OK - this site is dead.......

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by D War » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:07:36


Too bad for all the new people on the net that they don't know about
Newsgroups.  So few posts this year - when I first found this back in the
90's there were 3-400 posts daily with lots to talk about.  Today - 3-4
posts a week.  So sad.....

I will still check in almost daily - just habit I guess.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Stig Arne By » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:40:03

Quote:

>     I try to check in every day... since around '95; but my ISP (and
> the one before it) dropped Usenet support and I had to switch to a
> "paid" service (even though I was paying for the old service that was
> supposed to include unlimited Usenet access).
>     Most days, the response from Usenet.com is "unable to find
> server"... so I'm awol for days at a time now.  >:-(

Have you tried news.motzarella.org?

 *  Completly free - no monthly and annual fee.
 *  Fast server access and message download.
 *  Carry about 32,000 newsgroups (text only groups).
 *  Message retention/history is approx. 3 months for all groups.

I've now used news.motzarella.org for several months and have so far not
experienced any problems related to the server itself.

Regards,

Stig Arne Bye

92 Yamaha VT 480 TF/E (Venture)



Snail-Mail ..:  Axel Borgens veg 4, NO-9900 Kirkenes, Norway
Homepage ....:  UNDER CONSTRUCTION: http://stigbye.football.clubs.io
------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Located just about 70N 30E - Almost at the top of the world!

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by JWentwort » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 03:20:57

Isn't it interesting that an obituary for this site draws the most public
comment in some time.

Looking back over the previous 30 days of posts I see about 15 different
names. I wonder how many lurkers visit this site? I can't imagine that the
total readership here is much greater than a couple hundred people with less
than 50 who would post a message.

Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the past.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Built4mu » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 04:21:28

I still check in daily but not much to say lately no one talking about
anything important

Southern N.H. Border Town
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
97 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583
http://home.comcast.net/~jon65/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html


Quote:
> Isn't it interesting that an obituary for this site draws the most public
> comment in some time.

> Looking back over the previous 30 days of posts I see about 15 different
> names. I wonder how many lurkers visit this site? I can't imagine that the
> total readership here is much greater than a couple hundred people with
> less than 50 who would post a message.

> Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
> they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the
> past.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Doug Bisset » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:29:57

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 18:20:57 UTC, "JWentworth"

Quote:

> Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
> they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the past.

I am still here, but I think my sledding days are about over. The old
bod just won't take the punishment any more...

--

reply)
Polaris 2000 500RMK

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Gary » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:58:11

Quote:

> Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
> they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the past.

It's very slow here, but I still lurk.
 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Martin Walke » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:11:11


Quote:
> Isn't it interesting that an obituary for this site draws the most public
> comment in some time.

> Looking back over the previous 30 days of posts I see about 15 different
> names. I wonder how many lurkers visit this site? I can't imagine that the
> total readership here is much greater than a couple hundred people with
> less than 50 who would post a message.

> Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
> they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the
> past.

I've never been very active here but lurk daily during the season. It's sad
to hear about ISPs dropping usenet access. I had trouble getting on usenet a
year ago and was shocked that most Charter support personnel had never even
heard of it. One told me to call Microsoft! Another explained that because
it was a "fee service" they provided, that they did not offer any support
for it. It didn't matter that they listed it among the services that I paid
for and that it is part of my daily routine. The web forums do have a lot to
offer and I spend time there too, but I've been on usenet before the world
wide web even existed.

On a brighter note, Santa Claus brought my wife a new Ski-Doo GSX E-Tec for
Christmas. I'm almost envious but love my 4-stroke.

http://webpages.charter.net/kc8cfp/GSX_1.JPG

Martin

Charlevoix, MI

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Martin Walke » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:20:15

Oops. That should have been:

Another explained that because  it was a "free service" they provided, that
they did not offer any support  for it.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Gary » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:20:50

Quote:

> I am still here, but I think my sledding days are about over. The old
> bod just won't take the punishment any more...

Boy, aint that the truth!

I can remember last year, running an old abandoned rail road bed at
about 75mph and thinking to myself "am I having fun?" ... it was boring
after 5 miles or so, add the sore muscles from riding that day and it
just wasn't fun anymore.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Randal » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:00:26

Ok, so email is a free service, they don't support that neither???  What a
lame excuse!

I started in Usenet in the late 90's.  Made lots of deals buying and selling
stuff on the local group.  We also have a local snowmobiling group
(ott.rec.snowmobiles) but it never caught on since it was created right when
Usenet was on the decline.

Got great advice here and also gave some.  Lots of snow here but my body is
also showing its age and time is something that I have a lot less of.  Maybe
once I retire...

--
Randall
1992 Ski-Doo Safari 377 (His)
1992 Ski-Doo Safari 377 Electric (Hers)


Quote:
> Oops. That should have been:

> Another explained that because  it was a "free service" they provided,
> that they did not offer any support  for it.

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by ScoobyDo » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:20:12

I lurk about and toss in an occasional post.
I can't check as regular as I used to. TWC aka RR dropped groups
supposedly so they would not get sued over deviant photos . I used
free Teranews account but they keep screwing with the servers and
resetting message numbers so I check and OE says no new messages
because number range was reset lower than last downloaded message
header.

Went riding yesterday with 'newest' aquisition - '03 SkiDoo Legend
v-1000 4 stroke. Rides pretty nice. Had a thunking sound. After the
belt disintegrated, I figured out what it was :-)

And I hear ya about the tired old bod... I am getting there far to
quickly for my tastes. been riding sleds for over 36 years (and I
didn't start untill after HS)

<SD>


Quote:
> Ok, so email is a free service, they don't support that neither??? ?What a
> lame excuse!

> I started in Usenet in the late 90's. ?Made lots of deals buying and selling
> stuff on the local group. ?We also have a local snowmobiling group
> (ott.rec.snowmobiles) but it never caught on since it was created right when
> Usenet was on the decline.

> Got great advice here and also gave some. ?Lots of snow here but my body is
> also showing its age and time is something that I have a lot less of. ?Maybe
> once I retire...

> --
> Randall
> 1992 Ski-Doo Safari 377 (His)
> 1992 Ski-Doo Safari 377 Electric (Hers)



> > Oops. That should have been:

> > Another explained that because ?it was a "free service" they provided,
> > that they did not offer any support ?for it.- Hide quoted text -

> - Show quoted text -

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Bail » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 03:05:34

I'm mostly a lurker, but have posted several yrs ago when things were
flying high on this website.
 Now I check in every so often just to see what's up.I miss the old days
of RSS.
                        Bailey
 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Gary » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:45:38

Quote:

> And I hear ya about the tired old bod... I am getting there far to
> quickly for my tastes. been riding sleds for over 36 years (and I
> didn't start untill after HS)

> <SD>

I think this is the problem as to why it is so quit here. We've all
became OLD FARTS suddenly!

Oh and add in the fact that old BUCKET MOUTH Jeff B isn't posting!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Nelso » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:04:43

I lurk here regularly to see wutzup, but when I'm out sledding I
don't have access to the group... I go to a remote wilderness
cabin for a week or more at a time.  We're both retired and
interested in touring club trails from the cabin, but the groomers
are just barely getting out now due to ice conditions around
Lake of the Woods.
    Nelson
 
 
 

OK - this site is dead.......

Post by Farme » Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:45:51

Here you go. Haven't posted recently.
Quote:

> Isn't it interesting that an obituary for this site draws the most public
> comment in some time.

> Looking back over the previous 30 days of posts I see about 15 different
> names. I wonder how many lurkers visit this site? I can't imagine that the
> total readership here is much greater than a couple hundred people with less
> than 50 who would post a message.

> Would the readers of this message please respond with a quick reply that
> they do read this forum, and indicate if they have posted here in the past.