Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Kim in » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Thinking about a potential destination site for next winter fun.
Perhaps a tour of the Gaspe Penninsula?

Does it take a week to do the grand loop? Anyone been? Did you take
your own sleds up? How far the drive from Montreal? Is it a high crime
area?

Kim in NH (always looking for new ideas/adventures)

(to respond, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Rob Lyo » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>Thinking about a potential destination site for next winter fun.
>Perhaps a tour of the Gaspe Penninsula?

>Does it take a week to do the grand loop? Anyone been? Did you take
>your own sleds up? How far the drive from Montreal? Is it a high crime
>area?

Kim,
The Gaspe peninsula is THE greatest place to snowmobile, period!!!  I
have been there many times.  The scenery is the BEST!!!  Trails are
SUPER, and the people are friendly!  Accommodations are plentiful and
easy!  There is NO better place to ride!  

There are many options, from a partial loop, to the full loop around
the peninsula, to loops through the interior.  You can go many times
and still make it different!  A week is plenty of time, the basic loop
around is about 1150 miles starting and finishing at Riviere du Loop,
which is about 4 1/2 hours from the VT border crossing on I-91.  From
Montreal, (why?), it is about the same.  The only crime that you have
to worry about is breaking the speed limit!  If you are serious, I can
give you much more info.
Rob

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by catzrt.. » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I too have been to the Gaspe and believe me Rob is absolutely correct on
everything.

Awesome trails, people, sceney etc...
Try to stay a night in Rimouski, stay at Hotel Rimouski. It is VERY nice
hotel, you`ll be glad you stayed.

Go and have a GREAT time, you`ll love it.

Jeff B            
Up in Maine

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Thunderca » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Kim,

A few of my friends have done the loop a couple of times, and we are all
planning on doing it next February.  We live in Southern Maine, maybe if you
are serious, you could come with us, get a big group together??  Plenty of
time to plan.  Where in NH do you live?  I ride in Errol & Pittsburg all the
time and my mom is from Berlin.

Mike

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Rob Lyo » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>A few of my friends have done the loop a couple of times, and we are all
>planning on doing it next February.  We live in Southern Maine, maybe if you
>are serious, you could come with us, get a big group together??  Plenty of
>time to plan.  Where in NH do you live?  I ride in Errol & Pittsburg all the
>time and my mom is from Berlin.

Thundercat?  From trailconditions.com?  I'm Rob, the guy Denny was on
the Gaspe with.  Glad you guys had a good time in Maine last week.
How many are you talking to go next february?  More than 8 or so gets
to be a problem, especially with different riding styles.  How about
planning an early ride in december?
Rob
 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Kim in » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> A few of my friends have done the loop a couple of times, and we are all
> planning on doing it next February.  We live in Southern Maine, maybe if you
> are serious, you could come with us, get a big group together??  Plenty of
> time to plan.  Where in NH do you live?  I ride in Errol & Pittsburg all the
> time and my mom is from Berlin.

HI Mike,

I'm in the Lebanon NH area, which is on the VT border.  A bit out of
the way, I'm afraid! But we could meet you somewhere, that's for sure.
The more the merrier. Which way do you go up? We'd be going up I-91 to
Quebec.  Our vacation time is somewhat flexible, for late Jan to early
March. I'm not sure about a Dec. ride. Also, our riding style is
relaxing touring/cruising. No racing or taking chances (well......).
Do you rent sleds when you get up there, or bring your own?

Kim in NH
(to respond, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Kim in » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Netride East-Quebec??

(to respond, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Rob Lyo » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>Netride East-Quebec??

>(to respond, remove NOSPAM from the email address)

Sounds good, Kim!  I'd be glad to do all I can.  Who else is
interested?
Rob
 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by catzrt.. » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Netride? East Quebec?
Good idea.
Keep the info coming.  I`d love to go.

Jeff B      Up in Maine

 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Rob Lyo » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Netride? East Quebec?
>Good idea.
>Keep the info coming.  I`d love to go.

Great, Jeff!
I think its a good idea!  Since I've only been on RSS for about a
year, does anyone know if a netride has been tried before?  Was it
successful?  Judging by the volume of posts here lately, most readers
have gone elsewhere for the sping/summer, so we can't expect too much
response before fall.  In the meantime, for those of us interested, we
can discuss details like: date, how many days, location, miles per
day, etc.  I have a lot of experience putting together trips in
Quebec, so I would be willing to take care of most of the logistics,
but we need to know what most of the people interested in a netride,
are looking for.  A tour of the Gaspe peninsula would be the ultimate,
but it would require a week's commitment from the participants.  I'm
not sure how many people would, (or could), get that much time off.
Perhaps a shorter trip would interest more riders.  I will make
another post with the subject "Netride" and repost it periodically to
stir up some input.  Keep talking about it!
Rob
 
 
 

Opinions wanted: riding the Gaspe (northern Quebec)

Post by Thunderca » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Me and probably 4 or 5 other guys are planning on doing the Gaspe Loop next
February, not sure which week??  It would be cool to get a group together.
I haven't been before but they usually take off from Caribou, Maine and plan
on a full week.  Keep me posted and maybe we can all make this work! :)

Mike


Quote:

> >Netride? East Quebec?
> >Good idea.
> >Keep the info coming.  I`d love to go.

> Great, Jeff!
> I think its a good idea!  Since I've only been on RSS for about a
> year, does anyone know if a netride has been tried before?  Was it
> successful?  Judging by the volume of posts here lately, most readers
> have gone elsewhere for the sping/summer, so we can't expect too much
> response before fall.  In the meantime, for those of us interested, we
> can discuss details like: date, how many days, location, miles per
> day, etc.  I have a lot of experience putting together trips in
> Quebec, so I would be willing to take care of most of the logistics,
> but we need to know what most of the people interested in a netride,
> are looking for.  A tour of the Gaspe peninsula would be the ultimate,
> but it would require a week's commitment from the participants.  I'm
> not sure how many people would, (or could), get that much time off.
> Perhaps a shorter trip would interest more riders.  I will make
> another post with the subject "Netride" and repost it periodically to
> stir up some input.  Keep talking about it!
> Rob