Martin Offiah & NBA

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by greg96.. » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00


Watching Channel 4 last night I nearly choked on my bottle of sass. Martin
Offiah plays NBA proclaims the TV set. Not bad going for a man crippled by
toe & hip injuries.
I hope that in his new career as a media icon Martin doesn't forget the
sport that made him a star. It would be nice to see him promoting RL in
London & the south-east, going to schools and introducing kids to the
greatest game (the sport not the fanzine) and becoming Martin Offiah Rugby
Ambassador to London helping to establish the game both on and off the
field.
However, is it more likely that as a professional sportsman he's just
wants to take the super league money and run (altough not as fast as he
used to).

Greg
-------

 
 
 

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by Andy Dawso » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>Watching Channel 4 last night I nearly choked on my bottle of sass. Martin
>Offiah plays NBA proclaims the TV set. Not bad going for a man crippled by
>toe & hip injuries.
>I hope that in his new career as a media icon Martin doesn't forget the
>sport that made him a star. It would be nice to see him promoting RL in
>London & the south-east, going to schools and introducing kids to the
>greatest game (the sport not the fanzine) and becoming Martin Offiah Rugby
>Ambassador to London helping to establish the game both on and off the
>field.
>However, is it more likely that as a professional sportsman he's just
>wants to take the super league money and run (altough not as fast as he
>used to).

>Greg
>-------

I seem to remember Offiah's good mate Ellery Hanley pulling a similar
stunt a few years back when he announced he was signing for an American
Football team.  It was all hype as his Wigan contract didn't permit him
to play other sports.  I thinks it's highly unlikely that Offiah will
have any room to manouvre between his Bedford RU and Broncos RL
contracts.  More to the point, does anybody think he will turn out for
the Broncos in the coming season?  If so, will he be any good?  A
Bedford supporting colleague reckons he's ahd an atrocious season for
them on the odd occasion he has turned out between "injuries"..

PS He NEVER ran as fast as he used to{:*)

--
Andy Dawson



 
 
 

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by Steve Morri » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


>>Watching Channel 4 last night I nearly choked on my bottle of sass. Martin
>>Offiah plays NBA proclaims the TV set. Not bad going for a man crippled by
>>toe & hip injuries.
>>I hope that in his new career as a media icon Martin doesn't forget the
>>sport that made him a star. It would be nice to see him promoting RL in
>>London & the south-east, going to schools and introducing kids to the
>>greatest game (the sport not the fanzine) and becoming Martin Offiah Rugby
>>Ambassador to London helping to establish the game both on and off the
>>field.
>>However, is it more likely that as a professional sportsman he's just
>>wants to take the super league money and run (altough not as fast as he
>>used to).

>>Greg
>>-------
>I seem to remember Offiah's good mate Ellery Hanley pulling a similar
>stunt a few years back when he announced he was signing for an American
>Football team.  It was all hype as his Wigan contract didn't permit him
>to play other sports.  I thinks it's highly unlikely that Offiah will
>have any room to manouvre between his Bedford RU and Broncos RL
>contracts.  More to the point, does anybody think he will turn out for
>the Broncos in the coming season?  If so, will he be any good?  A
>Bedford supporting colleague reckons he's ahd an atrocious season for
>them on the odd occasion he has turned out between "injuries"..

>PS He NEVER ran as fast as he used to{:*)

Reports say he is still not fully fit and hasn't been for a long while

if he isn't fully fit he will struggle to get into the Broncos starting
line up.

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by Andy Dawso » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00



(snipped in the interests of brevity)

Quote:

>Reports say he is still not fully fit and hasn't been for a long while

>if he isn't fully fit he will struggle to get into the Broncos starting
>line up.

In the 4 years he was at Wigan Offiah effectively had 1 decent season,
when he first arrived. He seemed to improve in all departments and,
running off Sean Edwards and Gene Miles, got a lot of quality ball and
scored some peach tries.  After that he  had a string of injuries, some
of which Wigan's  medical staff couldn't pin down. I'm not surprised
they let him go so easily.
Whilst his signing for the Broncos was an excellent publicity coup, his
performances on the field last season were IMO pretty poor.  As you say,
he will probably struggle this season.  I personally doubt he'll start
more than a couple of games.  I would love to be proved wrong as on form
he can be devastating.  
--
Andy Dawson - maker of brilliant Margaritas....Try this:  3 parts Tequila, 1
part triple sec (Cointreau, Curacao or any orange-flavoured liqueur), juice of 1
fresh lime, lots of crushed ice.  Serve in a chilled glass with the rim dipped
in salt.  It should be illegal for something this strong to taste this good {:*)

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see http://www.turnpike.com/

 
 
 

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by ovalb.. » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>In the 4 years he was at Wigan Offiah effectively had 1 decent season,
>when he first arrived. He seemed to improve in all departments and,
>running off Sean Edwards and Gene Miles,

Is this correct ? Gene Miles ? Maybe I am getting old.

Quote:
>Andy Dawson - maker of brilliant Margaritas....Try this:  3 parts
Tequila, 1
>part triple sec (Cointreau, Curacao or any orange-flavoured liqueur),
juice of 1
>fresh lime, lots of crushed ice.  Serve in a chilled glass with the rim
dipped
>in salt.  It should be illegal for something this strong to taste this

good {:*)

Childs Play. Try the Brave Bull !

3 Parts Tequila, Three Parts Kahlua ( Tia Maria will do) Over Ice in a
Whisky Glass
Add a Couple of Cherries and a Slice of Lemon.

_____________
.....Oval Ball.....
_____________

 
 
 

Martin Offiah & NBA

Post by Andy Dawso » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Is this correct ? Gene Miles ? Maybe I am getting old.

Fraid so - he spent most of the 91/2 season at Wigan and after a shaky
start was very impressive. If you can track down a video of Wigan's 71-
10 panning of Bradford in the Challenge Cup semi that year you'll see
what I mean.  
He had an amazing ability to stay upright whilst being tackled by 2-3
players and then pop the ball out into the hands of a certain oncoming
winger....  Unfortunately the board were so tight that they wouldn't
sign him the next season and signed Andrew Farrar instead, who was
probably even older and nowhere near as good.

--
Andy Dawson
Not generally known for being sober.
I'm about to pay for my connection with Demon so hopefully the following
message will go away:-(