SKY LIVE

SKY LIVE

Post by Graha » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement with SKY that all
clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
Within the first six weeks of the season Wigan are on no less than 4 times
mainly on a Friday night. We have to wait approx 7 weeks before the likes
of Salford Reds are shown.Yes it is nice to be shown on national T.V  but
it is great to kick off at 3-00 on a Sunday, so come on, lets show the rest
of the country that their are more teams than Saints, Wigan & the Bulls.
--
Graham
(The Mighty Wigan)

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by J.B. F » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement
with SKY that all
>clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
>Within the first six weeks of the season Wigan are on no
less than 4 times
>mainly on a Friday night. We have to wait approx 7 weeks
before the likes
>of Salford Reds are shown.Yes it is nice to be shown on
national T.V  but
>it is great to kick off at 3-00 on a Sunday, so come on,
lets show the rest
>of the country that their are more teams than Saints,

Wigan & the Bulls.

Oh I don't know I'm quite happy to watch the bulls week in
week out.
:-)

============================================
 Life is Like a Bath...........
 ............the longer you stay in the more
 wrinkled you get.
 -------------------------------------------
  Jon of the Croft
  Lawyers Anon.
  The only thing wrong with plagiarism is
  that people have done it before.
============================================

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00



: >of the country that their are more teams than Saints,
: Wigan & the Bulls.

: Oh I don't know I'm quite happy to watch the bulls week in
: week out.
: :-)

Especially since it ain't so long since Bradford were in the same boat.

--
Chris Russell                       | Unofficial Rugby League Home Page:
Electronic Imaging Unit             |
University of Bradford              | ...is looking for a new home. Can  

TEL: +44 1274 385463                | on their web server please? 500+ hits
FAX: +44 1274 687834                | per day approx...

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Mr P Halliwel » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
> Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement with SKY that all
> clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
> Within the first six weeks of the season Wigan are on no less than 4 times
> mainly on a Friday night. We have to wait approx 7 weeks before the likes
> of Salford Reds are shown.Yes it is nice to be shown on national T.V  but
> it is great to kick off at 3-00 on a Sunday, so come on, lets show the rest
> of the country that their are more teams than Saints, Wigan & the Bulls.
> --
> Graham
> (The Mighty Wigan)

Have you seen the schedule ?
In the 1st six weeks  here are the times teams are on:-
Bradford   2
Warrington 2
London     2
St Helens  2
Castleford 3
Wigan      4
Leeds      2
Sheffiled  2
Oldham     1
Paris      2

New the reds have only just been promoted and thier 1st match is against Wigan.
And what about the teams that finnished low in last seasons tables getting good
air time >  Ie Leeds, Oldham, Paris, Castleford and London.  

SKY are not just picking the top teams.  But they do want to get the
biggest audiances
to sell the advertisment time to their sponsors.  And of you look at
the rest of the
published list that goes upto 1st June 1997  you'll see that it
starts to even out.
Over the season it will be fair.

But if you want to see the Reds there is no substitute to actually
going to the ground
and paying your money.
--
Ph!l  Halliwell    |    |
Wigan RLFC Fan.    |    |       0
                   |----|      -|\
                   |    |     O/|

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by John Charnoc » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Quote:


>> Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement with SKY that all
>> clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
>> Within the first six weeks of the season Wigan are on no less than 4 times
>> mainly on a Friday night. We have to wait approx 7 weeks before the likes
>> of Salford Reds are shown.
......
>In the 1st six weeks  here are the times teams are on:-
>Bradford   2
>Warrington 2
>London     2
>St Helens  2
>Castleford 3
>Wigan      4
>Leeds      2
>Sheffield  2
>Oldham     1
>Paris      2

>Now the reds have only just been promoted and their 1st match is against Wigan.

.....
Do you mean the first televised Salford match is against Wigan? I thought their
first match was against Castleford (or was it Sheffield - these Yorkshire teams
are all the same to me).

Quote:
>But if you want to see the Reds there is no substitute to actually
>going to the ground and paying your money.

I'll be there every 3-o-clock kick off (unless Lancashire are playing at
Old Trafford - ***y summer rugby!). Evening games are more problematic
for travelling to, so I'll just have to go the the pub. and watch them on
the TV.

John Charnock

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Andrew Mark Low » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        The press and TV have reported this morning that Wasps and Wigan
are to share players and also that Wasps have bought a small share in
Wigan, and they can keep Tuigamala till at least March. the 2 clubs will
buy players collectively, some to play for Wigan, some for Wasps. This
deal involves a lot more than just sharing players!!
                Mark (a concerned Wigan fan!!)

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by John Hull » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

You're dead right to be concerned, assuming this is true. ( Not that Union
would ever put out an untruth, of course . . . ). What could Wigan possibly
gain from such an arrangement?

Isn't it about time the Wigan fans let the Wigan board know just what the
fans think about any deals  - real or imagined - with Wasps or any other
Union club ?

John



Quote:

>    The press and TV have reported this morning that Wasps and Wigan
> are to share players and also that Wasps have bought a small share in
> Wigan, and they can keep Tuigamala till at least March. the 2 clubs will
> buy players collectively, some to play for Wigan, some for Wasps. This
> deal involves a lot more than just sharing players!!
>            Mark (a concerned Wigan fan!!)

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Fine Bo » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement with SKY that all
> clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
> Within the first six weeks of the season Wigan are on no less than 4 times
> mainly on a Friday night. We have to wait approx 7 weeks before the likes
> of Salford Reds are shown.Yes it is nice to be shown on national T.V  but
> it is great to kick off at 3-00 on a Sunday, so come on, lets show the rest
> of the country that their are more teams than Saints, Wigan & the Bulls.
> --
> Graham
> (The Mighty Wigan)

--
It was never an agreement -  just a plea from the WIgan board.

You may find that having your team on TV every week is not as good as
it may seem at first.  The choice between an afternoon in the pub
or paying 7 quid to stand up at the ground becomes quite a tough
one to a lot of people (myself included).  You may find the Reds
need all the income from gate receipts they can get.

Mike

----------------------------------------------------
Webmaster:

        Wigan RL Supporters' Home Pages
 http://www.activated-carbon.com/wigan/wigan.html

             P.T.S. WWW Authoring
   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rogersm/pts/pts.html

-----------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Fine Bo » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> You're dead right to be concerned, assuming this is true. ( Not that Union
> would ever put out an untruth, of course . . . ). What could Wigan possibly
> gain from such an arrangement?

> Isn't it about time the Wigan fans let the Wigan board know just what the
> fans think about any deals  - real or imagined - with Wasps or any other
> Union club ?

> John



> >       The press and TV have reported this morning that Wasps and Wigan
> > are to share players and also that Wasps have bought a small share in
> > Wigan, and they can keep Tuigamala till at least March. the 2 clubs will
> > buy players collectively, some to play for Wigan, some for Wasps. This
> > deal involves a lot more than just sharing players!!
> >               Mark (a concerned Wigan fan!!)

What's the problem here?  Wigan get more players.  Wigan get some of
Wasps players
to strengthen our small squad during the summer (when injuries begin to
mount up).

In exchange we do the same for them.  Seems OK to me.
BTW Tuigamala will be availble for every WIgan match in the New Year,
including
the Winter Challenge against Saints.  That was the last word from the
Wigan board

Mike

-

----------------------------------------------------
Webmaster:

        Wigan RL Supporters' Home Pages
 http://www.activated-carbon.com/wigan/wigan.html

             P.T.S. WWW Authoring
   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rogersm/pts/pts.html

-----------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by John Hull » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

> > You're dead right to be concerned, assuming this is true. ( Not that
Union
> > would ever put out an untruth, of course . . . ). What could Wigan
possibly
> > gain from such an arrangement?

> > Isn't it about time the Wigan fans let the Wigan board know just what
the
> > fans think about any deals  - real or imagined - with Wasps or any
other
> > Union club ?

> > John
> What's the problem here?  Wigan get more players.  Wigan get some of
> Wasps players
> to strengthen our small squad during the summer (when injuries begin to
> mount up).

Wasps players to strengthen Wigan?  Which particular Wasps player do you
have in mind? And they'll just slot into a match against an Ossie League
side straight from rah-rah, will they? Perhaps your players would stand
less risk of injury if they weren't playing 12 months a year. And who gets
first choice when it's international time? Does Farrell play for Great
Britain or for Wasps next November?

This is just a desperate attempt by Robinson to cover up his mismanagement.
The Wigan fans should be raging about this.

Quote:

> In exchange we do the same for them.  Seems OK to me.
> BTW Tuigamala will be availble for every WIgan match in the New Year,
> including
> the Winter Challenge against Saints.  That was the last word from the
> Wigan board

So the press are lying when they say he's going to play for Wasps at least
until March 2nd.
How happy the sponsors of the Challenge Cup will be to find Wigan taking
the competition so seriously!

John

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Graha » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I wonder if this player sharing would work both ways. Would Wigan be
allowed to play the likes of Dallaglio if Wasps had a game that conflicted
with Wigan.
        Also if this merger does go through, will we be re-named the Wigan Wasps
therfore will we change the new Warriors style shirt for something totally
different, before we have even played in it.

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by Adam Wilkinso » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> What's the problem here?  Wigan get more players.  Wigan get some of
> Wasps players
> to strengthen our small squad during the summer (when injuries begin to
> mount up).

<snip>

Quote:
> Mike

> -

Let's face it, Wigan will need most of those Wasps players as the extra
strain put upon the Wigan players by playing back to back rugby takes
effect.  But seriously, are there any Wasps players that could catch on
to the game fast enough for them to be of any use to Wigan?  It took
Tuigamala and Quinell quite a while to get going, so why should it be any
different for other RU players?  

Wasps get far more out of this deal than Wigan do.  In fact, I think
Wigan probably lose out in this deal as far as the affect this will have
on their players.  Could money be an issue here?

Adam.

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by John Charnoc » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


>> Whatever happened to Jack Robinsons so-called agreement with SKY that all
>> clubs would have equal showing on T.V.
>You may find that having your team on TV every week is not as good as
>it may seem at first.  The choice between an afternoon in the pub
>or paying 7 quid to stand up at the ground becomes quite a tough
>one to a lot of people (myself included).  You may find the Reds
>need all the income from gate receipts they can get.

Given the choice between watching in the pub and going to the ground
I would go to the ground every time (then go to the pub). I don't
think however that gate receipts are going to be that important in
the future. A higher proportion of money is coming now from television
and sponsorship. Don't forget that the more you are on the box the more
you can charge for advertising at the ground and for sponsorship. It is
already the case at Premier League Association Football that a major
reason for getting a crowd is simply to provide atmosphere - other
sources of revenue are much more important. I personally don't want
to see Salford on the box every week, but I don't want Wigan on all the
time either. For most of the season each team should be shown the same
number of times, concentrating on the top teams only towards the end,
when the championship is decided.

John Charnock

 
 
 

SKY LIVE

Post by John Hull » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
> Wasps get far more out of this deal than Wigan do.  In fact, I think
> Wigan probably lose out in this deal as far as the affect this will have
> on their players.  Could money be an issue here?

Wigan are flat broke, in fact worse than flat broke: possibly because
Lindsay left them with a budget that depended on a Wembley trip every year
to pay it off. Meanwhile Robinson's just twisting and turning in order to
hang on; not for Wigan's good but for his own.