A cup of coffee before swimming

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by S1swi » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00


NO NO NO NO NO........

Coffee and jolt and caffeine are no nos for swimming.  Trust me they
dehydrate you and nothing decreases performance like dehydration!!!  And
in case you think I am not knowledgable on this subject I my current world
ranking is 15th in the 200 ***
Steve West

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by James G. Ack » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: NO NO NO NO NO........
:
: Coffee and jolt and caffeine are no nos for swimming.  Trust me they
: dehydrate you and nothing decreases performance like dehydration!!!  And
: in case you think I am not knowledgable on this subject I my current world
: ranking is 15th in the 200 ***
: Steve West

        Steve,

        Notwithstanding your excellence in the sport, Barrowman at
least stated that he drank coffee before races.  Was this just another
famous Barrowman "psych the competition ploy", or did he really do it?
(In case you know, of course.)  The diuretic effect can be compensated
for, I would think, by drinking more liquids.  I don't drink coffee
before races because it makes my stomach rumble a bit too much, and
I like competing with a pretty empty stomach anyways -- but at least
some athletes are reputed to employ the bean.  And many top
marathoners swear by it for the fat-burning benefits, but that's
a much different application.

===============================================
|  James G. Acker                             |

===============================================
All comments are the personal opinion of the writer
and do not constitute policy and/or opinion of government
or corporate entities.

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by Jeffrey Roddi » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>: NO NO NO NO NO........
>:
>: Coffee and jolt and caffeine are no nos for swimming.  Trust me they
>: dehydrate you and nothing decreases performance like dehydration!!!  And
>: in case you think I am not knowledgable on this subject I my current world
>: ranking is 15th in the 200 ***
>: Steve West

>    Steve,

>    Notwithstanding your excellence in the sport, Barrowman at
>least stated that he drank coffee before races.  Was this just another
>famous Barrowman "psych the competition ploy", or did he really do it?
>(In case you know, of course.)  The diuretic effect can be compensated
>for, I would think, by drinking more liquids.  I don't drink coffee
>before races because it makes my stomach rumble a bit too much, and
>I like competing with a pretty empty stomach anyways -- but at least
>some athletes are reputed to employ the bean.  And many top
>marathoners swear by it for the fat-burning benefits, but that's
>a much different application.

>===============================================
>|  James G. Acker                             |

>===============================================
>All comments are the personal opinion of the writer
>and do not constitute policy and/or opinion of government
>or corporate entities.

While not completely comparing apples to apples, I've seen Jeff Kostoff
drinking a cup of coffee minutes before the start of the Chesapeake Bay
swim.  I realize swimming for an hour and a half is much different than
peak muscle power output for 2 minutes or less, but at least I saw it
myself to confirm.  In fact, he stood on the beach drinking the coffee
and handed it to his wife just prior to the start.

-Jeff

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by Matt Kendrick/R. Zies » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I get up at 5am to swim with my team. I am a coffee drinker and i need a
cup at that time of the morning just to get my eyes to open all the way.
I do compensate for the coffee, by drinking orange juice (great
potassium source!) and water before the workout. I do 5000-6000 meter
workouts and i don't feel the coffee hurts me any. As a matter of fact,
it gets me to the workout!
RZ
 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by S1swi » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Sorry about the way the message reads, I didnt mean to come off the way I
did.  I just wanted to get the point accross that coffee or other
caffeinated drinks are not performance enhancers.  If one drinks coke for
dinner the night after a day of racing and does not drink at least two
times the amount of coke in water after that, then they will not recover
as quickly.  They may wake up from a "caffeine hangover," not that much
different from an *** hangover.  So they might be likely to drink
coffee again to help them wake up better, when really they are just
dehydrated.  So an athlete is always far better off drinking water or
juice in the morning before a race.  

As for Mike Barrowman having coffee before a race, I am not sure.  He used
to say that he went to McDonalds, but that was an attempt to get an
endor***t.  I'll have to ask him next time I see him if he drinks coffee
before a kayak race.  That is Barrowmans new sport, and I heard he has a
chance to make the Olympics in '96 for kayaking.  He is highly ranked in
his new sport.  Maybe that will be enough for him to get that McDonalds
endor***t!  Eat McD's before races in both Olympic sports.  :)

Steve West

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by Barbara Mary Burk » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> NO NO NO NO NO........

> Coffee and jolt and caffeine are no nos for swimming.  Trust me they
> dehydrate you and nothing decreases performance like dehydration!!!  And
> in case you think I am not knowledgable on this subject I my current world
> ranking is 15th in the 200 ***
> Steve West

     With all due respect for your ranking, sir, recent scientific tests
HAVE indicated that one cup of coffee just before running promotes
endurance.  Might this not also be true for endurance swimming events?  
Also, I think it would depend on whether or not you were a regular coffee
drinker.  If you are, and you skip the coffee before a morning
competition, I would think you would obviously feel less alert and
perform poorly. While coffee may not work for you --- Different strokes
for different folks!!!
 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by Ron Thomso » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
>     With all due respect for your ranking, sir, recent scientific tests
>HAVE indicated that one cup of coffee just before running promotes
>endurance.  Might this not also be true for endurance swimming events?  

That is the reason that caffeine is an OlyOlympic banned
substance!!

--
Ron Thomson~~~~~~AQUADEMICS Corp.

~ Fax-On-Demand 1-800-6-WET-WET ~
  http://www.wp.com/AQUADEMICS
Surf On In~~~~~~~~~~~~and get wet

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by James G. Ack » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>     With all due respect for your ranking, sir, recent scientific tests
>>HAVE indicated that one cup of coffee just before running promotes
>>endurance.  Might this not also be true for endurance swimming events?  
>That is the reason that caffeine is an OlyOlympic banned
>substance!!

        Of course, it's well known that the threshold for
caffeine is a level achievable by consumption of 10-12
cups of coffee in 1-2 hours, which would make dehydration
via emesis a definite possibility and a definite drag on
performance.  Presence of caffeine in the ***stream is
not cause for disqualification or suspension.

        JGA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This posting was the opinion, like it or not, of:  James G. Acker  

QUOTE OF THE .SIG: "I know that worry works, because everything
I worry about doesn't happen."  -- Anonymous

 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by Stephanie Hagopia » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I recently researched the topic of caffeine in endurance performances.  
YES  caffeine does enhance endurance performance.  Recent scientific
research documents enhanced performance for both running and cycling.  
Caffeine is a banned substance if more than 12 micrograms are found in
the urine.  Most of the research states that enhanced performance can be
achieved if levels are below 12 micrograms.  Two cups of coffee or two
cokes ingested 1/2 hour before competition could produce an ergogenic
affect.  Maybe the US Olympic committee should ban caffeine completely!
 
 
 

A cup of coffee before swimming

Post by James G. Ack » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


>Subject: Re: A cup of coffee before swimming
>Date: 27 Nov 1995 15:47:22 GMT
>I recently researched the topic of caffeine in endurance performances.  
>YES  caffeine does enhance endurance performance.  Recent scientific
>research documents enhanced performance for both running and cycling.  
>Caffeine is a banned substance if more than 12 micrograms are found in
>the urine.  Most of the research states that enhanced performance can be
>achieved if levels are below 12 micrograms.  Two cups of coffee or two
>cokes ingested 1/2 hour before competition could produce an ergogenic
>affect.  Maybe the US Olympic committee should ban caffeine completely!

        Presumably you meant that last line in humor, but if not, realize
how difficult it would be.  Caffeine is even present in chocolate (I think
that a regular Hershey bar has about 1/4 as much as in a cup of coffee).
Furthermore, sabotage would be simple -- just slip a No-Doz into a fellow
competitor's Gatorade.  Much easier to get than mesterolone!

        JGA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This posting was the opinion, like it or not, of:  James G. Acker  

QUOTE OF THE .SIG: "I know that worry works, because everything
I worry about doesn't happen."  -- Anonymous