Bentley in Lions Squad

Bentley in Lions Squad

Post by Gary Roman » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00


I have just read that John Bentley has been selected for the English RU
squad during next months match against Australia. I wonder wether Halifax
have had any say in this?. Sounds like Bentley will be away from League for
good now.

Gaz

 
 
 

Bentley in Lions Squad

Post by Paul Dinsda » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I have just read that John Bentley has been selected for the English RU
> squad during next months match against Australia. I wonder wether Halifax
> have had any say in this?. Sounds like Bentley will be away from League for
> good now.

Looks that way.  Playing both codes at a professional level just ain't on.

When Super League was set up, that great guru 'Uncle Mo' Lindsay said that
a long close was necessary because players needed lots of time to recharge
their batteries.  What happens?  Many of the best players instantly
decamped on fat contracts to RU clubs, some for good, others to return in
enfeebled condition, needing the first few weeks of the season to
reacclimatise themselves.  Wigan suffered more than anybody, and serve the
***s right for being so greedy.

I hope that the clubs will stop players playing Union in the close season,
in their own best interests.

--
Paul Dinsdale


 
 
 

Bentley in Lions Squad

Post by Ian Diddam » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:



> > I have just read that John Bentley has been selected for the English RU
> > squad during next months match against Australia. I wonder wether Halifax
> > have had any say in this?. Sounds like Bentley will be away from League for
> > good now.

Didn't he have to sign a two year contract to show committment before he
left for the British Lions tour??  When he was first ommitted from the
Englan RU squad to Australia, I at first assumed that it was because of
RL committments, but his later inclusion suggests either that Jack
Rowell is a senile old pillock that didn't know anything about Bentley,
or that negotiations were made behind the scenes.  Or probably both.

Quote:
> Looks that way.  Playing both codes at a professional level just ain't on.
> When Super League was set up, that great guru 'Uncle Mo' Lindsay said that
> a long close was necessary because players needed lots of time to recharge
> their batteries.  What happens?  Many of the best players instantly
> decamped on fat contracts to RU clubs, some for good, others to return in
> enfeebled condition, needing the first few weeks of the season to
> reacclimatise themselves.  Wigan suffered more than anybody, and serve the
> ***s right for being so greedy.

Well, with a couple of exceptions (Bentley amongst them) the RL boys
that played RU last winter on the whole probably didn't adjust too
well.  Certainly those that appeared to do best were original RU
converts to RL; probably only Connelly really "converted" that
successfully (and no, this isn't an anti-RL flame!!).  In many cases
these RL signings were on big bunce, and it is questioned - amongst club
supporters if not higher - whether at the end of the day the clubs
really got their monies worth.  Wasps were suitably miffed when after
unsuccessfully trying to coerce Tuigamala back to RU permanently, he
later signed for Newcastle!

As a result, it may be that future off-season RL signings may be far
fewer as the realities of a professional sport sink in to not a few RU
clubs; certainly I think, the salaries on offer will probably be far
lower than they were last year, which may in turn lessen the number of
lads looking for a bit of off-season moonlighting.

Quote:
> I hope that the clubs will stop players playing Union in the close season,
> in their own best interests.

Well, I think its in everybody's interests to be frank..  the RL clubs,
so the players do rest, the RU clubs because they'll have better squad
continuity (nobody leaving half-way through the season), and the players
because they won't be totally drained.

However; I believe the situation won't go away.  I can see that those
towards the end of the careers may use the chance to build up a nest egg
while they can, whilst youngsters may do it to get a start in life, and
for the experience.  certainly a little lower down the ladder I can see
twelve month proffessionals, players that play for a "lower" RL club,
and a 4th division RU side...

-
Didds.