HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Dr. Z-Ope » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Hey Guys (and Gals),

As fate would have it I had just read a couple of tales-of-woe before I
went to the camp this past weekend about people riding along and very
suddenly shutting-down with no obvious indication of a problem. In
particular one poster mentioned a _known_ problem with the Flll 700
by which the engine "just shuts down". This happened to me
yesterday - here's the deal.

1998 Ski-Doo Flll 700 w/~3k miles. I've never had *any* problem with
this machine. The DES always worked fine, etc. I was riding along the trail
happily and it was as though I'd hit the kill button, but I hadn't. Attempts
to re-start the thing quickly made it evident that there was no spark
happening at all - it was dead. I hadn't noticed the  temp gauge before
it happened. Anyhow some time past and still no start. One of the spark
plug's electrodes was rust-colored, which did not seem to bode well,
but I didn't (don't) know what to make of that. Anyhow, I replaced that
plug with a new one.

Anyhow, I walked back to camp to get the PhazerII and call it into service
(tow service). When I got back (.5 hr later) I tried in vain to start the
machine
again. I towed the thing with our PhazerII back to it's garage, muscled the
thing into the garage and gave it one more try... it F'ing fired-up! It
popped
once from the last throttle thwack it got as it was originally dying but
seemed
to idle for a couple of seconds and sounded okay. Then I just shut it down
'cause I had some other matters to attend to.

So, I don't know where it stands. It was *dead* as can be and after an hour
or so decided it would run. Any insights/suggestions would be *most*
welcome indeed!

Thanks!

--
Sean (Dr. Z)

======================
         Sean C. Murphy
    Sr. Software Engineer
      Document.Com, Inc.
       617.542.7200 X232

======================

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Daniel Marti » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I had the same happen to me but it would start up again.  The engine
shut down was caused by aluminium melting and causing a short , like
hitting the kill switch.  What caused it, poor maintenance.  The carb
jet needles were not clean.  One piston had to be replaced and a
cylinder replated.  I will from now on before storing it, run it with
gas line turned off and wait till runs oout of gas.  Then fill the
carbs with oil.  A co-rider has been doing this for years and his sled
has now over 18,000 miles on it.

The most frustrating thing is that we waited and waited for snow and
now that its finally here, I got the sled in the shop !

Daniel  Martin



Quote:
>Hey Guys (and Gals),

>As fate would have it I had just read a couple of tales-of-woe before I
>went to the camp this past weekend about people riding along and very
>suddenly shutting-down with no obvious indication of a problem. In
>particular one poster mentioned a _known_ problem with the Flll 700
>by which the engine "just shuts down". This happened to me
>yesterday - here's the deal.

>1998 Ski-Doo Flll 700 w/~3k miles. I've never had *any* problem with
>this machine. The DES always worked fine, etc. I was riding along the trail
>happily and it was as though I'd hit the kill button, but I hadn't. Attempts
>to re-start the thing quickly made it evident that there was no spark
>happening at all - it was dead. I hadn't noticed the  temp gauge before
>it happened. Anyhow some time past and still no start. One of the spark
>plug's electrodes was rust-colored, which did not seem to bode well,
>but I didn't (don't) know what to make of that. Anyhow, I replaced that
>plug with a new one.

>Anyhow, I walked back to camp to get the PhazerII and call it into service
>(tow service). When I got back (.5 hr later) I tried in vain to start the
>machine
>again. I towed the thing with our PhazerII back to it's garage, muscled the
>thing into the garage and gave it one more try... it F'ing fired-up! It
>popped
>once from the last throttle thwack it got as it was originally dying but
>seemed
>to idle for a couple of seconds and sounded okay. Then I just shut it down
>'cause I had some other matters to attend to.

>So, I don't know where it stands. It was *dead* as can be and after an hour
>or so decided it would run. Any insights/suggestions would be *most*
>welcome indeed!

>Thanks!


 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Dr. Z-Ope » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the reply and info.

Actually my sled *did* start too, after an hour or so and after towing it
a couple of miles 'cause it *wouldn't* start! I guess the fact that it ran
after the tow should not be taken for granted... It's gonna happen
again, but this time when I'm *way* out in the woods!

Does the "rust" colored spark plug electrode mean anything to you?
Could that indicate less-than-favorable cylinder/piston condition in
that jug?

Thanks again!

--
Sean (Dr. Z)


Quote:

> I had the same happen to me but it would start up again.  The engine
> shut down was caused by aluminium melting and causing a short , like
> hitting the kill switch.  What caused it, poor maintenance.  The carb
> jet needles were not clean.  One piston had to be replaced and a
> cylinder replated.  I will from now on before storing it, run it with
> gas line turned off and wait till runs oout of gas.  Then fill the
> carbs with oil.  A co-rider has been doing this for years and his sled
> has now over 18,000 miles on it.

> The most frustrating thing is that we waited and waited for snow and
> now that its finally here, I got the sled in the shop !

> Daniel  Martin



> >Hey Guys (and Gals),

> >As fate would have it I had just read a couple of tales-of-woe before I
> >went to the camp this past weekend about people riding along and very
> >suddenly shutting-down with no obvious indication of a problem. In
> >particular one poster mentioned a _known_ problem with the Flll 700
> >by which the engine "just shuts down". This happened to me
> >yesterday - here's the deal.

> >1998 Ski-Doo Flll 700 w/~3k miles. I've never had *any* problem with
> >this machine. The DES always worked fine, etc. I was riding along the
trail
> >happily and it was as though I'd hit the kill button, but I hadn't.
Attempts
> >to re-start the thing quickly made it evident that there was no spark
> >happening at all - it was dead. I hadn't noticed the  temp gauge before
> >it happened. Anyhow some time past and still no start. One of the spark
> >plug's electrodes was rust-colored, which did not seem to bode well,
> >but I didn't (don't) know what to make of that. Anyhow, I replaced that
> >plug with a new one.

> >Anyhow, I walked back to camp to get the PhazerII and call it into
service
> >(tow service). When I got back (.5 hr later) I tried in vain to start the
> >machine
> >again. I towed the thing with our PhazerII back to it's garage, muscled
the
> >thing into the garage and gave it one more try... it F'ing fired-up! It
> >popped
> >once from the last throttle thwack it got as it was originally dying but
> >seemed
> >to idle for a couple of seconds and sounded okay. Then I just shut it
down
> >'cause I had some other matters to attend to.

> >So, I don't know where it stands. It was *dead* as can be and after an
hour
> >or so decided it would run. Any insights/suggestions would be *most*
> >welcome indeed!

> >Thanks!


 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Daniel Marti » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Well the rust colored spark plug may indicate the problem.  When it
happened to me I checked all 3 and found one to be dry, very dry.
That ended up being the problem one where the piston blew.  

What I would do if  I were you is check your needles for each carb.
Only takes a few minutes and can save you lots of time.  The needle
has to be nice and clean with no sign of accumalated gas deposits.

Daniel Martin



Quote:

>Hey Daniel,

>Thanks for the reply and info.

>Actually my sled *did* start too, after an hour or so and after towing it
>a couple of miles 'cause it *wouldn't* start! I guess the fact that it ran
>after the tow should not be taken for granted... It's gonna happen
>again, but this time when I'm *way* out in the woods!

>Does the "rust" colored spark plug electrode mean anything to you?
>Could that indicate less-than-favorable cylinder/piston condition in
>that jug?

>Thanks again!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Dr. Z-Ope » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Got it, Daniel... thanks again for the info!

--
Sean (Dr. Z)


Quote:

> Well the rust colored spark plug may indicate the problem.  When it
> happened to me I checked all 3 and found one to be dry, very dry.
> That ended up being the problem one where the piston blew.

> What I would do if  I were you is check your needles for each carb.
> Only takes a few minutes and can save you lots of time.  The needle
> has to be nice and clean with no sign of accumalated gas deposits.

> Daniel Martin



> >Hey Daniel,

> >Thanks for the reply and info.

> >Actually my sled *did* start too, after an hour or so and after towing it
> >a couple of miles 'cause it *wouldn't* start! I guess the fact that it
ran
> >after the tow should not be taken for granted... It's gonna happen
> >again, but this time when I'm *way* out in the woods!

> >Does the "rust" colored spark plug electrode mean anything to you?
> >Could that indicate less-than-favorable cylinder/piston condition in
> >that jug?

> >Thanks again!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by mx_z » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

sounds to me like your stator might have gone out.  I have heard
of this happening to quite a few 98's.  Simple fix but hard
diagnostic.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Mini » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I would have to agree with mx_z.  My stator went out new years
eve.  Been happening to many Ck-III's.  costed $250 to fix.  I
got lucky and it didn't take long to diagnose the problem.  A 98
Mach 1 was in right before me, he had the same problem.  It took
many hours to diagnose his problem though.  It was the first
such problem the dealer had.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Dr. Z-Ope » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the response and info, MiniZ!

When I get the sled to my dealer up in Colebrook I'll suggest the
stator as well as the indications offered by Daniel and hopefully
my season is not over.

Much obliged!

--
Sean (Dr. Z)


Quote:
> I would have to agree with mx_z.  My stator went out new years
> eve.  Been happening to many Ck-III's.  costed $250 to fix.  I
> got lucky and it didn't take long to diagnose the problem.  A 98
> Mach 1 was in right before me, he had the same problem.  It took
> many hours to diagnose his problem though.  It was the first
> such problem the dealer had.

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
*
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by scotsworl » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

97 Mach 1 triple shut down just as you describe. Only 700 miles on it! I
don't know what to do. I guess I'd better open it up and see the damage. I
just bought this machine! rode it for only 30 miles!!!! I'm totaly sick with
sinking feeling, I bought this cause my cat was giving me tons of problems
And I wanted somthing more reliable! Boy did I get taken!
 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by SRXfre » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Another reason why Yamaha's heated carbs are so slick.  
Mark"SRXfreak"
 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by Daniel Marti » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I know the feeling...........


I was mad at all dealers and people that own sleds, why didn't they
warn me of this.

Now we all know that proper storage techniques and new season prep is
VERY VERY important.  Actually bringing your sled to a dealer for a
full check up may cost you but its a lot cheaper than replacing a
piston and cylinder.  Also when I took my sled to the dealer I was
surprised that the dealer did work on the sled that was covered by
extended warranties even if my sled was a 1998 G.T. 700.

This spring I will buy that $5.00 gas stabilizer and I will also
follow all storing procedures !

Daniel Martin



Quote:
>97 Mach 1 triple shut down just as you describe. Only 700 miles on it! I
>don't know what to do. I guess I'd better open it up and see the damage. I
>just bought this machine! rode it for only 30 miles!!!! I'm totaly sick with
>sinking feeling, I bought this cause my cat was giving me tons of problems
>And I wanted somthing more reliable! Boy did I get taken!

 
 
 

HELP: '98 Ski-Doo shut-down suddenly!!!

Post by scotsworl » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

My 97 Mach 1 shut down. I have entered a story on the newsgroup today. After
some reserch I've found that a hole is supposed to be drilled through the
upper case half to allow gas and oil mix to lubricate the pto side outer
bearing. apparently  skidoo thought it would lube through the bearing next
to it but it doesn't always. Thats why there's an update to advance the oil
pump timing a couple millimeters, and drill the port to the outer bearing.
Sounds reel hush hush. gota take the hole thing apart. Alot of fallures have
occured. Costs alot to fix it right. The add oil update is cheep and that's
all thats done. The newer models have synthetic grease packed in the outer
bearing for lubrication, still no lube from the combustion mixture. So this
may be soming you want to fix before you put it back together. Or it will
happen again.