Nationals DQs?

Nationals DQs?

Post by STMP » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00


I've been reading the results from Senior Nationals this week that Rick
Osterberg has been posting, and it struck me as strange the number of DQs.
 I don't remember an event in which there wasn't at least one.  Even more,
there were lots in the freestyle events which seems a bit unusual.

Did anyone see the meet and notice this?  What were the mainly for...false
starts? I'd love to know...

Jim Christian
Atlanta

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Paul Burkhard » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Jim,

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Paul Burkhard » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Jim,

I share your observation.  I was not present at Nationals but know of
several swimmers that completed, one of which was DQ'ed for the first
time this year!

Paul

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Philip W. Arcu » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've been reading the results from Senior Nationals this week that Rick
>Osterberg has been posting, and it struck me as strange the number of DQs.
> I don't remember an event in which there wasn't at least one.  Even more,
>there were lots in the freestyle events which seems a bit unusual.

>Did anyone see the meet and notice this?  What were the mainly for...false
>starts? I'd love to know...

>Jim Christian
>Atlanta

I was watching for all of the final sessions.  There were not a lot of
DQ's in what I saw, though there was a couple of false starts (one and
your out), and Chad Carvin did get DQ'd for a flutter kick instead of a
*** kick in one of the IM's.  He was quite upset and called it a Micky
Mouse disqualification.

Phil

:
:
:
:
:

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Richard Osterbe » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: and then it procedes from there, it takes more than ONE judge, if it
: happened, it happened, and more than one official saw it.

Not necessarily true.  Dual-confirmation is only necessary for relay
false starts to my knowledge.  At national meets, there is one stroke and
turn official for each lane at each end of the pool.  If the stroke and
turn official in a lane feels the stroke rules have been violated, they
are authorized to make the disqualification.  It does not need to be
dual-confirmed by another official.  It need only be communicated to the
head official and be "validated" (in the sense that the head official
confirms there was a valid reason explained, not that it actually happened).

-Rick

--
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Tom Brid » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> I was watching for all of the final sessions.  There were not a lot of
> DQ's in what I saw, though there was a couple of false starts (one and
> your out), and Chad Carvin did get DQ'd for a flutter kick instead of a
> *** kick in one of the IM's.  He was quite upset and called it a Micky
> Mouse disqualification.

> Phil

Well, I have just returned from spectating part of Jrs West and I dont
think that any DQ is just a Mickey Mouse DQ.  The official  who sees the
"break" from the rules raises his hand and then confers with the head
judge for that end, he/she tells the head judge what infraction he/she saw
and then it procedes from there, it takes more than ONE judge, if it
happened, it happened, and more than one official saw it.

--
"Failure is NOT an option."  
Commander Brik _The Middle of Nowhere_
Trust: The Condition necessary for betrayal
"'Aren't you gonna wish me good luck?''
'We wouldnt be sending the right man if you needed it'"

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Tom Brid » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
> head official and be "validated" (in the sense that the head official
> confirms there was a valid reason explained, not that it actually happened).

This effectively prevents "grudge calls," and sometimes the head judge may
OVERTURN the call, its happened, I've seen it.

--
"Failure is NOT an option."  
Commander Brik _The Middle of Nowhere_
Trust: The Condition necessary for betrayal
"'Aren't you gonna wish me good luck?''
'We wouldnt be sending the right man if you needed it'"

 
 
 

Nationals DQs?

Post by Adam Brid » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> : and then it procedes from there, it takes more than ONE judge, if it
> : happened, it happened, and more than one official saw it.

> Not necessarily true.  Dual-confirmation is only necessary for relay
> false starts to my knowledge.  At national meets, there is one stroke and
> turn official for each lane at each end of the pool.  If the stroke and
> turn official in a lane feels the stroke rules have been violated, they
> are authorized to make the disqualification.  It does not need to be
> dual-confirmed by another official.  It need only be communicated to the
> head official and be "validated" (in the sense that the head official
> confirms there was a valid reason explained, not that it actually happened).

> -Rick

> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Dual confirmation is also required for false-starts at the beginning of a race.

Dual confirmation is NOT required at Junior or Senior Nationals, nor is it
possible since the juristictions of the judges are designed so that only a
single person is watching a particular aspect of the swim/turn.

I can understand why a swimmer who hasn't been observed in the fashion of
the national meets might experience problems: the officials are really
focused on observing a single swimmer which is highly unusual in other USS
meets.  But then swimmers who have the skill/training/conditioning should
know how to do strokes that conform to the rules.

It's NOT the job of an official to look for disqualifications.  It's the
job of the official to observe a swim and report stroke infractions that
are observerd.  The chief judges are there to focus on what was seen and
make sure the official knew/understood the rule and was in the proper
position to make the call inthe first place, that it was in his
jurisdiction.

--
-------------------------------------------
Adam Bridge


CompuServe: 72707,401
    eWorld: ABridge
     Voice: (916) 756-4695
       FAX: (916) 753-1553