Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Rob.McDona » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00




Quote:
>I would like to see the game played for a full 80 minutes. There is quite
>a lot of time wasted in any game because the clock ticks away while
>there is no play. Like when a try is scored the goal kicker often takes
>minutes to kick it.

For years I have thought that they should stop the clock during shots for
goal.

I could never understand that.

Quote:
>Or when scrums pack down.

I don't think so, but when the ball goes out and there's a delay, I think
they should stop the clock, but it should be restarted when the ball is fed
into the scrum.

Quote:
>Or when cautions are being given.

Yes.

Quote:
>Or when the ball is dead etc etc.

Yes.

Quote:

>Would anyone else like to see this?  Other sports do it?

However, the problem might end up being that the game extends to a *very*
long time. (eg probably 2 - 2.5 hours) This was a problem in the NFL where
they eventually had to disband some of the stop time as their game was
extending up to about 4 hours.

Regards,

Rob.

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by d.m.fis.. » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>I would like to see the game played for a full 80 minutes. There is quite
>a lot of time wasted in any game because the clock ticks away while
>there is no play. Like when a try is scored the goal kicker often takes
>minutes to kick it. Or when scrums pack down. Or when cautions are being
>given. Or when the ball is dead etc etc.

>Would anyone else like to see this?  Other sports do it?

Me, for one. Though I'm not sure if we want to go the US route of simply
stopping the clock. That would produce 80 mins of play, but a
x hour game. I can't see the problem with imposing a time-limit on
kickers. Penalising a side which takes too long to pack down is possible,
but problematic: it leaves too much discretion in the hands of the ref as
to who is most guilty. Cautions could simply dealt out with 3rd coloured
card (with modern technology, any problem re the identity of the offender
could be cleared up via the P.A. system). With the dead-ball, I can't
see any real possibility for improvement ... it still depends on efficient
ball boys/girls return a ball to the right place ASAP.
I suspect we will simply have to put up with some of these probs.

The stoppage which really irritates me is that caused by lying-on. Like
scrums, there will always be a bit of discretion here, but the refs might
be more inclined to enforce the rule (and their own co-ordinator's directive)
if there were not so many supporters and players who applaud this negative
defensive tactic. It is not 'slowing the game down', it is cheating! And the
people who are most cheated are the paying spectators.

Dave Fisher

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Michael Cars » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Gee you lot have got short memories!!!

They tried this in Sydney R/L about 10 years ago, but it only lasted a
few weeks as the all mighty coaches said it was tiring out their poor
little players too much!! They took time off from when the ref awarded
the try to the kick off, and it added about 10-15 mins to the game!

Having said that, I still think that kicks at goal, cautions scrums etc
are all part of the game and should not be not part of the time taken. I
certainly don't want to become like NFL football which seems to be put on
purely for the benefit of TV, but if Mr Murdoch gets his way thats
probably what will happen.:-))))

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by d.m.fis.. » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00


Quote:



OH NO I DIDN'T

Quote:

>>>I would like to see the game played for a full 80 minutes. There is quite
>>>a lot of time wasted in any game because the clock ticks away while
>>>there is no play. Like when a try is scored the goal kicker often takes
>>>minutes to kick it. Or when scrums pack down. Or when cautions are being
>>>given. Or when the ball is dead etc etc.

>>>Would anyone else like to see this?  Other sports do it?

(SNIP)

Some problem with clipping here.
I did not write the above.
By and large I agree with everything you said, and have posted
much the same stats re the extra playing time in RL vs RU.

Just wanted to clear up the attribution before it gets any further.

Dave Fisher

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by M COLLIN » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

Quote:


>>I would like to see the game played for a full 80 minutes. There is quite
>>a lot of time wasted in any game because the clock ticks away while
>>there is no play. Like when a try is scored the goal kicker often takes
>>minutes to kick it. Or when scrums pack down. Or when cautions are being
>>given. Or when the ball is dead etc etc.

>>Would anyone else like to see this?  Other sports do it?

Lets look at a few comparisons. OK, I admit I don't have the actual
figures, but the last time I saw this issue discussed it emerged that in
Rugby League, the ball is 'live' for about 55-60 mins, or about 70-75%.
In union, for instance, the figure is more like 25 mins, and association
football, its around 45-50 mins. (If anyone wishes to supply more
accurate data, I stand to be corrected). So, we don't waste too much time
in League IMO anyway.

Also, I don't know what it's like in Australia, but the in the RL I watch
scrums are packed, fed and dispersed in about three nanoseconds flat, so
I don't understand where the time loss is there.

Another thing - when I was in Australia during the last Lions tour, I
thought it a bit of a shame that injury time isn't played as such, since
some rotten sod keeps stopping the stadium clock every time the ref
signals to the timekeeper. This to me removed that period of cardiac
inducing tension at the end of the game when you don't quite know how
long's left; seemed a bit of a pity to me.

Cheers anyway,

--
Matt Collins
Dept of Instant Value Judgements, Sweeping Statements & Scrums
Ivory Tower University
Huddersfield

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by and.. » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Having just watched the RL WC final, where the second half went for about
: 83 minutes,

83!!!!

: I was left thinking how bad the system was whereby everyone
: DIDN'T know how long was left.  It seemes silly to me in this day and
: age.  

: This just goes to show, I think, what a product of our environment we
: become.  I know in my heart that the Australian system is "better", but
: could even begin to go about explaining why.

No No No - it's far worse. It takes away all the e***ment from the end of
a close game. We were never going to win in the Final, but as long as we
didn't know how long there was left, there's always a feeling in your
heart that is can be done. If you see a clock ticking down the final
30 seconds, then you might as well leave the ground. You know for certain
that you can't do anything about the result and in my opinion you aren't
getting anywhere near the same value for money. It takes away all the
emotions from the end of a game.

: Cheers

: Christian Kelly

Andrew.
--
http://SportToday.org/~andrew/

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by M COLLIN » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


>: I was left thinking how bad the system was whereby everyone
>: DIDN'T know how long was left.  It seemes silly to me in this day and
>: age.  

>: This just goes to show, I think, what a product of our environment we
>: become.  I know in my heart that the Australian system is "better", but
>: could even begin to go about explaining why.

>No No No - it's far worse. It takes away all the e***ment from the end of
>a close game. We were never going to win in the Final, but as long as we
>didn't know how long there was left, there's always a feeling in your
>heart that is can be done. If you see a clock ticking down the final
>30 seconds, then you might as well leave the ground. You know for certain
>that you can't do anything about the result and in my opinion you aren't
>getting anywhere near the same value for money. It takes away all the
>emotions from the end of a game.

>: Cheers

>: Christian Kelly

>Andrew.

That was exactly my point. Bear in mind that the worlds most popular team
sport, assoc. football, doesn't even employ a timekeeper, so I hardly
think that we're living in the dark ages either. As far as this 80 minute
game is concerned, it's as well to remember that the game has _always_
been played for 80 minutes, and given that the game is generally accepted
as been faster now than at any time in its history, we're certainly
getting better value for our shilling than our forbears. What could be
argued is that the game should actually be shortened to accomodate this
fact, but this is all getting vary hypothetical and I'm certainly not
advocating it.

The other point about these fancy timekeeping systems is that they're OK
at the top level, but not for Brown Cow 'A' vs Rose & Crown 'B' on a
foggy Sunday morning in a park in Dewsbury!

Cheers (and congrats to Bramley (20-14 at Leigh)

Matt

--
Matt Collins
Dept of Instant Value Judgements, Sweeping Statements & Scrums
Ivory Tower University
Huddersfield

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Michael Paxton (9131 » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00


:>Alternatively, there could be a "shot-clock", with kickers given say 60
:>seconds to attempt the shot.
Kewl...and then we could get some guy to *pass* the ball to some guy who
would set it for the kicker...make it even quicker!

:>This would add tremendously to the
:>e***ment AND necessitate large increases in kickers' skills, IMHO.

How so?
You want e***ment? E***ment is when you know that if a guy can hang
onto his nerve, and if he doesnt get spooked by the 12,000 people boo'ing
him, and if he judjes the wind and the weight of the ball right, he can
put the game away.
Canterbury, Norths, and manly would not be the same without their gunners
spending the extra few seconds that see almost impossibly long goal
attempts put away like they were easy.
Goal kicks add to the tension and you dont need to add a clock to it to
improve it.

:>Cheers

:>Christian Kelly

:>"You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses"

--
_____________________________________________________________________________
Michael Paxton +61 6 2533047  |What you cant do with a number 14 chicken,


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^http://SportToday.org/~pickle^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Peter Davie » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>You want e***ment? E***ment is when you know that if a guy can hang
>onto his nerve, and if he doesnt get spooked by the 12,000 people boo'ing
>him, and if he judjes the wind and the weight of the ball right, he can
>put the game away.
>Canterbury, Norths, and manly would not be the same without their gunners
>spending the extra few seconds that see almost impossibly long goal
>attempts put away like they were easy.
>Goal kicks add to the tension and you dont need to add a clock to it to
>improve it.

>Michael Paxton +61 6 2533047  

Goal kicks waste time and that is how they're often used in close
matches. You still have the skill if you have to kick quickly or have to
drop kick it's just that the paying public doesn't get cheated out of an
exciting game of RL by a team desparate to win at all costs. Make
conversions one point and get on with the game.

--
===================
Peter Davies
MIS Division

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Michael Paxton (9131 » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00


:>Goal kicks waste time and that is how they're often used in close
:>matches. You still have the skill if you have to kick quickly or have to
:>drop kick it's just that the paying public doesn't get cheated out of an
:>exciting game of RL by a team desparate to win at all costs. Make
:>conversions one point and get on with the game.

Why dont we just abandon goal kicks, kick offs, kicks for touch, kicks in
play, scrums, play-the-balls, penalties, any and all forwardpass/knock-on
rules and any other stopages...Mr Davbies obviously hasnt got enough time
to watch rugby league...Lets change the rules so he can just watch the
running around.
Lets change the rules of tennis so whoever wins the first rally wins the
match...lets stop all this pointless "game play" and get down to the
nitty gritty...

Sheesh...
Sports have rules and because of these rules, the games have more facets
than JUST running up and down a 100 yard field. Because of these rules
Teams are different...some teams riding on a strong forward pack, others
with a mobile and proficient backline...others with a balanced team with
a genius goalkicker to tip rthe balance...
the more you homogenize a game, the more you stifle the variety and
e***ment of that game.
If you dont like rugby league, stop watching it...start your own code and
call it "no-foot-ball" or something

Michael.

:>--
:>===================
:>Peter Davies
:>MIS Division

--
_____________________________________________________________________________
Michael Paxton +61 6 2533047  |What you cant do with a number 14 chicken,


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^http://SportToday.org/~pickle^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 
 
 

Rugby League is an 80 minute game!

Post by Peter Davie » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>:>Goal kicks waste time
>Why dont we just abandon goal kicks, kick offs, kicks for touch, kicks in
>play, scrums, play-the-balls, penalties, any and all forwardpass/knock-on
>rules and any other stopages.

There may be a case for dropping scrums but my main gripe about
goal-kicking is the time wasting especially the conversions where the
clock could easily be stopped. I'm not trying get rid of kicking (except
for bombs).

.Mr Davies obviously hasnt got enough time

Quote:
>to watch rugby league...Lets change the rules so he can just watch the
>running around.

I've got plenty of time i just want to see more football action and less
posing and time-wasting.

Quote:
>Sheesh...
>Sports have rules and because of these rules, the games have more facets
>than JUST running up and down a 100 yard field. Because of these rules
>Teams are different...some teams riding on a strong forward pack, others
>with a mobile and proficient backline...others with a balanced team with
>a genius goalkicker to tip rthe balance...

Because of these rules and the lack of application of them by some refs
we also have ... Pseudo-scrums, Camera-hogging goal kickers, slow
play-the-balls, head-high tackling, brawling.

Quote:
>the more you homogenize a game, the more you stifle the variety and
>e***ment of that game.

Are you now arguing for a return to Union?

Quote:
>If you dont like rugby league, stop watching it...start your own code and
>call it "no-foot-ball" or something

If i have given anyone the impression that i don't like RL merely because
i see the need for change then let me assure everybody that it ain't so.
The game doesn't enjoy the world-wide domination you see in NSW & Qld.

Quote:

>Michael.

--
===================
Peter Davies
MIS Division