MONK

MONK

Post by Pat Daugher » Sat, 11 Sep 1993 04:01:41


It was definitely a good thing that they kept Monk and let Clark go. Monk
rarely drops a wide open pass or any pass for that matter. As in the
Phoenix/Phil game Clark was his usual self, dropping wideopen passes and then
he cries and acts mad at himself. He has been carrying on this charade for
a couple seasons now. I am definitely glad he is gone. He will eat it this
weekend when he goes against Green. Monk was not treated the way he should
have been by the Redskins. After all he's done over the years, they originally
made him 4th string without even offering a chance to prove he belongs. He
then goes out and shows all the doubters up. I bet many teams are kicking
themselves for not trying to sign Monk during the off season.

Next victim ---> Phoenix Cardinals
--

"Hey Man I Am Cool, I Am The Breeze" --KISS-"All Hell's Breaking Loose"
"Every Breath Leaves Me One Less To My Last" --Dream Theater "Pull Me Under"
***Pat's pick ------->W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol  ***

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Steve Willia » Sat, 11 Sep 1993 21:38:05

From the Washington Post, Sept. 9, 1993:

Ex-Redskins wide receiver Gary Clark, now with the Phoenix Cardinals,
will make his first return to RFK Stadium this Sunday when the Cardinals
play the Redskins.  He took a few shots at his former team, joked about
an expected one-on-one matchup with old friend Darrell Green and said,
all in all, he'd rather be in Phoenix.

When asked about facing Green this Sunday, Clark joked, "I refuse to
do it.  I told Coach [Joe] Bugel I wouldn't do it.  He's too good a
cornerback.  I'll pay Darrell off before the game.  I'll take his wife
to dinner.  I want him to leave me alone.  No, seriously, it's good
competition.  Darrell will win a few and hopefully I'll win a few.
Hopefully I'll win a few more.  He's one of the top three cornerbacks
and I hope to meet it."

Clark, who caught 549 balls in eight seasons with the Redskins, left
for a three-year, $6 million free agency deal with the Cardinals last
spring after becoming angry with the way Redskins General Manager Charley
Casserly was handling the talks.  He got more than half the $6 million
in salary and signing bonuses this season, and in the end, the Redskins
said they wouldn't have matched the offer if they'd been given the
opportunity.

While Clark was one of the most productive receivers in history, several
Redskins coaches and players had gotten tired of his tantrums and outbursts.
While Gibbs could tolerate Clark's shortcomings, Petitbon clearly wasn't
sorry to see Clark go and has told friends that he didn't know if he
could have tolerated the outbursts.

In addition, Mark Rypien also had differences with Clark at times. Sources
said that Clark frequently berated Rypien during games for not getting
him the ball more.  Rypien tried to oblige Clark to keep peace inside
the offensive family, and that resulted in him forcing some balls into
bad places.

"Gary's departure made life easier on Mark," a team personnel expert said.

However, there's also no questioning Clark's talent.  No Redskin made
more big plays the past five years and at times he appeared to be the
single unstoppable offensive weapon.

Clark caught five passes for 59 yards in his debut for the Cardinals
last Sunday.  However, he also dropped five balls during a 23-17 loss
in Philadelphia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

MONK

Post by SCIENTISTS - Brian Dorla » Sat, 11 Sep 1993 05:34:22

Quote:

>It was definitely a good thing that they kept Monk and let Clark go. Monk
>rarely drops a wide open pass or any pass for that matter. As in the
>Phoenix/Phil game Clark was his usual self, dropping wideopen passes and then
>he cries and acts mad at himself. He has been carrying on this charade for

I agree about Monk, but Clark is a great player.  He did (does?-don't
know) have a knack for dropping the first pass thrown to him during a
game, but he would often make up for it later with some amazing catch at
a critical point in the game.  Clark may have had a problem dropping the
ball during gamedays, but the Redskin Org certainly dropped the ball by
low-balling him during negotiations.  I don't think it does Redskin fans
any good to start hating Clark; he did great things for the team when he
was part of it.  I think all fans are going to have to get used to
former heroes now being "traitors" during this era of free agency.

Bryan

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Ronnie Townse » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 05:21:26

[ Quotes deleted ]

Quote:

>However, there's also no questioning Clark's talent.  No Redskin made
>more big plays the past five years and at times he appeared to be the
>single unstoppable offensive weapon.

>Clark caught five passes for 59 yards in his debut for the Cardinals
>last Sunday.  However, he also dropped five balls during a 23-17 loss
>in Philadelphia.

I keep reading this on the net but I frankly find this nearly impossible to
believe. Though I did not see the game I have watched Gary Clark since his
days in Jacksonville in the USFL... He does not "drop" passes.. at least not
many... Steve Buerlein was Clark's QB this weekend as I recall and he has
never been accused of being Joe Montana... Often what people call dropped
passes are low passes, overthrown passes and passes that arrive at the same
time as a 200 pound projectile... those aren't dropped passes .. that's called
good defense... or poor quarterbacking. If somebody dislikes Gary Clark then
that's fine there's no sense twisting the facts like this to make your point..
I'm sure I wouldn't be friends with him either if I knew him personally but
I'd love to have that competitive fire on my team!

Ronnie T.

--
Ronnie
-------------------------------------------------------------
Whenever the fates hear someone say, "It can't get any worse than this..."
They just laugh and double your misery!

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Timothy Je » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 07:00:16

Quote:

> I keep reading this on the net but I frankly find this nearly impossible to
> believe. Though I did not see the game I have watched Gary Clark since his
> days in Jacksonville in the USFL... He does not "drop" passes.. at least not
> many... Steve Buerlein was Clark's QB this weekend as I recall and he has
> never been accused of being Joe Montana... Often what people call dropped
> passes are low passes, overthrown passes and passes that arrive at the same
> time as a 200 pound projectile... those aren't dropped passes .. that's called
> good defense... or poor quarterbacking. If somebody dislikes Gary Clark then
> that's fine there's no sense twisting the facts like this to make your point..
> I'm sure I wouldn't be friends with him either if I knew him personally but
> I'd love to have that competitive fire on my team!

> Ronnie T.

   Sorry to break this to you, Ronnie, but I subjected myself to this game, and
I specifically remember at least 3 drops.  And when I say drops, I'm talking
about hitting him in the hands in stride or in the numbers on a hook with a
ball not having a ton of speed on it.  I readily agree that this was nothing
even vaguely like Clark's typical play, but last week he proved that on any
given day, even an excellent player can really, really suck.  Fortunately for
him, everyone realises that this performance was an aberation.  An equally bad
day by the Cardinal's long snapper resulted in that player getting his walking
papers.

Tim
--

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Steve Mansfie » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 07:07:19


|> >
|> [ Quotes deleted ]
|> >However, there's also no questioning Clark's talent.  No Redskin made
|> >more big plays the past five years and at times he appeared to be the
|> >single unstoppable offensive weapon.
|> >
|> >Clark caught five passes for 59 yards in his debut for the Cardinals
|> >last Sunday.  However, he also dropped five balls during a 23-17 loss
|> >in Philadelphia.
|>
|> I keep reading this on the net but I frankly find this nearly impossible to
|> believe. Though I did not see the game I have watched Gary Clark since his
|> days in Jacksonville in the USFL... He does not "drop" passes.. at least not
|> many... Steve Buerlein was Clark's QB this weekend as I recall and he has
|> never been accused of being Joe Montana... Often what people call dropped
|> passes are low passes, overthrown passes and passes that arrive at the same
|> time as a 200 pound projectile... those aren't dropped passes .. that's called
|> good defense... or poor quarterbacking. If somebody dislikes Gary Clark then
|> that's fine there's no sense twisting the facts like this to make your point..
|> I'm sure I wouldn't be friends with him either if I knew him personally but
|> I'd love to have that competitive fire on my team!

Well, I've never disliked Gary Clark at all, but he was *really* dropping
the passes last week.  They were on the money, well thrown passes, and he was
just letting them slip through his hands.

Steve Mansfield  | Once you're touched you stand alone to face the bitter fight

Dream Theater - Learning to Live

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Leonard J. Augustine, J » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 08:42:59

Sorry, Ronnie, but this is no sour grapes.  These weren't catches where
Clark had to reach up over his head or diving misses, they were right
on the numbers, hit him in the mitts passes that he simply *dropped*.
In particular, there was one drive where he dropped 3, I believe.  Now
in his defense, the drops did not turn out to be disastrous - the drive
I am talking about may have even been a scoring drive, and he did make
one or two nice catches (in particular, one where he dove and kept the
ball from hitting the ground on that same drive).  But let there be no
mistake, Clark *dropped* 4 or 5 easy balls against the Eagles.

---

    (Clever ASCII art withheld until I have company time to work on it.)
    ("I'm sorry, this post is the intellectual property of NBC")

 
 
 

MONK

Post by Ray Ch » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 00:09:31

[ About Gary Clark dropping passes ]

Quote:
>I keep reading this on the net but I frankly find this nearly impossible to
>believe. Though I did not see the game I have watched Gary Clark since his
>days in Jacksonville in the USFL... He does not "drop" passes..
>If somebody dislikes Gary Clark then
>that's fine there's no sense twisting the facts like this to make your point..
>I'm sure I wouldn't be friends with him either if I knew him personally but
>I'd love to have that competitive fire on my team!

Ronnie,

Sorry but you're wrong here.  I've been watching the Skins for a *long* time
and while I'm not a Clark fan, I'm certainly not a Clark-hater either.

He sometimes drops passes.  He'll drop passes that hit him square in the hands,
square in the chest, come in straight at his head, that catch him in stride,
whatever.

You name it, he'll drop it.  He always has.

And yesterday, he explained it on ESPN:  they showed a clip of a Buerlien pass
hitting Clark square in the chest, Clark flat-out dropps it and then pounds
the turf in frustration, and they asked Clark what gives?

And Clark said he just dropped it.  He said he doesn't look the ball into his
hands so sometimes he drops them.  He'd rather be looking around at the defense
so he can try and make a big play.  He didn't recommend this approach for young
receivers but he says he's 31 years old that's how he does it.

So, in essense, he's a gambler.  He risks dropping balls so that he's got a
better idea of where the defense is.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it
doesn't.

You can argue about whether or not what he does makes sense but you can't
argue with the fact that he drops balls that are perfectly catchable.

Personally, I think it's kind of a wash.  He's a streaky receiver.

When he's hot, he'll make big plays that will save the game but when he's
cold, he'll drop perfectly catchable balls and just kill drives.

He's a great receiver but if Tim McGee is as good as they say he is,
I'm not sorry to see him go.  From what I heard yesterday, it boiled
down to the fact that the Redskins weren't going to make him the first
or second-highest paid receiver on the team.  Given how good Ricky Sanders
is and how good Tim McGee is supposed to be, I can understand that.  So he
left for Phoenix.  Well, that's football and I wish him well.

        Ray Chen

--

-------------    200 Wheeler Road         Tel: (617) 273-0480
N I X D O R F    Burlington, MA 01803     Fax: (617) 221-0236
    SNI          USA                      uucp:  ...!uunet!sni-usa!chen

 
 
 

MONK

Post by (-:; » Sun, 19 Sep 1993 01:33:27

Quote:
>And Clark said he just dropped it.  He said he doesn't look the ball into his
>hands so sometimes he drops them...  
>So, in essense, he's a gambler.  He risks dropping balls so that he's got a
>better idea of where the defense is.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it
>doesn't.

This may be somewhat self-serving on Gary Clark's part.  He also drops passes
when he's completely past the defense and sprinting towards the goal line.
In this situation there's no need to watch the defense.  Just catch the ball
and run.  I think the explanation may be more mundane: Gary Clark is good at
getting open but his hands are only average.  Everyone can't have "hands
as soft as Roseanne's behind."  When you consider the total package, Gary
Clark has been a great receiver over the years.  So he doesn't have great
hands.  That's the breaks.

                                                me