Oldham

Oldham

Post by Geff Fost » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00


Here we go again, Oldham drubbed 50 odd points to nil.

Absolute and utter crap!

Andy Goodway - GB assistant coach?

It's a good job we aren't playing the Aussies this year.

Results like these are a joke, what have Bradford gained out of this -
NOTHING.

They may as well have turned out against Thatto Heath.

I know the Bears have got injury problems but there is NO EXCUSE for
any fully professional side to get a beating like this.

Bad coaching, nothing more, nothing less.

Geff

-------------------------------------------------
Geff Foster              |"The Zone

St. Helens, Merseyside   | of it's own"
-------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by John Lancast » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>>Here we go again, Oldham drubbed 50 odd points to nil.

>>Absolute and utter crap!

>>Andy Goodway - GB assistant coach?

Did you see him on TV with Eddie and Stevo. His articulate comments on
the game reminded me of someone. Me, after 12 pints !!

John Lancaster
St Helens, UK

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by Gordon Baxte » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Here we go again, Oldham drubbed 50 odd points to nil.

>They may as well have turned out against Thatto Heath.

>I know the Bears have got injury problems but there is NO EXCUSE for
>any fully professional side to get a beating like this.

>Bad coaching, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think that's actually a fair criticism.  Before I go on I should point
out that I'm not an Bears fan (they're from the wrong side of the Pennines).

I was at the Bears v Saints game the other week, and Oldham took what seemed
like a thrashing if you just look at the scoreline.  The only thing was they
actually played well for about 60 minutes, and on balance of play should have
been ahead.  In the last 20 minutes, however, they just folded, and Saints ran
in 6 tries.

The Bears made a couple of crucial handling errors which cost them a couple of
tries in the first half.  This, coupled with the fact that they lost one of
their best players early on, didn't help.  They also suffer from a lack of real
pace on the wings.

Lack of fitness is maybe a problem, which was why they suffered in the last 20.
But I don't think bad coaching is fair.  Look at Paris, who've had a few good
hidings this season.  Would you level the same criticism of their coaching
staff?

And what would you say about the coaching staff of Saints in light of the
result at Odsal?

Gordon.

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by Paul McNall » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00


net.com> writes

Quote:
>Here we go again, Oldham drubbed 50 odd points to nil.

>Absolute and utter crap!

>Andy Goodway - GB assistant coach?

I'm quite looking forward to Salford playing 'em next season.... I think
everybody in Salford thinks we owe Jim Quinn and his boys one...or
forty!

Paul
        ww
    |\---/ >

     \____/      --------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by Paul McNall » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>Did you see him on TV with Eddie and Stevo. His articulate comments on
>the game reminded me of someone. Me, after 12 pints !!

Hopefully you're ears are a more pleasing shape John!

Paul
        ww
    |\---/ >

     \____/      --------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by Simon Estil » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>  Geff Foster writes
> >Here we go again, Oldham drubbed 50 odd points to nil.

When was the last time Oldham were nilled?  OK, we've lost heavily to
the top three this season, but so have most other clubs.

Quote:
>Andy Goodway - GB assistant coach?

Who else is there?  Goodway has done a good job with limited resources.
Against Bradford he only had 17 players fit and half of those had to
play on Thursday in the Alliance game to make up the numbers.  He admits
he needs to strengthen his squad but he's on a tight budget.  Unlike
most other clubs Oldham realised five years ago they had to get their
house in order financially and that will take time.

Quote:
Paul McNally writes:
> I'm quite looking forward to Salford playing 'em next season.... I >
>thinkeverybody in Salford thinks we owe Jim Quinn and his boys >
>one...or forty!

Typical manc comment.  If you can't get your own way you want to change
the rules.  Do you think Ssalford should have been in SL because they're
near Manchester.  I thought it was a sport.
Oldham got in Super League because of their league position at the end
of the centenary season.  Salford got in thew first division because of
theirs.  

  If you think Salford are going top be anything other than next seasons
*** boys, think again.

  We've "doubled" a lot of clubs this season like Cas, Fax, Leeds.
OK they're only Yorkshire clubs but I can't see Salford doing it.

   Super League is going the way of the FA Premiership. Teams who come
up will go straight back down.

Andy Scholes
-----------------------------------
Oldham Bears - hardest mascot in SL

 
 
 

Oldham

Post by Paul McNall » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>> I'm quite looking forward to Salford playing 'em next season.... I >
>>thinkeverybody in Salford thinks we owe Jim Quinn and his boys >
>>one...or forty!
>Typical manc comment.  If you can't get your own way you want to change
>the rules.  Do you think Ssalford should have been in SL because they're
>near Manchester.  I thought it was a sport.
>Oldham got in Super League because of their league position at the end
>of the centenary season.  Salford got in thew first division because of
>theirs.  

>  If you think Salford are going top be anything other than next seasons
>*** boys, think again.

>  We've "doubled" a lot of clubs this season like Cas, Fax, Leeds.
>OK they're only Yorkshire clubs but I can't see Salford doing it.

>   Super League is going the way of the FA Premiership. Teams who come
>up will go straight back down.

*** me. An Oldham fan! Have you got electricity now?

Interesting Manchester comment. Wasn't it Quinn who said a coupl eof
months back he wanted to play games at Maine Road to attract a manc
audience?

And what rules are these that I/Salford wanted to change? Can't remember
any official comment from the club whinging. Think you'll find we were
one of the few who rolled up our sleeves to get on with it. And you've
certainly never heard me go on about how we should be in the Super
League ahead of the likes of London/ Paris/ South Wales cos I believe
they should be there.

You know as well I as do that that League position bollocks was
announced at the end of the season five weeks after everybody had been
told their would be no relegation. Had it been announced at the
beginning then you might have found a few teams playing right to the
end. Do you really believe Hull and Widnes would have been below you.

To be honest I'm glad we went down, we've had two years to build and
build and while we certainly ain't gonna win any Super League I have my
doubts that we will end up being "next season's *** boys".

Incidentally, I see you just scraped through today against this season's
"*** boys" Workington. Well done.

Do you remember when the merger was suggested? Do you remember Quinn's
terms for the merger? I'll remind you...

Team not to be called Manchester (good foresight) but to be called
Oldham-Salford (catchy eh?)

Andy Goodway as coach

Watersheddings as the ground (Don't make me piss)

Jim Quinn as chairman...

Ring any bells? Nice to see a bloke not talking bollocks.

How can you possibly say that SL is going the way of the Premiership
when nobody's gone up yet. Surely teams have been going back down for
years anyway and the whole ***y idea is to get teams coming up who can
compete?

Time will tell and as usual he who laughs last, laughs longest. I can
feel a bit of a long giggle building actually....

Paul
        ww
    |\---/ >

     \____/      --------------------------------------------