly, over reaction.

Quote:
>O'Connor started the trouble,lets not forget that. It took a few
>attempts but he finally got it going.How it ended up is a different
>thing.

Did he heck.  He pushed Tallis out of the way as he was ritght to do and
Tallis went potty.  

Pehaps if the refs insisted on clean PTB then there would not be any
*trouble* in the first place.

Dave

Wigan RLFC - Simply THE Best.

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Paul Matthe » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:33:54 +0800, Henry F Francis

Quote:

>O'Connor started the trouble,lets not forget that. It took a few
>attempts but he finally got it going.How it ended up is a different
>thing.

So you will also say that Smith had been mouthing off a Tallis before
that ludicrous high tackle?

Quote:
>> Face it, Tallis can't fight and is a wimp.

>You stand toe to toe with him and tell him that,O'Connor has about 10-15
>kilos on Tallis and thought that was enough to intimidate him.

So what size is Tallis? I would tell him actually (17 stone ex second
rower in me speaking here)

Quote:
>Sicks and stones works fine until you call someone a black bastard or a
>***, then(down here anyway)you are in trouble.

But on the pitch you should shrug off insults and show that you are
better than the other guy. That's what I did whenever anyone tried the
verbals on me. Except for once. I was playing against a Prison team and
their prop was going on about how much fitter he was than me. I simply
pointed out that I had a date that night, with a Girl - what was he
doing. He shout up.

I particularly enjoyed the verbals on the occasions I was playing on the
wing. I dumped many a winger in the turds on the open field we used as a
pitch.

Paul Matthews
http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Paul Matthe » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>Reacting to that by grabbing hold of the oponent and attacking him as
>Tallis did is to put it mildly, over reaction.

Those are the same words Henry used, while at the same time saying it was
justified. Methinks the man does not know english too well.

Paul Matthews
http://www.triton.u-net.com

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Henry F Franci » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> >Reacting to that by grabbing hold of the oponent and attacking him as
> >Tallis did is to put it mildly, over reaction.

> Those are the same words Henry used, while at the same time saying it was
> justified. Methinks the man does not know english too well.

> Paul Matthews
> http://www.triton.u-net.com


We must be A grade academics to know right from wrong aye?Methinks not.
How does it go?
You must be smart enough to know the game.
And dumb enough to think it important.
Henry:)
 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Larry Halpi » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>  Any decent player shouldbe
> > able to put someone down with 5 clear blows to the head.

You've obviously neverdone any serious street-fighting. Firstly you
NEVER hit anybody in the head, you're more likely to hurt your***than
their head, unless you get their nose - but tht won't put them down.
Usually for somebody to be put down after a blow/blows to the head -
thet were king-hit or they were pushed or pulled at the same time.
Incidentally, Tallis was the first to agree that he can't fight!! (But
watch out for Mundine)
Any way what is everybody crapping on about this incident for.
It all seems a bit like sour grapes to me just because the Brit sides
have got left 30 years behind.
It was interesting to read what one of the top OX SL coaches was saying
today
"***Y NIGGLY LOT, THE ENGLISH
"Thank heavens the English clubs have gone home.  In 3 weeks I have had
10 players go to the *** bin with head wounds .....I'm talking ***
x-rays, stitches, busted lips & noses.  I've had more *** bins in the
last 3 weeks than in the first 12 rounds of competition.  That's not all
I've had a player bitten, another with his *** pulled, an
Englishman carrying the ball popped a tackler with his elbow.
.....In Australia we don't have that "niggle".  So when a player has his
*** pulled, he hasn't been disciplined to simply shruf it off &
wait arounf for his turn to come.  And nor should he."

I think it's fair to say there will always be fights on the field &
there will probably never be one where anybody gets seriously hurt.  So
why, for ***'s sake can't we discuss something serious & important like
the disastrous state of English RL & why the hell have you got so many
***foreign players there and what the hell are you going to do when SL
& ARL merge & you get this huge influx of reasonable OZ players who
won't be quite good enough to get a place in the reduced league here but
who will all be able to walk into ANY English side.  What's that going
to do to the development of the game in England?
--
Best Regards
Larry Halpin

 
 
 

The Tallis incident

Post by Mr P Halliwel » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> .....In Australia we don't have that "niggle".  So when a player has his
> *** pulled, he hasn't been disciplined to simply shruf it off &
> wait arounf for his turn to come.  And nor should he."

Some men pay good money for that sort of service.
And we English give it for free, Kind arn't we !

The Aussies must have liked it because they lined up and took it in turns.

Funny lot you whinging Aussies...

--

http://SportToday.org/;|\_/^~^~^~^\_/|
Wigan Warriors RLFC                        \__|\0\ /0/|__/
But still Wigan RLFC to me                    \   I   /
                                               \ -=- /
                                                ^^^^^