Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Steve Casbur » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:27:12


      So Houston scores with 12:50 left in the game to go up 34-17 at
home on East Carolina.

      A minute later, East Carolina scores a touchdown. 34-24.

      A couple of minutes after that, East Carolina kicks a field goal.
34-27.

      During the field goal conversion, Houston DL Ryan Huffman is
penalized for a personal foul. He argues the call with the ref, and is
penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. A total of 30 yards in penalties,
assessed on the kickoff.

      But it's not over yet...a couple of Huffman's teammates confront
him as he is leaving the field -- he shoves a couple of them away. The
co-defensive coordinator starts screaming at him as he gets to the
sideline -- Huffman pushes him, and has to be pulled away by teammates
as he tries to get a punch in. Another coach (I think it was the
defensive line coach) starts berating Huffman as a couple of players
"guide" Huffman away from the sideline towards the bench, and Huffman
shoves *that* coach and***s back to take a swing at him. Finally,
Huffman goes to the locker room.

      (It's a damn shame I didn't have the same seat I had for the
Tulane game -- if I had, all this would have happened 10-20 feet in
front of me.)

      On the ensuing kickoff, East Carolina attempts an onside kick from
the Houston 35; Houston recovers, and somehow manages to hold East
Carolina to one touchdown during the remainder of regulation, before
losing to the Pirates in triple overtime.

      This season will probably be Dana Dimel's last as UH head coach.

                               Steve

      ...on the upside: the tailgating couldn't be better!...

--

    "Shut up he explained" - Ring Lardner, Jr.

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Trevor Zion Bauknigh » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:56:41



Quote:
>       ...on the upside: the tailgating couldn't be better!...

Unless, somehow, it weren't in Houston.

Trev

--
"I think Trevor is an idot.  Just the kind of robot President***ton likes.  
Supid people!" - Husker Kev

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Daryl D. Spillman » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:37:19


Quote:

>       This season will probably be Dana Dimel's last as UH head coach.

I read some stuff in the Chronicle about how the UH athletic department is
so far in the red, if they don't get better attendance at the football
games, they may drop football alltogether because they can't afford to buy
out Dimel's contract and hire a new coach.

Any substance to that?  I never thought I would miss Bill Yoeman.

--
------------------
Daryl D. Spillmann
------------------

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Steve Casbur » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:18:49



Quote:

> Steve Casburn:

> >       This season will probably be Dana Dimel's last as UH head coach.

> I read some stuff in the Chronicle about how the UH athletic department
> is so far in the red, if they don't get better attendance at the football
> games, they may drop football alltogether because they can't afford to
> buy out Dimel's contract and hire a new coach.

> Any substance to that?  I never thought I would miss Bill Yoeman.

      Thomas Gray could give you a better answer than I could, but...

      UH does need better attendance (13,000 for East Carolina, and
<10,000 can be expected for their next two games).

      Buying out Dimel's contract will be expensive (I've heard rumors
than there are alumni who have pledged the money, but I'll believe that
when I see it).

      I wonder why Dave Maggard took the Houston AD job. If he wanted a
challenge, he certainly has one now. It will be interesting to see how
the next two months play out.

                              Steve

--

    "Shut up he explained" - Ring Lardner, Jr.

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Clockwork Orang » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:23:01

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea, Steve Casburn

Quote:
> ...on the upside: the tailgating couldn't be better!...

Dood! Chuy's caters??

--
Cheers,
--Jeff
Let's Go Orange!

Read the FAQ. It was wrote for idots like yew.
http://www.rsfckers.com/faq.htm

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Thomas B. Gra » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:27:19

I haven't been able to respond to this thread until now... Apologies.


Quote:



>> Steve Casburn:

>> >       This season will probably be Dana Dimel's last as UH head coach.

>> I read some stuff in the Chronicle about how the UH athletic department
>> is so far in the red, if they don't get better attendance at the football
>> games, they may drop football alltogether because they can't afford to
>> buy out Dimel's contract and hire a new coach.

>> Any substance to that?  I never thought I would miss Bill Yoeman.

The stuff in the Chronicle came courtesy of sports columnist Dale Robertson,
who is probably best known for the time in the late 70s when he became Dan
Pastorini's punching bag in the Astrodome locker room. This hack has been
writing the same exaggerated, dire predictions and for UH football for the
last ten years. Don't put much stock in what he says.

Ironically, with the exception of football, things at the UH athletics
department are as good as they've been in a long time; men's basketball is
picking up, women's basketball is very competitive, baseball is a national
power, etc. But football is the big revenue driver, and it's in a hole right
now. The story is that season ticket sales haven't been this low since the
early 60s (i.e. before Bill Yeoman) and attendance just keeps getting worse;
the casual fan left a long time ago (as is the norm in fairweather sports
town like Houston) as more and more longtime fans are beginning to become
disinterested, too, as the prospect of twelve losing seasons in eigh***
years takes its toll. The tailgating has become the main attraction of
Saturday afternoons on Cullen Blvd, not the game itself. While I don't think
that UH is going to drop football regardless of what Dale Robertson writes,
things could become critical once the new NCAA attendance requirements go
into effect in a couple of years.

Quote:
>       Buying out Dimel's contract will be expensive (I've heard rumors
> than there are alumni who have pledged the money, but I'll believe that
> when I see it).

Apparently, the buyout clause in Dimel's contract states that UH owes Dimel
only half his full salary if they choose to buy him out, which makes it
easier to do so. Also, I've heard from generally reliable sources that some
of the deep pockets have chipped in to make this happen. Maggard, for his
part, certainly hasn't given Dimel much of a vote of confidence.

I like Dana Dimel as a person, and he has by all accounts been a good
recruiter, but I really doubt that he's going to get the job done here. I've
seen a lot of crappy games in the 20+ years I've been watching UH football,
but last Saturday's game was probably the most demoralizing game I've ever
witnessed. I would have been happier if the Cougars had just gotten their
asses stomped 73-3. When a team plays reasonably well in for three quarters
and then absolutely *quits* with thir*** minutes left on the clock, and
when a player is taking swings at other players and coaches on the sidelines
(Huffman has since been suspended for the remainder of the season), it's
pretty clear that there's a serious coaching problem. The game was awful; I
feel bad that Casburn made the effort to come over to campus to see that
***.

One thing I will give Dimel credit for is reopening the connections to the
local high schools that Helton neglected, and the team itself really is more
talented than its record indicates. If we can get somebody in here who can
keep those connections open, as well as be a halfway decent gameday coach,
then there's no reason why UH couldn't at least be something approaching
competitive and start putting a few more people back into the seats.

But I think Dimel's done come December. His teams (Wyoming as well as here)
have a history of collapsing on him in November, and I don't see another
winnable game on Houston's schedule this season.

Thomas B. Gray                      :                     Houston, Texas

"Damnit, Thomas, all you care about is beer, football and the internet!"
                                                     -my girlfriend Lori

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Daryl D. Spillman » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:30:20



Quote:

> But I think Dimel's done come December. His teams (Wyoming as well as
> here) have a history of collapsing on him in November, and I don't see
> another winnable game on Houston's schedule this season.

That's too bad.  I was looking a UH's record and was looking forward to their
chances of getting a bowl bid.

--
------------------
Daryl D. Spillmann
------------------

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by andrew smit » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:08:26


Quote:

> > But I think Dimel's done come December.

They should replace him with Coach Casbjork.

a.

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Steve Casbur » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:27:09



Quote:

> [...] The tailgating has become the main attraction of Saturday
> afternoons on Cullen Blvd, not the game itself.  [...]  The game was
> awful; I feel bad that Casburn made the effort to come over to
> campus to see that ***.

      Dude...the tailgate was worth it!

                            Steve

--

    "Shut up he explained" - Ring Lardner, Jr.

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Jonathan Sad » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:21:19


Quote:
> I haven't been able to respond to this thread until now... Apologies.





> >> Steve Casburn:

> >> >       This season will probably be Dana Dimel's last as UH head coach.

> >> I read some stuff in the Chronicle about how the UH athletic department
> >> is so far in the red, if they don't get better attendance at the football
> >> games, they may drop football alltogether because they can't afford to
> >> buy out Dimel's contract and hire a new coach.

> >> Any substance to that?  I never thought I would miss Bill Yoeman.

> The stuff in the Chronicle came courtesy of sports columnist Dale Robertson,
> who is probably best known for the time in the late 70s when he became Dan
> Pastorini's punching bag in the Astrodome locker room. This hack has been
> writing the same exaggerated, dire predictions and for UH football for the
> last ten years. Don't put much stock in what he says.

      FYI, Robertson is a UH graduate....

Quote:
> But I think Dimel's done come December. His teams (Wyoming as well as here)
> have a history of collapsing on him in November, and I don't see another
> winnable game on Houston's schedule this season.

      How does Dimel's UH record compare with Helton's?

Jonathan Sadow

The William Marsh Rice University
The Eternal Southwest Conference Champion
The academic and athletic flagship of the Western Athletic Conference
The highest student-athlete graduation rate in NCAA Division I-A
The highest-ranked U.S. News & World Report Tier 1 school in Texas
The future home of the George W. Bush Presidential Library

"[E]veryone told me that understanding the playbook was hard, but I
thought 'I'm a smart guy - I went to Rice'...." - Philadelphia Eagles
defensive end Ndukwe Kalu, ESPN Radio, February 10, 2001

 
 
 

Houston Cougars: disintegrating

Post by Thomas B. Gra » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:12:37

----------

Quote:

>       FYI, Robertson is a UH graduate....

Yep. He wrote for the Daily Cougar while he was here, too.

Thomas B. Gray                      :                     Houston, Texas

"Damnit, Thomas, all you care about is beer, football and the internet!"
                                                     -my girlfriend Lori