Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Well, not quite. He's joined SLE but he ain't holding the reigns anymore.
For the benefit of Australian readers who might not be sure, most of the
following references to 'Super League' refer to the British competition
rather than the organisation.

From http://www.sporting-life.com/rleague/news/

                LINDSAY QUITS TO JOIN SUPER LEAGUE
                EUROPE

                By Ian Laybourn, PA Sport

                Maurice Lindsay has quit as chief executive of the Rugby
                Football League to join Super League Europe, it was
                confirmed this afternoon.

                Super League chairman Chris Caisley announced the
                shock move amid confusion and speculation that Lindsay
                was asked to resign from his old job.

                Signs that the switch has not received universal approval
                came with the further announcement that a special general
                meeting of clubs will be held on Friday, January 16, to
                discuss the matter.

                In the meantime, Lindsay's deputy, Neil Tunnicliffe, will
                become acting chief executive and could become a front
                runner for the post.

                The 56-year-old Lindsay, a one-time bookmaker,
                succeeded David Oxley as RFL chief executive in 1992
                after returning as manager of the Great Britain tour to
                Australia and New Zealand.

                He was one of the pioneers of Super League and the
                World Club Championship and was also the man
                credited with the rise to world prominence of Wigan.

                But he has been blamed by the public and sections of the
                media for many of the game's ills and has been the
                subject of increased calls for his resignation.

                And his place on the International Board became
                untenable in December when Super League in Australia
                joined forces with Lindsay's arch-enemies in the ARL.

                Lindsay said today: "I now wish to focus totally on Super
                League. I was obviously one of the original architects of
                Super League in 1995 but events in Australia made it
                difficult to complete the task.

                "Super League is quite obviously the flagship of rugby
                league and its success is vital to the future of the game.

                "I have no doubt that this year will be the best-ever for
                Super League and many clubs have demonstrated by
                recent signings and club investments that we are poised
                for success."

                A news conference has been scheduled for Monday to
                outline Lindsay's role alongside Caisley and chief
                executive Colin Myler.

                Caisley said: "We are delighted that Maurice has decided
                to concentrate fully on Super League.

                "We have been building Super League for two years and,
                with Maurice and Colin Myler at the helm, we have
                people with great experience and energy and we are now
                set to fulfil our ambitions of making Super League the
                most dynamic of sporting competitions.

                "We are seeking to re-position Super League in this our
                third season and Maurice will obviously play a prominent
                part."

                Myler, a former newspaper editor who joined Super
                League in 1996, welcomed the appointment, saying:
                "Maurice's experience in the sport will be of immense
                benefit to us and I am delighted to welcome him into the
                team.

                "We have a glorious opportunity in 1998 to really begin
                to capitalise on a strong foundation that has been laid in
                the first two years of Super League."

                The RFL declined to comment on speculation that
                Lindsay was asked to resign as chief executive at
                yesterday's meeting of the board of directors.

                RFL chairman Sir Rodney Walker was unavailable but
                said in a statement: "I have been pleased to agree with
                this move.

                "Super League and Maurice Lindsay were synonymous
                when it was established in 1995 and I well understand
                Maurice wanting to complete the task.

                "He wishes to focus entirely on Super League duties and
                the development and expansion of Super League is most
                important to him. I understand that and wish him well."

--
Chris PRR Russell          |
Electronic Imaging Dept.   | Get your retaliation in first!
University of Bradford     |
Tel: +44 1274 385463       |

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Keefy Ran » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Well, not quite. He's joined SLE but he ain't holding the reigns anymore.
> For the benefit of Australian readers who might not be sure, most of the
> following references to 'Super League' refer to the British competition
> rather than the organisation.

> From http://www.sporting-life.com/rleague/news/

>                 LINDSAY QUITS TO JOIN SUPER LEAGUE
>                 EUROPE

Isn't there a Super League in Mongolia or somewhere that he could ruin?
Anyway, sounds like great news. It was on the sports news this morning,
and everyone seemed to agree that it was a good thing indeed!

I think League in Australia will rapidly regain its popularity. Let's hope
that League in the UK also does well. With Lindsay out of the way, perhaps
there's a good chance of this. I also heard that Brisbane is unlikely to
release Sailor. If only the money that is available in the Uk could be
spent on advertising the game and developing juniors rather than spending
on imports, then maybe the game would get stronger. Anyway, :-)

--
Keefy Randy,  Sydney Australia

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by WiganRLf » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> also heard that Brisbane is unlikely to
>release Sailor.

It's all very confusing.  The *latest* news I heard on the radio on the way to
work today is that Wigan say there is no problem.  On the sporting life web
pages, it says there is a problem.

Quote:
> If only the money that is available in the Uk could be
>spent on advertising the game and developing juniors rather than spending
>on imports, then maybe the game would get stronger.

You have a point but I think there is a big difference between importing the
likes of Sailor and the usual 32 year old surplus to requirements soon to be
ex-first grade player most clubs over here tend to go for.

Wigan have done that IMO with Bell and McCormack but with Sailor the intension
is to use him to promote the game and to make money for the club.  The master
plan is that despite the high wages the club will make a profit of the deal and
RL in general will get a higher profile.

If they can swing that then I think the deal is fine.  Sailor is the right kind
of player to import.  Bell and McCormack are not.

Dave
--
Wigan RLFC - getting back to being Simply the best -

(remove the letter t from clarat if replying via email)

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Mr P Halliwel » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
> Isn't there a Super League in Mongolia or somewhere that he could ruin?
> Anyway, sounds like great news. It was on the sports news this morning,
> and everyone seemed to agree that it was a good thing indeed!

There's an intergalacitc SL starting soon and he may get tranferreed to the
interstella Governing body called Universeal Superleague, based on Mars i hope.

What botheres me is that Lindsay has made a move up the Sl ladder and he is now
effectivley controlling the RFL from above rather thah from within.  I thought
ML's bast potential was shown at club level, when he moved up the RLE
he was out
of his depth.  Now it's even worse.

Quote:
> I think League in Australia will rapidly regain its popularity. Let's hope
> that League in the UK also does well. With Lindsay out of the way, perhaps
> there's a good chance of this. I also heard that Brisbane is unlikely to
> release Sailor. If only the money that is available in the Uk could be
> spent on advertising the game and developing juniors rather than spending
> on imports, then maybe the game would get stronger. Anyway, :-)

Nah, that would be a long term, thinking mans, marketting masterstroke.
Something the RLE would never stoop too.  They are too much in favour of
quick fixes and need to visit the options for a new spectacle perscription
that allows them to see past the end of thier nose.

Quote:
> --
> Keefy Randy,  Sydney Australia

Sailor will be a good crowd puller and marketting assest.  I just hope he
come over the Wigan.  Not that I'm biased you know.

--

The official Wigan Warriors RLFC site.
Also WISA, Superleague and Warriors Fanzine site.
As important as the right to free speach is the right not to listen....!

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Palu Bennewort » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> What botheres me is that Lindsay has made a move up the Sl ladder and he is now
> effectivley controlling the RFL from above rather thah from within.  I thought
> ML's bast potential was shown at club level, when he moved up the RLE
> he was out
> of his depth.  Now it's even worse.

there's a brilliant article in the grauniad today about the resignation
of Uncle Mo.  my favourite bit was the coda at the end, where David
Myler is asked about ML's vision, "vision??  he's a ***y bookmaker!"

said it all for me.

Paul.

--
-----------------------------------
I hate Wigan
But I hate Australia more.
But that's debatable after Boxing Day.
-----------------------------------

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by John Hull » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Whether Sailor comes to Wigan or not, and personally I hope he does ( the
only preferable option would be for him to come to London along with Menzies
(What a rumour! Menzies! Zoweeeeee!) )  - the point is RL got into the news
at last in the UK, and for most of this week with Lindsay's move as well. I
hope this is the beginning of a plan to get RL into the news here every day.

John

Quote:

>Wigan have done that IMO with Bell and McCormack but with Sailor the
intension
>is to use him to promote the game and to make money for the club.  The
master
>plan is that despite the high wages the club will make a profit of the deal
and
>RL in general will get a higher profile.

>If they can swing that then I think the deal is fine.  Sailor is the right
kind
>of player to import.  Bell and McCormack are not.

>Dave
>--
>Wigan RLFC - getting back to being Simply the best -

>(remove the letter t from clarat if replying via email)

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by John Hull » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

At least at Super League he's got Caisley to watch over him. Methinks Mo
won't like having to do as he's told instead of as he likes, and will soon
depart.

Odd that the RFL should try to hold on to him, if that was true. It gives
Tunnicliffe's people a chance to show what they can do, now that the Wicked
Witch of the Tote has moved out.

We're still left with the problem of negotiating with the NRL. There's that
little matter of a fixture shortage next July to sort out, apparently.

John

Quote:


>> What botheres me is that Lindsay has made a move up the Sl ladder and he
is now
>> effectivley controlling the RFL from above rather thah from within.  I
thought
>> ML's bast potential was shown at club level, when he moved up the RLE
>> he was out
>> of his depth.  Now it's even worse.

>there's a brilliant article in the grauniad today about the resignation
>of Uncle Mo.  my favourite bit was the coda at the end, where David
>Myler is asked about ML's vision, "vision??  he's a ***y bookmaker!"

>said it all for me.

>Paul.

>--
>-----------------------------------
>I hate Wigan
>But I hate Australia more.
>But that's debatable after Boxing Day.
>-----------------------------------

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Keefy Ran » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Whether Sailor comes to Wigan or not, and personally I hope he does ( the
> only preferable option would be for him to come to London along with Menzies
> (What a rumour! Menzies! Zoweeeeee!) )  - the point is RL got into the news
> at last in the UK, and for most of this week with Lindsay's move as well. I
> hope this is the beginning of a plan to get RL into the news here every day.

> John

Yes, I'm sure that you're correct on Menzies. That it's a rumour, that is.
I'm sorry, you can't have him. Surely you can be content with Mark Carroll
intimidating the opposition's forwards? You're just getting greedy now.

By the way, can I raise the issue of just how good Sailor is? The last
time all the teams were playing together I had the feeling that he was
shut out of games where Brisbane came up against strong defences. I didn't
see much of him last season when a lot of 'open' rugby league seemed to be
played.

How good would Robinson have looked if he was playing for Brisbane? How
many tries could he have scored when Brisbane were getting 50s and 60s
against the English sides?

--
Keefy Randy,  Sydney Australia

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by WiganRLf » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>By the way, can I raise the issue of just how good Sailor is? The last
>time all the teams were playing together I had the feeling that he was
>shut out of games where Brisbane came up against strong defences.

Well that happens to all players doesn't it in that situation from time to
time.

Quote:
> I didn't
>see much of him last season when a lot of 'open' rugby league seemed to be
>played.

Thought he was top try scorer if not in SL but for Brisbane?

He will certainly have an impact if he does come to Wigan.

Quote:
>How good would Robinson have looked if he was playing for Brisbane?

I don't know.  IMO, he would have done OK and as he got used to life down under
no doubt he would have improved further.

Dave
--
Wigan RLFC - getting back to being Simply the best -

(remove the letter t from clarat if replying via email)

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by John Hull » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Yes, I'm sure that you're correct on Menzies. That it's a rumour, that is.
>I'm sorry, you can't have him. Surely you can be content with Mark Carroll
>intimidating the opposition's forwards? You're just getting greedy now.

I am, I admit  it. By the way, what sort of form has Carroll been in while
those of us in England have had no arl to watch ?

Quote:
>By the way, can I raise the issue of just how good Sailor is? The last
>time all the teams were playing together I had the feeling that he was
>shut out of games where Brisbane came up against strong defences.

I hope they improve dramatically, but let's be honest - he's not going to
meet much of what Aussie RL would regard as a "strong defence" over here!

Quote:
>How good would Robinson have looked if he was playing for Brisbane? How
>many tries could he have scored when Brisbane were getting 50s and 60s
>against the English sides?

Loads. If wingers can't score when their forwards are destroying the
oppisition and with the likes of Renouf at centre, then they'll never score.

But there's another issue here. Less than two years ago Wigan was being
paraded as bankrupt, shedding players at an alarming rate, and run by
inadequates. The purchase of Sailor showed the UK that Wigan were back,
under new management and with money to spend again. It really lifted RL
fans'  spirits - the best news since the peace in Oz.

John

 
 
 

Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

Post by Keefy Ran » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:


> >Yes, I'm sure that you're correct on Menzies. That it's a rumour, that is.
> >I'm sorry, you can't have him. Surely you can be content with Mark Carroll
> >intimidating the opposition's forwards? You're just getting greedy now.

> I am, I admit  it. By the way, what sort of form has Carroll been in while
> those of us in England have had no arl to watch ?

Very good form imho. He will be 31 this year of course, so he won't be
able to keep that up forever.
snip

Quote:
> But there's another issue here. Less than two years ago Wigan was being
> paraded as bankrupt, shedding players at an alarming rate, and run by
> inadequates. The purchase of Sailor showed the UK that Wigan were back,
> under new management and with money to spend again. It really lifted RL
> fans'  spirits - the best news since the peace in Oz.

> John

Well, I hope he can go to Wigan then. More chance of seeing Brisbane lose
a few matches. In my opinion, Brisbane are very strong favourites for
upcoming season.

--
Keefy Randy,  Sydney Australia