The following is provided for the information of the newsgroup.
Guidelines for Drug Testing
(from Program Australian Open Championships 1993)
All testing officials must wear identification badges. If you
are selected for a drug test the following will occur:
* Immediately after the event a chaperone will notify you of
your selection. The chaperone will provide you with an
information sheet outlining the testing procedures and you
rights in relation to the test. You will be asked to sign a
notification form acknowledging receipt of this information
* You are permitted to complete a warm-down, participate in
medal presentations, compete in futher events or fulfil media
commitments if required. At all times you must be accompanied
by the chaperone.
* You are entitled to have a representative present
(generally your manager or coach). The chaperone will accompany
you to notify your manager, coach or other people you wish to
inform, eg family.
* As soon as possible after completing your event you must
accompany the chaperone to the Drug Control Area and report to
the Drug Control Official (DCO) who is supervising the testing.
* You should not consume any unsealed drinks. You will be
provided with sealed, canned drinks (non-caffeine) when you
report to the Drug Control Area. You should open them yourself
and once opened, be responsible for them. Any food or drink you
consume is consumed at your own risk and is not grounds for
challenging a test result.
* When you feel ready to provide a urine sample you must
notify the DCO.
* The DCO will ask you to select a sample collection
container which you should ensure is sealed.
* A chaperone of the same sex will accompany you to the
toilet and in direct view, witness you providing a urine sample
of at least 80ml.
* Until the urine sample is sealed you are the only person
who SHOULD handle the container.
* The DCO will supervise the procedure of selecting a set of
Envopaks, checking the bottles, pouring the sample and resealing
the Envopaks. Only you handle the sample collection container
and Envopaks containing the sample bottle.
* The DCO completes the Drug Testing Form, recording contact
information and recording the Envopak and Seal numbers. You
will be asked to declare any medications you have taken in the
* Both you and your representative must check the information
and numbers and, if satisfied, sign the form.
* You will be given a copy of the form for your records. The
laboratory will be sent only the section detailing the sample,
seals and medications to protect your privacy.
* You are then free to go. The samples will be sent to the
IOC accredited laboratory and the results will be sent to you
within three weeks. The sample will be screened for the IOC
Medical Commission list of Doping Classes and Methods.
* ***** ***** * *** * ISAAC SEIDL
* * * * * * * MEDICINE 3 UWA
* ***** **** * * * *
* * * * * * * "Character is the result of two
* ***** ***** * ***** ***** things: mental attitude, and the