Spectator friendly grounds

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by G.J.Hugh » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00


I wonder if any one can tell me if they have ever had any problems with
Oldham supporters?either at Watersheddings or Boundary Park or away?I
would be grateful for any opinion, experiences.
Just for my own information!

Thanks in Advance
Gareth

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by Sadfis » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I wonder if any one can tell me if they have ever had any problems
> with
> Oldham supporters?either at Watersheddings or Boundary Park or away?I
> would be grateful for any opinion, experiences.
> Just for my own information!

> Thanks in Advance
> Gareth

When the Adelaide Rams played at Boudary Park this past summer I went in
my Adelaide Rams shirt(as my family are all from OZ), the Older people
(over 14) where great, I was sat right in the home end, with my friends
from Oldham and a guy who used to play for Oldham.  The younger people
just hurled abuse at me the whole game, it was a good atmosphere tho'
and I feel saddened that they are going to be playing the Second
Division!

Sadfish

All the latest on the MIGHTY(yeah) Saints!
http://surf.to/sadfish

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by Pete Kolto » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> from Oldham and a guy who used to play for Oldham.  The younger people
> just hurled abuse at me the whole game,

Funny.  I thought that sort of thing only happened at The Boulevard.  At
least that's what anyone reading this NG would think.

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by Dee Brook » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>I wonder if any one can tell me if they have ever had any problems with
>Oldham supporters?either at Watersheddings or Boundary Park or away?I
>would be grateful for any opinion, experiences.
>Just for my own information!

>Thanks in Advance
>Gareth

I never made it to Boundary Park, but there was never any trouble that
I saw at Watersheddings (except the temperature !), or at any
Saints/Oldham matches at Knowsley road.
Is there a point to all this? Have I missed something about Oldham
speccies?

Dee

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by David William » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> What do you mean Hull is a peaceful club, never any trouble, salt of the
> earth.  Whoops, no hold on Hull have a problem, it gets bigger each time,
> stop ignoring it and do something about it, before something really serious
> happens.

So, we agree, nothing serious has happened yet.  

Your tiresome repetition of the lie that 'Hull is a problem club'
may eventually convince a few gullible people to stay away.
Perhaps this is your intention - maybe you are motivated by crowd
size jealousy.  I think you will just have to live with the fact
that ours is bigger than yours. (Ooh er, Mrs...)  However, Pete Kolton,
myself and other Hull supporters/RSRL posters, who attend regularly and
know the club and its supporters, will continue to refute your groundless
claims.  We will also continue to expose your use of this age-old
propaganda technique of making false claims so frequently that people
start to believe you.  If you want a technical term, your claims
are known as 'factoids', the basis of many urban myths, etc.

I know you are not the only one who 'whinges' about Hull,
but you just happened to be the one I've read most recently.

--


               - http://www.humber.ac.uk/su/main/home.htm

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an
absurd one"    Voltaire

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by M.A. Jamies » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


>> from Oldham and a guy who used to play for Oldham.  The younger people
>> just hurled abuse at me the whole game,

>Funny.  I thought that sort of thing only happened at The Boulevard.  At
>least that's what anyone reading this NG would think.

What do you mean Hull is a peaceful club, never any trouble, salt of the
earth.  Whoops, no hold on Hull have a problem, it gets bigger each time,
stop ignoring it and do something about it, before something really serious
happens.

Matt a SL Giant.

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by Stephen M » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00


:  
: > What do you mean Hull is a peaceful club, never any trouble, salt of the
: > earth.  Whoops, no hold on Hull have a problem, it gets bigger each time,
: > stop ignoring it and do something about it, before something really serious
: > happens.

: So, we agree, nothing serious has happened yet.  

I very nearly got the shit kicked out of me at the Boulevard once. Does
that count. *** chanting repeatedly ignored by the stewards. Not being
allowed in one of the stands because it's too dangerous for away
supporters. I notice a lot of houses around the ground have barbed wire
and broken glass at the tops of their walls. That wouldn't be anything to
do with the world class rugby stadium with excellent facilities and a
friendly crowd with a good line in ready Northern wit and banter, would
it?

: Your tiresome repetition of the lie that 'Hull is a problem club'
: may eventually convince a few gullible people to stay away.

I think you'll find quite a few people stay away already mate. Ever
wondered why Hulls away support is so big compared to other clubs. That's
because no supporter in his right mind would follow his team to the
Boulevard so you never get to see other clubs away fans. I certainly won't
take my girlfriend or sister there again.

: Perhaps this is your intention - maybe you are motivated by crowd
: size jealousy.  I think you will just have to live with the fact
: that ours is bigger than yours. (Ooh er, Mrs...)  However, Pete Kolton,
: myself and other Hull supporters/RSRL posters, who attend regularly and
: know the club and its supporters, will continue to refute your groundless
: claims.  We will also continue to expose your use of this age-old
: propaganda technique of making false claims so frequently that people
: start to believe you.  If you want a technical term, your claims
: are known as 'factoids', the basis of many urban myths, etc.

Yeah, sure. Whatever. It's costing the club money already. The fact there
is a perceived problem is a problem the club should be dealing with, even
if the allegations were untrue. Which they aren't.

: I know you are not the only one who 'whinges' about Hull,
: but you just happened to be the one I've read most recently.

No, most fans 'whinge' about Hull. Including those from clubs which have
no reason to be jealous of Hull. Could it just be that there really is a
problem? Perhaps? Maybe?

: --


:                - http://SportToday.org/

: "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an
: absurd one"    Voltaire

Are you certain there is no crowd problem brewing at Hull?

--

Cheers

Stephen

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by G.J.Hugh » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


>>I wonder if any one can tell me if they have ever had any problems
with
>>Oldham supporters?either at Watersheddings or Boundary Park or away?I
>>would be grateful for any opinion, experiences.
>>Just for my own information!

>>Thanks in Advance
>>Gareth
>I never made it to Boundary Park, but there was never any trouble that
>I saw at Watersheddings (except the temperature !), or at any
>Saints/Oldham matches at Knowsley road.
>Is there a point to all this? Have I missed something about Oldham
>speccies?

>Dee

No you havnt missed anything!it was just a question cause i had never
seen or heard of any trouble with oldham fans and i wondered if anyone
else had.

Gareth-

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by Steve S » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Having visited Watersheddings a number of times over the years, the only
time I have had anything like a problem was about 4 years ago when I was
fervantly shouting for my team and a man of about 70 turned round to my
wife and I and told us to 'F*ck off back to Featherstone you C*nts'.
Needless to say, this was all the more shocking considering the guys age.

Other than that, I have always found Oldham fans to be relatively
personable.

Steve



| I wonder if any one can tell me if they have ever had any problems with
| Oldham supporters?either at Watersheddings or Boundary Park or away?I
| would be grateful for any opinion, experiences.
| Just for my own information!
|
| Thanks in Advance
| Gareth
|

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by M.A. Jamies » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>> What do you mean Hull is a peaceful club, never any trouble, salt of the
>> earth.  Whoops, no hold on Hull have a problem, it gets bigger each
time,
>> stop ignoring it and do something about it, before something really
serious
>> happens.

>So, we agree, nothing serious has happened yet.  

>Your tiresome repetition of the lie that 'Hull is a problem club'
>may eventually convince a few gullible people to stay away.
>Perhaps this is your intention - maybe you are motivated by crowd
>size jealousy.  I think you will just have to live with the fact
>that ours is bigger than yours. (Ooh er, Mrs...)  However, Pete Kolton,
>myself and other Hull supporters/RSRL posters, who attend regularly and
>know the club and its supporters, will continue to refute your groundless
>claims.  We will also continue to expose your use of this age-old
>propaganda technique of making false claims so frequently that people
>start to believe you.  If you want a technical term, your claims
>are known as 'factoids', the basis of many urban myths, etc.

>I know you are not the only one who 'whinges' about Hull,
>but you just happened to be the one I've read most recently.

When I say nothing serious as happened yet, I mean on the scale of the
Football Holigans of the 80's.  When I went to Hull and at Old Trafford,
your fans tried to spoil both occations, with their bad language and
treating behaviour.

Matt a SL Giant.

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by David William » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I very nearly got the shit kicked out of me at the Boulevard once. Does
> that count.

I don't think so.  I nearly got run over in Cleethorpes
once, but that doesn't mean they have a traffic problem.  
It just means I should be more aware of my surroundings
and act accordingly for my own safety's sake.

Quote:
> *** chanting repeatedly ignored by the stewards. Not being
> allowed in one of the stands because it's too dangerous for away
> supporters.

Serous question.  You clearly know the Boulevard, and the
Threepenny stand.  What would you do, as Chief Steward say,
to silence or chastise a vociferous crowd of a thousand
people?  Bear in mind that their attendance pays your wages.
Now tell me why you would want, as an away supporter, to
stand in the middle of this same crowd, let alone take your
girlfriend or sister with you!

Quote:
> I notice a lot of houses around the ground have barbed wire
> and broken glass at the tops of their walls. That wouldn't be anything to
> do with the world class rugby stadium with excellent facilities and a
> friendly crowd with a good line in ready Northern wit and banter, would
> it?

No, it wouldn't.  There are very few home games, as you
will be aware, and little or no collateral damage to surrounding
properties arise from the presence of RL supporters.  The
barbed wire and broken glass is clearly a deterrent for
burglars and other trespassers.

Quote:
> Ever wondered why Hulls away support is so big compared to other clubs. That's
> because no supporter in his right mind would follow his team to the
> Boulevard so you never get to see other clubs away fans.

I'm not sure I can follow your logic here.  Hull's away
support is large compared to many other clubs' because
of the passion for the game and the team - also, if you
know Hull at all, you will realise that there are not
that many competing attractions.

As for the lack of away support for other teams, this could
be down to cost, fear, distance, timidity, lack of passion,
and so on.  Who knows?  The RL marketing people clearly do not.

Quote:

> When I say nothing serious as happened yet, I mean on the scale of the
> Football Holigans of the 80's.  When I went to Hull and at Old Trafford,
> your fans tried to spoil both occations, with their bad language and
> treating behaviour.

So, what is the scale of the problem?  Is there really any
likelihood of hooligan activity on the scale of football in
the '80's?  No, I thought not.

Some Hull fans can be offensive and there is certainly a
'binge' culture rife in the city - especially when their
team reaches a final. At least they only 'tried' to
spoil your days out but you still persist in trying to
tar all Hull fans with the same brush.

Following the Old Trafford game did the Hull fans skulk
away or sit glumly and silently through the Wigan/Saints
game?  No, their passion for the team and game manifested
itself in their singing, cheering and admiration for
good RL.  Activities which were no doubt interpreted by
yourself as intimidation.  I am developing a picture of
you, Matt and Steven, as the young Victor Meldrews of
Rugby League - so I don't suppose anything I write will
persuade you of the error of your ways.

--


               - http://SportToday.org/

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an
absurd one"    Voltaire

 
 
 

Spectator friendly grounds

Post by M.A. Jamies » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>> I very nearly got the shit kicked out of me at the Boulevard once. Does
>> that count.

>I don't think so.  I nearly got run over in Cleethorpes
>once, but that doesn't mean they have a traffic problem.  
>It just means I should be more aware of my surroundings
>and act accordingly for my own safety's sake.

>> *** chanting repeatedly ignored by the stewards. Not being
>> allowed in one of the stands because it's too dangerous for away
>> supporters.

>Serous question.  You clearly know the Boulevard, and the
>Threepenny stand.  What would you do, as Chief Steward say,
>to silence or chastise a vociferous crowd of a thousand
>people?  Bear in mind that their attendance pays your wages.
>Now tell me why you would want, as an away supporter, to
>stand in the middle of this same crowd, let alone take your
>girlfriend or sister with you!

>> I notice a lot of houses around the ground have barbed wire
>> and broken glass at the tops of their walls. That wouldn't be anything
to
>> do with the world class rugby stadium with excellent facilities and a
>> friendly crowd with a good line in ready Northern wit and banter, would
>> it?

>No, it wouldn't.  There are very few home games, as you
>will be aware, and little or no collateral damage to surrounding
>properties arise from the presence of RL supporters.  The
>barbed wire and broken glass is clearly a deterrent for
>burglars and other trespassers.

>> Ever wondered why Hulls away support is so big compared to other clubs.
That's
>> because no supporter in his right mind would follow his team to the
>> Boulevard so you never get to see other clubs away fans.

>I'm not sure I can follow your logic here.  Hull's away
>support is large compared to many other clubs' because
>of the passion for the game and the team - also, if you
>know Hull at all, you will realise that there are not
>that many competing attractions.

>As for the lack of away support for other teams, this could
>be down to cost, fear, distance, timidity, lack of passion,
>and so on.  Who knows?  The RL marketing people clearly do not.



So, what is the scale of the problem?  Is there really any
likelihood of hooligan activity on the scale of football in
the '80's?  No, I thought not.

Some Hull fans can be offensive and there is certainly a
'binge' culture rife in the city - especially when their
team reaches a final. At least they only 'tried' to
spoil your days out but you still persist in trying to
tar all Hull fans with the same brush.

Following the Old Trafford game did the Hull fans skulk
away or sit glumly and silently through the Wigan/Saints
game?  No, their passion for the team and game manifested
itself in their singing, cheering and admiration for
good RL.  Activities which were no doubt interpreted by
yourself as intimidation.  I am developing a picture of
you, Matt and Steven, as the young Victor Meldrews of
Rugby League - so I don't suppose anything I write will
persuade you of the error of your ways.

M.A. Jamieson replies
Well 'I don't believe it!'
You really are kidding yourself, if you believe that there is no problem
with some of the Hull fans.  You do have a passionate fans, that is true,
but sometimes their passion, can cause them to behave unsocialablly.  I
mean booing Huddersfield after they had won at Old Trafford, isn't hardly
sporting, spitting on some Wigan fans, who clapped Huddersfield as they
paraded the trophy isn't good behaviour.  Coming up to Huddersfield fans
and sticking up two fingers in their faces and saying well we won the
***ing league, isn't really the norm, in Rugby League, is it?

Matt a SL Giant.