Hand warmers not working..

Hand warmers not working..

Post by YamahaSX70 » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:59:57


The weather has not been cold enough to actually need them, but nonetheless
they are
not working after testing them out. The thumb throttle heater is not working
neither..
Sled is 97 sx700
Checked the wiring harness going into the handle bars, lubed with electric
grease, thats about it...
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Morley

 
 
 

Hand warmers not working..

Post by NY_SXR70 » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:21:57

Morley, did I cover this with you in totally groups? I gave someone a
complete procedure for figuring out why they were not working. If you have a
volt/ohm meter you can tell in 5 min where the problem is. Don't you live
outside of Toronto? If you have that meter and still can't find the problem
then I have 2 questions.

 Q1,  Are you 100% sure you used the meter correctly. (please do not be
offended by this question)

Q2, If you are 100% sure you know how to use your meter and it gave you
correct readings then tell me what each of the 3 heater elements gave you.
Also what was the voltage on the supply line feeding them while disconnected
and a reading while under load.

I will do the readings on mine if you want you can call me and I will walk
you through the repair. I think you have my E-mail and one of the E-mails
might have my number. If you need help I am here accross the lake.

Doug

01' SXR700
Rochester, NY


Quote:
> The weather has not been cold enough to actually need them, but
nonetheless
> they are
> not working after testing them out. The thumb throttle heater is not
working
> neither..
> Sled is 97 sx700
> Checked the wiring harness going into the handle bars, lubed with electric
> grease, thats about it...
> Any other ideas?
> Thanks

> Morley


 
 
 

Hand warmers not working..

Post by DPEV » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:30:30

Doug,
I had posted a similar question yesterday, so I wonder if you could comment on
my situation.  My thumb heater doesn't work (dash indicator doesn't light
either) It's a '95 Summit 670.  Grip warmers work correctly. Checked switch
with meter - ok.  resistances across heater elements were 3.7V, 4.2V, 1.0V.  
Most everything is buried in wiring harnesses, so it's tough to follow the
wires.  Was looking for experiences from people as to where in these circuits
problems usually crop up.

Thanx,
Don

Quote:
>Morley, did I cover this with you in totally groups? I gave someone a
>complete procedure for figuring out why they were not working. If you have a
>volt/ohm meter you can tell in 5 min where the problem is. Don't you live
>outside of Toronto? If you have that meter and still can't find the problem
>then I have 2 questions.

> Q1,  Are you 100% sure you used the meter correctly. (please do not be
>offended by this question)

>Q2, If you are 100% sure you know how to use your meter and it gave you
>correct readings then tell me what each of the 3 heater elements gave you.
>Also what was the voltage on the supply line feeding them while disconnected
>and a reading while under load.

>I will do the readings on mine if you want you can call me and I will walk
>you through the repair. I think you have my E-mail and one of the E-mails
>might have my number. If you need help I am here accross the lake.

>Doug

>01' SXR700
>Rochester, NY



>> The weather has not been cold enough to actually need them, but
>nonetheless
>> they are
>> not working after testing them out. The thumb throttle heater is not
>working
>> neither..
>> Sled is 97 sx700
>> Checked the wiring harness going into the handle bars, lubed with electric
>> grease, thats about it...
>> Any other ideas?
>> Thanks

>> Morley


 
 
 

Hand warmers not working..

Post by NY_SXR70 » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:54:49

You give resistance but add a "V" at the end indicating voltage. If you mean
ohms I doubt it's that low of resistance. 1.0 is a dead short (or current
limiting resistor whish I am sure is not in there). check the scale on your
meter and see that you are in OHMS with the sled turned off. Also disconnect
the thumb warmer from any other wires (Isolate it to itself) ohm it from
wire to wire. If your meter is digital it will read 1.0 OHM or 10.0 ohms or
100.0 ohms or 1.0K Ohms look and watch the decimal point and look at the K
in the meter (meaning 1000). I would bet that the heater element is in the
very high ohm range.

Doug


Quote:
> Doug,
> I had posted a similar question yesterday, so I wonder if you could
comment on
> my situation.  My thumb heater doesn't work (dash indicator doesn't light
> either) It's a '95 Summit 670.  Grip warmers work correctly. Checked
switch
> with meter - ok.  resistances across heater elements were 3.7V, 4.2V,
1.0V.
> Most everything is buried in wiring harnesses, so it's tough to follow the
> wires.  Was looking for experiences from people as to where in these
circuits
> problems usually crop up.

> Thanx,
> Don

> >Morley, did I cover this with you in totally groups? I gave someone a
> >complete procedure for figuring out why they were not working. If you
have a
> >volt/ohm meter you can tell in 5 min where the problem is. Don't you live
> >outside of Toronto? If you have that meter and still can't find the
problem
> >then I have 2 questions.

> > Q1,  Are you 100% sure you used the meter correctly. (please do not be
> >offended by this question)

> >Q2, If you are 100% sure you know how to use your meter and it gave you
> >correct readings then tell me what each of the 3 heater elements gave
you.
> >Also what was the voltage on the supply line feeding them while
disconnected
> >and a reading while under load.

> >I will do the readings on mine if you want you can call me and I will
walk
> >you through the repair. I think you have my E-mail and one of the E-mails
> >might have my number. If you need help I am here accross the lake.

> >Doug

> >01' SXR700
> >Rochester, NY



> >> The weather has not been cold enough to actually need them, but
> >nonetheless
> >> they are
> >> not working after testing them out. The thumb throttle heater is not
> >working
> >> neither..
> >> Sled is 97 sx700
> >> Checked the wiring harness going into the handle bars, lubed with
electric
> >> grease, thats about it...
> >> Any other ideas?
> >> Thanks

> >> Morley