relegation

relegation

Post by stuart earle » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:42:50


what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
playing some sides 3 times and others twice
 
 
 

relegation

Post by John Turne » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:53:35

"stuart earley"  wrote

Quote:
> what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
> possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
> term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
> playing some sides 3 times and others twice

You're not from Wigan and seeking to avoid relegation are you?  ;-)

In principle I agree with you though.  I can see some credibility in
including Hull KR and Widnes and one other from Leigh, Halifax & one of the
Cumbrian sides.  15 teams would be an ideal size for SL producing 28 games
for each.

John.

John.

 
 
 

relegation

Post by Erni » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:12:48

I am from Wigan but think that Relegation is a good thing there should be at
least 1 team go down and on come up otherwise the teams in the lower
divisions have nothing to aim for. But having said that I have never
understood the play some teams 3 times in a regular season Superleague
should be 14 teams and at least 2 Lancashire V Yorkshire games within the
regular season just to give our players some test match experience before
the Tri-Nations

 
 
 

relegation

Post by Gordon Murra » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:14:12


Quote:

> "stuart earley"  wrote

>> what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>> possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
>> term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
>> playing some sides 3 times and others twice

> You're not from Wigan and seeking to avoid relegation are you?  ;-)

> In principle I agree with you though.  I can see some credibility in
> including Hull KR and Widnes and one other from Leigh, Halifax & one of
> the Cumbrian sides.  15 teams would be an ideal size for SL producing 28
> games for each.

> John.

> John.

I`d bet that most supporters would rather see an expanded SuperLeague,
but the bigger clubs would probably prefer to play each other 3 times rather
than twice, and a low-gate game against say Leigh.            :-(
 
 
 

relegation

Post by Alf Kin » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:33:27

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:53:35 +0100, "John Turner"

Quote:

>"stuart earley"  wrote

>> what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>> possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
>> term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
>> playing some sides 3 times and others twice

>You're not from Wigan and seeking to avoid relegation are you?  ;-)

>In principle I agree with you though.  I can see some credibility in
>including Hull KR and Widnes and one other from Leigh, Halifax & one of the
>Cumbrian sides.  15 teams would be an ideal size for SL producing 28 games
>for each.

>John.

>John.

I'm afraid that Halifax are a basket case John so shouldn't be
included in your ifs & maybes.
Alf King
 
 
 

relegation

Post by Alf Kin » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:38:32



Quote:
>what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
>term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
>playing some sides 3 times and others twice

This is a bit of an old chastnut on here but I can't resist commenting
once more.

The simple confusion in many peoples' minds is between teams and
clubs: whilst a team might readily win its league and seem suited to
promotion the club may be totally unsuited to play at the higher level
(I am thinking specifically of SL here). Hence promotion, where it is
permitted, must be judged upon the club's ability to survive in this
higher league rather than the team's ability to play in it.

Considering all of this the franchise approach, as applied in
Australia, would be the perfect one for SL and will be introduced in
2009 I believe.

Alf King

 
 
 

relegation

Post by KTK » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:40:46

I'd Like to see the league expanded

Bring in 2 from Widnes, Halifax Whitehaven & Hull KR.
(promoted side plus 2 more make them play off or something)
The Likes of Leigh would need a better business plan and recruitment to go
up.
Keep 1 up & 1 down (Wigan need a reality check)
Leigh do get crowds on a par with Huddersfield though.
I'd also regionalise bring in a team from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. put
them into NL 3 and make them work their way up.
I'd also try to get a tv deal for the NL clubs as well more money in the
game meens a better product and a better pool of talent to pick from.

Kyhan

Keep relegation

Quote:



>> "stuart earley"  wrote

>>> what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>>> possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go
>>> full term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this
>>> system of playing some sides 3 times and others twice

>> You're not from Wigan and seeking to avoid relegation are you?  ;-)

>> In principle I agree with you though.  I can see some credibility in
>> including Hull KR and Widnes and one other from Leigh, Halifax & one of
>> the Cumbrian sides.  15 teams would be an ideal size for SL producing 28
>> games for each.

>> John.

>> John.

> I`d bet that most supporters would rather see an expanded SuperLeague,
> but the bigger clubs would probably prefer to play each other 3 times
> rather
> than twice, and a low-gate game against say Leigh.            :-(

 
 
 

relegation

Post by John Turne » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:49:04

"Alf King"  wrote

Quote:
> I'm afraid that Halifax are a basket case John so shouldn't be
> included in your ifs & maybes.

That's true at the moment, but they have the potential for greater things.

John.

 
 
 

relegation

Post by Ken Smit » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 05:49:01


Quote:


>>what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>>possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
>>term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
>>playing some sides 3 times and others twice

> This is a bit of an old chastnut on here but I can't resist commenting
> once more.

> The simple confusion in many peoples' minds is between teams and
> clubs: whilst a team might readily win its league and seem suited to
> promotion the club may be totally unsuited to play at the higher level
> (I am thinking specifically of SL here). Hence promotion, where it is
> permitted, must be judged upon the club's ability to survive in this
> higher league rather than the team's ability to play in it.

> Considering all of this the franchise approach, as applied in
> Australia, would be the perfect one for SL and will be introduced in
> 2009 I believe.

> Alf King

I might be old-fashoned but I think that there is still a lot going for
promotion / relegation.
The top NL sides need to have the incentive of something to aim for and
aspire to.
 I can see where Alf is coming from with his differential between 'clubs' &
'teams', but I
 believe we should always give a good 'team' the opportunity to become a
good 'club'.
[Alf  -  would you apply the same reasoning to football, for example prevent
promotion
for Reading  etc ?]

Ken Smith

 
 
 

relegation

Post by Alf Kin » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:15:57

Quote:





>>>what are everyones thoughts on relegation. Personally I think there are
>>>possibly 3 sides outside of superleague that has the potential to go full
>>>term. Why not let these in and expand the league and stop this system of
>>>playing some sides 3 times and others twice

>> This is a bit of an old chastnut on here but I can't resist commenting
>> once more.

>> The simple confusion in many peoples' minds is between teams and
>> clubs: whilst a team might readily win its league and seem suited to
>> promotion the club may be totally unsuited to play at the higher level
>> (I am thinking specifically of SL here). Hence promotion, where it is
>> permitted, must be judged upon the club's ability to survive in this
>> higher league rather than the team's ability to play in it.

>> Considering all of this the franchise approach, as applied in
>> Australia, would be the perfect one for SL and will be introduced in
>> 2009 I believe.

>> Alf King

>I might be old-fashoned but I think that there is still a lot going for
>promotion / relegation.
>The top NL sides need to have the incentive of something to aim for and
>aspire to.
> I can see where Alf is coming from with his differential between 'clubs' &
>'teams', but I
> believe we should always give a good 'team' the opportunity to become a
>good 'club'.
>[Alf  -  would you apply the same reasoning to football, for example prevent
>promotion
>for Reading  etc ?]

>Ken Smith

Not yet but it's coming!

With RL we have a huge gap between playing standards in the NL and SL
which most clubs will find impossible to bridge. In many cases it is
potentially the ruination of a club that makes the leap. Anyone
remember Workington? In my view (not a popular one I admit) there is a
strong argument for the creation of a sound club base with a
confidently forecast income stream, good ground, potentially good
support (really, not just in la-la land) which could then apply for
membership as a franchise.

A final thought is that the team that gets promoted would not actually
be the one playing the following season. An apocryphal team talk by a
Scottish soccer coach comes to mind just before their cup semi-final:

"Now remember lads this is our big chance, our first semi for ten
years. Win this one then we can get into the final, earn some decent
money and then we'll be able to buy some decent players next season
for a change."

;-)

Alf King

 
 
 

relegation

Post by Arthur Py » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:03:03



Quote:
>With RL we have a huge gap between playing standards in the NL and SL

Yup, Erasmus knows all about that ;-)

--
Arthur