Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Wigan/London And » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.

Classic example no. 299,999 came on Sunday during the Fax - Bradford  game
when Tuilangi scored his try.  Was I the only person who thought he grounded
the ball properly (I'm not talking about whether it was a forward pass or
not).  My TV showed me Tuilangi sliding in with the ball touching the ground
and him not moving his arm until the ball had touched the line, hence a
perfectly legitimate try.  Obviously the TV screen Beavis and Butthead were
watching showed something completely different from the absolute bollocks
they came out with.

On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

What these two know about rugby league you could write on a stamp and still
have enough room for the Queen's head.

Andy.

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Liverpool PieEate » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
>sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.

No, count me in as well.
Quote:

>Andy.


 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Yorkshrm » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
>sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.

...... makes Eddie Waring sound positively sane !

Paul G

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by stev » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
>sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.

>Classic example no. 299,999 came on Sunday during the Fax - Bradford  game
>when Tuilangi scored his try.  Was I the only person who thought he grounded
>the ball properly (I'm not talking about whether it was a forward pass or
>not).  My TV showed me Tuilangi sliding in with the ball touching the ground
>and him not moving his arm until the ball had touched the line, hence a
>perfectly legitimate try.  Obviously the TV screen Beavis and Butthead were
>watching showed something completely different from the absolute bollocks
>they came out with.

>On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
>externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
>seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

>What these two know about rugby league you could write on a stamp and still
>have enough room for the Queen's head.

>Andy.

Ahh come on, they are charged with generating exciting RL on TV three
times a week, it ain't easy being cheesy. I think after 30 or so
televised games already this season plus another twelve or thir***
midweek digests even you would start to annoy the***off the rest of
us.

--
steve

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
>externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
>seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

After Stevos outburst, Cass has not got a cat in hells chance of a fair
hearing.
--
Paul Matthews                          

Robert Peel Road safety Trial 1998 http://www.triton.u-net.com/rphome98.htm
 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by tad8 » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Unfortunately, I think you may be right.
Don't get me wrong, Cassidy deserves a bollocking & a lengthy ban, but it can't
be right when the BSkyB RL spokesperson rants "...thats the worst tackle I've
ever seen.." on national TV & then the  SL (funded mainly by BSkyB) have to show
that they're clamping down on dirty play & see Stevo's outburst as an ideal
platform to set the example on.
Lets hope common sense prevails over Stevo-generated hysteria.
Quote:


> >On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
> >externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
> >seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

> After Stevos outburst, Cass has not got a cat in hells chance of a fair
> hearing.
> --
> Paul Matthews

> Robert Peel Road safety Trial 1998 http://www.triton.u-net.com/rphome98.htm

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by WiganRLf » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
>externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
>seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

I can't believe he went as berserk as he did.  has he never seen a spear
tackle?  The one that ended Ian Lucas career in Australia springs to mind.

Morely has a cut eye - Lucas lost his career.  Worst tackle my arse.

I thought Betts handled his outbursts quite well.

The RL publications seem to put both Morely's and Cassidy's tackle on a par
with each other in the match reports and dwell on neither as "the worst tackle
ever seen".

Unfortunately Steveo has probably ensured the so called disciplinary panel will
for once meat out a long ban.  He may deserve that but in the face of all the
other one match bans etc for similar and more serious offences dished out this
season it will stink if that is *why* they do it.

Dave

--

Remove the letter "t" from clarat when replying via email

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00



: >I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
: >sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.
: >
: >Classic example no. 299,999 came on Sunday during the Fax - Bradford  game
: >when Tuilangi scored his try.  Was I the only person who thought he grounded
: >the ball properly (I'm not talking about whether it was a forward pass or
: >not).  My TV showed me Tuilangi sliding in with the ball touching the ground

Hemmings have given you an intrusive 'n' there with his scouse accent.
It's Tuilagi.

: >and him not moving his arm until the ball had touched the line, hence a
: >perfectly legitimate try.  Obviously the TV screen Beavis and Butthead were
: >watching showed something completely different from the absolute bollocks
: >they came out with.

Stevo comes up with terms to explain rules sometimes and then gets
carried away with them to the extent that he believes those terms are now
the mitigating factor in the rules. 'Swinging arm' is the prime example.
If anyone can show me a rule book where the term 'swinging arm' so much
as even gets into the glossary then I'll wear a frilly pink dress. Again.

As it happens, that try was so blatently grounded correctly that anyone
who suggests otherwise must be a complete moron. On the other hand, I
thought he was correct on it being a very marginally forward pass and
since Bradford had been pulled up twice for backward passes I was
slightly annoyed. Still, by far the best team won so no complaints.

: >On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
: >externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
: >seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).
: >
: >What these two know about rugby league you could write on a stamp and still
: >have enough room for the Queen's head.

: Ahh come on, they are charged with generating exciting RL on TV three
: times a week, it ain't easy being cheesy. I think after 30 or so
: televised games already this season plus another twelve or thir***
: midweek digests even you would start to annoy the***off the rest of
: us.

Indeed. As throw away commentators I actually quite like them. Stevo can
dig himself into a whole with remarkeable ease every now and again but
beyond that they can be pretty enjoyable. It might be nice now and again
to have someone with the remotest clue doing it though.

--
Chris           | Computer Officer
Russell's       | Computer Centre
Five            | University of Bradford
Line            | Tel: +44 1274 235463
sig             | Fax: +44 1274 304354

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: >On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
: >externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
: >seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).
: >
: After Stevos outburst, Cass has not got a cat in hells chance of a fair
: hearing.

Something I agree with you on. I'm not sure if you're slacking or I am.

--
Chris           | Computer Officer
Russell's       | Computer Centre
Five            | University of Bradford
Line            | Tel: +44 1274 235463
sig             | Fax: +44 1274 304354

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I can't believe he went as berserk as he did.  has he never seen a spear
>tackle?  The one that ended Ian Lucas career in Australia springs to mind.

I have seen many worse. Every gave, SOMEONE leads with an elbow. That is all
Cass did. He deserves a ban, but so do many other players. we see worse all the
time.

If I was Cassidy, I would be tempted with a Slander action, as the tackle it
was compared to was far worse (Biting Gouging etc).
--
Paul Matthews                          

Robert Peel Road safety Trial 1998 http://www.triton.u-net.com/rphome98.htm

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Don't get me wrong, Cassidy deserves a bollocking & a lengthy ban,
He does.
>be right when the BSkyB RL spokesperson rants "...thats the worst tackle I've
>ever seen.." on national TV & then the  SL (funded mainly by BSkyB) have to show
>that they're clamping down on dirty play & see Stevo's outburst as an ideal

I thinke Stevo used the words "we will....."

I didn't think he was on the disciplinary committee.
--
Paul Matthews                          

Robert Peel Road safety Trial 1998 http://www.triton.u-net.com/rphome98.htm

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Chris Tat » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:



>>I was just wondering whether I was the only person who is now thoroughly
>>sick and tired of the weekly verbal bollocks that is Sky commentary.

>>Classic example no. 299,999 came on Sunday during the Fax - Bradford  game
>>when Tuilangi scored his try.  Was I the only person who thought he
grounded
>>the ball properly (I'm not talking about whether it was a forward pass or
>>not).  My TV showed me Tuilangi sliding in with the ball touching the
ground
>>and him not moving his arm until the ball had touched the line, hence a
>>perfectly legitimate try.  Obviously the TV screen Beavis and Butthead
were
>>watching showed something completely different from the absolute bollocks
>>they came out with.

>>On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
>>externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd
ever
>>seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).

>>What these two know about rugby league you could write on a stamp and
still
>>have enough room for the Queen's head.

>>Andy.

>Ahh come on, they are charged with generating exciting RL on TV three
>times a week, it ain't easy being cheesy. I think after 30 or so
>televised games already this season plus another twelve or thir***
>midweek digests even you would start to annoy the***off the rest of
>us.

>--
>steve

of course he would.  he already is after one posting....

Sylvester

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Something I agree with you on. I'm not sure if you're slacking or I am.

We must do better <G>
--
Paul Matthews                          

Robert Peel Road safety Trial 1998 http://www.triton.u-net.com/rphome98.htm
 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by stev » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00



<snipped>
Quote:

>Stevo comes up with terms to explain rules sometimes and then gets
>carried away with them to the extent that he believes those terms are now
>the mitigating factor in the rules. 'Swinging arm' is the prime example.
>If anyone can show me a rule book where the term 'swinging arm' so much
>as even gets into the glossary then I'll wear a frilly pink dress. Again.

>As it happens, that try was so blatently grounded correctly that anyone
>who suggests otherwise must be a complete moron. On the other hand, I
>thought he was correct on it being a very marginally forward pass and
>since Bradford had been pulled up twice for backward passes I was
>slightly annoyed. Still, by far the best team won so no complaints.

>: >On Friday during the Wigan - Leeds game I thought Stevo was going to
>: >externally combust after he claimed Cassidy's tackle was the worst he'd ever
>: >seen (surely he's seen enough games by now).
>: >
>: >What these two know about rugby league you could write on a stamp and still
>: >have enough room for the Queen's head.

>: Ahh come on, they are charged with generating exciting RL on TV three
>: times a week, it ain't easy being cheesy. I think after 30 or so
>: televised games already this season plus another twelve or thir***
>: midweek digests even you would start to annoy the***off the rest of
>: us.

>Indeed. As throw away commentators I actually quite like them. Stevo can
>dig himself into a whole with remarkeable ease every now and again but
>beyond that they can be pretty enjoyable. It might be nice now and again
>to have someone with the remotest clue doing it though.

Problem is that one man's expert is another man's buffoon. They do have
the expert commentators in the studio every week to add some value but
even the reasoned John Kear is starting to sound a bit opinionated and
self obsessed.

Who would the powers that be rate as competent with commensurate
experience? Frenchy or Lydon!

--
steve

 
 
 

Eddie & Stevo - or is it Beavis & Butthead

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: >I can't believe he went as berserk as he did.  has he never seen a spear
: >tackle?  The one that ended Ian Lucas career in Australia springs to mind.
: >
: I have seen many worse. Every gave, SOMEONE leads with an elbow. That is all
: Cass did. He deserves a ban, but so do many other players. we see worse all the
: time.

He did jump into it though. Intent or not, that makes it look worse than
intended.

--
Chris           | Computer Officer
Russell's       | Computer Centre
Five            | University of Bradford
Line            | Tel: +44 1274 235463
sig             | Fax: +44 1274 304354