I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by Mr.Wil » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:42:02


What a shame - I thought he was a great player at Wigan, although not so
much this season. Good signing for the RU guys, I think someone said "makes
more sense signing a youngster with potential than a 30 year old with a bad
back".

I do wonder though, was said young lad forced out of the game? I can't see
WHY anyone would bring Withers to Wigan when Ashton was playing in the form
he was in last season. Then again they did get shot of the blondie playing
for Hull, so perhaps it isnt just one time!
Do you think Ashton was forced into this by Noble wanting Withers in the
team?

Mr.Will

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by John Turne » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:15:55

"Mr.Will"  wrote

Quote:
> What a shame - I thought he was a great player at Wigan, although not so
> much this season.

Old news really, Ashton has been linked with Northampton for a good long
while and it has only been a question of 'when' the announcement would be
formally made.

I'm with you though - it's really sad to see a player of his potential lost
to Rugby League, but I suppose the 15-a-side game are only doing what we did
to them for many years before they became openly professional.

John.

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by Alf Kin » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:26:34

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:15:55 -0000, "John Turner"

Quote:

>"Mr.Will"  wrote

>> What a shame - I thought he was a great player at Wigan, although not so
>> much this season.

>Old news really, Ashton has been linked with Northampton for a good long
>while and it has only been a question of 'when' the announcement would be
>formally made.

>I'm with you though - it's really sad to see a player of his potential lost
>to Rugby League, but I suppose the 15-a-side game are only doing what we did
>to them for many years before they became openly professional.

>John.

As the adage goes "follow the money". If you were offered a massive
increase to move somewhere else but do a slightly different job would
you turn it down?

Maurice claims that they are hamstrung by the salary cap but that
doesn't seem to have prevented them from acquiring more superannuated
Aussies.

Alf King

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by Rusty Spoke » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:10:33

Wigan lost a far better player in Briscoe.
He looks better every time I he plays.
Good defence and positioning, brilliant support player straight out of the
Radlinski mould.

Ashton may be good in attack but his defence leaves a lot to desire and
possibly his attitude.

Nobby has brought Withers in as utility player, he has been outstanding over
the last several years for the Bulls but I am afraid his best is behind him.
I think he will retire at the end of this season.

RS

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by John Turne » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:54:48

"Alf King"  wrote

Quote:
> As the adage goes "follow the money". If you were offered a massive
> increase to move somewhere else but do a slightly different job would
> you turn it down?

I wouldn't turn it down, nor do I 'blame' Ashton for going to Union.  I just
think it's sad that players of his potential are being lost

Quote:
> Maurice claims that they are hamstrung by the salary cap but that
> doesn't seem to have prevented them from acquiring more superannuated
> Aussies.

Exactly!  It's about time that the NRL paid for its own pensioners.

John.

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by John Turne » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:55:31

"Rusty Spokes"  wrote

Quote:
> Nobby has brought Withers in as utility player, he has been outstanding
> over the last several years for the Bulls but I am afraid his best is
> behind him. I think he will retire at the end of this season.

Maybe Fielding will too!  ;-)

John.

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by Mr.Wil » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:39:04


Quote:

> "Mr.Will"  wrote

> > What a shame - I thought he was a great player at Wigan, although not so
> > much this season.

> Old news really, Ashton has been linked with Northampton for a good long
> while and it has only been a question of 'when' the announcement would be
> formally made.

I had heard the rumours, but I thought the deal had been done and dusted
now?
I still think its a great shame both he and Bricsoe have been let go, same
too with the likes of Hodgeson and the little chubby cheek guy at Salford!

Quote:
> I'm with you though - it's really sad to see a player of his potential
lost
> to Rugby League, but I suppose the 15-a-side game are only doing what we
did
> to them for many years before they became openly professional.

> John.

Of course, its a business decision, I just think its a really short sighted
move on Wigan's part not to try and keep him - bringing in Withers too spoke
volumes to me.

Mr.Will

 
 
 

I heard Chris Ashton "defected"

Post by Mr.Wil » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:39:40


Quote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:15:55 -0000, "John Turner"

> >"Mr.Will"  wrote

> >> What a shame - I thought he was a great player at Wigan, although not
so
> >> much this season.

> >Old news really, Ashton has been linked with Northampton for a good long
> >while and it has only been a question of 'when' the announcement would be
> >formally made.

> >I'm with you though - it's really sad to see a player of his potential
lost
> >to Rugby League, but I suppose the 15-a-side game are only doing what we
did
> >to them for many years before they became openly professional.

> >John.

> As the adage goes "follow the money". If you were offered a massive
> increase to move somewhere else but do a slightly different job would
> you turn it down?

> Maurice claims that they are hamstrung by the salary cap but that
> doesn't seem to have prevented them from acquiring more superannuated
> Aussies.

> Alf King

Thats the bit I cant understand, Noble brings Fielden - fair enough, but
Withers??? Sheesh.

Mr.Will