Beacom's sentence

Beacom's sentence

Post by Fred Gos » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00


I don't know how federal sentencing guidelines
apply here, but Gary has two strikes against him.

1. I believe the law frowns more on those who maintain
for whatever reason that the tax code doesn't apply to
them and they don't owe taxes than those who simply
get caught cheating.

2. The IRS likes to see "examples" made out of celebrities
convicted of tax evasion -- said to have a chastening effect
on the rest of us.

But, you can certainly point out celebs, Willie Nelson comes
to mind, who have owed much more to the IRS and not gone
to jail.

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Joe Mendiol » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:



> > I don't know how federal sentencing guidelines
> > apply here, but Gary has two strikes against him.

> > 1. I believe the law frowns more on those who maintain
> > for whatever reason that the tax code doesn't apply to
> > them and they don't owe taxes than those who simply
> > get caught cheating.

> That's what I am concerned about in this case.

> It's one thing to be a Leona Helmsley and claim that "Only the little
> people pay taxes," and engage in illegal book-cooking to ensure that
> you
> skip out on paying any taxes that you can possibly skip out on paying.

> (And Leona didn't do so well herself).

> It's another thing entirely to express a philosophical opposition to
> the
> entire concept of taxes, and for that reason refuse to pay them,
> period.

> > 2. The IRS likes to see "examples" made out of celebrities
> > convicted of tax evasion -- said to have a chastening effect
> > on the rest of us.

> Of course, the question then becomes, is Gary really considered a
> celebrity in the eyes of the IRS?

> > But, you can certainly point out celebs, Willie Nelson comes
> > to mind, who have owed much more to the IRS and not gone
> > to jail.

> Actually, I was going to make a joke about it being appropriate that
> Gary
> has been skating to Willie's music...but that does give me an idea. Do
> you
> suppose someone in the skating world (like Gia Guddat) will try to
> throw a
> benefit ice show to help Gary pay his taxes? :-)

     No.  Gary, just as Willie Nelson, will not go to jail because he is
more valuable (and much more able to pay his taxes and fine) if he is
performing.  Nelson did an album and a concert with all proceeds going
to the IRS.  Gary could skate Collins and a couple of pro events for
free, especially if the promoters side with him.  We haven't heard any
reaction from that side yet, have we?

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I don't know how federal sentencing guidelines
> apply here, but Gary has two strikes against him.

> 1. I believe the law frowns more on those who maintain
> for whatever reason that the tax code doesn't apply to
> them and they don't owe taxes than those who simply
> get caught cheating.

That's what I am concerned about in this case.

It's one thing to be a Leona Helmsley and claim that "Only the little
people pay taxes," and engage in illegal book-cooking to ensure that you
skip out on paying any taxes that you can possibly skip out on paying.
(And Leona didn't do so well herself).

It's another thing entirely to express a philosophical opposition to the
entire concept of taxes, and for that reason refuse to pay them, period.

Quote:
> 2. The IRS likes to see "examples" made out of celebrities
> convicted of tax evasion -- said to have a chastening effect
> on the rest of us.

Of course, the question then becomes, is Gary really considered a
celebrity in the eyes of the IRS?

Quote:
> But, you can certainly point out celebs, Willie Nelson comes
> to mind, who have owed much more to the IRS and not gone
> to jail.

Actually, I was going to make a joke about it being appropriate that Gary
has been skating to Willie's music...but that does give me an idea. Do you
suppose someone in the skating world (like Gia Guddat) will try to throw a
benefit ice show to help Gary pay his taxes? :-)

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00


[snip]

Quote:
> > Actually, I was going to make a joke about it being appropriate that
> > Gary
> > has been skating to Willie's music...but that does give me an idea. Do
> > you
> > suppose someone in the skating world (like Gia Guddat) will try to
> > throw a
> > benefit ice show to help Gary pay his taxes? :-)

>      No.  Gary, just as Willie Nelson, will not go to jail because he is
> more valuable (and much more able to pay his taxes and fine) if he is
> performing.  Nelson did an album and a concert with all proceeds going
> to the IRS.  Gary could skate Collins and a couple of pro events for
> free, especially if the promoters side with him.  We haven't heard any
> reaction from that side yet, have we?

No, we haven't. But all this still sidesteps the question: Is Gary going
to pay those taxes, period? Something tells me that even if he does end up
having to pay the taxes, he would rather go to jail and do the time on
principle than just pay the taxes and get off with a lighter sentence like
community service (free shows or whatever). Like I said, we're not talking
about a guy who cheated on his taxes or avoided filing because he was
trying to***the government. We're talking about someone with a
philosophical belief that taxes are wrong. Such people are often more
willing to go to jail for their beliefs than people who have just been
trying to evade the law for their own convenience.

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Monysm » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>> > I don't know how federal sentencing guidelines
>> > apply here, but Gary has two strikes against him.

>> > 1. I believe the law frowns more on those who maintain
>> > for whatever reason that the tax code doesn't apply to
>> > them and they don't owe taxes than those who simply
>> > get caught cheating.

>> That's what I am concerned about in this case.

>> It's one thing to be a Leona Helmsley and claim that "Only the little
>> people pay taxes," and engage in illegal book-cooking to ensure that
>> you
>> skip out on paying any taxes that you can possibly skip out on paying.

>> (And Leona didn't do so well herself).

>> It's another thing entirely to express a philosophical opposition to
>> the
>> entire concept of taxes, and for that reason refuse to pay them,
>> period.

>> > 2. The IRS likes to see "examples" made out of celebrities
>> > convicted of tax evasion -- said to have a chastening effect
>> > on the rest of us.

I'm not sure the federal guidelines were in effect at the time of Willie
 Nelson's situation.  In fact, they were essentially created so that people
 wouldn't be treated so differently, or that one judge wouldn't give a penalty
 way out of whack with the others.  Of course, the effect is ssentially to
 almost entirely limit the court's discretion in sentencing.
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Joe Mendiol » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:




> [snip]

> > > Actually, I was going to make a joke about it being appropriate
> that
> > > Gary
> > > has been skating to Willie's music...but that does give me an
> idea. Do
> > > you
> > > suppose someone in the skating world (like Gia Guddat) will try to

> > > throw a
> > > benefit ice show to help Gary pay his taxes? :-)

> >      No.  Gary, just as Willie Nelson, will not go to jail because
> he is
> > more valuable (and much more able to pay his taxes and fine) if he
> is
> > performing.  Nelson did an album and a concert with all proceeds
> going
> > to the IRS.  Gary could skate Collins and a couple of pro events for

> > free, especially if the promoters side with him.  We haven't heard
> any
> > reaction from that side yet, have we?

> No, we haven't. But all this still sidesteps the question: Is Gary
> going
> to pay those taxes, period? Something tells me that even if he does
> end up
> having to pay the taxes, he would rather go to jail and do the time on

> principle than just pay the taxes and get off with a lighter sentence
> like
> community service (free shows or whatever). Like I said, we're not
> talking
> about a guy who cheated on his taxes or avoided filing because he was
> trying to***the government. We're talking about someone with a
> philosophical belief that taxes are wrong. Such people are often more
> willing to go to jail for their beliefs than people who have just been

> trying to evade the law for their own convenience.

     Gary will pay somebody, no matter if it is the government or his
lawyers.  He will need to be skating for that.
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Lorrie K » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>Something tells me that even if he does end up
>having to pay the taxes, he would rather go to jail and do the time on
>principle than just pay the taxes and get off with a lighter sentence like
>community service (free shows or whatever).

        If Beacom goes to jail, who would sharpen the skates on the Tom
Collins tour?  (semi-serious question)

                                        Lorrie Kim

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:



> >Something tells me that even if he does end up
> >having to pay the taxes, he would rather go to jail and do the time on
> >principle than just pay the taxes and get off with a lighter sentence like
> >community service (free shows or whatever).

>         If Beacom goes to jail, who would sharpen the skates on the Tom
> Collins tour?  (semi-serious question)

Maybe it's time for Doug Ladret to start a bidding war for his services...

--
Trudi
President for Life, International Skate-Trolling Union

To mail me, replace "forgetaboutit" with "frontiernet"

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Gail Turl » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I got  here late, and I don't know all of the details of Gary's
conviction,
other than he *was* convicted.  However, IMO, you work and live in the
United States, then you pay taxes in the United States.  Yes, the tax
code *does* apply to *you* no matter who  you are.  Unless, of course,
you have never had children in school, never used police or fire
service, never driven down a paved road, never benefitted from any
*other* law of the place in which  you live, never benefitted from the
freedom (bought by the *** and sweat of a *lot* of people over the
years) of the place in which you live, never visited a national park or
historical site, and on and on and on.

I like Gary, but these people who have this 'tax code doesn't apply to
me' mentality really***me off, and that includes  him.  If you don't
want
to pay taxes, then find someplace that doesn't have any and move
your ***over there and stay there and enjoy it.

gail
http://SportToday.org/
(Boitano on the web)

"Good-bye England's rose..."
--Elton John and Bernie Taupin

"Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime
feel as indignant as those who are."
--Solon, Athenian lawgiver (635-577 B.C.)

"I can't believe what you've been through.  I can't believe how much
pressure you take on.  I can't believe how strong you are."
--Lew Boitano to his son in Lillehammer

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by BOBEKBCK » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Howdy Y'all(Beacom type talk),
   I must admit, I rather admire this Canadian Beacom for having the
courage to  take a stand. It just too easy to say "Well, I have to pay
taxes so why shouldn't he." (my words.) In a very profound way, his fight
is every American taxpayers fight. Now I'm no expert on the subject, mind
you, but I believe when the income tax was first introduced, the tax rate
was something along the lines of  1 or 2 percent of your total earned
income. Today that figure is now roughly 39%, depending of course on your
income. Add to that the fact that everything you purchase with the money
the government lets you keep is taxed and  that figure fast approaches 50%.
I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a wee bit high to me.
Taxation has always been a bone of contention in this country. It's almost
an American right to complain about them. But like good Americans( lemmings
over the clift), we pay them because we've been conditioned to do so. It's
our duty as citizens. Someone interpreted the words, "promote the general
welfare" from our Constitution as a way of generating extra money for
government growth and we accept it as if nothing's wrong in that. Someday
soon, when the taxman comes to take it all, perhaps just maybe we'll
consider Beacom's tax protest as a modern day Boston Tea Party and not Don
Quixote vs. the windmill IRS. As they say, "Just my humble opinion."  
Take Care,
Robert Bruce Myers
"Words, when well chosen, have so great a force in them that a description
often gives us more lively ideas than the sight of things themselves."
Joseph Addison
The Spectator No. 416

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Fiona McQuarr » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 Now I'm no expert on the subject, mind
: you,
Then why are you posting all this information?

 but I believe when the income tax was first introduced, the tax rate
: was something along the lines of  1 or 2 percent of your total earned
: income. Today that figure is now roughly 39%, depending of course on your
: income. Add to that the fact that everything you purchase with the money
: the government lets you keep is taxed and  that figure fast approaches 50%.
: I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a wee bit high to me.

Shut your face. It's LOW compared to most countries - like Canada, where
Gary "Big House" Beacom would have to pay a lot higher taxes if he was
still living there. And might I point out that the higher taxes we pay in
Canada give us a better social security net and much better public
services. Money collected through income tax goes into services that
benefit everyone (like, ObSkating, public facilities like municipal ice
rinks)......would you like to do without things like paved roads, police,
fire protection, and water and sewer service?

Now go crawl back into your bunker and chew on your freeze-dried military
surplus food with the rest of the Freemen.

Cheers, Fiona

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by BOBEKBCK » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

In article (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:

Quote:
>Then why are you posting all this information?<

 Hi Fiona,
         I have just as much a right to express my opinions here as you do
Fiona. Or do you actually disagree with that statement also?        

Quote:
>Shut your face.<

Personal attack huh?FARRRR OUT!!!
That was really uncalled for but very much appreciated just the same.
Thank-you. You just earned youself a tremendous amount of respect. Careful
though, I understand Canada plans on taxing respect too. ;-)

Quote:
> It's LOW compared to most countries - like Canada,

So what? Apples and oranges. Canada does not concern me, the United States
does.    

Quote:
>where
>Gary "Big House" Beacom would have to pay a lot higher taxes if he was
>still living there.

Gee, now you know why he moved.  

Quote:
>,And might I point out that the higher taxes we pay in
>Canada give us a better social security net and much better public
>services.

And the key word there is "social" right....like social-isim. So that's
why my Canadian buddy picked up 10 cases of cigarette's while down here for
the races last week. Now I get it.  

Quote:
> Money collected through income tax goes into services that
>benefit everyone (like, ObSkating, public facilities like municipal ice
>rinks)......

Why should non-skaters pay for someone else's privilege to skate? Doesn't
seem quite fair now does it? But then socialisim was NEVER mean't to be,
the greater good and all that.

Quote:
>would you like to do without things like paved roads,

Person buys car. Same person buys gas for car. Tax on gas paves roads.
 Does the term "user fee" mean anything to you? GET IT?

Quote:
>Now go crawl back into your bunker and chew on your freeze-dried military
>surplus food with the rest of the Freemen.

What, another personal attack? Now there's nothing I like more than a good
old fashioned stereotype Fiona. I merely mention I admire Beacom's stand so
you therefore conclude I'm a Freeman? C'mon, you can do better than that.
It would be like me infering that your a drunkard given your Canadian
heritage and your use of the term "Cheers." Think about it.....

Quote:
>Cheers, Fiona

Right back at ya Fiona!!! :-)
Please Take Care,

Robert Bruce Myers

"In the last analysis all tyranny rests on fraud, on getting someone to
accept false assumptions, and any man who for one moment abandons or
suspends the questioning spirit has for that moment betrayed humanity."
Bergen Evans

 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Joe Mendiol » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Howdy Y'all(Beacom type talk),
>    I must admit, I rather admire this Canadian Beacom for having the
> courage to  take a stand. It just too easy to say "Well, I have to pay

> taxes so why shouldn't he." (my words.) In a very profound way, his
> fight
> is every American taxpayers fight. Now I'm no expert on the subject,
> mind
> you, but I believe when the income tax was first introduced, the tax
> rate
> was something along the lines of  1 or 2 percent of your total earned
> income. Today that figure is now roughly 39%, depending of course on
> your
> income. Add to that the fact that everything you purchase with the
> money
> the government lets you keep is taxed and  that figure fast approaches
> 50%.
> I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a wee bit high to me.
> Taxation has always been a bone of contention in this country. It's
> almost
> an American right to complain about them. But like good Americans(
> lemmings
> over the clift), we pay them because we've been conditioned to do so.
> It's
> our duty as citizens. Someone interpreted the words, "promote the
> general
> welfare" from our Constitution as a way of generating extra money for
> government growth and we accept it as if nothing's wrong in that.
> Someday
> soon, when the taxman comes to take it all, perhaps just maybe we'll
> consider Beacom's tax protest as a modern day Boston Tea Party and not
> Don
> Quixote vs. the windmill IRS. As they say, "Just my humble opinion."

     If Gary Beacom walked into court with this argument, they are
probably still laughing at him.  Should Gary now claim that since
American postage used to be at 1 cent that the post office is illegal
for charging 30.5 cents (first class bulk rate) for the tickets
Tickmaster mails for Champions on Ice (which also happen to pay the
salary he doesn't want to report)?  Since I have old ads for new cars at
$2500, can I have my local car dealer arrested for extortion thanks to
the higher prices now?
     Fed Chairman Bud Greenspan can belch something that sounds like the
word "inflation" and the stock market flips over.  You say that
inflation is a reason for nobody to pay taxes?!!!  Now I've heard
everything!!!  Gary Beacom is smarter than that, I hope.
 
 
 

Beacom's sentence

Post by Spam Hat » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> Now I'm no expert on the subject, mind
>: you,
>Then why are you posting all this information?

> but I believe when the income tax was first introduced, the tax rate
>: was something along the lines of  1 or 2 percent of your total earned
>: income. Today that figure is now roughly 39%, depending of course on your
>: income. Add to that the fact that everything you purchase with the money
>: the government lets you keep is taxed and  that figure fast approaches 50%.
>: I don't know about anyone else, but that seems a wee bit high to me.

>Shut your face. It's LOW compared to most countries - like Canada, where
>Gary "Big House" Beacom would have to pay a lot higher taxes if he was
>still living there. And might I point out that the higher taxes we pay in
>Canada give us a better social security net and much better public
>services. Money collected through income tax goes into services that
>benefit everyone (like, ObSkating, public facilities like municipal ice
>rinks)......would you like to do without things like paved roads, police,
>fire protection, and water and sewer service?

>Now go crawl back into your bunker and chew on your freeze-dried military
>surplus food with the rest of the Freemen.

>Cheers, Fiona

Municipal ice rinks benefit me, a non-skater, how?

If I unluckily have a fire, then I should have to pay for the costs
out of my own pocket.  

It's like in college, where one must pay (at my school) a couple
hundred dollars of fees each term for a Fitness Center I may not use
and a daycare center I certainly cannot use.  

The ideal purpose of a government is to protect the rights of others.
Taxes actually infringe on those rights.  

If Some-Country takes 99% of their citizens' income for taxes, it
still doesn't make paying a ludicrous amount of taxes in the USA
Right.

Now, Gary could have protested in a more effective way, I believe, by
writing articles or making speeches about why he doesn't believe in
taxes.  He can do that more effectively if he's not in jail.