The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Bob Sulliva » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:


> > Remember what I said..  Rumors or fact.

> >  I have heard from various sources, not the magazine rags that wouldn't
> > tell us this kind of info any way but, that the at least a couple of the
> > manufactures have  big inventory problems with 96 models in the
> > pipeline.  I'm wondering if they've got the same problem to some degree
> > that they had back in the 70's when they had overproduced and got
> > themselves into financial trouble because of it?  When a

> One thing that I know for certain is that the used sled market
> is glutted and prices are very low, so low in fact that I will
> probably not be selling my '96 ZRT 6.  If I had been able to get
> a reasonable price for it, I would probably be on a '97
> (although I don't know *which* '97).

> I think this is going to hurt new sled sales.  How many people
> can afford to lose half the value of a sled in a single season?

> Is it possible that the rapid introduction of new technology has
> actually *hurt* sled sales?  The '96 sleds are considered
> "obsolete" and most folks would rather pay a little more and get
> the very latest "goodies".  And if you can't get a decent price
> for last year's sled, you might be a bit more reluctant to trade
> up every year, not just because of the money you will lose this
> year but because you'll probably be back in the very same
> situation *next* year too.

> Just speculating here, everything I've written is: IMHO.

> --
> Doug

I know exactly where you are coming from here.  If the trade up to a 97
Ultra SP would have been reasonable, or if the local Doo dealer would
have REALLY wanted to convert someone from Doo to Polaris, I would be on
a 97.  It would take the manufacturer building the RIGHT sled and at the
right price for me to do this.

Lets say I could get about $4500-$5000 for my Ultra right now with the
overcroweded 1 year old sled market.  Ante up $6500 for the new sled,
$400 for studs, $100 for carbides, $600 for pipes, $150 for clutch work,
$75 for a skid plate, a couple of weekends installing everything, and
losing a lot of valuable "seat time" on the first couple of trips due to
tuning/tweaking/adjusting and fixing what the factory screwed up.  This
all adds up to a differential of $3325 + sales tax and a whole lot of
work.  This differential is too high.  Add in about $2-3000 for the cost
of the trips for the season, and you end up with this season costing me
about $5500-6000 if I trade sleds.  NO WAY.

Not to mention one of the only reasons that I drive a 4WD pickup is to
haul the snowmobile trailer.  I'm sure that cost me a few $$$'s more per
year that an alternative vehicle.

I'm not complaining here, just letting everyone know that the sled I
trade for MUST be the right one.  It better perform like it was hyped by
the mfg.  I must run "correct" right out of the box.  It must be built
correctly, ie: no broken motor mounts, bad pipes, flexing jackshafts,
coolant bottles that hit the brakes, correct springs installed, ...

Currently, none of the big 4 manufactures are build the sled that meets
my criteria.  When they do, I will upgrade.

Sorry about the ramblings,

Bob Sullivan
96 Ultra

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Bill Thorp » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:



> > > Remember what I said..  Rumors or fact.

> > >  I have heard from various sources, not the magazine rags that wouldn't
> > > tell us this kind of info any way but, that the at least a couple of the
> > > manufactures have  big inventory problems with 96 models in the
> > > pipeline.  I'm wondering if they've got the same problem to some degree
> > > that they had back in the 70's when they had overproduced and got
> > > themselves into financial trouble because of it?  When a

> > One thing that I know for certain is that the used sled market
> > is glutted and prices are very low, so low in fact that I will
> > probably not be selling my '96 ZRT 6.  If I had been able to get
> > a reasonable price for it, I would probably be on a '97
> > (although I don't know *which* '97).

> > I think this is going to hurt new sled sales.  How many people
> > can afford to lose half the value of a sled in a single season?

> > Is it possible that the rapid introduction of new technology has
> > actually *hurt* sled sales?  The '96 sleds are considered
> > "obsolete" and most folks would rather pay a little more and get
> > the very latest "goodies".  And if you can't get a decent price
> > for last year's sled, you might be a bit more reluctant to trade
> > up every year, not just because of the money you will lose this
> > year but because you'll probably be back in the very same
> > situation *next* year too.

> > Just speculating here, everything I've written is: IMHO.

> > --
> > Doug

> I know exactly where you are coming from here.  If the trade up to a 97
> Ultra SP would have been reasonable, or if the local Doo dealer would
> have REALLY wanted to convert someone from Doo to Polaris, I would be on
> a 97.  It would take the manufacturer building the RIGHT sled and at the
> right price for me to do this.

> Lets say I could get about $4500-$5000 for my Ultra right now with the
> overcroweded 1 year old sled market.  Ante up $6500 for the new sled,
> $400 for studs, $100 for carbides, $600 for pipes, $150 for clutch work,
> $75 for a skid plate, a couple of weekends installing everything, and
> losing a lot of valuable "seat time" on the first couple of trips due to
> tuning/tweaking/adjusting and fixing what the factory screwed up.  This
> all adds up to a differential of $3325 + sales tax and a whole lot of
> work.  This differential is too high.  Add in about $2-3000 for the cost
> of the trips for the season, and you end up with this season costing me
> about $5500-6000 if I trade sleds.  NO WAY.

> Not to mention one of the only reasons that I drive a 4WD pickup is to
> haul the snowmobile trailer.  I'm sure that cost me a few $$$'s more per
> year that an alternative vehicle.

> I'm not complaining here, just letting everyone know that the sled I
> trade for MUST be the right one.  It better perform like it was hyped by
> the mfg.  I must run "correct" right out of the box.  It must be built
> correctly, ie: no broken motor mounts, bad pipes, flexing jackshafts,
> coolant bottles that hit the brakes, correct springs installed, ...

> Currently, none of the big 4 manufactures are build the sled that meets
> my criteria.  When they do, I will upgrade.

> Sorry about the ramblings,

> Bob Sullivan
> 96 Ultra

One thing that you have to remember is that next year the cost to move
up is going to be larger due to your sled being a year older, and the
new sleds '98's will be more expensive. However, if you stay one year
behind, like trading up to a '97 next year, it will cost you a lot less,
and you will aready know what was good and what was bad. Plus the
previous owner of the sled will have everything dialed in and broken in
for you.
Bill Thorpe

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Tom Ave » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Gotta talk to the right dealer....

Just traded my '96 Ultra for a '97 Ultra.

I'm keeping my studded track, Dealer will swap the tracks for me.
I've pulled the carbs and reeds, clutches, pipes. Dealer will
pull carbs, reeds, and clutches off the '97 and put them on
the '96. I put the old skis back on. Dealer is getting the airbox
and exhaust in a box. :)   Dealer ends up with a '96 Ultra SP,
1090 mi, and half of it is New! Oh ya, the hood and seat only
have 400 mi. on them!

I end up with the motor and jackshaft updates, a new warranty,
and the lighter weight CRC front end.

My cost $1000.

BTW - The dealer is SouthEast Harley Davidson, on the east
side of Cleveland, Ohio.

TA

Quote:


>> One thing that I know for certain is that the used sled market
>> is glutted and prices are very low, so low in fact that I will
>> probably not be selling my '96 ZRT 6.  If I had been able to get
>> a reasonable price for it, I would probably be on a '97
>> (although I don't know *which* '97).

>> I think this is going to hurt new sled sales.  How many people
>> can afford to lose half the value of a sled in a single season?

>> Is it possible that the rapid introduction of new technology has
>> actually *hurt* sled sales?  The '96 sleds are considered
>> "obsolete" and most folks would rather pay a little more and get
>> the very latest "goodies".  And if you can't get a decent price
>> for last year's sled, you might be a bit more reluctant to trade
>> up every year, not just because of the money you will lose this
>> year but because you'll probably be back in the very same
>> situation *next* year too.

>> Just speculating here, everything I've written is: IMHO.

>> --
>> Doug
>I know exactly where you are coming from here.  If the trade up to a 97
>Ultra SP would have been reasonable, or if the local Doo dealer would
>have REALLY wanted to convert someone from Doo to Polaris, I would be on
>a 97.  It would take the manufacturer building the RIGHT sled and at the
>right price for me to do this.
>Lets say I could get about $4500-$5000 for my Ultra right now with the
>overcroweded 1 year old sled market.  Ante up $6500 for the new sled,
>$400 for studs, $100 for carbides, $600 for pipes, $150 for clutch work,
>$75 for a skid plate, a couple of weekends installing everything, and
>losing a lot of valuable "seat time" on the first couple of trips due to
>tuning/tweaking/adjusting and fixing what the factory screwed up.  This
>all adds up to a differential of $3325 + sales tax and a whole lot of
>work.  This differential is too high.  Add in about $2-3000 for the cost
>of the trips for the season, and you end up with this season costing me
>about $5500-6000 if I trade sleds.  NO WAY.
>Not to mention one of the only reasons that I drive a 4WD pickup is to
>haul the snowmobile trailer.  I'm sure that cost me a few $$$'s more per
>year that an alternative vehicle.
>I'm not complaining here, just letting everyone know that the sled I
>trade for MUST be the right one.  It better perform like it was hyped by
>the mfg.  I must run "correct" right out of the box.  It must be built
>correctly, ie: no broken motor mounts, bad pipes, flexing jackshafts,
>coolant bottles that hit the brakes, correct springs installed, ...
>Currently, none of the big 4 manufactures are build the sled that meets
>my criteria.  When they do, I will upgrade.
>Sorry about the ramblings,
>Bob Sullivan
>96 Ultra

TA
--
Tom Avery
XTRA Special XLT
'Unofficial' Gates *** Test Pilot


 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Travis Johnso » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Gotta talk to the right dealer....

> Just traded my '96 Ultra for a '97 Ultra.

> I'm keeping my studded track, Dealer will swap the tracks for me.
> I've pulled the carbs and reeds, clutches, pipes. Dealer will
> pull carbs, reeds, and clutches off the '97 and put them on
> the '96. I put the old skis back on. Dealer is getting the airbox
> and exhaust in a box. :)   Dealer ends up with a '96 Ultra SP,
> 1090 mi, and half of it is New! Oh ya, the hood and seat only
> have 400 mi. on them!

> I end up with the motor and jackshaft updates, a new warranty,
> and the lighter weight CRC front end.

> My cost $1000.

> BTW - The dealer is SouthEast Harley Davidson, on the east
> side of Cleveland, Ohio.

> --
> Tom Avery
> XTRA Special XLT
> 'Unofficial' Gates *** Test Pilot


You are getting a GREAT deal... the three largest dealers in this area
(Polaris, Skidoo and Arctic Cat) aren't taking ANY trades, regardless of
price!

Travis

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by sloa » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

This brings up a topic I've been meaning to address.

What's the situation around the US and Canada on the used sled market.
Here's what's happening in Northern Lower Michigan:  So many people
bought brand new sleds the last couple of years that the used sled
market is FLOODED.  I bought a 1997 Ski-Doo, it's sitting in my garage.
I'm trying to sell a 1995 XCR 600 in absolutely mint condition for
$3,700 and I hardly get any calls.  The local newspapers are full of
used sleds for sale.  This is the last new sled I will buy for a while
because I'm taking such a beating on selling my old one.

I think that the record sales of sleds over the past few years has
glutted the market.  Prices on new models aren't rising that much, more
people are buying new, and the used sleds just aren't moving.

Is this just in my area?  I'd like to hear whether it's the same around
the country.  Or is the used sled market strong everywhere else?

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Travis Johnso » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> This brings up a topic I've been meaning to address.

> What's the situation around the US and Canada on the used sled market.
> Here's what's happening in Northern Lower Michigan:  So many people
> bought brand new sleds the last couple of years that the used sled
> market is FLOODED.  I bought a 1997 Ski-Doo, it's sitting in my garage.
> I'm trying to sell a 1995 XCR 600 in absolutely mint condition for
> $3,700 and I hardly get any calls.  The local newspapers are full of
> used sleds for sale.  This is the last new sled I will buy for a while
> because I'm taking such a beating on selling my old one.

> I think that the record sales of sleds over the past few years has
> glutted the market.  Prices on new models aren't rising that much, more
> people are buying new, and the used sleds just aren't moving.

> Is this just in my area?  I'd like to hear whether it's the same around
> the country.  Or is the used sled market strong everywhere else?

Almost the same exact thing around here (Idaho Falls, Idaho). 3 of the 4
local dealers won't take ANY trades, regardless of price! It's getting
real hard to sell a used machine...

Travis

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Brian Neme » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Gotta talk to the right dealer....

> > Just traded my '96 Ultra for a '97 Ultra.
> > I end up with the motor and jackshaft updates, a new warranty,
> > and the lighter weight CRC front end.

> > My cost $1000.

> > BTW - The dealer is SouthEast Harley Davidson, on the east
> > side of Cleveland, Ohio.

> > --
> > Tom Avery
> > XTRA Special XLT
> > 'Unofficial' Gates *** Test Pilot

> You are getting a GREAT deal... the three largest dealers in this area
> (Polaris, Skidoo and Arctic Cat) aren't taking ANY trades, regardless of
> price!

> Travis

Dealers not taking Trades?  Come on!  They want to sell new sleds!
Numbers count.  Trade, cash, finance. They don't care.
New sled sales are what dealers are after.

IMHO

Brian

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Bill Thorp » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


> > This brings up a topic I've been meaning to address.

> > What's the situation around the US and Canada on the used sled market.
> > Here's what's happening in Northern Lower Michigan:  So many people
> > bought brand new sleds the last couple of years that the used sled
> > market is FLOODED.  I bought a 1997 Ski-Doo, it's sitting in my garage.
> > I'm trying to sell a 1995 XCR 600 in absolutely mint condition for
> > $3,700 and I hardly get any calls.  The local newspapers are full of
> > used sleds for sale.  This is the last new sled I will buy for a while
> > because I'm taking such a beating on selling my old one.

> > I think that the record sales of sleds over the past few years has
> > glutted the market.  Prices on new models aren't rising that much, more
> > people are buying new, and the used sleds just aren't moving.

> > Is this just in my area?  I'd like to hear whether it's the same around
> > the country.  Or is the used sled market strong everywhere else?

> Almost the same exact thing around here (Idaho Falls, Idaho). 3 of the 4
> local dealers won't take ANY trades, regardless of price! It's getting
> real hard to sell a used machine...

> Travis

If anyone has a machine that they can not keep and can not sell, I will
take donations. I know of several college students who can not afford
sleds, but would love to have one. Anyone want to donate their used
sleds to 'charity' let me know.
Bill Thorpe
 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by William Verno » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
> If anyone has a machine that they can not keep and can not sell, I will
> take donations. I know of several college students who can not afford
> sleds, but would love to have one. Anyone want to donate their used
> sleds to 'charity' let me know.
> Bill Thorpe

When I was in college, I couldn't afford a pizza on Friday night let alone
drive a sled.  Just keep studying guys, eventually you will be able to
afford the toys.
That is, if you're not studying some worthless major like communications,
in which case you're probably not studying anyway.  Oh, hold off on the
wife and brats as long as possible also.  Good luck!
 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Lorne Loud » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:
: If anyone has a machine that they can not keep and can not sell, I will
: take donations. I know of several college students who can not afford
: sleds, but would love to have one. Anyone want to donate their used
: sleds to 'charity' let me know.
: Bill Thorpe
Dido, I'm going to University and work only to keep the snowmobil running

Lorne Louden                                            !~\\
1981 (A.C.) Scorpion Sidewinder                        o!   \\..
                                        /``\         /  scorpion'..  
                          ~~~          |    --------/  ____________'>
                        ~~~            \____________   /----- _o_/
                             ~~~~        /{}_______ / '    __~___~___/

 
 
 

The Used Sled Market (was RE: Rumor or Fact??)

Post by Lorne Loud » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: This brings up a topic I've been meaning to address.
:
: What's the situation around the US and Canada on the used sled market.
: Here's what's happening in Northern Lower Michigan:  So many people
: bought brand new sleds the last couple of years that the used sled
: market is FLOODED.  I bought a 1997 Ski-Doo, it's sitting in my garage.
: I'm trying to sell a 1995 XCR 600 in absolutely mint condition for
: $3,700 and I hardly get any calls.  The local newspapers are full of
: used sleds for sale.  This is the last new sled I will buy for a while
: because I'm taking such a beating on selling my old one.
:
: I think that the record sales of sleds over the past few years has
: glutted the market.  Prices on new models aren't rising that much, more
: people are buying new, and the used sleds just aren't moving.

I think one point you forgot to mention is; snowmobil tech has improved by
leaps and bounds in the last few years, and the average joe loves the new
soft rides available.  This combined with the fact that more snow has
fallen in the past few years have pushed up the new sled sales in many
areas...
        my area in Edmonton is even worse, sleds are selling very good, so
it's not worth buying used because you are getting old used tech for 10 -
15 % lower than this years price.  I am a student, and a mid 80's indy is
still selling for $3000 canadian...or more so I am tempted to buy new...

Hey by the way how much would a 85 - 92 indy 500 or 650 sell for in your
area????  If they are cheep there mabey I will buy one and ship it.

Lorne Louden                                            !~\\
1981 (A.C.) Scorpion Sidewinder                        o!   \\..
                                        /``\         /  scorpion'..  
                          ~~~          |    --------/  ____________'>
                        ~~~            \____________   /----- _o_/
                             ~~~~        /{}_______ / '    __~___~___/