Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Rob Crosslan » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Although Rovers comfortably won on Saturday I have to say that there is
little point in introducing the amateur teams. Not so much for the point
scoring and run out for the "professional" side but more with the attitude
of the opposing players. Whereas Wath Brow in the previous game were a
credit to themselves and the amateur game, Leigh MRI were a very poor
advert (and I'm not using the words I should here). Once they had fallen
behind the tactic was obvious, try and seriously injure an opposing player
with ludricous head high "tackles" and dangerous play. The tactic (to  a
much lesser degree) if the score was close to try and "rattle" a team into
mistakes could be argued as valid, 30 points down then it is just pathetic
and dangerous. The finale was the Leigh MRI players making extremely rude
gesters to the crowd, intent on causing trouble.

So I have to say that Leigh MRI were extremely poor in their attitude and
went way beyond the "normal" tactics when facing a professional side.

--
Rob Crossland
It's my opinion not anyone elses

icq#22647649

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by John Drak » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
>Although Rovers comfortably won on Saturday I have to say that there is
>little point in introducing the amateur teams. Not so much for the point
>scoring and run out for the "professional" side but more with the attitude
>of the opposing players. Whereas Wath Brow in the previous game were a
>credit to themselves and the amateur game, Leigh MRI were a very poor
>advert (and I'm not using the words I should here).

You shouldn't tar all amateur teams with the same brush, just because of
what Leigh MRI got up to in that game. As you say, Wath Brow were a credit
to themselves and the amateur game, so why deny them the opportunity to play
in the Cup?

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
http://greatestgame.simplenet.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradford Bulls Online - The Official Website
http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove "nospam" from e-mail address to reply

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by David Parkinso » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

In reply to the messages here, I have to say that Norland did not do the
amateur game any credit with their showing at Hilton Park in round 3.

Generally over the last few years the amateur sides we have played have
competed well and rose to the occasion. Norland were an exception, not
wanting to try and play rugby at all.

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Phil Arundel » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have to agree with John here - Featherstone played Thornhill in the
previous round, and, although we put 70 points past them, the players and
their fans remained good humoured, and there was never any sign of the
players losing their bottle. To extend Robs argument could exclude 1st
division teams because they aren't going to win it! Thats not what the SCCC
is about, though - its about teams having the chance to chase the dream, and
play against the elite of the sport. If you excluded anyone who didn't have
a chance of winning the competition, it'd just be an extension of the SL!

Phil

Quote:



>>Although Rovers comfortably won on Saturday I have to say that there is
>>little point in introducing the amateur teams. Not so much for the point
>>scoring and run out for the "professional" side but more with the attitude
>>of the opposing players. Whereas Wath Brow in the previous game were a
>>credit to themselves and the amateur game, Leigh MRI were a very poor
>>advert (and I'm not using the words I should here).

>You shouldn't tar all amateur teams with the same brush, just because of
>what Leigh MRI got up to in that game. As you say, Wath Brow were a credit
>to themselves and the amateur game, so why deny them the opportunity to
play
>in the Cup?

>John
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
>http://greatestgame.simplenet.com
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Bradford Bulls Online - The Official Website
>http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Remove "nospam" from e-mail address to reply

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Martin Jone » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Rob,

I wouldn't expect a Hull KR side visiting Leigh to receive anything less.
Good on you Miners...

Martin

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Andy » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

and Oldham St Annes were the very model of sportsmanship despite being
conned out of a replay by the "lets make it up as we go along" RFL.........

Andy the Dragon

--
"as long as I have a face she'll always have a place to sit"

Quote:

>Rob,

>I wouldn't expect a Hull KR side visiting Leigh to receive anything less.
>Good on you Miners...

>Martin

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Rob Crosslan » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

And would you say the same if an extremely pissed off Rovers player had
half maimed one of their players?



Quote:

> Rob,

> I wouldn't expect a Hull KR side visiting Leigh to receive anything less.
> Good on you Miners...

> Martin

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by Martin Jone » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Reading the report in Rugby Leaguer, it looks as though Miners were not
properly protected  by the ref in the opening stages and therefore they took
the action into their own hands.
Seems like you have to be playing on BBC to get sent off for a high tackle.
When we played York a couple of weeks back, there were a couple of similar
ones which merely resulted in a penalty.


Quote:
>And would you say the same if an extremely pissed off Rovers player had
>half maimed one of their players?



>> Rob,

>> I wouldn't expect a Hull KR side visiting Leigh to receive anything less.
>> Good on you Miners...

>> Martin

 
 
 

Hull KR v Leigh MRI

Post by NJASHT » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Can these be the same so called Hull KR
fans who were so 'good tempered' after
their last defeat by Wakefield that they
flung waste bins onto the pitch.
'Those who live in glass houses shouldn't
cast the first stones'
Steve Ashton