Lebron James Critics

Lebron James Critics

Post by shiit » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:01:33


Racist!

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748...

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Glen Heima » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:48:18


Quote:
> Racist!

> http://SportToday.org/

The biggest racist is the ***ing interviewer who brought up the subject in
his question.

Heiman

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by J.C. Watts Ensli » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:55:52


Quote:
> Racist!

> http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748...

Now I'm going to defend James here.  He said that "race played a
factor."  He didn't say it was the only factor....he didn't call his
critics racist.

To be fair, I think he's probably accurate.  Obviously most of the
criticism is due to the amateurish way he handled his free agency,
culminating in the way he announced his intentions on national
television.  However, let's do a compare and contrast with the way
that Brett Favre left Green Bay...both threw their organizations under
the bus...both used their celebrity to try to get on the public's good
side.

But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

Jon

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Google Beta Use » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 22:58:16


Quote:
> But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
equal measure.  I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized".  Do
you mean by fans, or by the media?

Biggest gainer from the James thing is Kobe.  Surely James has
surpassed him in being disliked by NBA fans? Reasons for disliking
Kobe were always dumb anyway i.e. "he's stuckup.  You can just tell,
look at him".

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by J.C. Watts Ensli » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:01:45


Quote:

> > But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> > lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> > Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
> equal measure. ?I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized". ?Do
> you mean by fans, or by the media?

Both.  I think Favre has been treated much different than James.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Pauli » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:03:44


Quote:

> > But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> > lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> > Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
> equal measure. ?I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized". ?Do
> you mean by fans, or by the media?

> Biggest gainer from the James thing is Kobe. ?Surely James has
> surpassed him in being disliked by NBA fans? Reasons for disliking
> Kobe were always dumb anyway i.e. "he's stuckup. ?You can just tell,
> look at him".

well, plus the*** thing.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Va Beach Hoki » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:39:03


Quote:


> > > But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> > > lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> > > Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> > Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
> > equal measure. ?I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized". ?Do
> > you mean by fans, or by the media?

> Both. ?I think Favre has been treated much different than James.

Favre has also been around for 20 years, most of that time building up
the good will.  Were it not for that, his fan base would be very thin
and mostly centered in the Twin Cities.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by shiit » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 23:58:37


Quote:

> > Racist!

> >http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748...

> Now I'm going to defend James here. ?He said that "race played a
> factor." ?He didn't say it was the only factor....he didn't call his
> critics racist.

> To be fair, I think he's probably accurate. ?Obviously most of the
> criticism is due to the amateurish way he handled his free agency,
> culminating in the way he announced his intentions on national
> television. ?However, let's do a compare and contrast with the way
> that Brett Favre left Green Bay...both threw their organizations under
> the bus...both used their celebrity to try to get on the public's good
> side.

> But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> Jon

Maybe a 1-3% factor.  Who knows?  Seems to me that a whole bunch of
fans need to get a freakin' life and not get bent over a professional
athlete making a decision about his career.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by TimV » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 00:02:38


Quote:



>>>> But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
>>>> lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
>>>> Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

>>> Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
>>> equal measure.  I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized".  Do
>>> you mean by fans, or by the media?

>> Both.  I think Favre has been treated much different than James.

> Favre has also been around for 20 years, most of that time building up
> the good will.  Were it not for that, his fan base would be very thin
> and mostly centered in the Twin Cities.

There is also the age thing. Most guys can't imagine really competing in
sports at that age. If I go out and hit 500 golf balls, I feel I might
need hospitalization and I'm in good shape. If I had 300lb linemen
landing on me all the time, I'd consider retiring too. So Favre dawdling
about coming back makes sense to any guy.

Calling a TV special to announce that you are signing away from your
hometown team (yeah, Akron isn't Cleveland, but for most of us, it is
close enough) is pretty d-bag.

T

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Va Beach Hoki » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 01:26:33


Quote:

> Calling a TV special to announce that you are signing away from your
> hometown team (yeah, Akron isn't Cleveland, but for most of us, it is
> close enough) is pretty d-bag.

It was his hometown, but it was never his sports town.  He's a Yankees
and a Cowboys fan.  Probably has Duke and U$C swag at home too.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Futbol Pha » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:27:09


Quote:
> Racist!

> http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748...

I believe there was a racial factor here.  If LeBron was a white dude,
the opinion of blacks towards all of his pompous BS would have
resulted in a much bigger drop in popularity than it did.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by McMahon » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 06:09:00


Quote:


> > > But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> > > lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> > > Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> > Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
> > equal measure. ?I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized". ?Do
> > you mean by fans, or by the media?

> Both. ?I think Favre has been treated much different than James.

I don't really see it and I wonder if your picture is skewed because
your in Packer country where he was a hero for so long.  After all, a
lot of the Packer fans blamed the team more than him originally
because of the way the whole thing played out.  He gets berated a lot
around here.  While I don't exactly root against him, I generally find
it amusing whenever the Vikings lose and it's his fault.

With James, my only problem with his action was the TV special.  His
decision wouldn't have even made my radar to speak of.  I did think
the way he announced it was kind of bush league.  Beyond that, I
really have a hard time even caring.

Marty

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by shiit » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:10:29


Quote:



> > > > But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> > > > lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> > > > Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

> > > Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
> > > equal measure. ?I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized". ?Do
> > > you mean by fans, or by the media?

> > Both. ?I think Favre has been treated much different than James.

> I don't really see it and I wonder if your picture is skewed because
> your in Packer country where he was a hero for so long. ?After all, a
> lot of the Packer fans blamed the team more than him originally
> because of the way the whole thing played out. ?He gets berated a lot
> around here. ?While I don't exactly root against him, I generally find
> it amusing whenever the Vikings lose and it's his fault.

> With James, my only problem with his action was the TV special. ?His
> decision wouldn't have even made my radar to speak of. ?I did think
> the way he announced it was kind of bush league. ?Beyond that, I
> really have a hard time even caring.

> Marty

Yep.  He's a young guy who committed a PR blunder.  He can afford it.
 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by Jim Gysi » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 08:03:37

J.C. Watts Enslin sent the following on 10/1/2010 9:01 AM:

Quote:


>>> But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
>>> lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
>>> Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.
>> Uh, my impression is that most casual fans of both sports hate both in
>> equal measure.  I don't get the sense that Favre is "lionized".  Do
>> you mean by fans, or by the media?

> Both.  I think Favre has been treated much different than James.

I completely disagree.  I know of some Packer fans who don't hate Favre
these days, but they're in the minority.  And I know of *none* who feel
the same way about the guy (in a positive sense) as they did back when
he wore green.  Yeah, the folks in the Twin Cities may be "lionizing"
Favre to some extent, but the same could be true of the people in
Florida with regard to LeBron.  I guess I'm just not seeing the
differences that you're seeing.

--
Jim Gysin
Waukesha, WI

 
 
 

Lebron James Critics

Post by tom_sawye.. » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 01:10:38


Quote:

> > Racist!

> >http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748...

> Now I'm going to defend James here. ?He said that "race played a
> factor." ?He didn't say it was the only factor....he didn't call his
> critics racist.

The question was whether or not people thought his decision was "bad"
or not.  I thought it was a bad decision because it was a huge PR
blunder, presented in poor taste and will forever alter the way he is
perceived regardless of what he does from here on out in his career.
My opinion had nothing to do with race any more than my thoughts on
Tom Brady going around and getting women pregnant being out of wedlock
factors race.

It would be interesting to know why the people voted the way they
did ... were they Cavs fans, or bystanders, did they view him
negatively because he was leaving his "home" team without winning a
title there, or did they view it as a negative move because he will
never be considered one of the best ever?

Quote:

> To be fair, I think he's probably accurate. ?Obviously most of the
> criticism is due to the amateurish way he handled his free agency,
> culminating in the way he announced his intentions on national
> television. ?

I disagree.  I don't think that he'd have received the same negative
backlash if he would have handled everything the same way, but
announced that he was going to stay in Cleveland.  The presentation
has a part, but it's a small part.  You can't compare an hour to the
time he's going to play in Miami and the economic effect it has in
Cleveland.

Quote:
> However, let's do a compare and contrast with the way
> that Brett Favre left Green Bay...both threw their organizations under
> the bus...both used their celebrity to try to get on the public's good
> side.

Favre won a title in GB, played the majority of his career with GB
while playing in pain and apparently gave his max effort while there,
and was somewhat of an adopted son.  He was getting older and the
organization was looking at the likelihood that he could continue,
along with his repeated statements to retire.

James is coming into his prime, did not win a title and strung out his
team's fans twice over contract issues, this last one lasting 2 years
or so?  Then, he brought the hammer with the embarrassing "decision"
to leave town.

I don't see a comparison at all.

Quote:

> But Favre was under contract...James wasn't...yet Favre is still
> lionized by a good number of people while James is villified.
> Honestly, it is hard for me to say that race doesn't play a factor.

Favre will not be properly "Lionized" until he plays for Detroit.