Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Chalk » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to 12:00
from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.  I
was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't you
realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place on
a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their parents
to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.  I know for a
fact that at the club I coach at, Wibsey Juniors RL, over 100 boys will be
playing that morning and most of them, their parents, coaches and family
will not be able to get there for kick-off.  You say you are the people
teams but what about the kids don't they count?

Also what thought went to the travelling supporter?  I know Workington won't
be bringing a large contingent of supporters but those who are coming will
have to be setting off at the crack of dawn to get here.

I would like to see the Leeds/Wigan game but like many people I have a VCR
so could watch the game later in the day.  It now looks like it will be the
only game that I, and everyone else involved in Junior sport, will watch
"live" that day because we won't be able to get to the Bulls game.

Ian Walker

PS

Two of the Wibsey Juniors players are ball boys. You may have to get some
replacements for the game!

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Ian Linne » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
> Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to
12:00
> from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.
I
> was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

> I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
> Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
> game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't
you
> realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place
on
> a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their
parents
> to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.  I know for
a
> fact that at the club I coach at, Wibsey Juniors RL, over 100 boys will
be
> playing that morning and most of them, their parents, coaches and family
> will not be able to get there for kick-off.  You say you are the people
> teams but what about the kids don't they count?

> Also what thought went to the travelling supporter?  I know Workington
won't
> be bringing a large contingent of supporters but those who are coming
will
> have to be setting off at the crack of dawn to get here.

> I would like to see the Leeds/Wigan game but like many people I have a
VCR
> so could watch the game later in the day.  It now looks like it will be
the
> only game that I, and everyone else involved in Junior sport, will watch
> "live" that day because we won't be able to get to the Bulls game.

> Ian Walker

> PS

> Two of the Wibsey Juniors players are ball boys. You may have to get some
> replacements for the game!

Well said, Ian  a big mistake by the Bulls.

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Cougarfa » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
> Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to 12:00
> from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.  I
> was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

> I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
> Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
> game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't you
> realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place on
> a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their parents
> to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.  I know for a
> fact that at the club I coach at, Wibsey Juniors RL, over 100 boys will be
> playing that morning and most of them, their parents, coaches and family
> will not be able to get there for kick-off.  You say you are the people
> teams but what about the kids don't they count?

> Also what thought went to the travelling supporter?  I know Workington won't
> be bringing a large contingent of supporters but those who are coming will
> have to be setting off at the crack of dawn to get here.

> I would like to see the Leeds/Wigan game but like many people I have a VCR
> so could watch the game later in the day.  It now looks like it will be the
> only game that I, and everyone else involved in Junior sport, will watch
> "live" that day because we won't be able to get to the Bulls game.

> Ian Walker

> PS

> Two of the Wibsey Juniors players are ball boys. You may have to get some
> replacements for the game!

I could not agree more with the sentiments expressed. Why has television got
anything to do with it?. Surely the Bulls are a "big team" that they do not
need to compete with T.V.
Keith- Cougarfan
" If you can't play it live, don't record it!"

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own    

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Neil Barracloug » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:


>> Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to 12:00
>> from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.  I
>> was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

>> I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
>> Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
>> game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't you
>> realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place on
>> a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their parents
>> to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.  I know for a
>> fact that at the club I coach at, Wibsey Juniors RL, over 100 boys will be
>> playing that morning and most of them, their parents, coaches and family
>> will not be able to get there for kick-off.  You say you are the people
>> teams but what about the kids don't they count?

>> Also what thought went to the travelling supporter?  I know Workington won't
>> be bringing a large contingent of supporters but those who are coming will
>> have to be setting off at the crack of dawn to get here.

>> I would like to see the Leeds/Wigan game but like many people I have a VCR
>> so could watch the game later in the day.  It now looks like it will be the
>> only game that I, and everyone else involved in Junior sport, will watch
>> "live" that day because we won't be able to get to the Bulls game.

>> Ian Walker

>> PS

>> Two of the Wibsey Juniors players are ball boys. You may have to get some
>> replacements for the game!

>I could not agree more with the sentiments expressed. Why has television got
>anything to do with it?. Surely the Bulls are a "big team" that they do not
>need to compete with T.V.

All the Bradford fans want to see two good sides instead of what they
have to put up with at Odsal week after week.  >:->

Sorry about that, couldn't resist, especially with Stuart Duffy stating
how they had had lots of requests from Bulls 'fans' to move the game
forward so they could see the Leeds-Wigan game.

On a more serious note however, it does seem a bit daft to cancel out an
awful lot of the children who go to watch Bradford by moving the game
forward to 12.00 when people are still playing junior sports.  After
all, a large section of the Bulls crowd comes from children (that's not
a sly dig at Bradford John, just fact) and to effectively cancel a lot
of these out doesn't seem to make a right lot of sense.  Mind you, what
can you do when so many of the 'Bullites' obviously want to watch a
decent team.  ;-)

Quote:
>Keith- Cougarfan

Neil 'The Real Deal' B.

'There's none more blind
 than them that won't listen' - Del Boy,
                                Only Fools and Horses

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by John Drak » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to 12:00
>from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.  I
>was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

>I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
>Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
>game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't you
>realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place
on
>a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their parents
>to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.

I have to confess, I thought the kick off switch was a good idea, until I
read this. Not having any involvement in junior sport myself, it didn't dawn
on me that so many people would be inconvenienced. I just thought the club
were doing people a favour by allowing them to see the Bulls game, and get
home to see the TV game too. Very short-sighted of me I now realise.

Sometimes good intentions don't always work out how you expected them to :-(

Whatever they did, their gate would inevitably be affected by the live TV
game. With the noon kick off, a sizeable number of junior fans can't go, and
with the originally scheduled 3pm kick off, many people would have opted to
sit at home in front of the fire watching the two Grand Finalists from last
season slug it out, rather than freeze to death (if it's like last weekend!)
watching the Bulls against a team from the First Division. That's no
disrespect to Workington, as I'd be at the game if it were being played at
midnight, but it's naive to pretend that many fans don't make such choices.

Other clubs playing that afternoon are also likely to suffer a dip in
support. Ain't it typical...we've argued for years that RL should get more
coverage on the telly, and when it does, it causes problems of its own.

I should point out I'm speaking on my own behalf above, not as official
Bulls website person. But given that I would've done what the club did re:
the kick off though, it's probably a good job I'm only responsible for their
website, and nothing else, otherwise I'd be in the firing line too :-o

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
http://greatestgame.simplenet.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradford Bulls Online - The Official Website
http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove "nospam" from e-mail address to reply

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Pheidippide » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm the same as John, I thought it was a good idea until I saw the posting
on 'junior' sports. Of course originally there wouldn't have been any
problem as the game was scheduled to be played on Saturday. It was
rescheduled, not because of TV, but because Leeds United are playing at home
that day!
As to the point about VCR, I agree, thats what I'd have done. However, some
people like to watch the draw live which would mean finding out the result
of Leeds v Wigan before you watch the game.
 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by Lloyd Barkha » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Just found out that the Bulls have changed the Kick-off on Sunday to 12:00
>from 15:00 so that supporters can go home and watch the Leed/Wigan Game.
>I was so pissed off I had to E-mail them. See below.

I think it's great to know that the Bulls management think that they have so
many closet Leeds fans that they have to change the ko to accommodate them.
:-D

Lloyd

Quote:
>I have just found out that you have now changed the kick-off time of the
>Workington game to 12:00 so that fans will be able to see the Leeds/Wigan
>game on TV.  How much thought went into this? About 3 seconds.  Haven't you
>realised that most junior sport - Rugby League, Soccer and RU takes place
on
>a Sunday morning.  How on earth do you expect these kids and their parents
>to get to the game when most of these kick-off around 11:00.  I know for a
>fact that at the club I coach at, Wibsey Juniors RL, over 100 boys will be
>playing that morning and most of them, their parents, coaches and family
>will not be able to get there for kick-off.  You say you are the people
>teams but what about the kids don't they count?

>Also what thought went to the travelling supporter?  I know Workington
won't
>be bringing a large contingent of supporters but those who are coming will
>have to be setting off at the crack of dawn to get here.

>I would like to see the Leeds/Wigan game but like many people I have a VCR
>so could watch the game later in the day.  It now looks like it will be the
>only game that I, and everyone else involved in Junior sport, will watch
>"live" that day because we won't be able to get to the Bulls game.

>Ian Walker

>PS

>Two of the Wibsey Juniors players are ball boys. You may have to get some
>replacements for the game!

 
 
 

Bulls v Workington - Kick-off Change

Post by John Drak » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I think it's great to know that the Bulls management think that they have
so
>many closet Leeds fans that they have to change the ko to accommodate them.
>:-D

Not really, Lloyd. We just want to get home in time to see the end of your
Cup run ;-)

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
http://greatestgame.simplenet.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradford Bulls Online - The Official Website
http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove "nospam" from e-mail address to reply