RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Marty McMahon » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:40:55


Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even worse, usually vampires and zombies)  

I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

Marty

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Michael Pres » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:53:22



Quote:
> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even worse, usually vampires and zombies)  

> I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

I left SF behind yonks ago and moved to hard boiled detectives.
Similarly, however, what is peddled as mysteries these days are
actually romances, and not detective fiction.

As for your question I wholeheartedly commend to you
_Excession_ [1996] by Iain M. Banks. After that I got nuthin.

--
Michael Press

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by CheeseHusker do » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:45:05


Quote:
> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy. ?(even worse, usually vampires and zombies)

> I'm looking for some good SF to read. ?Anybody got some good suggestions. ?I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.) ?Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years? ?Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

> Marty

It's early, so my breighn hasn't really started yet, but what about
John Brunner or Roger Zelazny?  Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear and Orson
Scott Card are modern writers I've really liked

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Marty McMahon » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:56:18

Quote:

> John Brunner or Roger Zelazny?  Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear and Orson

> Scott Card are modern writers I've really liked

Zelazny is entertaining though what I've read of his is fantasy.  I've read most of Card's work; liked him too.

I remember reading the three Foundation novels written by the "B" writers--Bear, Brin and ?  I remember that I liked two of them and hated one.  I think it was Brin that I hated, but I always get nervous about any of the three.  Might have to try one though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by CheeseHusker do » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:14:00


Quote:

> > John Brunner or Roger Zelazny? ?Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear and Orson

> > Scott Card are modern writers I've really liked

> Zelazny is entertaining though what I've read of his is fantasy. ?I've read most of Card's work; liked him too.

> I remember reading the three Foundation novels written by the "B" writers--Bear, Brin and ? ?I remember that I liked two of them and hated one. ?I think it was Brin that I hated, but I always get nervous about any of the three. ?Might have to try one though.

> Thanks for the suggestions.

Read Brunner at all?  60s era - and some deep stuff - "Maze of Stars",
"Stand on Zanzibar" and "Shockwave Rider" are excellent reads.

The other B is Greg Benford - also a good writer.  Brin is my least
favorite of the 3.

Idea - used book store - look for short story collections - oftentimes
a good introduction to authors you might not be familiar with.  The
boy is wading thru some of mine these days and thoroughly enjoying,
altho he's more partial to the military SciFi by the likes of
Pournelle and Haldeman (who editted some terrific short story
collections)

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by xyzz » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 22:25:51


Quote:
> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy. ?(even worse, usually vampires and zombies)

> I'm looking for some good SF to read. ?Anybody got some good suggestions. ?I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.) ?Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years? ?Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

> Marty

One author I don't see mentioned is Vernor Vinge.  He was pretty
prolific in the 80s and 90s and he invented ***punk but William
Gibson got the credit.

If you can find it, True Names and Other Dangers is good.  As is A
Fire Upon the Deep (if you like involved, highly conceptual space
operas)

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Kyle T. Jone » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 08:07:00


Quote:
> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even worse, usually vampires and zombies)

> I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

> Marty

I'm gonna give you legit details, Marty.  I was once like you - had read
the classics, drifted away from scifi for a while, have always hated
that scifi and fantasy were organized together at bookstores and
libraries.  Came back determined to search out the "modern classics",
the authors of our day that are putting out "classic" quality material.

I'm listing these in order of awesomeness:

Whatever you do, don't miss out on Greg Egan - Diaspora is particularly
good.  Definitely not light, though.

As mentioned upthread, Excession (Iain M. Banks) is very good - in fact,
the entire Culture series is pretty darn good.  And pretty light.  And
in no particular order, so just dive in wherever.

Definitely read something from Stross - start with Accelerando.

Maybe you've read them because they're older, but Barnes' Meme War books
are pretty interesting.

Along those lines, Stephenson's Snowcrash is also pretty awesome.  Young
Lady's Primer (I think, going by memory on these) is also decent.

Robinson's Mars trilogy is damn good.

Really liked Reynolds early stuff - Revelation Space, Chasm City,
Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap.

Cheers.

--
Too bad. Read the manual. If this stuff were easy
we would not get the big bucks. -- Michael Press, June 1st 2012

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Marty McMahon » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:58:08

Quote:

> Read Brunner at all?  60s era - and some deep stuff - "Maze of Stars",

> "Stand on Zanzibar" and "Shockwave Rider" are excellent reads.

I found Brunner and Stephenson at the used book store today.  The Brunner books were so old they were $1 each.  That was cool.  

Will let you know when I get around to reading.

Marty

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Marty McMahon » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:58:53

Quote:


> > Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even worse, usually vampires and zombies)

> > I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

> > Marty

> I'm gonna give you legit details, Marty.  I was once like you - had read

> the classics, drifted away from scifi for a while, have always hated

> that scifi and fantasy were organized together at bookstores and

> libraries.  Came back determined to search out the "modern classics",

> the authors of our day that are putting out "classic" quality material.

> I'm listing these in order of awesomeness:

> Whatever you do, don't miss out on Greg Egan - Diaspora is particularly

> good.  Definitely not light, though.

> As mentioned upthread, Excession (Iain M. Banks) is very good - in fact,

> the entire Culture series is pretty darn good.  And pretty light.  And

> in no particular order, so just dive in wherever.

> Definitely read something from Stross - start with Accelerando.

> Maybe you've read them because they're older, but Barnes' Meme War books

> are pretty interesting.

> Along those lines, Stephenson's Snowcrash is also pretty awesome.  Young

> Lady's Primer (I think, going by memory on these) is also decent.

> Robinson's Mars trilogy is damn good.

> Really liked Reynolds early stuff - Revelation Space, Chasm City,

> Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap.

Cool.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check them out.
 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Dave Withro » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:32:49



Quote:
> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the
> SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even
> worse, usually vampires and zombies)  

> I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good
> suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov,
> Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some
> really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about
> James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

Dispite what others have said I like David Brin's stuff, the Uplift Series
is excellent. Also, check out Dan Simmons Hyperion series. I'm reading the
last book now. Read Hyperion about a month ago, It is now in my top 5, a
fantastic story.

-Dave Withrow

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Chris Miho » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:53:45

Quote:

> Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably noticed that the SF/Fantasy section of book stores is now dominated by fantasy.  (even worse, usually vampires and zombies)  

> I'm looking for some good SF to read.  Anybody got some good suggestions.  I've read most of the core classic writers (Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Niven, Clarke, etc.)  Who's been writing some really good stuff in the last few years?  Anyone know anything about James Corey, Kim Stanley Robinson or Alastair Reynolds?

> Marty

Read the Gap Cycle by Stephen R Donaldson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_Cycle

Absolutely amazing stuff. After that, the Ilium/Olympos series and/or the Hyperion series, both by Dan Simmons.

 
 
 

RSFC book corner: Science Fiction edition

Post by Marty McMahon » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:02:42

Have read Gap. Donaldson's story-telling at its best. Hard to believe a story can be that compelling with no likable characters

That's a couple of picks on Hyperion. Will have to check it out