Improve swimming

Improve swimming

Post by Shane P Es » Sat, 09 May 1992 11:40:06




Quote:

>This isn't as large a problem as you make it out to be.  Different strokes
>use different muscles, and a very linear stroke like crawl stroke is just
>fine for complementing running.  If you feel like you really need to learn
>new strokes, you might try registering for some American Red Cross swimming
>courses, at about the Intermediate level.

Another alternative (a much better one IMO) is a master's swim
club.  They have trained coaches who know what they are doing,
and are better suited to teaching ***s rather than children.
Red Cross does not teach you efficiency as much as they should,
whereas, in teaching you how to go faster, efficiency is
increased.  There is usually at least 1 or 2 master's swim clubs
in each city - I don't know where you live, but we have 4 in Calgary.
Another alternative is a triathlon club - they usually also have
trained coaches and are more *** oriented.

Shane Esau

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by charyl ann per » Sat, 09 May 1992 14:18:45

Quote:

>  A lot of people, responding "How to improve swimming" question,
>mentioned that free style and back-stroke are relatively easy.

>  I find "free style" more strenuous than "***-stroke."  I always
>get out of breath after a few laps while I can do more than 50 laps of
>*** stroke without a problem.   Do you think I have a problem with
>breathing in free style ?  

>  Also, I find it difficult to go straight doing backstroke for the obvious
>reason.  Can't see where I am going :-(   Any tips ?   Thanks in advance.



It's not that freestyle is the easiest to do during a workout.  Freestyle is
the easiest to learn.  I agree, I'd much rather do laps of *** stroke!!!

Backstroke isn't my strong point, but I always follow a tree, or a line of
lights with my eyes.  That's usually keeps me in line.  :)

Charyl

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by Judge R » Sat, 09 May 1992 17:01:21


Quote:
>  I find "free style" more strenuous than "***-stroke."  I always
>get out of breath after a few laps while I can do more than 50 laps of
>*** stroke without a problem.   Do you think I have a problem with
>breathing in free style ?  

Not at all. In fact ***roke is the least stressful of all the strokes
with Fly being the most.

Judge Raz,


                       |    o-o    |  Now can't have none of that
National Swim Team     |     ^     |  Tell her whatta say Mace
Ireland                |    `-'    |  Say no go         -- De La Soul

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by alexander buc » Sat, 09 May 1992 23:34:13


Quote:
>Another alternative (a much better one IMO) is a master's swim
>club.  They have trained coaches who know what they are doing,
>and are better suited to teaching ***s rather than children.

One thing I can tell you about master's swimming is that is also a
socializing place.  I played water-polo for years (back in Romania)
and I hated swimming (I thought it was boring).  The masters' program
showed me how wrong I was.  A good program will improve the stoke,
but it will also make you friends that you might have for long, long time.

Sasha Bucur

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by Peter Y. Ch » Sun, 10 May 1992 06:52:38

Quote:

>  A lot of people, responding "How to improve swimming" question,
>mentioned that free style and back-stroke are relatively easy.

>  I find "free style" more strenuous than "***-stroke."  I always
>get out of breath after a few laps while I can do more than 50 laps of
>*** stroke without a problem.   Do you think I have a problem with
>breathing in free style ?  

>  Also, I find it difficult to go straight doing backstroke for the obvious
>reason.  Can't see where I am going :-(   Any tips ?   Thanks in advance.

I make visits to Taiwan just about twice every year, and while I was there
over summers, I noticed that more "novice" swimmers (that is, people who
get in the pool mostly to play in the water) are quite good at ***-
strokes, and not very good at everything else.  This contrasts with my
observations that, in the U.S., the beginners are most adept at swimming
freestyle.

It seems that Asians are more comfortable with ***strokes while
Caucasians are more at ease with freestyles.  Anyone else notices this?

-- Peter Chen

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by Charlie Cockre » Tue, 12 May 1992 20:51:33


Quote:

>I make visits to Taiwan just about twice every year, and while I was there
>over summers, I noticed that more "novice" swimmers (that is, people who
>get in the pool mostly to play in the water) are quite good at ***-
>strokes, and not very good at everything else.  This contrasts with my
>observations that, in the U.S., the beginners are most adept at swimming
>freestyle.

>It seems that Asians are more comfortable with ***strokes while
>Caucasians are more at ease with freestyles.  Anyone else notices this?

>-- Peter Chen

A few years ago, one of my coaches returned from an ASCA coaches clinic
with some interesting information that was covered on this subject. U.S.
Swimming looked at the way strokes are taught in other countries and
discovered exactly what you point out here. Europeans, for example, are
most likely to learn ***stroke first while in the U.S, we have become
accustomed to teaching freestyle first. Also, some younger swimmers
come to reagrd butterfly as a "punishment stroke" because coaches make
the mistake of using it for this purpose. Based on this, we tried to
de-emphasize freestyle some and emphasize other strokes with developmental
swimmers.  I think most coaches would still agree that freestyle should be
the *** stroke in training, but it helps to start young swimmers off
not thinking freestyle is the only stroke.

--
Charlie***rell                          VV     VV 1991 Men's Soccer Champs.
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va. VV   VV  1992 Men's NIT Champions  
U.Va. School of Engineering, Class of 1990  VV VV   1991 Women's ACC BB Champs.
(These are my opinions only)                 VVV                        

 
 
 

Improve swimming

Post by Helen Mah » Fri, 22 May 1992 06:44:39

I personally don't recommend swimming with a full or very empty stomach.
I usually wait a good 45 minutes to an hour after eating.  Otherwise I
feel sick to my stomach and swim slower.  With an empty stomach, I don't
have enough energy to swim my desired distance.  

Kickboards definitely can help develop the leg muscles and the
between-the-leg-thing can help with building the arm muscles.
Personally I don't use the leg thing.  I just swim with my arms and drag
the legs along behind me.  It's free.

Breathing every 3 or four strokes may help stabilize your breathing and
perclude the stomach's reaction.

New strokes can be tiring but they're also a challenge.  Don't feel bad
though if you're enjoying the crawl.  That's what I do mostly.  To build
speed you should do sprints.

Good Luck !!

Helen