"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Raider Da » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:31:25


Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor passed away suddenly at his home tonight. Traylor,
who was 42, got his start as Jim Cornette's bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers in 1986
after he left his job as a prison guard in Marietta, GA.

After leaving Crockett promotions over pay, his real life job became is gimmick
as the Big Bossman, the evil prison guard, who had a big run with Hulk Hogan.

He was also a major star with All Japan Pro Wrestling as Big Bubba in the 90s,
before returning to the WWF in recent years.

At this point his death is a mystery. He had not been complaining of feeling
bad, other than a bad knee. His wife found him in a room tonight and he wasn't
breathing. Paramedica were unable to revive him.

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by John A Witz » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:46:10

RIP Bubba

the man had a big hand in turning jim cornette into a LEGEND...easily my
favorite wrestling manager of all time

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Scott Blai » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:01:46



Quote:
> RIP Bubba

> the man had a big hand in turning jim cornette into a LEGEND...easily my
> favorite wrestling manager of all time

His cage match against  Hogan on Saturday Nights Main Event back in the day
was awesome.  He took that superplex off the cage like a real man

Scott

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Scott Blai » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:04:43


Quote:
> Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor passed away suddenly at his home tonight.
> Traylor,
> who was 42, got his start as Jim Cornette's bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers in
> 1986
> after he left his job as a prison guard in Marietta, GA.

> After leaving Crockett promotions over pay, his real life job became is
> gimmick
> as the Big Bossman, the evil prison guard, who had a big run with Hulk
> Hogan.

> He was also a major star with All Japan Pro Wrestling as Big Bubba in the
> 90s,
> before returning to the WWF in recent years.

> At this point his death is a mystery. He had not been complaining of
> feeling
> bad, other than a bad knee. His wife found him in a room tonight and he
> wasn't
> breathing. Paramedica were unable to revive him.

In other related news, John Tenta aka Earthquake, Avalanche, Shark, & Golga
is battling cancer so I'm sure we'll be seeing another obituary on him
eventually.

Scott

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by mike » Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:29:06


Quote:



> > Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor passed away suddenly at his home tonight.
> > Traylor,
> > who was 42, got his start as Jim Cornette's bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers
in
> > 1986
> > after he left his job as a prison guard in Marietta, GA.

> > After leaving Crockett promotions over pay, his real life job became is
> > gimmick
> > as the Big Bossman, the evil prison guard, who had a big run with Hulk
> > Hogan.

> > He was also a major star with All Japan Pro Wrestling as Big Bubba in
the
> > 90s,
> > before returning to the WWF in recent years.

> > At this point his death is a mystery. He had not been complaining of
> > feeling
> > bad, other than a bad knee. His wife found him in a room tonight and he
> > wasn't
> > breathing. Paramedica were unable to revive him.

> In other related news, John Tenta aka Earthquake, Avalanche, Shark, &
Golga
> is battling cancer so I'm sure we'll be seeing another obituary on him
> eventually.

> Scott

Does anyone remember how Earthquake actually became a wrestler in the
WWF/WWE?  I can't remember, but I think they had him as a member of the
audience and some wrestler was making fun of him.  Anyone remember?

I just found out that Yokozuna (aka Rodney Anoia) passed away.  I assume
that it was last year on October 22nd, although the article didn't mention
the year.

Mike

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by John A Witz » Sat, 25 Sep 2004 05:52:35

yep, that was the storyline for how tenta (earthquake) got started
working for mcmahon...innocent guy in the audience that just happened to
be a behemoth, ala' hillbilly jim...it's been years since i followed the
sport like i wish i still could but i'm pretty sure that i remember
tenta's first gig was in the minneapolis-based AWA...don't recall the
character name he used there, so maybe i'm wrong...if anyone knows for
sure, post it
 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Scott Blai » Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:54:42



Quote:
> yep, that was the storyline for how tenta (earthquake) got started
> working for mcmahon...innocent guy in the audience that just happened to
> be a behemoth, ala' hillbilly jim...it's been years since i followed the
> sport like i wish i still could but i'm pretty sure that i remember
> tenta's first gig was in the minneapolis-based AWA...don't recall the
> character name he used there, so maybe i'm wrong...if anyone knows for
> sure, post it

My memory may abit off but I think it was an angle where Dino Bravo & The
Ultimate Warrior were involved in one of their house show/Prime Time
Wrestling feuds (the kind of fued that wasnt big enough to be blown off on
PPV back then so it just ran the house show circuit).  Bravo and Warrior
were doing some test of strengh contest and Bravo pulled Tenta the "fan" out
of the audience.  Bravo did a bunch of pushups with Tenta sitting on him and
then when it was Warriors turn Tenta sat on his back and then squashed him.
So began the career of The Canadian Earthquake.

Not sure about his AWA roots though.

and yes I have watched ALOT of wrestling in my younger years

Scott

 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by John A Witz » Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:39:10

scott...i was thinking of earthquake ferris, who did some time in the
AWA after getting his start with the memphis based mid southern
wrestling, best known for lawler/kaufman...obviously he wasn't the same
guy as tenta...same here though, it's been years...too bad this "sport"
is a mere shell of its former self, just like the nba is
 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Raider Da » Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:23:28

Quote:
>From: JWitzke
>yep, that was the storyline for how tenta (earthquake) got started
>working for mcmahon...innocent guy in the audience that just happened to
>be a behemoth, ala' hillbilly jim...it's been years since i followed the
>sport like i wish i still could but i'm pretty sure that i remember
>tenta's first gig was in the minneapolis-based AWA...

Your sports (and fake sports) knowledge never ceases to amaze me..... and that
compliment is coming from someone who knows useless trivia about EVERYTHING
sports related.
 
 
 

"Big Boss Man" takes a dirt nap

Post by Scrapiron Bry » Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:27:46

Yokozuna died on October 23rd 2000.

Last I heard Earthquake was beating his cancer so hopefully we can
hold the obituary for a long time to come.

For anybody who is interested I have a report of Earthquakes debut
here:
http://www.warriorcentral.net/strongman.html

Bryan

Quote:





> > > Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor passed away suddenly at his home tonight.
> > > Traylor,
> > > who was 42, got his start as Jim Cornette's bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers
>  in
> > > 1986
> > > after he left his job as a prison guard in Marietta, GA.

> > > After leaving Crockett promotions over pay, his real life job became is
> > > gimmick
> > > as the Big Bossman, the evil prison guard, who had a big run with Hulk
> > > Hogan.

> > > He was also a major star with All Japan Pro Wrestling as Big Bubba in
>  the
> > > 90s,
> > > before returning to the WWF in recent years.

> > > At this point his death is a mystery. He had not been complaining of
> > > feeling
> > > bad, other than a bad knee. His wife found him in a room tonight and he
> > > wasn't
> > > breathing. Paramedica were unable to revive him.

> > In other related news, John Tenta aka Earthquake, Avalanche, Shark, &
>  Golga
> > is battling cancer so I'm sure we'll be seeing another obituary on him
> > eventually.

> > Scott

> Does anyone remember how Earthquake actually became a wrestler in the
> WWF/WWE?  I can't remember, but I think they had him as a member of the
> audience and some wrestler was making fun of him.  Anyone remember?

> I just found out that Yokozuna (aka Rodney Anoia) passed away.  I assume
> that it was last year on October 22nd, although the article didn't mention
> the year.

> Mike