BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Ashley Klei » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00


--------------8DBC7BE3C90814414CFD305D
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Fullback:  Brett Mullins (Canberra Raiders)

Winger:    Sean Hoppe (Auckland Warriors)

Centre:    Steve Renouf (Brisbane Broncos)

Centre:    Andrew Ettinghausen (Cronulla Sharks)

Winger:    Wendell Sailor (Brisbane Broncos)

5/8:       Laurie Daley (Canberra Raiders)

Half:      Allan Langer (Brisbane Broncos)

Lock:      Bradley Clyde (Canberra Raiders)

2nd Row:   Steve Kearney (Auckland Warriors)

2nd Row:   David Furner (Canberra Raiders)

Prop:      Not too sure here!

***:    Steve Walters (North Queensland Cowboys)

Prop:      Glenn Lazuras (Brisbane Broncos)

Anyone disagree??

I can't find any English player making a World team as they just

were not good enough, as seen through the WCC.  Only players that

could possibly scrape in would be Robinson (Wigan), Farrell (Wigan),

or the two Paul brothers.

Cya

--------------8DBC7BE3C90814414CFD305D
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML>

<PRE>Fullback:&nbsp; Brett Mullins (Canberra Raiders)</PRE>

<PRE>Winger:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sean Hoppe (Auckland Warriors)</PRE>

<PRE>Centre:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Steve Renouf (Brisbane Broncos)</PRE>

<PRE>Centre:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Andrew Ettinghausen (Cronulla Sharks)</PRE>

<PRE>Winger:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Wendell Sailor (Brisbane Broncos)</PRE>

<PRE>5/8:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Laurie Daley (Canberra Raiders)</PRE>

<PRE>Half:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Allan Langer (Brisbane Broncos)</PRE>

<PRE>Lock:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bradley Clyde (Canberra Raiders)</PRE>

<PRE>2nd Row:&nbsp;&nbsp; Steve Kearney (Auckland Warriors)</PRE>

<PRE>2nd Row:&nbsp;&nbsp; David Furner (Canberra Raiders)</PRE>

<PRE>Prop:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Not too sure here!</PRE>

<PRE>***:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Steve Walters (North Queensland Cowboys)</PRE>

<PRE>Prop:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Glenn Lazuras (Brisbane Broncos)</PRE>

<PRE>Anyone disagree??</PRE>

<PRE>I can't find any English player making a World team as they just</PRE>

<PRE>were not good enough, as seen through the WCC.&nbsp; Only players that</PRE>

<PRE>could possibly scrape in would be Robinson (Wigan), Farrell (Wigan),</PRE>

<PRE>or the two Paul brothers.</PRE>

<PRE>Cya</PRE>

<PRE></PRE>

<PRE></PRE>
</HTML>

--------------8DBC7BE3C90814414CFD305D--

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Scott Metta » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I would have Robinson replacing Hoppe, Connelly replacing Renouf and Gary
Larson replacing Kearney. Every team needs a Larson.

As for the other prop, Mark Carroll is the best "go forward" prop in the
game.

Scott Mettam

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by James Smi » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
Ashley Klein writes:
> Anyone disagree??

I note that your 'best' team contains 4 Canberra Raiders,
1 ex-Raider, 4 Brisbane Broncos (including another ex-Raider),
2 Auckland Warriors (including, you guessed it, another ex-Raider),
and 1 Cronulla Shark.

Would I be wrong in suspecting that you support Canberra?

Jim
--
James J Smith             |                   The Vault
Faculty of Engineering    |              (looking for a home)
Newcastle University      |    Australian rugby league records and history


 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Jeffrey Harri » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> As for the other prop, Mark Carroll is the best "go forward" prop in the
> game.

And from the way people go on in this ng he can be the 'enforcer'
without fear of penalty...

Strange, I always thought is was Harragon who got the preferential
treatment.
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        Jeffrey  Harris

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Richard Edli » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I would have Robinson replacing Hoppe, Connelly replacing Renouf and Gary
> Larson replacing Kearney. Every team needs a Larson.

I'm not too sure about the Larson/Kearney call although I'd agree with
the others.  If you look at the workload Kearney gets through it may be
less than Larson but it still fulfils the same role.  Kearney also has
the attributes of some speed, the ability to break the line and a very
good offload (fortunately he no longer passes to the breeze).  He is
probably the only New Zealander in the starting XIII although given a
few years Jones might also manage it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Richard Edli » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Would a better balanced side (rather than the 13 best players) be

Fullback:  Matthew Ridge  (in place of Mullins)
Winger:    Brett Mullins  (in place of Hoppe)
OutCentre: Steve Renouf
InCentre:  Gary Connolly  (in place of ET)
Winger:    Jason Robinson (in place of Sailor)
5/8:       Laurie Daley
Half:      Allan Langer
Lock:      Brad Fittler   (in place of Clyde)
2nd Row:   Steve Kearney
2nd Row:   Steve Menzies (in place of Furner)
Prop:      Paul Harragon
***:    Steve Walters
Prop:      Glenn Lazarus

Res Back:  Wendell Sailor
Res 1/2:   Noel Goldthorpe
Res Prop:  Mark Carroll
Res Fwd:   Jason Croker

My reasons are:
Presuming he's fit Ridge is probably the most solid fullback in the
world.  If you have a full range of attacking weapons in the three
quarter line you can afford less potency from the back.  His
organisation of the defense also cuts back the opposition's score
(compare Manly and Auckland's defence with and without Ridge).

A place has to be found for Mullins.  Hoppe drew the short straw.  Much
the same story is behind Sailor's demise (although he is a handy
reserve).

Connolly showed in the WCC that not all Englishmen are below world-class
standard.  He deserves his place.

On this year's form Clyde would have more chance getting into a world
team as a prop.

Furner is not of the same calibre as the rest of those named.  If his
services as a <cough> kicker were not required I doubt he would have
made the earlier team.  Menzies gives variety to the second row that
Larson would not have.

Harragon is my other prop - I rate him higher than Carroll, especially
in a world team as opposed to an Australian one (Carroll seems to put
that extra bit in play for his country).

Goldthorpe is an interesting call and just above Toovey.  He got the nod
because of his organsiation of a team - if the current game plan is not
working injecting him gives an entirely different halfback's game.
Five-eighth reserve is covered by Fittler who would be replaced at Loose
Forward.

Croker is the final contentious call.  He can play anywhere well and if
a team is injury hit you want at least one player that can.

Hard luck story has to be ET - unfortunately he is too often MIA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Colin Franc » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>--------------8DBC7BE3C90814414CFD305D
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

>Fullback:  Brett Mullins (Canberra Raiders)

>Winger:    Sean Hoppe (Auckland Warriors)

>Centre:    Steve Renouf (Brisbane Broncos)

>Centre:    Andrew Ettinghausen (Cronulla Sharks)

>Winger:    Wendell Sailor (Brisbane Broncos)

>5/8:       Laurie Daley (Canberra Raiders)

>Half:      Allan Langer (Brisbane Broncos)

>Lock:      Bradley Clyde (Canberra Raiders)

>2nd Row:   Steve Kearney (Auckland Warriors)

>2nd Row:   David Furner (Canberra Raiders)

>Prop:      Not too sure here!

>***:    Steve Walters (North Queensland Cowboys)

>Prop:      Glenn Lazuras (Brisbane Broncos)

>Anyone disagree??

>I can't find any English player making a World team as they just

>were not good enough, as seen through the WCC.  Only players that

>could possibly scrape in would be Robinson (Wigan), Farrell (Wigan),

>or the two Paul brothers.

>Cya

>--------------8DBC7BE3C90814414CFD305D

 >
Your team sounds a bit like the golden Oldies/ be good in a veterans
competition. A lot of your picks are voer the hill..
Col

******** Remove NOSPAM to get my correct address*****

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Ashley Klei » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Ashley Klein writes:

> > Anyone disagree??

> I note that your 'best' team contains 4 Canberra Raiders,
> 1 ex-Raider, 4 Brisbane Broncos (including another ex-Raider),
> 2 Auckland Warriors (including, you guessed it, another ex-Raider),
> and 1 Cronulla Shark.

> Would I be wrong in suspecting that you support Canberra?

James,

Actually I support the Warriors!!

Ashley

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Ashley Klei » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Would a better balanced side (rather than the 13 best players) be

> Fullback:  Matthew Ridge  (in place of Mullins)
> Winger:    Brett Mullins  (in place of Hoppe)
> OutCentre: Steve Renouf
> InCentre:  Gary Connolly  (in place of ET)
> Winger:    Jason Robinson (in place of Sailor)
> 5/8:       Laurie Daley
> Half:      Allan Langer
> Lock:      Brad Fittler   (in place of Clyde)
> 2nd Row:   Steve Kearney
> 2nd Row:   Steve Menzies (in place of Furner)
> Prop:      Paul Harragon
> ***:    Steve Walters
> Prop:      Glenn Lazarus

> Res Back:  Wendell Sailor
> Res 1/2:   Noel Goldthorpe
> Res Prop:  Mark Carroll
> Res Fwd:   Jason Croker

> My reasons are:
> Presuming he's fit Ridge is probably the most solid fullback in the
> world.  If you have a full range of attacking weapons in the three
> quarter line you can afford less potency from the back.  His
> organisation of the defense also cuts back the opposition's score
> (compare Manly and Auckland's defence with and without Ridge).

> A place has to be found for Mullins.  Hoppe drew the short straw.
> Much
> the same story is behind Sailor's demise (although he is a handy
> reserve).

> Connolly showed in the WCC that not all Englishmen are below
> world-class
> standard.  He deserves his place.

> On this year's form Clyde would have more chance getting into a world
> team as a prop.

> Furner is not of the same calibre as the rest of those named.  If his
> services as a <cough> kicker were not required I doubt he would have
> made the earlier team.  Menzies gives variety to the second row that
> Larson would not have.

> Harragon is my other prop - I rate him higher than Carroll, especially

> in a world team as opposed to an Australian one (Carroll seems to put
> that extra bit in play for his country).

> Goldthorpe is an interesting call and just above Toovey.  He got the
> nod
> because of his organsiation of a team - if the current game plan is
> not
> working injecting him gives an entirely different halfback's game.
> Five-eighth reserve is covered by Fittler who would be replaced at
> Loose
> Forward.

> Croker is the final contentious call.  He can play anywhere well and
> if
> a team is injury hit you want at least one player that can.

> Hard luck story has to be ET - unfortunately he is too often MIA.

> --------------------------------------------------------------------


Richard,

I like your team.  Fittler though is OVERRATED in my books.

Ashley

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Jeremy Burrow » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Being a Pom, it breaks my heart to agree with you Ashley mate, but I
have to!  The only exception to your list would be Robinson (Wigan)
replacing Hoppe at winger, and I would replace E.T (I agree still a fine
player) with Newlove (St. Helens) who is definately one of the best
centres in the world but has had injuries galore this season.

For prop if we incluse the ARL, then I would say Paul Harrogan
(Newcasle) a human tank in their was ever one, but then Fittler would
have to be in a loose forward!  The argument continues....
--
Jeremy Burrows

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Leigh Gillespi » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Fullback:  Brett Mullins (Canberra Raiders)
> Winger:    Sean Hoppe (Auckland Warriors)
> Centre:    Steve Renouf (Brisbane Broncos)
> Centre:    Andrew Ettinghausen (Cronulla Sharks)
> Winger:    Wendell Sailor (Brisbane Broncos)
> 5/8:       Laurie Daley (Canberra Raiders)
> Half:      Allan Langer (Brisbane Broncos)
> Lock:      Bradley Clyde (Canberra Raiders)
> 2nd Row:   Steve Kearney (Auckland Warriors)
> 2nd Row:   David Furner (Canberra Raiders)
> Prop:      Not too sure here!
> ***:    Steve Walters (North Queensland Cowboys)
> Prop:      Glenn Lazuras (Brisbane Broncos)

> Anyone disagree??

        Hmmm, thir*** positions, twelve players from the Australian SL
comp and the remaining position left vacant. Methinks a wider view of
what constitutes the *Rugby* League world is in order - with particular
reference directed towards the acronym "ARL".

Quote:
> I can't find any English player making a World team as they just
> were not good enough, as seen through the WCC.  Only players that
> could possibly scrape in would be Robinson (Wigan), Farrell (Wigan),
> or the two Paul brothers.

        The teams were not good enough. As the saying goes, one man does
not make a team. The quality of individual players can not necessarily be
judged merely by the quality of the team they play in. Their club sides
may not be good enough but make no mistake, the English could still pick a
top thir*** to give any side in the RL world a good run.

Catchya round, Leigh

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Leigh T. Gillespie                  *    "It takes leather balls      *
* Phone - Australia (077) 791219      *     to play Rugby!"             *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Richard Edli » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> > Fullback:  Matthew Ridge  (in place of Mullins)
> > Winger:    Brett Mullins  (in place of Hoppe)
> > OutCentre: Steve Renouf
> > InCentre:  Gary Connolly  (in place of ET)
> > Winger:    Jason Robinson (in place of Sailor)
> > 5/8:       Laurie Daley
> > Half:      Allan Langer
> > Lock:      Brad Fittler   (in place of Clyde)
> > 2nd Row:   Steve Kearney
> > 2nd Row:   Steve Menzies (in place of Furner)
> > Prop:      Paul Harragon
> > ***:    Steve Walters
> > Prop:      Glenn Lazarus

> > Res Back:  Wendell Sailor
> > Res 1/2:   Noel Goldthorpe
> > Res Prop:  Mark Carroll
> > Res Fwd:   Jason Croker
> I like your team.  Fittler though is OVERRATED in my books.

> Ashley

So do I - but even at half the player he is heralded as he deserves to
be there

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by Michael Burk » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Ashley Klein writes:

>> Anyone disagree??

>I note that your 'best' team contains 4 Canberra Raiders,
>1 ex-Raider, 4 Brisbane Broncos (including another ex-Raider),
>2 Auckland Warriors (including, you guessed it, another ex-Raider),
>and 1 Cronulla Shark.

>Would I be wrong in suspecting that you support Canberra?

Why would it even cross your mind?  Most of his selections stand up
regardless of which team he supports?  If he'd been a blind Raiders
supporter, he'd probably have included Noa Nadruku on one of the wings
and Ken Nagas on the other and who could seriously have contradicted
him?

You're a worry, JimS.  

Mike
************************************************************************
Mike Burke


Compuserve: 100351,2307
(Replies by email: delete ".spambuster")
************************************************************************

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by KRan » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

> >Ashley Klein writes:

> >> Anyone disagree??

> >I note that your 'best' team contains 4 Canberra Raiders,
> >1 ex-Raider, 4 Brisbane Broncos (including another ex-Raider),
> >2 Auckland Warriors (including, you guessed it, another ex-Raider),
> >and 1 Cronulla Shark.

> >Would I be wrong in suspecting that you support Canberra?

> Why would it even cross your mind?  Most of his selections stand up
> regardless of which team he supports?  If he'd been a blind Raiders
> supporter, he'd probably have included Noa Nadruku on one of the wings
> and Ken Nagas on the other and who could seriously have contradicted
> him?

> You're a worry, JimS.  

> Mike

Please tell me that this is some sort of joke, Mike, and you forgot the
smiley. Or are you really agreeing with the original poster's choice of
the 13?

--
K Rand, FF

 
 
 

BEST 13 PLAYERS IN RUGBY LEAGUE TODAY

Post by James Smi » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
Michael Burke writes:
>>Would I be wrong in suspecting that you support Canberra?

> Why would it even cross your mind?  Most of his selections stand up
> regardless of which team he supports?

If he had been genuine he would have put Robbie O'Davis at fullback
and Paul Harragon somewhere in the team. I've spoken to him via email
and he admits that it's his team, not the actual best team.

Jim
--
James J Smith             |                   The Vault
Faculty of Engineering    |              (looking for a home)
Newcastle University      |    Australian rugby league records and history