Janet Evans

Janet Evans

Post by Brian Crawfo » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00


What do all you people think about Janet Evans,
and her quest to win gold medals in the 96 Games?
With all these young girls coming up and her poor preformance
at this years Summer Nationals, she'll be lucky to make the team.
My prediction is she will make the team in both the 400 and 800
freestyles (in which she holds the world records in both--1988-89),
but her chances for a gold don't look good.  In the 400, she'll
be lucky to medal with Van Almsick winning at the Europeans
in a 408.  She really has her work cut out for her but has nothing to
be ashamed of.  After all, she broke her first world records at the
age of 15.
Please write about what you think her chances are at both the Olympic
trials and the Games themselves.
 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Tom Brid » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> What do all you people think about Janet Evans,
> and her quest to win gold medals in the 96 Games?
> With all these young girls coming up and her poor preformance
> at this years Summer Nationals, she'll be lucky to make the team.
> My prediction is she will make the team in both the 400 and 800
> freestyles (in which she holds the world records in both--1988-89),
> but her chances for a gold don't look good.  In the 400, she'll
> be lucky to medal with Van Almsick winning at the Europeans
> in a 408.  She really has her work cut out for her but has nothing to
> be ashamed of.  After all, she broke her first world records at the
> age of 15.
> Please write about what you think her chances are at both the Olympic
> trials and the Games themselves.

Brooke Bennett did VERY well against Ms Evans at Senior this past July in
Pasadena, beating her in all of the mid-distance/long distance events
(400, 800, and 1500) I think Bennett has a much better chance than Janet
does...sorry Janet.

--
"Failure is NOT an option."  
Commander Brik _The Middle of Nowhere_
Trust: The Condition necessary for betrayal
"'Aren't you gonna wish me good luck?''
'We wouldnt be sending the right man if you needed it'"

 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by John Brem » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>Brooke Bennett did VERY well against Ms Evans at Senior this past July in
>Pasadena, beating her in all of the mid-distance/long distance events
>(400, 800, and 1500) I think Bennett has a much better chance than Janet
>does...sorry Janet.

It's true that Brooke did very well against Janet at Seniors but Janet
was also sick and had in fact swum times faster than Brookes winning
times at the summer invite. series. (I'm thinking of her own invitational
as well as the others around.)
Quote:
>--
>"Failure is NOT an option."  
>Commander Brik _The Middle of Nowhere_
>Trust: The Condition necessary for betrayal
>"'Aren't you gonna wish me good luck?''
>'We wouldnt be sending the right man if you needed it'"


 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by THGua » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have seen Brooke train, and I have seen Evans train. Brooke was nothing
special when she was younger, but since all the girls who beat her as a
youngster in florida age group swimming have burned out and quit, Brooke
got more confident, and started swimming fast. She is a natural, and she
doesn't win on the basis of her hard work. Brooke Bennett is a slacker if
I ever saw one. All her teammates at BSTC can keep up with her. She is not
a workout monster. Evans is incredible in workouts. She has to swim with
the guys because the girls can't keep up with her--and neither can half of
the guys. I bet she could come quite close to her competitive times in
practice. I admire a swimmer more for how hard they train and how
committed they are to the sport, not necessarily how they perform at the
big meets. In this respect, Janet Evans is way above any American swimmer
I can think of besides Allison Wagner. Evans' chances for medals are high.
When she wants to, she can post the times. She knows Summer Nats are
nowhere near as important as the Olympic Trials. I think she should go
back into training for the 400 IM. She has a good chance to make the team
there behind Wagner. It would give her a change of pace too. Janet will be
in Atlanta, and no doubt win medals. Van Almsick could loaf through
prelims at the Olympics and blow her medal possibilities. Evans swims hard
all the time. She deserves all the recognition she gets and more.
 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Dave Bro » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
>>   What do all you people think about Janet Evans,
>>   and her quest to win gold medals in the 96 Games?

I saw her swim the 1500 at Nationals in 93, and it was truly
awesome--not her best, but something like the 3rd or 4th fastest time
in history.  Janet is a fantastic athlete, and who knows what she is
capable of.  I think it's highly dependent upon what "she wants to
do".  She can be mentally as tough as any competitor I've seen.  
--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX
 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Kevin Brian Tre » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I do think it will be difficult for Janet to medal in Atlanta
next year.  She did almost KO Bennett in the 400 at Nats, but
Brooke is a rising star, and Janet is well past her prime.  But
she has surprised everyone before.  Many people said she would
be another "Mary T" after 1988- unable to approach or break her
records, but she went on to swim a 4:04 400 and break the world
record in the 800 in '89 and broke 2 U. S. records in '90.
Then after 1992, when everyone thought she'd retire, she came
back to do a 4:05+, 8:23, and 15:59 in 1993.  I don't think
Janet will drop a lot of time next year, but the fact remains,
the distances have become pedestrian since the times of the
late 1980's.

Janet has her work cut out for her.  That's for sure.  But who
could blame her for trying.  After all, she right-- no one can
take away what she's done, and what elite athlete couldn't
resist the opportunity to cap off a historic career by
competing in an Olympic Games on her home soil?

 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Michael G. Goldstein, M.D » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

From my reading of the news, it appears the tonsil trouble may be a
limiting factor.
 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Larry Weisentha » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
>>and Janet is well past her prime<<

She is what, 23 or 24 at the most, right?  She is a distance
swimmer.  If she were a distance runner, no one would be saying
that she is past her prime until she would be at least 33 or 34,
and Carlos Lopes, I think, won the men's Olympic Marathon at age
38 or so; and Grete Waitz was certainly still world class at that
age.

So why is it that a 23/24 year old swimmer is "past her prime?"  
Has she really passed some physical limit? Granted she has
obviously put on some weight since her "prime" at age 16/17 in
1988/89.... I think that Brooke Bennet was swimming something
that looked like the Evans windmill at Worlds in 1994, but is now
doing a crab-arm -like, bent arm recovery. Janet's windmill used
to look more smooth and graceful, without as much of a total body
"hitch" during her breath as she seems to be doing now.  Maybe
she ought to finally junk the windmill and see what she can do
with a smooth, high-elbow recovery....Maybe it's time for her to
move up to the open water distances....Arm chair quarterbacking
sure is fun.

--
Larry Weisenthal

 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Joanne Gallas » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I think that Janet Evans can get a gold in whatever she sets her heart on.
  I had the privilege of going on an evening cruise with her last summer
in Seattle and really got to talk to her.  She thinks she can do it-and
so do I!!  Janet Evans is the greatest in my book!

Melanie

 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by The K » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> I think that Janet Evans can get a gold in whatever she sets her heart on.
>   I had the privilege of going on an evening cruise with her last summer
> in Seattle and really got to talk to her.  She thinks she can do it-and
> so do I!!  Janet Evans is the greatest in my book!

> Melanie

I agree totally.  It amazes me how folks dismiss older champions in the
face of new, up and coming copetition.  I would imagine that over the
course of a long career like hers, that it would be normal to have a few
down days, and non-earth-shattering performaces.

Truth be it known, many of our nation's top swimmers trained straight
through this summer's big meets.  Tom Dolan didn't taper for US Nationals,
neither did Alison Wagner; and it showed.  Dolan didn't break any world
records this summer, and I watched Wagner get whipped by Kristen Quance in
the one of the IM's.  

Remember that we are talking about a seasoned, experienced, world-record
holding athlete at the top of her profession.  At this stage inher career,
I believe she and Mark Schubert are well aware of how and when to swim
fast.  Just keep your eyes open and see what unfolds in the next year.  I
predict that she will swim extremely well at US Trials and at the Olympic
Games.  And I don't think any amount of foolish, youthful, overconfidence
and bravado (Brooke Bennet) can outweigh what Ms. Evans has going for her.

My 2 cents

--
Jason***s

http://SportToday.org/:80/~jdog/

 
 
 

Janet Evans

Post by Mary Rya » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I personally do not believe that Janet Evans has passed her prime at
all!  I think it is admirable that she is still competiting.  In fact, I
wouldn't be suprised that she would break her own world records in
Atlanta.  She can use the experience of loosing at nationals, to her
advantage.  It is better for her to loose at nationals than to loose in
Atlanta.  

Mary