Usova & Platov teaming

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Operetta » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this week's
Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People section.
It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate with
Maia Usova. At least he tried to. Pasha disappeared. She has hung up on him
when he calls. She claims he hasn't called. Platov said: "There is sadness
because we are great skaters together, but there is relief because I will have
another life that I deserve. I'm expecting a new, happy life with no stress."

The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

Jas

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Fiona McQuarr » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this week's
: Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People section.
: It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate with
: Maia Usova. At least he tried to. Pasha disappeared. She has hung up on him
: when he calls. She claims he hasn't called. Platov said: "There is sadness
: because we are great skaters together, but there is relief because I will have
: another life that I deserve. I'm expecting a new, happy life with no stress."

: The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
: wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

If I may make a comment...this is really dumb. Even though Evgeny has been
called here and in other places "The Guy Who Skates With Pasha" :) it is
still Grishuk and Platov that have the "name" as world and Olympic
champions. Platov and Usova is just going to confuse people and isn't
going to draw audiences in.

This IMHO is like when Cindy Landry (ex partner of Lyndon Johnson) skated
professional pairs with Peter Oppegard (ex partner of Jill Watson). Both
very competent skaters, both world medalists in pairs, but didn't have an
extended professional career because their "name" (s) was/were with other
partners.

Cheers, Fiona

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Shuil » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Wow! This is true. The URL is:

http://www.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/980803/people.people...

Why did Platov and Pasha split though? I thought they would earn lots of money
as pros. People may not like them, but they are very good technically and also
very innovative. I thought the dances they did at the 97 Europeans and
Worlds(the tango OD and the Arabian FD) were breathtaking.  I thought they
deserved all the 6.0s they got, especially at Europeans. Maybe that's why I was
disappointed with their 98 Olympic programs, since the 97 programs were so
good. Still, if they do programs like 97 as a pro, I would pay money to see
them. It's too bad that they broke up.  Does Pasha seriously think she would be
a movie star? I bet she'd be begging to team up with Platov again in a year.

Also, what does everyone think of Usova&Platov as a team? Do they make a good
or awkward couple?  I know both are good dancers, but will they mix well?

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Tracy Johns » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>: I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this week's
>: Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People section.
>: It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate with
>: Maia Usova.

>If I may make a comment...this is really dumb. Even though Evgeny has been
>called here and in other places "The Guy Who Skates With Pasha" :) it is
>still Grishuk and Platov that have the "name" as world and Olympic
>champions. Platov and Usova is just going to confuse people and isn't
>going to draw audiences in.

Well, that's true, but sometimes there are more important things that
"drawing audiences in". For starters, the fact that Maia Usova will
(one hopes) be much happier skating with someone else. From Platov's
perspective, if Pasha is really so concerned with getting that big
Hollywood career going, maybe he wants to have a partner with whom he
can be a little more settled and with whom the focus will be on
*skating*. Heck, maybe he wants a partner with whom he won't be known
as just "that guy", the what's-his-name who skates with the
attention-getting drama queen.

Tracy

--------------------

Visit The Story Exchange at http://storyexchange.paconline.net

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Frazzk » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>If I may make a comment...this is really dumb. Even though Evgeny has been
>called here and in other places "The Guy Who Skates With Pasha" :) it is
>still Grishuk and Platov that have the "name" as world and Olympic
>champions. Platov and Usova is just going to confuse people and isn't
>going to draw audiences in.

I agree that it is going to be confusing at first but I also can understand
Platov's reasons.  From what I have seen on TV (interviews and small clips)
Pasha has to have the limelight and poor Evgeny just sits there quietly.  He
deserves more recognition, besides he is very good looking.

When Grishuk and Platov went pro after the olympics andPasha decided she wanted
to persue an acting career my first thought was "What about Evgeny?"  What will
become of him or his career?  I think that it is great that he is making a
decision for himself (finally).  But skating with Usova? I have a hard time
picturing this one.  I thought Usova and Zhulin skated so well together.   But
I guess things don't last forever like we'd like!

Frazzkat

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Valer » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
>wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

With a smile on her lips and great glee in her heart?  ;-)

Val, looking forward to seeing this...

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Operetta » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:

>: I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this
>week's
>: Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People
>section.
>: It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate
>with
>: Maia Usova. At least he tried to. Pasha disappeared. She has hung up on him
>: when he calls. She claims he hasn't called. Platov said: "There is sadness
>: because we are great skaters together, but there is relief because I will
>have
>: another life that I deserve. I'm expecting a new, happy life with no
>stress."

>: The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
>: wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

>If I may make a comment...this is really dumb. Even though Evgeny has been
>called here and in other places "The Guy Who Skates With Pasha" :) it is
>still Grishuk and Platov that have the "name" as world and Olympic
>champions. Platov and Usova is just going to confuse people and isn't
>going to draw audiences in.

>This IMHO is like when Cindy Landry (ex partner of Lyndon Johnson) skated
>professional pairs with Peter Oppegard (ex partner of Jill Watson). Both
>very competent skaters, both world medalists in pairs, but didn't have an
>extended professional career because their "name" (s) was/were with other
>partners.

>Cheers, Fiona

I think the answer lies with Platov's words: "I'm expecting a new, HAPPY life
with NO STRESS." :-) There's something more important than money or
marketability.

Jas

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by PegLew » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:



>>The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
>>wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

>With a smile on her lips and great glee in her heart?  ;-)

Ah, the delicious irony of Platov disrupting Zhulin's life, roughly parallel to
Pasha disrupting Usova's life.

Didn't Zhulin recently pass his students to another coach so he'd be free to
tour?

Peg, bummed because she liked Us/Zh, but intrigued by the possibilities for
Us/Pl, and wondering if skaters ever sued one another for breech of contract
when dissolution of a partnership caused loss of a tour gig for the left-our
partner...


Visit The All-Kwan Network at http://members.aol.com/AllKwanNet/index.html
Visit Ljudmillia's text archives (courtesy Don Edwards) at
http://home.swbell.net/icedance/millia.htm
SmallovianNGB site coming soon!

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by j.. » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:


> : I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this week's
> : Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People section.
> : It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate with
> : Maia Usova. At least he tried to. Pasha disappeared. She has hung up on him
> : when he calls. She claims he hasn't called. Platov said: "There is sadness
> : because we are great skaters together, but there is relief because I will have
> : another life that I deserve. I'm expecting a new, happy life with no stress."

> : The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
> : wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

> If I may make a comment...this is really dumb. Even though Evgeny has been
> called here and in other places "The Guy Who Skates With Pasha" :) it is
> still Grishuk and Platov that have the "name" as world and Olympic
> champions. Platov and Usova is just going to confuse people and isn't
> going to draw audiences in.

> This IMHO is like when Cindy Landry (ex partner of Lyndon Johnson) skated
> professional pairs with Peter Oppegard (ex partner of Jill Watson). Both
> very competent skaters, both world medalists in pairs, but didn't have an
> extended professional career because their "name" (s) was/were with other
> partners.

> Cheers, Fiona

Fiona, I understand your point but in the relatively thin world of pro
ice dancing, they will still get invited to all of the big
competitions and shows so they will have plenty of opportunity to
engage viewers and build a fan base.  

JEN

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by zagg.. » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
> I'm not sure whether this pairing has been confirmed earlier. In this week's
> Time magazine (8/3/98), there's a small article about it in its People
section.
> It reported that Platov told Grishuk on 7/19 that he had decided to skate with
> Maia Usova. At least he tried to. Pasha disappeared. She has hung up on him
> when he calls. She claims he hasn't called. Platov said: "There is sadness
> because we are great skaters together, but there is relief because I will have
> another life that I deserve. I'm expecting a new, happy life with no stress."

> The title of the article? "What's Russian for 'Soap Opera'", of course. I'm
> wondering how Maia told Zhulin. :-)

> Jas

This is seems more like Jerry Springer than a soap opera to me.  I can just
imagine it now.

Springer: So Maya, you say Oksana broke up your marriage

Maya: Yes, Oksana had an affair with my husband/partner

Pasha: My name is no longer Oksana, it's Pasha missy.

(fight in between.  Guards break it up).

Springer: Okay, now Pasha, now you say Maya stole your partner.

Maya: I didn't steal him.  He left her because she thought she was a (beep)

Pasha: That's a (beep).

Springer: Okay, let's bring Evgeny out, and we'll hear what he has to say.

(crowd hollers).

Nicholas
(yes, this is lame and yes, I do watch Jerry Springer.  Just for laughs
though).,

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp   Create Your Own Free Member Forum

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Tmom » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Oh boy, skating is turning into a soap opera!!!!  
Maybe it will be Platov and Usova and then if Pasha's Hollywood career does not
work ou it t will be Gritchuk and Zulin? (Isn't that the original reason for
all this unhappiness  in the first place?

An elegant skater with a powerful one.  Hmm.  Could be interesting.  

But you know, the trashing Pasha took under the loving care of CBS is really
appalling
.  
Hold on for the ride, is all I have to say.  

Tmoms

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Sharonil » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Nicholas!

     Your Jerry Springer interpretation of the Usova/Zhulin/Grischuk/Platov
menage a quartre was hilarious! I wish you had taken it to the "pushing Pasha's
face in the soup" part though! JerRY! JerRY! JerRY!

Shari

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Louis Epste » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

:
: This IMHO is like when Cindy Landry (ex partner of Lyndon Johnson) skated
: professional pairs with Peter Oppegard (ex partner of Jill Watson). Both
: very competent skaters, both world medalists in pairs, but didn't have an
: extended professional career because their "name" (s) was/were with other
: partners.
:
: Cheers, Fiona

L&O were a great pair who COULDN'T have skated together as amateurs
because they're from different countries.

She moved on to Burt Lancon,Watson's partner before Oppegard...

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by PegLew » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
(Tmoms) writes:
>Oh boy, skating is turning into a soap opera!!!!  
>Maybe it will be Platov and Usova and then if Pasha's Hollywood career does
>not
>work ou it t will be Gritchuk and Zulin? (Isn't that the original reason for
>all this unhappiness  in the first place?

Yeah, but how many twizzles can Sasha-the-choreographer stand to put into one
program?

Peg ;-)

Visit The All-Kwan Network at http://members.aol.com/AllKwanNet/index.html
Visit Ljudmillia's text archives (courtesy Don Edwards) at
http://home.swbell.net/icedance/millia.htm
SmallovianNGB site coming soon!

 
 
 

Usova & Platov teaming

Post by Valer » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>Oh boy, skating is turning into a soap opera!!!!  

No, no.  It will be a soap opera is Zhulin does their choreography...  
;-)

Val