RL abandons Wales

RL abandons Wales

Post by John Drak » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00


So the next World Cup will feature GB instead of England and Wales, with
the excuse given that GB will have a better chance of winning the comp.

That is bullshit, pure and simple.

It is because the RL authorities here have abandoned the development of the
game in Wales, but don't even have the courage to admit it.

Their excuses are made to look even more ridiculous by the admission of a
NZ Maori team to the World Cup as well as the Kiwi national team. NZ is
strong enough to field 2 sides, but the UK can only manage 1.

It's enough to make you wish Murdoch WAS running the game, instead of the
clueless bunch of has beens we're stuck with.

John Drake
--
Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by J » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> So the next World Cup will feature GB instead of England and Wales, with
> the excuse given that GB will have a better chance of winning the comp.

> That is bullshit, pure and simple.

> It is because the RL authorities here have abandoned the development of the
> game in Wales, but don't even have the courage to admit it.

> Their excuses are made to look even more ridiculous by the admission of a
> NZ Maori team to the World Cup as well as the Kiwi national team. NZ is
> strong enough to field 2 sides, but the UK can only manage 1.

> It's enough to make you wish Murdoch WAS running the game, instead of the
> clueless bunch of has beens we're stuck with.

> John Drake
> --
> Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
> http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple
of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
few days.

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by WiganRLf » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>So the next World Cup will feature GB instead of England and Wales, with
>the excuse given that GB will have a better chance of winning the comp.

>That is bullshit, pure and simple.

Well if given the results of the WCC so far you think we can run two teams
in the next WC and stand a chance you are mad.

Its about time time we beat the Aussies in a major comp and splitting our
talent into two teams is the sort of high mainded worthy but ultimatley
stupid decision that would ensure we finish second best again.

Quote:

>It is because the RL authorities here have abandoned the development of
the
>game in Wales, but don't even have the courage to admit it.

The official line is that at the moment the Welsh are not up to it but for
the WC after next they will be back in the comp because by then RL in
Wales will be sorted.  Now you can believe that or not but thats the
official line.

Quote:
>Their excuses are made to look even more ridiculous by the admission of a
>NZ Maori team to the World Cup as well as the Kiwi national team. NZ is
>strong enough to field 2 sides, but the UK can only manage 1.

The inclusion of an NZ maori side and splitting the NZ team into two is
about as stupid as splitting GB into England and Wales.

Mind you defining who is an NZ maori seems just as difficult as defining
who is Welsh.  Do Somoans oand Tongans count as NZ Maoris?

Quote:
>It's enough to make you wish Murdoch WAS running the game, instead of the
>clueless bunch of has beens we're stuck with.

Maybe so but as far as the WC goes I reckon we should give ourselves the
best chance and ALWAYS play a GB side no matter how strong the game
becomes in Wales.

Its looking bad enough as it is but if the ARL and SL get life sorted out
down under you may as well not bother withthe comp if you split teams.

To sum up the decision may reflect badly on the development of the game in
Wales and show yet again what looneys are in charge but for once, whatever
the reasoning behind the decision, I approve.

Dave
Wigan RLFC - Simply THE Best.

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Paul McNal » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>> John Drake
>> --
>> Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
>> http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

>Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple
>of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
>one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
>few days.

Er, I think you're missing the point. (shock, gasp!)
Paul
 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by John Drak » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple
> of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
> one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
> few days.

And the score from Northern Transvaal was...?

I would LOVE to see how the likes of Bath, Leicester, Harlequins, Sale etc
would go against the Aussie League teams. Halifax's 70-6 mauling against
Canberra would be made to look respectable :-)

If union is so superior how come they fall over themselves to sign League
players?

Rugby League v Rugby Union
Quality v Quantity every time, matey. Every time!

John Drake

Rugby League - THE Greatest Game on the Web
http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Antonioni P » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> Date: 8 Jun 1997 10:52:48 GMT

> Newsgroups: rec.sport.rugby.league
> Subject: RL abandons Wales

> So the next World Cup will feature GB instead of England and Wales, with
> the excuse given that GB will have a better chance of winning the comp.

> That is bullshit, pure and simple.

> It is because the RL authorities here have abandoned the development of the
> game in Wales, but don't even have the courage to admit it.

> Their excuses are made to look even more ridiculous by the admission of a
> NZ Maori team to the World Cup as well as the Kiwi national team. NZ is
> strong enough to field 2 sides, but the UK can only manage 1.

> It's enough to make you wish Murdoch WAS running the game, instead of the
> clueless bunch of has beens we're stuck with.

> John Drake
> --
> Rugby League - The Greatest Game on the Web
> http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

You know, I reckon that we should be building Wales up as a rep side, not
a test side for the moment. From that it follows that we ought to give
more thought to the way we set up e.g. the European championships.

Totally agree on the Maoris though. This could be the first time a side
has ever been picked on race for a world cup. Even South Africa didn't try
to pull that one.

I also reckon that the RL has decided to make a strategic switch to
Ireland rather than wales. That might be a mistake.

P.J.

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Steve Morri » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple

On the web? any evidence for this?

Quote:
>of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
>one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
>few days.

OK just tell me, the recent WCC winners any crappy pom teams in there?

What three out of the last four winners of the WCC were Pom teams?????
Including Wigan winning in Brisbane?

How can this be so, after all RL is a minority sport in the UK played by
a (relatively) small number of people.

There must be some explanation for this if Britain can't play the game
properly? were the Aussie teams tired? Drunk? Demotivated?

There is a theory that at the top end of our structure Britain has
better players!!!! What poms better than Australians?

Explain to me the WCC victories of Wigan? Only time will tell?

Funny isn't it all those team of Aussie players and coaches playing in
the ESL, does Wigan have an Aussie coach? how many Aussie players do
they have?

Only time will tell............  

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Steve Morri » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00



OK here's my contribution, remember I am a RL & RU fan not a propoganda
man from Twickers

Quote:

>> Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple
>> of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
>> one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
>> few days.
>And the score from Northern Transvaal was...?

5 points difference, first defeat of the Lions by a SA provincial side
in what 25 years.

Quote:
>I would LOVE to see how the likes of Bath, Leicester, Harlequins, Sale etc
>would go against the Aussie League teams. Halifax's 70-6 mauling against
>Canberra would be made to look respectable :-)

I would love to see Wigan play the SF 49ers, that would make the
hypothetical victory of Aussie RL teams over RU teams look respectable.

Quote:
>If union is so superior how come they fall over themselves to sign League
>players?

If League is so superior how come they have signed so many Union players
in the last few years.

Which RL players have RU clubs signed? ex RU players returning plus:

Robinson, Paul Brothers and Connolly just about four of the best RL
players in the world.  

Quote:

>Rugby League v Rugby Union
>Quality v Quantity every time, matey. Every time!

Ah come on, I love SL but I have seen some really poor games. Even some
of the Aussie Superman are not really particularly good players. RL is
more exciting at club level than RU, however you jest if you think that
RU has no quality in it.

If you think that players like Gerry Guscott and Robert Howley are
anything other than pure class you are making a grave error. As would
any RU fan who underestimated Tony Smith and Gary Connolly.

Quote:

>John Drake

Steve Morris
 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Paul Matthe » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:51:15 +0100, Steve Morris
<SNIP>
Well said - there are good players in both codes, and there good things
in both games.

Paul Matthews
http://www.triton.u-net.com

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by John Drak » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> You know, I reckon that we should be building Wales up as a rep side, not
> a test side for the moment. From that it follows that we ought to give
> more thought to the way we set up e.g. the European championships.

I agree with your line of thinking, but my worry is that the RL authorities
will actually do nothing at all in Wales from now on. The possibility of a
Super League club there appears to have evaporated, despite the obvious
potential demonstrated during the '95 World Cup, and now one of the semi
finalists of that comp are deemed not strong enough to compete in the
subsequent tournament. Not a very encouraging example of the RL development
policy at work, is it :-(
Quote:

> I also reckon that the RL has decided to make a strategic switch to
> Ireland rather than wales. That might be a mistake.

It will be if they do in Ireland what they have done (or more to the point,
haven't done) in Wales, and Paris too for that matter.

John          

 
 
 

RL abandons Wales

Post by Paul Teasdal » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>> Sorry mate, rugby union is the greatest game on the web. Only a couple
>> of countries even play league properly - and here's a clue: Britain aint
>> one of them. If you don't beleve me, check out the results of the last
>> few days.
>And the score from Northern Transvaal was...?

>I would LOVE to see how the likes of Bath, Leicester, Harlequins, Sale etc
>would go against the Aussie League teams. Halifax's 70-6 mauling against
>Canberra would be made to look respectable :-)

>If union is so superior how come they fall over themselves to sign League
>players?

>Rugby League v Rugby Union
>Quality v Quantity every time, matey. Every time!

>John Drake

>Rugby League - THE Greatest Game on the Web
>http://greatestgame.simplenet.com

I'll second that johnny boy.  Too much male bonding and shagging
eachother senseless in Union, beleive me, there were some right old
initiation ceremonies at my former university for the rugger lads!!!!!
--
Teas