Beacom's sentence

Beacom's sentence

Post by OKsf » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>> If Gary Beacom walked into court with this argument, they are
>>probably still laughing at him
... snip...
>>     Fed Chairman Bud Greenspan can belch something that sounds like the
>>word "inflation" and the stock market flips over.  You say that
>>inflation is a reason for nobody to pay taxes?!!!  Now I've heard
>>everything!!!  Gary Beacom is smarter than that, I hope.

If my memory serves me right, isn`t Bud Greenspan the person responsible for
 the documentary type program about he Olympic Games in Lillehammer? I believe
 Alan/Allen Greenspan is the Fed Chairman.
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by BOBEKBCK » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
> If Gary Beacom walked into court with this argument, they are
>probably still laughing at him.  Should Gary now claim that since
>American postage used to be at 1 cent that the post office is illegal
>for charging 30.5 cents (first class bulk rate) for the tickets
>Tickmaster mails for Champions on Ice (which also happen to pay the
>salary he doesn't want to report)?  Since I have old ads for new cars at
>$2500, can I have my local car dealer arrested for extortion thanks to
>the higher prices now?
>     Fed Chairman Bud Greenspan can belch something that sounds like the
>word "inflation" and the stock market flips over.  You say that
>inflation is a reason for nobody to pay taxes?!!!  Now I've heard
>everything!!!  Gary Beacom is smarter than that, I hope.

Hey Joe,
   Come on down off that high horse you think you ride, check your hearing
and please show me where I said there was ANY reason for NOT paying taxes?
You can't because I said no such thing. Now that's what I call funny. I
merely stated that I "admired Beacom's courage" for standing up for what he
believes to be right. Go ahead and insult my intelligence if you like, I
could care less of your opinion of me. But be honest Joe, doesn't that
sorta thing really say more about you than it does about me?
Just the same...Take Care anyway.  
Robert Bruce Myers

"In the last analysis all tyranny rests on fraud, on getting someone to
accept false assumptions, and any man who for one moment abandons or
suspends the questioning spirit has for that moment betrayed humanity."
Bergen Evans

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by OKsf » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>Folks, folks...like I told the other thread...this one is getting way off
>the topic of skating, don't you think? A big fight is even brewing over
>here because of it.

>Maybe someone could find a way to steer this back to how this affects
>Gary's ability to skate, instead of arguing the legality of taxes.

>--
>Trudi
>President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

>To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

Put a Cork in it Trudi, when you stop talking about baseball & all your other
 topics unrelated to skating perhaps other people will follow your advice, but
 don`t come in here & play your "I`m the almighty keeper of this newsgroup" act
 when you post as many off topic messages as any one in this group.

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Folks, folks...like I told the other thread...this one is getting way off
the topic of skating, don't you think? A big fight is even brewing over
here because of it.

Maybe someone could find a way to steer this back to how this affects
Gary's ability to skate, instead of arguing the legality of taxes.

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Louis Epste » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: Howdy Y'all(Beacom type talk),
:    I must admit, I rather admire this Canadian Beacom for having the
: courage to  take a stand. It just too easy to say "Well, I have to pay
: taxes so why shouldn't he." (my words.) In a very profound way, his fight
: is every American taxpayers fight. Now I'm no expert on the subject, mind
: you, but I believe when the income tax was first introduced, the tax rate
: was something along the lines of  1 or 2 percent of your total earned
: income. Today that figure is now roughly 39%, depending of course on your
: income. Add to that the fact that everything you purchase with the money
: the government lets you keep is taxed and  that figure fast approaches 50%.
: I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a wee bit high to me.

In the 1960s the rate was 78%!

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Monysm » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>>Folks, folks...like I told the other thread...this one is getting way off
>>the topic of skating, don't you think? A big fight is even brewing over
>>here because of it.

>>Maybe someone could find a way to steer this back to how this affects
>>Gary's ability to skate, instead of arguing the legality of taxes.

>>--
>>Trudi
>>President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

>>To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

>Put a Cork in it Trudi, when you stop talking about baseball & all your other
> topics unrelated to skating perhaps other people will follow your advice,
>but
> don`t come in here & play your "I`m the almighty keeper of this newsgroup"
>act
> when you post as many off topic messages as any one in this group.

ROTFLMAO!
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Revjoel » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>>>Folks, folks...like I told the other thread...this one is getting way off

 the topic of skating, don't you think? A big fight is even brewing over here
 because of it.

Well I dunno Trudi...this one is hard to call...when a skater takes a stand on
 something, its hard not to discuss your opinion on that...I agree getting in a
 big fight about tax philosophy is not really a great idea...but I just think
 this is a bit dicy.  course I guess you could say Gary's opinion on taxes is
 as relevant here as his *** orientation.

And might I suggest instead of getting in a big fight about whether or not we
 should discuss taxes (so that in addition to a tax discussion we have a
 discussion about the discussion) if you really feel like you didn't get your
 say here--go ahead and post it--personally I'd prefer to read that than
 another argument about free speech. This can  work if everyone doesn't feel
 like they have to have the last word on the subject.

Joelle

"My goal is to defeat this thing on every front.  I got it out of my body.  And
 now I've got to get back to where I was.  When I do that, I win."
- Scott Hamilton, People Magazine

Scott Hamilton Web Page: http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:


> >>Folks, folks...like I told the other thread...this one is getting way off
> >>the topic of skating, don't you think? A big fight is even brewing over
> >>here because of it.

> >>Maybe someone could find a way to steer this back to how this affects
> >>Gary's ability to skate, instead of arguing the legality of taxes.

> >>--
> >>Trudi
> >>President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

> >>To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

> >Put a Cork in it Trudi, when you stop talking about baseball & all your other
> > topics unrelated to skating perhaps other people will follow your advice,
> >but
> > don`t come in here & play your "I`m the almighty keeper of this newsgroup"
> >act
> > when you post as many off topic messages as any one in this group.

> ROTFLMAO!

Oh, blow it out your ears, both of you. The ONLY way I ever really talked
about baseball here was when I expressed my dilemma of a conflict with the
Legends coverage. That hardly constitutes "talking about baseball," and I
haven't brought other topics in here like some of you do.

And I'm not the "almighty keeper of this newsgroup," nor do I think I am.
Nor do I post off-topic messages like the rest of you.

Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I
try to remind you someone is going off topic. If it wasn't for people like
me and Sandra this would have become the Drunk Driving/Princess
Diana/Taxes newsgroup a long time ago.

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by OKsf » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>Oh, blow it out your ears, both of you. The ONLY way I ever really talked
>about baseball here was when I expressed my dilemma of a conflict with the
>Legends coverage. That hardly constitutes "talking about baseball," and I
>haven't brought other topics in here like some of you do.

I`m not the one constantly snivelling about the off topic posts,
YOU are!!

Quote:
>And I'm not the "almighty keeper of this newsgroup," nor do I think I am.
>Nor do I post off-topic messages like the rest of you.

No, you just selectively respond to the off topic posts that suit you, & snivel
 about the ones you disagree with.

Quote:

>Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I
>try to remind you someone is going off topic.

For the most part, we are ***s here & are quite capable of scanning through &
 weeding out the posts we don`t care to read,
without having to constantly be plagued with your incessant ramblings
 concerning off topic posts. I for one consider all this "International
 Skate-Trolling Union" crap, an insult to the intelligence of the people who
 would like to be more involved with this newsgroup but have given up on it,
 rather than be subjected to your arrogant nonsense. I am NOT going away.
get used to it.

Quote:
>If it wasn't for people like
>me and Sandra this would have become the Drunk Driving/Princess
>Diana/Taxes newsgroup a long time ago.

Above is a prime example of your arrogance, you just can`t seem to grasp the
 fact you are trying to control the content of this newsgroup to suit your own
 interests. Whenever you are confronted you always manage to either consider
 your opposition a troll or some other form of disruption of the newsgroup. I
 wouldn`t call my words  "Pot Shots" I am simply fed up (You can rest assured
 that I am not alone) with your brand of censorship.
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Oh, blow it out your ears, both of you. The ONLY way I ever really talked
> >about baseball here was when I expressed my dilemma of a conflict with the
> >Legends coverage. That hardly constitutes "talking about baseball," and I
> >haven't brought other topics in here like some of you do.

> I`m not the one constantly snivelling about the off topic posts,
> YOU are!!

It's not "sniveling," only you characterize it as such because YOU don't
like it. It's legitimate complaint. You choose to label it negatively
because you don't like it, that's all.

Quote:
> >And I'm not the "almighty keeper of this newsgroup," nor do I think I am.
> >Nor do I post off-topic messages like the rest of you.

> No, you just selectively respond to the off topic posts that suit you, &
snivel
>  about the ones you disagree with.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. I do not. In fact, I try very hard not to
because I know the very second I even mention a word here that doesn't
have to do with skating--even ONE SINGLE WORD--people like you are going
to leap on it and say "Oh, Trudi, that hypocrite, she's going OFF TOPIC
AGAIN like she always complains about other people doing!" Sheesh.

Quote:
> >Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I
> >try to remind you someone is going off topic.

> For the most part, we are ***s here & are quite capable of scanning
through &
>  weeding out the posts we don`t care to read,

Which will soon take over the entire newsgroup if some people have their
way. I'm saying, "we ***s" shouldn't be burdened with that when the
"posts we don't care to read" have nothing to do with skating, else what
is a newsgroup for?

Quote:
> without having to constantly be plagued with your incessant ramblings
>  concerning off topic posts.

Oh, baloney. I'm not the only one who gets annoyed, and you know it.
Trying to demonize me as the only person who cares is a transparent piece
of crap. And yes, I label it as such because it's my opinion that it is.

Quote:
> I for one consider all this "International
>  Skate-Trolling Union" crap, an insult to the intelligence of the people who
>  would like to be more involved with this newsgroup but have given up on it,
>  rather than be subjected to your arrogant nonsense.

Like this newsgroup NEEDS more trolls who deliberately try to stir up
trouble by being ***s. If that's the kind of group you want to read,
fine. Go to alt. skate. You should find it just your speed.

Quote:
> I am NOT going away.
> get used to it.

If you don't want to go away, fine. When you have contributed something of
half the substance some other decent people have contributed here, maybe I
will take your insults more seriously. Until then, I have little to be
concerned about when newbies come in here and *** away at me. You call
it arrogance. I call it earning the right to be listened to.

Quote:
> >If it wasn't for people like
> >me and Sandra this would have become the Drunk Driving/Princess
> >Diana/Taxes newsgroup a long time ago.

> Above is a prime example of your arrogance,

Oh, bullshit. I am just telling it like it is.

Quote:
> you just can`t seem to grasp the
>  fact you are trying to control the content of this newsgroup to suit your own
>  interests.

Like FIGURE SKATING????? Gosh, I thought that's what it was FOR! Please
enlighten me, O Newbie (or at least that's what your screen name makes you
look like), from all my years of mistaking this for a *figure skating*
newsgroup. Believe me, I'll never darken its door again if it turns out to
be about something I have no interest in discussing.

Quote:
> Whenever you are confronted you always

Well, there's a great reason not to listen to you. You used the phrase
"You always..." Nobody "always" or "never" does anything.

Quote:
> manage to either consider
>  your opposition a troll or some other form of disruption of the newsgroup.

I SOMETIMES do this, and that's when some of them ARE. Did that thought
ever enter your mind, or did you just make up your mind that because you
didn't like me, I must be wrong all the time?

Quote:
> I
>  wouldn`t call my words  "Pot Shots" I am simply fed up (You can rest assured
>  that I am not alone) with your brand of censorship.

Reason number two not to like you: the old "I am not alone, there are lots
of faceless, nameless minions of people behind me who agree with me but
are too afraid to say what they think" bullshit. The argument of cowards
who are too scared to stand up for what they have to say without having to
point to phantom supporters who for some strange reason never make
themselves known.

Get this straight and get it straight right now. I am not trying to win
popularity contests here. I am trying (with the help of others) to
maintain this newsgroup as a place to discuss figure skating, not a
zillion other topics. You tell me to filter it out if I don't like it when
people go off topic. No, that's not the answer. The answer is for the
people who want to go off topic to TAKE IT TO MAIL. To adjust their
behavior for the sake of the rest of the group, rather than expecting the
rest of the group to "deal with it or take the extra effort needed to sift
it out."

And that's all I have to say about it. If I haven't earned the right
through the years I've been here to ask that much of people in this
group--along with other people like Sandra Loosemore and Joelle--then I
really *don't* belong here.

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Spam Hat » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>>Oh, blow it out your ears, both of you. The ONLY way I ever really talked
>>about baseball here was when I expressed my dilemma of a conflict with the
>>Legends coverage. That hardly constitutes "talking about baseball," and I
>>haven't brought other topics in here like some of you do.

>I`m not the one constantly snivelling about the off topic posts,
>YOU are!!

>>And I'm not the "almighty keeper of this newsgroup," nor do I think I am.
>>Nor do I post off-topic messages like the rest of you.

>No, you just selectively respond to the off topic posts that suit you, & snivel
> about the ones you disagree with.

>>Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I
>>try to remind you someone is going off topic.

>For the most part, we are ***s here & are quite capable of scanning through &
> weeding out the posts we don`t care to read,
>without having to constantly be plagued with your incessant ramblings
> concerning off topic posts. I for one consider all this "International
> Skate-Trolling Union" crap, an insult to the intelligence of the people who
> would like to be more involved with this newsgroup but have given up on it,
> rather than be subjected to your arrogant nonsense. I am NOT going away.
>get used to it.

>>If it wasn't for people like
>>me and Sandra this would have become the Drunk Driving/Princess
>>Diana/Taxes newsgroup a long time ago.

>Above is a prime example of your arrogance, you just can`t seem to grasp the
> fact you are trying to control the content of this newsgroup to suit your own
> interests. Whenever you are confronted you always manage to either consider
> your opposition a troll or some other form of disruption of the newsgroup. I
> wouldn`t call my words  "Pot Shots" I am simply fed up (You can rest assured
> that I am not alone) with your brand of censorship.

All I know is whenever she makes posts concerning people's posting
"off-topic", it spawns a thread of flames.  That in itself is quite
off-topic and must be a real joy to those with a UNIX news client.  

Talking about one's dilemna of watching skating over baseball is not
that interesting, either.  It could spawn sarcastic threads of "Gee,
should I watch Legends or a rerun of Home Improvement?"  Luckily, it
only encouraged some other people nodding their heads in agreement or
short posts about Baseball/Football.  Most people expertly inserted a
segment of s sentence about Brian or Legends, but at least 90% of
their posts were clearly talking about non-skating sports.  
For example, Trudi wrote, in response to someone's suggestion to buy a
fancy TV,

"I have bills up the ying-yang. Will you buy me one? :-)

Oh and BTW, I meant Game TWO was beginner's luck and a fluke. Game
TWO.
Did you hear that, gods? Game TWO was a fluke. Wright can't ever pitch
that well again. I know it.

Go Brian!"

Look it up at DejaNews under the thread "Cleveland Indians Trying to
Drive Skating Fans Crazy" and see how many posts are essentially
non-skating related.

Oh, I'm still wondering how anyone KNOWS the Diana thread would not
have died a natural death of Trudi
(and Sandra} did not post excessively about posting not off-topic.
Actually, it looked more like she diverted it from that thread to a
flame about posting off-topic posts!

Ah, this post related to skating because uh, skaters are human, just
like us!  Yeah!  And uh, I hope Skate America isn't on when ER is!

Go Brian!

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Louis Epste » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

:
: All I know is whenever she makes posts concerning people's posting
: "off-topic", it spawns a thread of flames.  That in itself is quite
: off-topic and must be a real joy to those with a UNIX news client.  

Where's the connection?

(I use tin,there are lots of others with different functionalities!)

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by SH Pu » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>>Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I try

 to remind you someone is going off topic. <<

:o)

Quote:
>>If it wasn't for people like me and Sandra this would have become the Drunk

 Driving/Princess Diana/Taxes newsgroup a long time ago.<<

:o))    Many groups have become just that.

--Suzie  (who, by the way, thinks she's already grown-up....just not mentally
 mature. . .)

-----------

For more information on Arkham Asylum's
patients, please call 1 800 ARKHAM 97

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Spam Hat » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


>:
>: All I know is whenever she makes posts concerning people's posting
>: "off-topic", it spawns a thread of flames.  That in itself is quite
>: off-topic and must be a real joy to those with a UNIX news client.  

>Where's the connection?

>(I use tin,there are lots of others with different functionalities!)

Beats me, but that is often used as an argument for minimizing
off-topic posts.  I use lovely rn on one account and it's possible to
kill threads you don't care about.  To have to view each article is
ridiculous.

 Ok, so another argument people use is they download all articles to a
newsgroup and read them off-line, for those who pay by usage.  :)

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by SH Pu » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:



>> >Oh, blow it out your ears, both of you. The ONLY way I ever really talked
>> >about baseball here was when I expressed my dilemma of a conflict with the
>> >Legends coverage. That hardly constitutes "talking about baseball," and I
>> >haven't brought other topics in here like some of you do.

>> I`m not the one constantly snivelling about the off topic posts,
>> YOU are!!

>It's not "sniveling," only you characterize it as such because YOU don't
>like it. It's legitimate complaint. You choose to label it negatively
>because you don't like it, that's all.

>> >And I'm not the "almighty keeper of this newsgroup," nor do I think I am.
>> >Nor do I post off-topic messages like the rest of you.

>> No, you just selectively respond to the off topic posts that suit you, &
>snivel
>>  about the ones you disagree with.

>I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. I do not. In fact, I try very hard not to
>because I know the very second I even mention a word here that doesn't
>have to do with skating--even ONE SINGLE WORD--people like you are going
>to leap on it and say "Oh, Trudi, that hypocrite, she's going OFF TOPIC
>AGAIN like she always complains about other people doing!" Sheesh.

>> >Why don't some of you grow up and stop taking potshots at me every time I
>> >try to remind you someone is going off topic.

>> For the most part, we are ***s here & are quite capable of scanning
>through &
>>  weeding out the posts we don`t care to read,

>Which will soon take over the entire newsgroup if some people have their
>way. I'm saying, "we ***s" shouldn't be burdened with that when the
>"posts we don't care to read" have nothing to do with skating, else what
>is a newsgroup for?

>> without having to constantly be plagued with your incessant ramblings
>>  concerning off topic posts.

>Oh, baloney. I'm not the only one who gets annoyed, and you know it.
>Trying to demonize me as the only person who cares is a transparent piece
>of crap. And yes, I label it as such because it's my opinion that it is.

ummmm........and all *this* is on topic????

I am now painfully confused and disappointed -- people gripe about off-topic
 posts, yet they post off-topic posts as well....this is a definition of
 hipocracy (no, Trudi, I am NOT calling you a hypo.....hipoc---whatever the
 word is.  I never liked  that word either.)  Arguements like these should be
 taken "outside," or in this case should be moved to private email.  

--Suzie

-----------

For more information on Arkham Asylum's
patients, please call 1 800 ARKHAM 97