Leeds v Saints

Leeds v Saints

Post by Mugwu » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Well after rushing out of work and driving down the M62 like a madman
I finally made it to Headingley 5 minutes after the game kicked off.

Looking back on the game Leeds took their chances and Saints did not.

Too many silly penalties in the first half cost us the game although
I must say Leeds did tackle well.

Saints virtually camped on the Rhinos line for nearly all of the
second half and should really have done better.

If they had scored in the first few minutes after the interval then
I feel the floodgates would have opened.

They didn't and if you fail to come up with the goods after so much
possession then it affects you psychologically.

To their credit Leeds gave 100% and if the match were to be judged on
guts then they would have walked it.

The Goulding miss was just one of those things, every player has moments
like this and you cannot legislate for them.

All in all Saints should have won the match and if they had shown a
little more invention then I feel it would have been a comfortable
scoreline, however if you fail to take your chances then you cannot
expect to come away with the points.

I am not all that concerned about the loss, we played poorly and
we only just lost by a point.

Saints will pick themselves up and now have three home ties in a row
to put things straight.

I wouldn't like to be playing for Salford on Tuesday night though.

Mugwump.

    !!    |-------------------------------------------|    !!

   !!!!   |        --iNTERzONE iNcORpOrATED---        |   !!!!
  /    \  |-------------------------------------------|  /    \
 ( O||O ) |"I think it's time for you boys to share my| ( O||O )
 (  /\  ) |last taste of the true black meat - flesh  | (  /\  )
  (/##\)  |of the giant aquatic Brazilian Centipede"  |  (/##\)

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Paul McNal » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00



ht.

Quote:

>I wouldn't like to be playing for Salford on Tuesday night though.

>Mugwump.

Well you need the win more than us to keep up with us dontcha! :)

Paul

McCrea said Perrilini and Newlove are doubtful, is that just bollocks
or possible Mugs?

Listen, we arranged to take afternoons off etc on Tues after last
night's delirium so if you and any other Saints losers wanna meet up
to consume some booze pre-match let's get it sorted quick....

(bring your knives! :)

Gonna have to sew my pockets up with all you leafing scouse gets
around! :)

Paul

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Prwhjw12 » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Your getting to sound like a Wigan fan of two years ago.  Come on you
Bulls!!

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Mugwu » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>Your getting to sound like a Wigan fan of two years ago.  Come on you
>Bulls!!

Nah if I were to sound like that I would be saying something like:

"The ref was shite - we were robbed"

or

"Those flukey ***s from Leeds"

Mugwump.

    !!    |-------------------------------------------|    !!

   !!!!   |        --iNTERzONE iNcORpOrATED---        |   !!!!
  /    \  |-------------------------------------------|  /    \
 ( O||O ) |"I think it's time for you boys to share my| ( O||O )
 (  /\  ) |last taste of the true black meat - flesh  | (  /\  )
  (/##\)  |of the giant aquatic Brazilian Centipede"  |  (/##\)

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Lloyd Barkha » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

 Mugwump wrote on 11/4/97:

Quote:
>Well after rushing out of work and driving down the M62 like a madman
>I finally made it to Headingley 5 minutes after the game kicked off.

Where were you. I looked out for you.

Quote:
>Looking back on the game Leeds took their chances and Saints did not.
>Too many silly penalties in the first half cost us the game although
>I must say Leeds did tackle well.

We certainly did. That must be the best defensive display for sometime.
Everybody did there bit in what was a rearguard action in the 2nd half. None
more so than the two centre Hassan and Blackmore.

Quote:
>Saints virtually camped on the Rhinos line for nearly all of the
>second half and should really have done better.

Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
>If they had scored in the first few minutes after the interval then
>I feel the floodgates would have opened.

I don't think so. We showed against Wigan last week that we could back coming
back from 2-10 and 8-16.

Quote:
>They didn't and if you fail to come up with the goods after so much
>possession then it affects you psychologically.
>To their credit Leeds gave 100% and if the match were to be judged on
>guts then they would have walked it.

Very true. If we can carry on like this we will certainly up there at the end of the
season.

Quote:
>The Goulding miss was just one of those things, every player has moments
>like this and you cannot legislate for them.

Justice was seen to be done.

Quote:
>All in all Saints should have won the match and if they had shown a
>little more invention then I feel it would have been a comfortable
>scoreline, however if you fail to take your chances then you cannot
>expect to come away with the points.

Well I suppose we had to disagree sometime. Saints certainly didn't deserve
to win over the whole match and if we'd lost by the odd point again it would
have been a complete travesty.

Quote:
>I am not all that concerned about the loss, we played poorly and
>we only just lost by a point.

If you played poorly then you certainly didn't deserve to win .

Quote:
>Saints will pick themselves up and now have three home ties in a row
>to put things straight.
>I wouldn't like to be playing for Salford on Tuesday night though.
>Mugwump.

Lloyd


 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Lloyd Barkha » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

 John Lancaster wrote on 12/4/97:

Quote:


>>I am not all that concerned about the loss, we played poorly and
>>we only just lost by a point.

>Ray French nearly gave me a heart attack ! His commentry last night
>was, I must say, excellent, and if they got rid of that aussie prat
>off Grandstand I feel we would get better coverage.

>Few injuries are worrying me, though, and anyone want to take a bet on
>how long KC will be banned for. Ray made it sound like they had to sow
>the victims head back on before he could carry on. Any truth.

>John Lancaster
>St Helens, UK

8 matches reduced to just enough so he won't miss Wembley :-)

These referees are getting worse. Connolly (of the Robert variety) was stood
no more than 5m from the incident and puts the bastard on report. 5 mins later
we're down to 12 men for laying on. Only one word for it :-

CHICKEN

What do you have to do to be sent off? I also believe there was a similar incident
at Salford tonight.

Lloyd


 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Mugwu » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>These referees are getting worse. Connolly (of the Robert variety) was stood
>no more than 5m from the incident and puts the bastard on report. 5 mins later
>we're down to 12 men for laying on. Only one word for it :-

>CHICKEN

Nope it's called keeping your cool.

I take it you did not see Sterling saying that it wasn't intentional?

As I said in another posting, it's difficult to send a man off for an
offence which even the opposition is questioning.

Mugwump.

    !!    |-------------------------------------------|    !!

   !!!!   |        --iNTERzONE iNcORpOrATED---        |   !!!!
  /    \  |-------------------------------------------|  /    \
 ( O||O ) |"I think it's time for you boys to share my| ( O||O )
 (  /\  ) |last taste of the true black meat - flesh  | (  /\  )
  (/##\)  |of the giant aquatic Brazilian Centipede"  |  (/##\)

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by Paul McNal » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>These referees are getting worse. Connolly (of the Robert variety) was stood
>no more than 5m from the incident and puts the bastard on report. 5 mins later
>we're down to 12 men for laying on. Only one word for it :-

>CHICKEN

>What do you have to do to be sent off? I also believe there was a similar incident
>at Salford tonight.

It's looked a bastard of a tackle from where we were. Rogers was
through and going to score and off went his head. Result=Report. Thing
was we were 10-16 at that time and we get a penalty 2 yards from the
line. As it was we got away and won but it could have cost us 2
points....

Steve Ganson, I'm sorry mate but you fall short of an appallingly low
standard. The Report system is being hidden behind.

Paul

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by RHS Linux Us » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:  John Lancaster wrote on 12/4/97:



: >
: >
: >>I am not all that concerned about the loss, we played poorly and
: >>we only just lost by a point.
: >
: >Ray French nearly gave me a heart attack ! His commentry last night
: >was, I must say, excellent, and if they got rid of that aussie prat
: >off Grandstand I feel we would get better coverage.

Ray French's radio commentary is second to none. It's certainly better
than that you'll hear on Radio Leeds where Leeds fans get to cover Leeds
games, Bradford fans Bradford games, an investor in Castleford does
Castleford games and a Huddersfield cheerleader wannabe does the Giants
games.

The trouble with French is he dies on his arse on the TV. He did so before
the arrival of Simms and just does so slightly quicker with his help.

: These referees are getting worse. Connolly (of the Robert variety) was stood
: no more than 5m from the incident and puts the bastard on report. 5 mins later
: we're down to 12 men for laying on. Only one word for it :-

: CHICKEN

Cummins did an outstanding job for Wigan v Bradford I thought. Penalised
both sides freely in the first five minutes for everything under the sun
and the game flowed reasonably well there after. It would have flowed a
touch more if Abi Ekoku could catch but I digress...

: What do you have to do to be sent off? I also believe there was a similar incident
: at Salford tonight.

Leeds wouldn't do it though, eh Lloyd? ;^)

Congrats to Leeds, Salford and Oldham though. I had them all down for
hidings and they all win by 1-point. Excellent stuff.

 
 
 

Leeds v Saints

Post by wiganrl.. » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>The Goulding miss was just one of those things, every player has moments
>like this and you cannot legislate for them.

This is the first bit of bad luck Saints have had in a close game for over a season.

At last.

Dave

Wigan RLFC - Simply THE Best.