Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Curt Fennel » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00


DOLPHINS NEWS:

        The Dolphins announced today that they have placed quarterback
Craig Erickson on injured reserve with a sprained elbow.  According to
a report in the Sun-Sentinel, there has been some controversy on the
team about the extent of his injury, but a noted elbow specialist has
examined Erickson and stated that Erickson has ligament damage in his
right elbow.

        Placing Erickson on injured reserve means that he will be
unavailable for the rest of the season.  This leaves an open roster
spot for the Dolphins and could signal the signing of a veteran
quarterback to add depth to the team.  The Sun-Sentinel is speculating
that a likely candidate for the job would be Mark Rypien, who has won
a SuperBowl with the Washington Redskins, but who was staying out of
football this year to care for his son, who was very sick, but has
since passed away.

        This year, Erickson started training camp as the number 2
quarterback, but his performance was so bad as the backup that he was
demoted to third string behind Damon Huard.  During pre-season games
this summer, he was 12 of 29 for 93 yards with no touchdowns and 2
interceptions.  That works out to a quarterback rating of 21.2.

        In contrast, during the pre-season in 1997, Erickson completed
35 of 66 passes for 480 yards with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions.
That gave him a quarterback rating of 91.7 for the summer of 1997.

COMMENTS:

        The loss of Erickson is no loss.   He has been completely
ineffective all year and would not have been an asset in a game, if he
had been forced to play.

        The real question is who (if anyone) they will bring in to
replace him.  Personally, I don't think that there's much point in
bringing in another quarterback at this time, because if Marino goes
down and Damon Huard can't do the job, the season is pretty much
over.

        I'd rather see them let Todd Doxzon be the emergency
quarterback and have him throw passes in practice and have them see if
they can sign a wide receiver or a defensive back.  

        But, who knows?  Perhaps they will be able to sign someone who
can make a difference.  Maybe they can even bring back John Dutton,
who already knows the system and who didn't get much of a chance.

RELATED LINKS:

Press Release: Erickson Placed on Injured Reserve
http://secure.pwr.com/pr/pr_263.htm

Sun-Sentinel: Erickson Gone for Season
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/daily/detail/0,1136,65000000000812...

ESPN.com: Miami's Erickson out for season
http://espnet.sportszone.com/nfl/news/1998/981028/00906598.html

Curt


===============================================================
[           My Dolphins Page - http://www.phins.com/          ]
[ Dolphins Mailing Lists - For more info on my Dolphins email ]

===============================================================
--

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by jak.. » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> DOLPHINS NEWS:
> How about Jim Kelly?
>    The Dolphins announced today that they have placed quarterback
> Craig Erickson on injured reserve with a sprained elbow.  According to
> a report in the Sun-Sentinel, there has been some controversy on the
> team about the extent of his injury, but a noted elbow specialist has
> examined Erickson and stated that Erickson has ligament damage in his
> right elbow.

>    Placing Erickson on injured reserve means that he will be
> unavailable for the rest of the season.  This leaves an open roster
> spot for the Dolphins and could signal the signing of a veteran
> quarterback to add depth to the team.  The Sun-Sentinel is speculating
> that a likely candidate for the job would be Mark Rypien, who has won
> a SuperBowl with the Washington Redskins, but who was staying out of
> football this year to care for his son, who was very sick, but has
> since passed away.

>    This year, Erickson started training camp as the number 2
> quarterback, but his performance was so bad as the backup that he was
> demoted to third string behind Damon Huard.  During pre-season games
> this summer, he was 12 of 29 for 93 yards with no touchdowns and 2
> interceptions.  That works out to a quarterback rating of 21.2.

>    In contrast, during the pre-season in 1997, Erickson completed
> 35 of 66 passes for 480 yards with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions.
> That gave him a quarterback rating of 91.7 for the summer of 1997.

> COMMENTS:

>    The loss of Erickson is no loss.   He has been completely
> ineffective all year and would not have been an asset in a game, if he
> had been forced to play.

>    The real question is who (if anyone) they will bring in to
> replace him.  Personally, I don't think that there's much point in
> bringing in another quarterback at this time, because if Marino goes
> down and Damon Huard can't do the job, the season is pretty much
> over.

>    I'd rather see them let Todd Doxzon be the emergency
> quarterback and have him throw passes in practice and have them see if
> they can sign a wide receiver or a defensive back.

>    But, who knows?  Perhaps they will be able to sign someone who
> can make a difference.  Maybe they can even bring back John Dutton,
> who already knows the system and who didn't get much of a chance.

> RELATED LINKS:

> Press Release: Erickson Placed on Injured Reserve
> http://secure.pwr.com/pr/pr_263.htm

> Sun-Sentinel: Erickson Gone for Season
> http://www.sun-

sentinel.com/sports/daily/detail/0,1136,6500000000081242,00.html

Quote:

> ESPN.com: Miami's Erickson out for season
> http://espnet.sportszone.com/nfl/news/1998/981028/00906598.html

> Curt


> ===============================================================
> [           My Dolphins Page - http://www.phins.com/          ]
> [ Dolphins Mailing Lists - For more info on my Dolphins email ]

> ===============================================================
> --

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own    

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Jay Stallin » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

not mark rypien.  no.  no former redskins qb's, please.  they all suck.
-j

--
http://SportToday.org/~toybox
"the internet is such a piece of ***sometimes."  -bo williams.

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by jupit » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>>        The real question is who (if anyone) they will bring in to
>>replace him.  Personally, I don't think that there's much point in
>>bringing in another quarterback at this time, because if Marino goes
>>down and Damon Huard can't do the job, the season is pretty much
>>over.

Curt, I don't see the logic in this statement at all.  Certainly, if
the Dolphins don't bring in another QB, and Marino gets hurt, and
Huard can't do the job, the season will be over.  Not even JJ and
Kippy can design an offense with no QB.

However, if the Dolphins do bring in another QB, they don't have to
rely on Huard if Marino gets hurt.  Erickson has been totally
ineffective in his Dolphins career.  I'd much rather see someone like
Rypien at #2 for Miami.

--
Greg

http://www.mastnet.net/~jupiter

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Curt Fenne » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
(jupiter) writes:

>>>    The real question is who (if anyone) they will bring in to
>>>replace him.  Personally, I don't think that there's much point in
>>>bringing in another quarterback at this time, because if Marino goes
>>>down and Damon Huard can't do the job, the season is pretty much
>>>over.

> Curt, I don't see the logic in this statement at all.  

Well, I don't think that being a fan has much to do with logic.
That's why I prefaced my remark with "Personally,..".

However, to answer your question - with the offense performing the way
it is, I don't believe that there is a quarterback available who can
join the team now, learn the offense and perform adequately enough to
propel this team to the playoffs.   If they're going to fill the
roster spot, I'd rather see them use it for someone like Nate Jacquet
or Todd Doxzon who might have a chance to contribute on special teams
or at receiver, but I don't see any point in adding a quarterback who
will almost certainly never play this year.

Quote:
> Certainly, if the Dolphins don't bring in another QB, and Marino
> gets hurt, and Huard can't do the job, the season will be over.

Yes, but my point is that I believe the season will be over if that
happens, no matter who they sign.

Quote:
> I'd much rather see someone like Rypien at #2 for Miami.

The problem I have with that is that if they do sign Rypien, he'd have
to learn the offense, and more importantly, get used to his receivers
before he'd be effective.  I figure that that would take at least 4
weeks to get to the point where he could perform even adequately and
with the Dolphins' offense, an "adequate" quarterback is not going to
be good enough.   That's assuming that Mark Rypien would even want to
play.

If they're going to bring in a quarterback, I'd rather have them
bring back John Dutton, whom I don't think got enough of a chance to
show what he could do.

But if Marino goes down and Huard can't perform, I think we'd have to
face the fact that the season would be over.  

--
Curt


===============================================================
[           My Dolphins Page - http://www.phins.com/          ]
[ Dolphins Mailing Lists - For more info on my Dolphins email ]

===============================================================

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Mauro Clement » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi everybody from Italy.

I think that Miami has to make a choice for a quarterback being able to
play also in the years to come, because, alas, Dan is not eternal. I
noticed from Infobeat (2 or 3 days ago). that Carolina waived Kerry
Collins. I think that JJ could keep the young gun happy and in control,
and that a qb like him may be a valuable resource for the future. On the
other side I hope that Dan will play still two or three years more,
because of his unique approach, intensity and skill.
Can you provide some feedback about this ?

Greetings from Italy.

I apologize in advance for any mistake.

Mauro

Congratulations to Curt Fennel for his great site phins.com

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Andrew Kelle » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> . that Carolina waived Kerry
> Collins. I think that JJ could keep the young gun happy and in control,
> and that a qb like him may be a valuable resource for the future. On the

Too late, Kerry Collins is with the New Orleans Saints...

Go Steelers Woo-Hoo:-)

AK

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Chris Cru » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi everybody from Italy.

>I think that Miami has to make a choice for a quarterback being able to
>play also in the years to come, because, alas, Dan is not eternal. I
>noticed from Infobeat (2 or 3 days ago). that Carolina waived Kerry
>Collins. I think that JJ could keep the young gun happy and in control,
>and that a qb like him may be a valuable resource for the future. On the
>other side I hope that Dan will play still two or three years more,
>because of his unique approach, intensity and skill.
>Can you provide some feedback about this ?

>Greetings from Italy.

>I apologize in advance for any mistake.

>Mauro

>Congratulations to Curt Fennel for his great site phins.com

That's still the $25,000 question.  What's gonna happen after the Marino
era?  Damon Huard is still an unproven commodity.  He may be the answer.
The big factor is that if it is gonna be a young gun, recent history has
shown that it takes a while for young QBs to get up to speed.  Look at
Manning, Leaf, Favre.  Marino was one of the few to make an impact right
away.  I'm optimistic and feel that Dan still has a couple of years left in
him although I'll be the first to admit that his performance has definitely
declined the last couple of seasons (new scheme, mediocre receivers, lack of
mobility, etc).

Good to hear from Italy,
Chris

 
 
 

Dolphins News: Erickson Placed on IR

Post by Chris Potock » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
> That's still the $25,000 question.  What's gonna happen after the Marino
> era?  Damon Huard is still an unproven commodity.  He may be the answer.
> The big factor is that if it is gonna be a young gun, recent history has
> shown that it takes a while for young QBs to get up to speed.  Look at
> Manning, Leaf, Favre.  Marino was one of the few to make an impact right
> away.  I'm optimistic and feel that Dan still has a couple of years left
in
> him although I'll be the first to admit that his performance has
definitely
> declined the last couple of seasons (new scheme, mediocre receivers, lack
of
> mobility, etc).

No question, it takes a few years for young QBs to completely understand
the NFL.  That's why they hold clipboards at first.  With this upcoming
draft being very deep in QBs, this is the time to invest a #1/#2 pick on a
QB and groom him for Marino's retirement.  I still like the possibility of
Brock Huard, but McNown may fall as well.  If Miami slumps, McNabb could
slip to them, but that's unlikely.  Besides, WR looks fairly deep so Miami
could get a good one in round 2.
                                Chris