Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Steve Morri » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00




Quote:
>Am not trying to start the old league v union debate as until last
>weekend I liked both. However ....

>Wembley was easier to get into than Twickenham ground

>Beer was the same price

>The new Twickenham is a soul-less concrete jungle

>Union showed its usual flair and had .... a military band. Wow!

>The Leicester and Sale fans just did not have the same vibrance and
>humour as the Saints and Bradford fans the week before.

>But most importantly the union game was so boring I spent most of the
>match watching the bits of scenery I could through binoculars. I have
>vowed never to go to a Union game again - but if I waver I will
>*definitely* never ever go to a game that features Leicester.

>I even preferred to watch the game on Sunday where Saints got a good
>tanning from a really error-free Bradford outfit just to see some
>e***ment and refereeing decisions that I could understand even if I
>didn't agree with them.

>Sorry Union, you've lost me after that one.

Twickenham is a souless place, even when full (which is frequently) it
is one of the stadia with least atmosphere I have been to. However
please don't make sweeping statements about rugby union and atmosphere
based on that game.

Ever seen the mighty white machine play in Cardiff Arms Park? you will
not find more atmosphere or emotion at any sporting event. I have seen
quite a few sporting events of different kinds in different venues Wales
v England is just about the best.

This is not just the usual partisan ***its true.  

Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
scoring opportunity.

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by David Birtwisl » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

Am not trying to start the old league v union debate as until last
weekend I liked both. However ....

Wembley was easier to get into than Twickenham ground

Beer was the same price

The new Twickenham is a soul-less concrete jungle

Union showed its usual flair and had .... a military band. Wow!

The Leicester and Sale fans just did not have the same vibrance and
humour as the Saints and Bradford fans the week before.

But most importantly the union game was so boring I spent most of the
match watching the bits of scenery I could through binoculars. I have
vowed never to go to a Union game again - but if I waver I will
*definitely* never ever go to a game that features Leicester.

I even preferred to watch the game on Sunday where Saints got a good
tanning from a really error-free Bradford outfit just to see some
e***ment and refereeing decisions that I could understand even if I
didn't agree with them.

Sorry Union, you've lost me after that one.

--
David Birtwisle

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Lloyd J. Barkha » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>On Wed, 14 May 1997 22:15:50 +0100, Steve Morris

>>Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
>>unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
>>scoring opportunity.

>>--
>>Steve Morris

>It was an awful spectacle though Steve...I just  can't get into and I
>keep giving it the chances...

>I was psuedo interested because I live about 5 mins from Sale and it
>was quite tense at the end but it was soooooooo verrrrrrrrrry
>blaaaaaaaaaand.

>The last 5 mins might as well not existed cos it was all spent with
>fat blokes either wheeling or collapsing the scrum to kill the game
>off.

>I'm all for tactics but I don't start ywning watching American Footy
>which is much more tactically orientated.

>I can't get how no team can cross the line for a try in a whole 80
>minutes when the tackling is as woeful as it is...

>I'm not doubting the passion of the Welsh or the undoubted spectacle
>that is Super 12 or RU in the southern hemisphere, but english club
>rugby union is horrible in my, not that  limited, experience.

>Sorry folks.

>Paul

I have to agree with every word, Paul. It beggars belief that this can
be construed as a great game when the score after 80 minutes was 3
penalties to 1!!
--
Lloyd


 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Steve Morri » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>On Wed, 14 May 1997 22:15:50 +0100, Steve Morris

>>Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
>>unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
>>scoring opportunity.

>>--
>>Steve Morris

>It was an awful spectacle though Steve...I just  can't get into and I
>keep giving it the chances...

>I was psuedo interested because I live about 5 mins from Sale and it
>was quite tense at the end but it was soooooooo verrrrrrrrrry
>blaaaaaaaaaand.

>The last 5 mins might as well not existed cos it was all spent with
>fat blokes either wheeling or collapsing the scrum to kill the game
>off.

>I'm all for tactics but I don't start ywning watching American Footy
>which is much more tactically orientated.

>I can't get how no team can cross the line for a try in a whole 80
>minutes when the tackling is as woeful as it is...

>I'm not doubting the passion of the Welsh or the undoubted spectacle
>that is Super 12 or RU in the southern hemisphere, but english club
>rugby union is horrible in my, not that  limited, experience.

>Sorry folks.

>Paul

Your opinions are just as valid as mine Paul, I didn't mean to challenge
your view of the game rather the generalisations.

I find club rugby union in England stagnant as an event, I now tend to
go only rarely and to particular games. As a spectacle it doesn't
compete with Super League (Cas v PSG) excepted.

However things are moving forward and as in all of these matters there
are exceptions that prove the rule. A few Bath v Gloucester games have
hit the spot and some of the European games were really good.

International rugby is quite different to club rugby.

Long live league long live London and long live Lions.....  

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Steve Morri » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


>>On Wed, 14 May 1997 22:15:50 +0100, Steve Morris

>>>Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
>>>unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
>>>scoring opportunity.

>>>--
>>>Steve Morris

>>It was an awful spectacle though Steve...I just  can't get into and I
>>keep giving it the chances...

>>I was psuedo interested because I live about 5 mins from Sale and it
>>was quite tense at the end but it was soooooooo verrrrrrrrrry
>>blaaaaaaaaaand.

>>The last 5 mins might as well not existed cos it was all spent with
>>fat blokes either wheeling or collapsing the scrum to kill the game
>>off.

>>I'm all for tactics but I don't start ywning watching American Footy
>>which is much more tactically orientated.

>>I can't get how no team can cross the line for a try in a whole 80
>>minutes when the tackling is as woeful as it is...

>>I'm not doubting the passion of the Welsh or the undoubted spectacle
>>that is Super 12 or RU in the southern hemisphere, but english club
>>rugby union is horrible in my, not that  limited, experience.

>>Sorry folks.

>>Paul

>I have to agree with every word, Paul. It beggars belief that this can
>be construed as a great game when the score after 80 minutes was 3
>penalties to 1!!

I think the game has been universally accepted (including Martin Johnson
right after the final whistle) to have been a poor spectacle even by
union club standards

Steve Morris

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Paul McNal » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 May 1997 22:15:50 +0100, Steve Morris

Quote:

>Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
>unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
>scoring opportunity.

>--
>Steve Morris

It was an awful spectacle though Steve...I just  can't get into and I
keep giving it the chances...

I was psuedo interested because I live about 5 mins from Sale and it
was quite tense at the end but it was soooooooo verrrrrrrrrry
blaaaaaaaaaand.

The last 5 mins might as well not existed cos it was all spent with
fat blokes either wheeling or collapsing the scrum to kill the game
off.

I'm all for tactics but I don't start ywning watching American Footy
which is much more tactically orientated.

I can't get how no team can cross the line for a try in a whole 80
minutes when the tackling is as woeful as it is...

I'm not doubting the passion of the Welsh or the undoubted spectacle
that is Super 12 or RU in the southern hemisphere, but english club
rugby union is horrible in my, not that  limited, experience.

Sorry folks.

Paul

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Jonathan Nayl » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>I have to agree with every word, Paul. It beggars belief that this can
>be construed as a great game when the score after 80 minutes was 3
>penalties to 1!!

But if you were to read r.s.r.u, the people on there are also saying that it
was a boring game. It is certainly not indicative of some very fine Rugby
that has been played in the league (Courage not Super :-) this season.

The truth of the matter is that both teams were knackered, and the
Pilkington Cup is no longer the premier competition. Leicester were quite
happy as it was because of finishing in the top 4, so they play in Europe
again next year. The cup game was seen as one extra game. Many of the
players were probably thinking of SA and/or Argentina.

I think Martin Johnson (the Leicester captain) was quoted as saying that
they he and the team were just glad that it was out of the way, enthusiastic
or what ?

Quote:
>--
>Lloyd


Jonathan

--
+----------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

+----------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
|           Author of Linux kernel AX.25, NET/ROM and Rose.                |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Paul McNal » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 15 May 1997 13:13:28 +0100, Steve Morris

Quote:

>I think the game has been universally accepted (including Martin Johnson
>right after the final whistle) to have been a poor spectacle even by
>union club standards

>Steve Morris

I've seen plenty of internationals though Steve with one or less
tries! I 'm not saying you need tries to make it a good game but,
well, I don't think it's for me....I'd like it to be, I really would
but that;s life...have to try and get back into watching
netball....ahem!

Paul

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by David Birtwisl » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Twickenham is a souless place, even when full (which is frequently) it
>is one of the stadia with least atmosphere I have been to. However
>please don't make sweeping statements about rugby union and atmosphere
>based on that game.

Steve, didn't start out to make sweeping statements but the difference
in the two showpiece games was immense.

Quote:

>Ever seen the mighty white machine play in Cardiff Arms Park? you will
>not find more atmosphere or emotion at any sporting event. I have seen
>quite a few sporting events of different kinds in different venues Wales
>v England is just about the best.

Never able to get tickets for matches at the Arms Park which I will
always regret.

It was very expensive to pay for six tickets to in the end get three for
Twickenham matches. What a scam.

Quote:

>This is not just the usual partisan ***its true.  

>Leicester got beat earlier this season by an error free Brieve team, and
>unlike Bradford who could have won by 50 points Brieve took nearly every
>scoring opportunity.

The one game I saw this season where Leicester cut loose and threw the
ball around was memorable  - but most league games are more memorable.

Sorry, but wasting twenty quid on Twickenham has made a lasting
impression.

--
David Birtwisle

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Paul Matthe » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 May 1997 21:10:45 +0100, David Birtwisle

Quote:

>But most importantly the union game was so boring I spent most of the
>match watching the bits of scenery I could through binoculars. I have
>vowed never to go to a Union game again - but if I waver I will
>*definitely* never ever go to a game that features Leicester.

I prefer to watch Union by going a long to a local club. You don'y pay
anything, beer is normally cheap, you can hear all the calls made by
players, and they can all hear anything you say. Become a regular and you
are likely to be handed a flag one week :-)

Paul Matthews
http://www.triton.u-net.com

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by David Birtwisl » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Leaving aside the merits of Union v League (I love one, don't understand
>the other), there will be quite a few League fans stunned to read your
>message, David.

>You understand the refereeing decisions of Russell Smith!

Russell Smith is a living legend. He is a referee's referee. Every game
has to have its characters. Erm - his thinking is quicker than his
gestures. I'm trying to be positive here. He must be good otherwise he
wouldn't have the job - would he?

Quote:

>About that one on Sunday when Bradford had the ball and......

Do you really mean that one or the one later, or the other one when .
.....?

Quote:
>John

--
David Birtwisle
 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Vibrating Bum-Faced Goa » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

: International rugby is quite different to club rugby.

To be honest with you Steve, the thought of a squad of fat media tarts
jetting off to play Prik van Kaffirbasher in South Africa doesn't exactly
leave me smacking my lips either.

: Long live league long live London and long live Lions.....  

Indeed so, and may both teams do well against the Australians this
autumn.

--
Chris Russell           | Bradford Bulls - Wembley 1997
Electronic Imaging Unit |
University of Bradford  | Tough on St.Helens
TEL: +44 1274 385463    | Tough on the causes of St.Helens.

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Steve Morri » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>On Thu, 15 May 1997 13:13:28 +0100, Steve Morris

>>I think the game has been universally accepted (including Martin Johnson
>>right after the final whistle) to have been a poor spectacle even by
>>union club standards

>>Steve Morris

>I've seen plenty of internationals though Steve with one or less
>tries! I 'm not saying you need tries to make it a good game but,
>well, I don't think it's for me....I'd like it to be, I really would
>but that;s life...have to try and get back into watching
>netball....ahem!

>Paul

I guess its subjective. I have enjoyed narrow England victories over
other nations when no tries have been scored, the pleasure of a clean
line out take or a rolling maul that can take the ball fourty yards up
the park.

--
Steve Morris

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by Paul Matthe » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

On Fri, 16 May 1997 14:36:04 +0100, Steve Morris

Quote:
>I guess its subjective. I have enjoyed narrow England victories over
>other nations when no tries have been scored, the pleasure of a clean
>line out take or a rolling maul that can take the ball fourty yards up
>the park.

Or real quick rucking that has the defence at sixes and sevens...

Paul Matthews
http://www.triton.u-net.com

 
 
 

Silk Cut Challenge Cup v. Pilkington Cup

Post by <a.. » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>International rugby is quite different to club rugby.

True.  It's even worse, if only because it sells itself as being better,
when it's really more of the same.  This may seem like a sweeping
generalisation, but it's based on having watched the Five Nations for as
long as I can remember; certainly since before I started watching RL and
realised that rugby could actually be exciting.  Granted this years
competition was the best for years, but the days when the entire match
seemed to consist of Rob Andrew banging the ball into touch are not so
long gone.  You certainly cannot argue that Scotland, Ireland or Wales
play anything like interesting rugby at the moment; France at least
attempt to run and pass, whilst Englands forward power is awesome and
they've finally ditched the kick-for-touch-at-all-costs mentality.  That
makes for one meaningful game a year.  Looking forward to seeing the
Lions get a good panning from the Springboks - unpatriotic, I know, but
I bet there aren't many people on this group who disagree.  Hands-up
everybody who had a quiet celebration a few years back when Jonah Lomu
ran over Mike Catt for the 43rd time.....

--
Andy Dawson